2012 Nissan Altima drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Nissan Altima:

2012 Nissan Altima Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Aug 292016

I have had the issues of losing power while driving my Altima at a speed of 60 mph for longer than an hour I would lose all power. I would be driving on the highway moving with traffic at a speed of 75 -80 mph and then all of a sudden with no warning lights my car will start to lose power and drop all the way to 40 mph. Now I am trying to go from the fast lane over two other lanes while losing power. I am lucky that I haven't been rear ended at this point. I have been complaining about this issue to Nissan since I purchased the car in 2012 I have brought it into Nissan on Oct 2013, May 2015 and June 2016 that I have receipts for. In 2013 and 2015 I was told by Nissan there was nothing wrong with my car then in June 2016 I was told I needed a new transmission. I received a quote of $2304.72 and 10 hours of labor in June 2016 now Aug 29 2016 I am being told that it will be over $3500 for a new transmission. There is a service bulletin out dated Nov 25 2015 for this exact issue I am having my transmission has finally gone and I think it is just wrong that I have to pay for something that Nissan knows is built poorly.this is a safety issue and Nissan needs to fix it before someone does get seriously hurt

- Poland, ME, USA

Aug 182016

My vehicle would not go forward when pressing on the gas pedal. It would not go past 40 mph on the expressway. After 20 minutes in traffic is when the check service engine came on. I had it diagnosed at a transmission shop and the code reflected the cvt transmission. I have an appointment with a Nissan dealership to check out the diagnosis...will update documents later.

- Hernando, TN, USA

Aug 122016

8/12/16 I was driving from schaumburg il. To la crosse wi with my daughter in my car and my son following behind. Drive is approx 3 hrs & 50 mins. The weather outside high 80's & humid. An hour into my trip on 90west in stop and go traffic on the expressway due to construction. Went to accelerate from a complete stop the car would only go to 20 mph with my foot to the floor & it took some time. The rpms didnt move, the car didnt rev, there were no warning lights, no lights dimming on the interior & the temperature gauge was just where it should be. I thought it was just a fluke. When approaching the wi dells 2 hours into my trip & an hour & a half remaining, I was in the "fast lane" of traffic doing about 80 mph, I went to accelerate more I noticed the same thing was happening. Only now my speed was rapidly decreasing. I moved over & got off on the nearest exit still attempting to accelerate, I pulled into a gas station. Hesitant on shutting the car off not knowing what was happening. Called my brother & described the event I had experienced. Advised to shut it down thinking maybe the system just needed a reset. Waited 20 mins & advised my son that we would stay in the "slow" lane. Car started right up & went the hour & 30 mins with no problem. Car sat at the hotel we were staying at all night. Morning of the 13th did short trips, got lunch & attend a meeting near campus. Car was just as it always has been. 4 pm cst I got on 90E to head home. The same 3hr 50 min 248 mile trip. Outside mid 80's not as humid as the day before. 1 hr & 30 min from my home doing 80/85 mph, now in various construction areas that do not provide a shoulder, my car starts to lose acceleration while I am trying to accelerate. IżM in the "fast" lane & noone would move over.let it sit 10 minutes drove the last hour & a half, no problems.

- Schaumburg, IL, USA

Aug 082016

Im driving down the freeway taking the curve downtown dallas & my car stalls O power available. I cannot steer to coast, nor put can ion emergency flashers. Where it dies it sits. This is a major safety issue and Nissan cannot figure out why. I have only had car for 2 months. Very disappointed and scared.

- Garland, TX, USA

Jul 032016

While driving on the interstate to fl from ky at around 65-75 mph the vehicle would not accelorate past 3000 RPM's. going up hills was the worst, cars would pass and our vehicle would slowly decline in speed. Pulled over to check the car out and after if cooled down it when back to working okay but after another hour on the road it done the same thing.

- Elkton, KY, USA

Jul 312016

Vehicle was traveling at 70 mph when car slowed down to 55 mph with no warning. Pressing accelerator would not make care go any faster. Pulled over and waited 10 minutes then continued drive.

