2008 Nissan Altima body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Nissan Altima:

2008 Nissan Altima Owner Comments (Page 10 of 10)

Oct 012011

Altima 4-cyl

There is a consistent issue with this particular maker, model and year. The "melting dashboard". the material used to make the rubber-type dashboard begins to "melt". the surface is sticky and causes very bad windshield sun glare, which can be dangerous. My wife will not drive car because of this. I have documented photos and comments from other car owners.

- Rotonda West, FL, USA

Sep 012012

Altima 4-cyl

I purchased a brand new 08 Nissan Altima 2.5S in September of 2007. I live in central Florida, and for more than a year, my dashboard has turned shiny, sticky, and is quite literally melting. The last 6 months to a year, I noticed that the part around the radio unit has been cracking and "softening". in the daytime, the shiny melting part of the dash reflects onto my windshield and creates a blinding glare that makes it difficult and dangerous to even see the road. I have tried various cleaning solutions until I realized that wasn't the problem. I have come across many people who have been experiencing the same problem, most in Florida, and all 2008 Altima. I will enclose a link to the forum where many Altima owners have found thanks to google with the issue. I would be happy to send some pictures of the dashboard if necessary.

- St Cloud, FL, USA

Oct 092013

Altima 4-cyl

It appears as if my dashboard is "melting." The finish on the dashboard is disappearing and it had became very sticky and there is a glare on the dash that is hindering visibility. I have researched the problem and it appears to be common on 2008 Nissan Altima and my concerns that it will only get worse. I would like to make this problem aware now before it gets worse.

- Gainesville, FL, USA

Oct 062013

Altima 4-cyl

The dashboard is melting causing glare on the windshield which can lead to an accident due to limited visibility.

- Miami, FL, USA

Mar 012012

Altima 6-cyl

The dashboard is sticky and melting. The car is garage parked and I use sun shades when it is parked outside. The dash is melting so badly that the glare is blocking my ability to see things on the road.

- Pflugerville , TX, USA

Aug 152013

Altima 4-cyl

Dash appears to be melting. Car was purchased in tulsa in 2011 while I was living in Arkansas...moved to Kansas in July 2013 and noticed in August that my dash appears to be melting. Car has been most exclusively parked in garage....this slick, wet like appearance causes glare on windshield making it hard to see....I took the car to state line Nissan in Kansas City, mo last week and they dismissed the issue even though I am still covered by a Nissan warranty.

- Overland Park, KS, USA

Aug 292013

Altima 6-cyl

My dash has started to melt. Its ugly but the main issue is driving in the sun. The spots that are melting are very shinny and at times causes me to not be able to see the road. I am concerned for my safety and the safety of others on the road.

- Newnan, GA, USA

Aug 012009

Dashboard melts in high temperature climates. Glare from melt is so bad that it is impossible to see the road. Visibility is a serious issue at this point and Nissan has refused to replace or issue a recall.

- Miami, FL, USA

May 172013

Altima 4-cyl

The dashboard on my 2008 Nissan Altima coupe started melting around may, 2013. At first it was not noticeable but now there are big shiny, sticky patches on my dashboard. This would not be a problem but while driving during the day the sun reflects off of the melted areas and causes a glare on my windshield that greatly reduces my visibility. Because of that I tend to not drive it often. Also its giving off the smell of burned plastic. After doing some research I found I am not the only one who is having this problem. It seems common in places like Texas, Florida, and California. Https://

- Houston, TX, USA

Sep 012012

Altima 4-cyl

My dashboard is melting on my 2008 Nissan Altima. It creates a glare on the windshield which makes visibility difficult. I use windshield visors and I don't use harsh cleaners/chemicals on my dashboard for cleaning. It is a defect from production and should be recalled for safety concerns.

- Dunedin, FL, USA

Jul 012012

Altima 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2008 Nissan Altima. The contact stated that the dash board melted and created a glare over the windshield. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for inspection. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The dashboard was not replaced. The approximate failure mileage was 68,000 and the current mileage was 83,000. Updated 03/31/14 updated 04/01/14

- Gainsville , FL, USA

Aug 052013

Altima 4-cyl

My dashboard is melting, looks like it is wet in certain spots and the glare is very uncontrollable while driving. I did not use any chemicals on the dashboard such as armor all (I say I did not because that is what the dealership said I had done) I have been searching online and there are several posts of this happening to other people. Seems like is a manufacturer problem and I can not afford 1200 to change my dashboard. Thank you,

- St. Petersburg, FL, USA

Apr 012013

A few months ago, while cleaning the interior of my car I noticed the dashboard was sticky in a small area on the driver's side. Thinking it was something that could be cleaned I applied an adhesive remover but had no positive results. Now that we are in the dead heat of summer, the problem has gotten worse and has now spread to the passenger side along with creating an unbelievable glare from the windshield. Now, when I touch it, pieces of the material stick to my finger. That was real eye opener to look into it and see if it has been a problem with other Nissan owners. With only a few mins. Of research I'm finding that it's widely common, especially here in fl. I have also noticed a crack that spans about 15 inches along the bridge of the dashboard just above the gauges. This isn't the Nissan quality we hear about! totally unacceptable!

- St. Augustine, FL, USA

Dec 122011

Altima 4-cyl

Dash of vehicle became sticky to the touch-seemed melted. This causes a sheen that when reflected onto the windshield forms an unsafe glare when driving.

- Metairie, LA, USA

May 012013

Altima 4-cyl

My dashboard started to melt with the rising temperatures this summer and is spreading and getting worse as the temperature rises...... which is caused by the substandard materials they used to manufacture the dashboard... <<<< in this day and age, what else could it be >>>> and has developed a sheen that is reflecting a large glare back at the windshield which makes it unsafe to drive on sunlit days.

- Long Beach, MS, USA

May 272013

Altima 4-cyl

I've been having an issue with my 2008 Nissan Altima dashboard melting and causing a glare on the windshield that impairs driving ability. This is completely unsafe on the road, and visibility can often become an issue when temperatures are high.

- Metairie, LA, USA

Apr 022013

Altima 4-cyl

I own a 2008 Nissan Altima coupe. The dashboard which is the original has begun to melt and the glare is very bad. I have not added any solvents or chemicals to the dashboard. I find it hard to drive on sunny days due to my windshield reflecting the glare caused by the melting dashboard. This problem could have caused me to be in numerous accidents. I have searched for a remedy to this problem yet the only one is to replace the dashboard and I imagine this would just happen again due to the material the dashboard is made from. I would hope Nissan recalls these dashboards and makes new ones. I have also looked into this and I am not the only one with this problem.

- Fort Walton Beach , FL, USA

Sep 172012

Altima 4-cyl

Affected area of vehicle :dashboard this is a safety hazard! this vehicle was purchased on 7/14/2012. At the time of purchase, it had approximately 36889 miles. Purchased as a previously owned vehicle. About one month after, we noticed that the top of the dashboard by the windshield material started to melt. The material, is like a foam that gets hot, sticky and starts to melt. It can start a fire any minute. We took the vehicle to the Nissan dealership, located at semoran blvd in orlando, fl, the same place we bought the car two months before. The staff at the dealership proceeded to inform me that, after several visits, that they never seen something like that and they couldn't do anything because the warranty expired. We took the vehicle to a Nissan authorized shop. The technician informed us that for the Nissan model for that year 2008 the material used was not the standard one. We are reaching out to Nissan to remedy this problem immediately. This is not only an issue that needs to be cover by the manufacturer and present a safety hazard to my family and the community in general. If we don't hear from Nissan in 10 days we are going to go to BBB and the government. Updated 02/06/13

- Orlando, FL, USA