7.8

2. dealership repaired (3 reports)
2006 Nissan Altima engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Nissan Altima:

2006 Nissan Altima Owner Comments

Nov 012013

Altima LS 2.5L

My car started out my having the check engine light on and being hard to start. After trying a few times it would eventually start, but it got so it took longer and longer to get it started now it won't start at all. It turns over, but it won't catch. A mechanic hooked it up to a computer and it said it was the crankshaft position sensor. I bought this and when trying to install it, it was found to not fit, but was tried to make it fit, so it messed up the plug in (connector). I bought a new one, but no luck getting it started.

Then I was told I needed a cam shaft sensor. This was installed, but car still won't start. Now I'm told it's the fuel filter. Has anyone else had these same problems, but were able to get the car fixed. I'm only $236.00 into trying to get the car working, and I don't want to put more into it if nothing is going to work.

- , Rushville, NE, USA

Aug 042012

Altima

My Altima has 129,000 miles on it, so I'm happy that I haven't had any crippling issues, however, this car definitely has engine sensor issues that can be really dangerous. Today, the engine died at low speeds at least 10 times. We pulled over for a while, checked to see what shops were open (none locally on a Saturday), then resumed driving. After a few more stalls, we mapped out a route across the city that didn't involve major streets. The car drove for at least 15 miles and 30 minutes without another stall. I have a feeling this will be a sporadic problem. It didn't ever stall at high speeds, and it cranks just fine every time. The alternator was putting out 13.7V while running, and the battery is at 12.9V when off. This doesn't seem like an alternator problem, and I'd probably waste a lot of money investigating it. It is a scary safety vulnerability, and unfortunately, I will only be able to drive the car to work for a while (i.e. not through heavy traffic).

Six months ago, the car wouldn't crank. It seemed as if it had a clogged fuel filter. After letting the starter crank for about 30 seconds and giving it some gas, it finally lurched into a normal engine idle, and the issue NEVER happened again. That's the weird thing about these problems: I don't think they're predictable. I believe the stories of others: that their problems persist after having the prescribed "repairs" made. I think it's a design flaw that Nissan can't actually fix. I can verify that the 2006 models are not on the factory recall, at least according to the dealer we called.

It's just sad that now cars are most susceptible to computer problems, not mechanical problems. I'll probably continue to use it as a work car, since it's paid off. This leaves a bad taste in my mouth, though. I think it's hard for modern cars to last past 5 years. I'm not sure if I'll get another Nissan, because it's obvious that there is a problem and they don't seem to be proactive in solving it and protecting drivers.

- , Destrehan, LA, USA

Apr 132012

Altima SE 2.5L

So I bought my used Nissan Altima back in 2010; 67000 miles for a 2006 seemed like a steal; everybody told me what a great car it was and I would be soooooo very happy by being its owner...and that was true; until the crank sensor went in february...and then it went again along with the air mass sensor in april. My car is parked outside right now and I pray to God it will start up tonight to get me home. Its silly that in all other cars the censors will go but the car itself will still function; with nissan altima's once the censors go you are out of luck. within 2 months the car broke sown again and I guess I look rich because 500.00 per repair every two months is what I have paid...im going to the car lot saturday...can you say trade in?? YES! Very very very very very disappointed....

- , Durham, NC, USA

Mar 302006

Altima Sedan 2.5SE

Since I bought my car I always felt noises inside my car as hydraulic lifters valve empty, but this king of cars doesn't have hydraulic lifters, and this noises were only when the car was cold, after almost 7 minutes warming the noises disappear.For years I was commenting to the dealer about that but they never feeling nothing. Today Nov.15,2010 the car with 62,000 miles didn't want to start or was taking it too much time for to do, and the light Engine Service soon was turned ON, I take the car to the dealer service and they detected that the Crankshaft Position Sensor was bad and needed to be replaced. Right now checking the web site, the Nissan recalls I checked that the sensor Position of the Crankshaft was on recall from 2008 and I never received any notice from Nissan about that unless the dealer didn't check under their history if my problem was under this recall. Do you think that they have to recognize the recall and reimburse my money?