- Greer, SC, USA

Jul 152015

The contact owns a 2012 Nissan Altima. When driving in weather above 84 degrees, the cruise control failed while driving approximately 70 mph. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the cvt transmission overheated and the vehicle needed a valve body and oil cooler to correct the defect. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 92,000. The VIN was not provided. Updated 09/06/16

- Auburn, ME, USA

Jul 092016

Please note this is a safety hazard that occurs when the car is driving one the interstate or highway at 55-70 mph. The car will decelerate and slowly lose speed. I can slam the gas pedal to the floor and the car will not accelerate. This usually happens in very hot weather. It always happens in motion, and sometimes on a hill. It has almost caused me to be rear-ended while hauling children in my vehicle. If I stop the car and wait about 10 minutes, I can start it up and continue on going 300 or more miles before it may happen again. This had happened about 4 times in the last 4-5 months, but now it is occurring more frequently. There was no engine light and it was not giving a code. I took it to East Tennessee Nissan in morristown, tn, who could not determine the problem but said similar cars are experiencing transmission issues. I took it to a licensed transmission shop who could not get a code. The transmission shop said it could be a problem starting with the valve body of the transmission as he has seen as many problems with the 2011-2012 models as the earlier models that got extended warranties. Both places said they could not give a guaranteed fix because it is not showing them a problem. Yesterday, the problem occurred multiple times on our way home from vacation, almost getting us hit by a semi truck. Finally, after 6 restarts yesterday, the car is showing code P0744, which is torque converter clutch intermittent which we have been told is the transmission valve body. This is an absolute danger that needs to be addressed before people are killed or seriously injured.

- Newport, TN, USA

Jun 172016

Car loses acceleration when driving. I noticed it does this when the temperature outside gets hot. I took my car into Nissan last year (when it was still under warranty) and they said they couldn't find anything wrong with it besides it needing brakes. Now that the weather is getting hotter (palm springs, ca 120 degrees) and my car is out of warranty (75,000 miles) it's doing it again!! this is a huge safety issue. I've almost got rear ended twice because of this! since I know it's been happening I've been trying to use cruise control as much as possible on the freeway (going about 65-70) because I'm afraid it's going to do it again! last weekend I had to pull off the freeway 3 times because my car would not go over 40 mph!! I read online there are a ton of complaints about this same issue and Nissan won't do anything to fix this. This is a huge safety issue and needs to be fixed with a recall! this has happened about 20 times in the past year!

- Riverside, CA, USA

Jun 012016

Altima 4-cyl

I bought my car pretty much brand new (it didn't even have 20 miles on it). My first transmission was leaking around 30,000 miles. Even though I asked my service advisor to check it, he assured me the tech's checked it and the only thing leaking was from the ac. I left, put the car on a lift, took pictures, and bought them to the dealer. They then replaced it under warranty. Around 90,000 miles, I started having issues getting the car to go after a complete stop. Its very random but is occurring more frequently. I was making a left turn yielding to traffic, I had plenty of time. However my car was crawling for 30 seconds or so. I am glad I didn't get stuck in the intersection. When a light turns green, people will beep their horn at me, or try to cut the people off in the other lanes to pass me. I frantically searched the web to find that tons of people are having this issue with Nissan Altima of different years near mine. I was shocked to see that their were so many complaints between chat forms, complaint websites, and even so many youtube videos. You can push the gas pedal to the floor, but it crawls for a random amount of time (maybe up to a minute). Here is someone who captured it on video on a car without even 30,000: Https://"V=uliodpoi1_M I called the dealer and they said my car was no longer under warranty and the replacement transmission warranty is only good for 12,000 miles or 12 months. Other companies have longer warranty periods for their transmissions. Ford has 2 years. Does Nissan know how awful their transmissions are so they won't cover them for a longer period" I no longer feel safe in my car, and I feel like I could break down at any time, but I can't afford another car payment right now. Please don't let Nissan get away with this any longer. Thank you for your help.

- Remington, VA, USA

Apr 142016

Was driving at normal highway speed car suddenly lost power would not accelerate or turn more than2000 RPM when climbing hills car slows to a crawl you have to turn the car off and wait awhile and then restart it you may GO2 miles OR200 before it starts again

- Ripley, WV, USA

Apr 162016

After driving at 70 mph for several hours, the vehicle will no longer accelerate and slows down. The vehicle needs to sit for a period of time before it is able to accelerate again. This issue had occurred before 8K miles earlier and had the cvt cooler replaced under warranty.

- Oakland, CA, USA

Nov 252015

I was driving my 2012 Nissan Altima on a busy 4 lane road. I was in the turning lane when my car refused to accelerate. I had power and the engine revved when I pushed on the pedal, but the car would not move. I put the car in park, shut it off and restarted it. The car then jerked its way through the intersection. A few hundred more yards and it stopped again in the middle of the road. I restarted multiple times but it would not move. I had it towed to my mechanic and I was told it was a failed cvt transmission. I called Nissan America to see if they would help, and they said tow it to a Nissan dealership and they would review it and see if they would help. I contacted Nissan and they said my cvt transmission failed and that it was out of warranty. It will cost over $4000 to replace it. This is a dangerous event. I did not know when I bought the car about the problems Nissan has had with these transmissions. After a week of waiting, Nissan America came back and said they would not help. They would not offer a reason why. I asked about the fact that the cvt transmissions had so many problems that Nissan retroactively doubled the warranty on models before 2010, would they do that for my 2012. I was told no. I asked to speak with a manager and I was refused, saying the review process is complete. I am lucky that I was not involved in an accident considering what happened. I am angry that this dangerous situation occurred. And I am frustrated that after suggesting they might help, Nissan wasted another week of my time, when I could have gotten it fixed by my mechanic, instead of bringing it to a dealership.

