2008 Nissan Altima accessories - exterior problems

accessories - exterior problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Nissan Altima:

2008 Nissan Altima Owner Comments (Page 6 of 7)

May 072012

The dashboard on my 2008 Nissan Altima coupe 2.5S is melting. The melting started around the edges of the speaker grill and the top part of the dashboard. I have tried to remove the residue with different products, but nothing seems to work. The melting has progressed to a point where it impairs my vision due to the reflection of sun on the windshield. The car is out of warranty and Nissan refuses to replace the dashboard. I am only one of hundreds of people affected with this issue. A quick search online for the words "melting" "dashboard" and "Altima" will pop up more than a dozen threads from people who have the same problem. Most of them are from sates where the temperatures are regularly hot.

- Hialeah, FL, USA

Aug 072013

Altima 4-cyl

My 2008 Nissan Altima dashboard is melting and the glare from the molten rubber/plastic creates a reflection on the windshield which makes it very difficult to drive in the sun and is potentially very dangerous. I contacted Nissan about this and they say that they cannot do anything about this even though it is obviously a factory defect. They want to charge me 3000 $ to replace the dashboard which I do no intend on doing it as I feel like it is Nissan's responsibility to replace the dashboard.

- Jersey Village, TX, USA

Jan 242014

Altima 4-cyl

My Altima coupe has a melting dashboard that causes visibility issues by glaring into my windscreen. It is melted and bubbly. Also my passenger seat belt light cuts on and off due to my passenger seat bracket being faulty. I have not heard back from Nissan on a way to resolve these safety issues.

- Pensacola, FL, USA

Oct 312011

I purchased a 2008 Nissan Altima coupe from a used car dealership, it has turned out to be a great car except the issue that appears to happen to many of their dashboards. They begin to melt from just general daily exposure to the sun. It has created a glare that makes it difficult to see out the windshield while driving even with sunglasses. I spoke with two technicians at Nissan dealerships and they have agreed that it must be the material used that year on the dashboard. Upon taking this issue up with Nissan they said they would not replace the piece, and have not taken responsibility for the issue and the material that they placed in this vehicle. This will continue to be a safety concern and will not escalate until unfortunately someone gets into a accident due to the material they used on this dashboard. Nissan, I feel should take responsibility for the material used and replace the piece not only for myself but others, not just because it looks terrible but that it is a safety concern at this point.

- Miami, FL, USA

Feb 012012

Dashboard has begun to deteriorate/melt and has turned into a shiny, reflective goo. It is reflecting onto the windshield and at the right angle can be completely blinding. This will absolutely cause an accident. Dealership is aware of multiple additional vehicles and no manufacturer recalls have been issued.

- Naples, FL, USA

Feb 152012

The car: 2008 Nissan Altima coupe 3.5 SE. In 2012 I noticed the dashboard was getting shiny, and had a melted feeling to it. I had to buy a dash cover to keep the glare away, if facing the sun while driving. Now in 2014 the dash is cracked all over and sticky. This issue should be addressed by Nissan. Not only is it a safety hazard, I makes reselling the car almost impossible. Dealer quote for new dash panel, $2500.

- Saint Petersburg, FL, USA

Oct 102012

The contact owns a 2008 Nissan Altima. The contact stated that the windshield was impairing the contact's vision. The manufacturer stated that they would not replace the window. The failure mileage was 84,000.

- Campbell, CA, USA

Dec 142013

The contact owns a 2008 Nissan Altima. The contact stated that the heat from the sun melted the dashboard. In addition, the reflection of the dashboard was blinding to the contact when driving. The contact took the vehicle to the dealer and no reason was provided for the defect. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified and no solution was offered. The failure mileage was 58,000.

- Hollywood , FL, USA

Feb 062013

Altima 4-cyl

Dashboard has been melting creating a shiny coat that reflects to the front windshield diminishing visibility and creating potential hazards, specially during the day as it omits a blinding sun glare. The car no longer has Nissan warranty and considering the hazard and the amount of people with the issue Nissan should issue a recall for this type of dashboards to prevent accidents.