- , Leesburg, VA, USA

Jul 012010

Altima S 2.5L

I purchased a 2006 Nissan Altima (Brand New) 2 months after I purchased it, a recall required a "NEW" engine be installed. Since then it has been in and out of the shop for recalls. My problem now is the check engine light is on and my car shut off on me in the middle of the road. I popped into Auto Zone to check it out and it is the crankshaft sensor. There is a recall for this on the 2006 Altima's but mine is not included. So I am supposed to pay 397.00 to have this fixed! I don't think so. I feel I was sold a LEMON. And I should not have to pay for this repair!

- , Charleston, SC, USA

Jun 142010

Altima 2.5L 4 cyl

I bought the Altima used because I have heard a lot of wonderful things about Nissans. About one week after I bought the car I tried to start it to go to work. The car turned over several times but would not start. 4 times I tried to start the car with the same results, on the 5th try the car started right up. This now occurs daily. I never get into the car thinking it will start right up. I took the car to my auto mechanic for him to fix, he said it was most likely the crank angle sensor and it's about $100 to fix. The car sat at his shop for three days and he never had a problem with it starting so he couldn't fix it. Sure enough the car constantly leaves me in a panic because it never starts right away. So, now I'm not sure what to do. I bought a new car because I was constantly getting stranded and having to fix my old one. I'm about to push my altima off a cliff. I new I should have stayed with Toyota.

- , Chico, CA, USA

Feb 152010

Altima SL 2.5L

I had this same problem when my car had 29,000 miles. Nissan repaired under warranty. I was driving down the interstate with my daughter & the car jerked & almost died. That's definitely not a good sign. Well, it happened again today. I went in today & they told me $287. I told them that I had a problem with paying anything. I asked if he didn't see a pattern? Every 30,000 miles? He said no. I told him this was not a wearable item & he said warranty does not cover this. I told him to look it up on the internet. There is a huge issue the Nissan is not addressing. I had no choice but to repair. They did call back & say they tried to get Nissan to cover under "Good Will", but they said no. I ask you this, what if my car would have died in the middle lane on the interstate? I probably wouldn't be typing this. That is scary? Are they going to wait until someone wrecks to address this issue? Is this another "Toyota Like" cover Up???????????

- , Knoxville, TN, USA

Sep 102009

Altima 2.5L

I find it extremely hard to believe that I am subjected to replacing a catalytic converter for a 2006 Nissan Altima which I purchased new in May 2006. I have read hundreds of complaints about the catalytic converter and the crankshaft sensor problems with the Nissan Altima. My car just started to bucking while driving on the interstate and not starting with no warning. According to the representative, Nissan is investigating this problem and will issue reimbursement to owners who make the repairs. I will follow up with Nissan every 2 weeks for the next several months until the problem is resolved. Nissan must take responsibility for this problem IMMEDIATELY before an unnecessary death occurs.

- , Duluth, GA, USA

Oct 082009

Altima Special Edition

On previous models of the Nissan Altima, this problem was so bad that Nissan actually issued a recall. Unfortunately, the 2006 model is NOT covered under recall, nor is it covered under the extended warranty that I purchased for $2,100. This is a dangerous malfunction, the car will stop, no matter how fast you are driving, and you could lose complete control of the vehicle. Luckily, my daughter (who is only 18) was not traveling very fast, but she was scared to death. What was scarier? Hearing that my purchased extended warranty wasn't going to pay, and also Nissan of North America basically telling me they were sorry. I am seeking restitution with the BBB, and if that doesn't work, I will hire a lawyer. I'm sick of being shafted by dealers and big corporations, while my life and my child's are at stake.

- , Slidell, LA, USA