- Perkasie, PA, USA

Jun 162013

Cvt transmission and (un)"safe mode" this has occurred on multiple trips on the highway at speeds 60-80 mph that are usually in excess of 70 miles. The vehicles transmission will go into "safe mode". the vehicles transmission will no longer rev above 2900 RPM which inhibits the vehicles ability to maintain safe highway speeds especially if any sort of incline is introduced (it is hard to maintain a speed of 45mph and there is minimal ability to accelerate). The only remedy I have discovered is to let the vehicle cool down. After the first occurrence at ~ 40,000 miles the vehicle was taken to the dealership who stated they could find nothing wrong with the vehicle (codes or obvious defects). After the second occurrence the dealership stated that they could not find an issue, however Nissan extended the warranty out to 100,000 miles. The transmission will still go into safe mode from time to time and has additionally began making a quite obnoxiously loud whining noise (at ~ 60,000 miles, similar to when a power steering pump is a about to fail).

- Ballston Lake, NY, USA

Jul 272014

While traveling from sandiego to las vegas, cvt fail safe kicked in while I was in the center lane. Lost power and had to make a dangerous lane change, this was the third time this has happened since buying the car in 2012

- Fairview, UT, USA

Oct 012015

Paint is coming off the car from where the factory has repainted over a clear coated surface. Paint is also coming out of the jams of the car causing rust. Parts on the car are also starting to break down. The seats do not properly catch the gear holding them into place. Transmission makes a terrible winding noice

- Thomasville, GA, USA

Aug 092015

While traveling on the interstate at 70 miles per hour on two separate occasions, my 2012 Nissan Altima lost acceleration and would not go back into gear which almost caused a horrible accident with an 18 wheeler the second time this incident occurred. My car was only at 67,000 miles and the dealership is stating that it needs a new cvt transmission. This is a safety hazard and could have caused our baby to be involved in a horrible accident. Something definitely needs to be done regarding this situation before someone gets injured badly!

- Nashville, TN, USA

Jun 042013

The contact owns a 2012 Nissan Altima. The contact stated that while driving at 70 mph, the vehicle failed to accelerate and lost power as the check engine light illuminated. The failure recurred several times. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, where it was diagnosed that the PO744, cvt a and B temp were found out of specification and the transmission fluid needed replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 112,000.

- Warrior, AL, USA

Sep 132014

Alright so today I noticed a whining noise coming from the transmission. On my way home from work, just after leaving my car kept slipping out of gear. I get on the highway and the engine light comes on. Then im stuck in 5th gear for the rest of the way home. I got the flash codes and did a bit of research, here is what I found. 2012 Nissan Altima sedan - torque converter clutch circuit intermittent pausible causes: - faulty torque converter clutch solenoid valve - torque converter clutch solenoid valve harness is open or shorted - torque converter clutch solenoid valve circuit poor electrical connection - low transmission fluid level - dirty transmission fluid I have to pull over for about 5 minutes then start my care for the sensor to reset so that I can drive my desired speed limit. Once it gets hot the transmission will not allow me to drive more than 60-65mph. The dealer says I need to new transmission. I have 95,000 miles on my 2012 Nissan Altima 2.5 S and is already having problems. It's difficult for me to travel as much because of these issues. After an hour of driving, my transmission whines and my speed limit drops when driving this is extremely dangerous and deadly. I fear that because of the decrease in speed could be potentially dangerous.

- Austell, GA, USA

Jul 072015

Today was the second time I've experienced this dangerous issue while driving on the freeway for about an hour and a half long. My car began to lose speed and would not accelerate above 60 mph. While I had the gas pedal down completely all the way to the floor, as the car could not gain speed. I could have been in a serious accident with all the traffic on the freeway, I had to merge over to the far right for safety. I drove my car immediately after to Nissan so they could verify this issue. They failed to help me in any way recommending I invest in a cvt cooler, due to not being covered under warranty anymore. A couple months back when the car was still under warranty I took it to Nissan with the same issue, at that time they stated they could not detect an issue. But now my warranty is up they're suggesting what the car needs. I'm very upset with how dangerous this can be and how careless Nissan is. It's like they are just waiting for someone to seriously be hurt in an accident to then do something about it.

- Fresno, CA, USA