- Boynton Beach, FL, USA

Dec 102013

Altima 4-cyl

Dashboard of this vehicle is emitting a sticky, shiny, substance, which likely indicates deterioration of the composition of the dashboard, making driving hazardous, as it makes visibility out the windshield difficult. The sticky substance is highly reflective, making driving in the sun very dangerous.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Jan 012013

Altima 4-cyl

I own a 2008 Nissan Altima coupe and the dashboard is melting. After some research I discovered that I am not the only one with this problem. We will all file complaints due to the severity of this issue. The dashboard melting is causing a reflection onto the windshield and making it see. I am trying to prevent an accident resulting from this issue. I started to notice the problem, but it was minute. I am researching out now because it has progressively gotten worse. Location: Florida ( most of the cars with this problem are located in Florida and Texas).

- Tampa, FL, USA

Jun 032013

Altima 4-cyl

Since 6/2013 the dashboard of this vehicle is emitting a sticky, shiny, substance, which likely indicates deterioration of the composition of the dashboard, making driving hazardous, as it makes visibility out the windshield difficult. The sticky substance is highly reflective, making driving in the sun very dangerous. I have made multiple trips to our Nissan dealership to explain the situation, and although they indicate that they have observed this situation with this particular model/year, they are not willing to rectify the situation. I also contacted consumer services with Nissan and they are not willing to replace the dashboard, even though it presents a hazard to driving the vehicle.

- Port Charlotte, FL, USA

May 172013

Altima 4-cyl

My dashboard has melted creating a terrible glare that is not just distracting while driving but dangerous because I cannot see through my windshield during the day or when on coming headlights come towards me during the night. Not only is it terribly dangerous but the melting is making my dash sticky causing parking passes to stick and leave residue.

- Bonita Springs , FL, USA

Sep 202012

Altima 4-cyl

Dashboard melted, causing a bright vision-affecting glare on the inside of the windshield. Reduces visibility greatly, will likely cause an accident before too long.

- Atlanta, GA, USA

May 202013

Altima 4-cyl

Dashboard has started to melt in my 2008 Nissan Altima coupe that has greatly impaired my vision when driving on the road on a sunny day. The glare reflected from the melting portion of my dash is reflected onto my windshield. I have almost been in multiple accidents due to the lack of visibility.

- Houston, TX, USA

Sep 102012

Altima 4-cyl

I have a 2008 Nissan Altima with only 25,000 miles on it. Garage keep. Very nice car. I noticed last month a spot that looked liked my dash melted. Now a month later it has spread. I have put nothing on it. It looks very shiny and sticky when touched. It looks like the material is breaking down. I can not drive this car on a sunny day because all I see in my front windshield is the reflection of my dash. I almost hit someone the other day having to swerve just in time. I couldn't even see them. Just black shiny dash. This has gone on long enough. I have called and they just kinda laugh saying " I've never heard of that". you can clearly tell the material is breaking down. This should not happen and Nissan should fix this before something bad happens.

- Smith Station, AL, USA

Oct 062013

Altima 4-cyl

The dashboard is melting causing glare on the windshield which can lead to an accident due to limited visibility.

- Miami, FL, USA

May 172013

Altima 4-cyl

The dashboard on my 2008 Nissan Altima coupe started melting around may, 2013. At first it was not noticeable but now there are big shiny, sticky patches on my dashboard. This would not be a problem but while driving during the day the sun reflects off of the melted areas and causes a glare on my windshield that greatly reduces my visibility. Because of that I tend to not drive it often. Also its giving off the smell of burned plastic. After doing some research I found I am not the only one who is having this problem. It seems common in places like Texas, Florida, and California. Https://

- Houston, TX, USA

Apr 012012

Altima 4-cyl

2008 Altima coupe in southern Louisiana with no aftermarket modifications has a melting dashboard. The textured surface of the dashboard has melted to a sticky, smooth, and reflective surface. The material on the dashboard above the odometer and passenger air bag nearest to the windshield is sticky and reflects sunlight onto the windshield causing a glare while driving. Safety is at risk due to inability to see past glare on windshield while driving. Glare is caused by the sun reflecting off of the melting dashboard points. There have never been any chemicals wiped on the dashboard during ownership.

- New Orleans, LA, USA

May 272013

Altima 4-cyl

I've been having an issue with my 2008 Nissan Altima dashboard melting and causing a glare on the windshield that impairs driving ability. This is completely unsafe on the road, and visibility can often become an issue when temperatures are high.

- Metairie, LA, USA