Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2014 Nissan Altima shows multiple problem trends, continuing the poor reputation of the 2013 Altima, prompting us to give it our "beware of this clunker" badge.

Owners are complaining about a whining noise from the power steering pump and a concerning amount vibration and even transmission failure related to the CVT (Continuously Variable Transmission).

2014 Nissan Altima brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 Nissan Altima:

2014 Nissan Altima Owner Comments

May 012014

I have had many issues while driving on a street, highway, and at a stop. All the issues seems to point to either software or electrical issues. I have complained to the dealership on many occasions. I bought my car with only approx. 7-10 miles on it in Jan. 2014. Since the beginning, I have had my entire dashboard shut off w/O warning. Navigation, radio, camera, etc. Completely shuts off, air bags lights turning off and on, the air conditioner intermittingly working whenever it chooses, the cigarette lighters (both) that I use to charge my phone no longer works, and acceleration not accelerating properly (transmission issue?). I have not ever had so many car problems, especially with a new car. When I ask the dealership about recalls, they are only concerned with repair costs they want to collect, in which I understand. However, what I do not understand is looking up the issue online and seeing hundreds of the same complaints. Just with the same air conditioner issue alone, on only one site, there were almost 600 customer complaints. I was astounded. I can't believe there are not more recalls with what I have read. Besides serious bodily injuries or death, do Nissan owners need to get the media involved to get something done. Locally, there is a tv station that dedicates a segment to consumer reviews and complaints. It's certainly a consideration at this point.

- Katy, TX, USA

Sep 122014

The steering of the car is erratic. At times it's fine and other times the car skates all over the place. Causing a dangerous situation with having to constantly over steer. I feel like if there was a cop behind me I would be pulled over and checked for dui.

- Girard, IL, USA

Jul 302014

The contact owns a 2014 Nissan Altima. While driving various speeds, the vehicle stability control malfunctioned. The dealer and manufacturer were not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The failure mileage was 99.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Mar 172014

Altima 4-cyl

I was at an intersection preparing to make a left turn. When there was an opening in oncoming traffic I pushed the gas pedal to proceed forward and as I entered the intersection the vehicle suddenly dropped the RPM's and acted as if in "limp mode". I pressed the accelerator to the floor to try to get out of the intersection but the vehicle did not respond and only "crawled" through the intersection. Because I could not get out of the intersection due to this issue oncoming traffic had to slam on brakes and almost hit me. Once I exited the intersection I looked for a place to pull over and stopped about a 500 yards from the intersection. I then noticed the vdc light was on. I pressed the vdc button and it lite up another indicator on the dash showing off. I pressed it again and the light went out however the other vdc light on the dash stayed illuminated. I then turned the engine off and waited a couple minutes and when I started the vehicle the other vdc light was off and the vehicle then drove normal. I have since noticed a sound like the transmission spinning wheni press the accelerator. I was scared to drive the vehicle so I went home. I immediately took the vehicle to the Nissan dealer and had the service department diagnose the problem but was told there were no "fault codes" and they did not know why my new car when into "limp mode" and the vdc light came on. This car is new and now I am scared to drive it! the service department at the dealership where I purchased the vehicle said if it happens again bring it back. I have found numerous problems on other internet car forums regarding other Nissan Altima's with this same issue. There is even another one on this site! this is a major safety defect and needs to be corrected asap. I could have been severely injured by oncoming traffic because the vehicle would not respond to the accelerator no matter what I did.

- Goose Creek, SC, USA