CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2014 Nissan Altima shows multiple problem trends, continuing the poor reputation of the 2013 Altima, prompting us to give it our "beware of this clunker" badge.

Owners are complaining about a whining noise from the power steering pump and a concerning amount vibration and even transmission failure related to the CVT (Continuously Variable Transmission).

8.2

1. replace transmission (19 reports)
  3. performed cvt software update. resolved the issue (1 reports)
2014 Nissan Altima transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 Nissan Altima:

2014 Nissan Altima Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Oct 132016

Altima S 2.5L

• CVT transmission

We got this car Sept 2016 and the first week it was acting like it didn't want to accelerate when I went down a hill like road, so I took it back and told them what it was doing and they told me about a some CVT and that it wasn't nothing but the car was just getting it's speed back up.

In Oct. 2016 I took it back to tell them about the same problem and they said they road tested and didn't find anything. So I went away from Oct to Jan 2016 and while I was home and I called my home to let him no the car wouldn't start and then when it did start I drove it and every once in a while it would jerk but I didn't think anything about it i thought it was just shifting gears are something. When we got back home I drove it for a while and the breaks were started squeaking and they told me I needed rear breaks. I took it in in Jun 28, 2017 for the stuttering and jerking they kept it for 3 days and said they couldn't find the problem and I asked them were we going to be okay driving it to Maryland and they said yes we drove as far as NC and it started doing the same thing.

When we got to Maryland we waited to see if the problem would stopped but my husband took it to the Nissan dealer and had a mechanic ride with him to see what we were talking about but they said because the check engine was on and they couldn't get a code it was nothing they could do so we riding back to Sc on 7/10/17 and the car shut off on us and we sat for a few minutes and then it started back up and when we got back on the highway the whole while it kept jerking and when we had to stop for a light it seem like you had to push real hard to get it to go. I like my car but its is starting to scare me. I just got that car in 2016 of Sept. I just want them to fix the problem are try and solve it..

- , Columbia, SC, US

Feb 122016

Altima SL 3.5L

I purchased this car "certified" used with 26,000 miles on it because of the great "professional" reviews and comfort. A few months later, the transmission started jerking at slow acceleration- around 20 mph especially during traffic. I took the car to the dealership and after keeping the car for almost a week they "weren't able to recreate the issue". Over the next year, the issue escalated to where it was doing it every time the car accelerated over 20 mph. I took it back 2/12/16 with a little over 50,000 miles on the car and on 2/19/16 the dealer called to tell me Nissan approved the transmission replacement under warranty and didn't receive the car back until 2/27/16. Luckily we purchased the extended warranty that covers the car until 100,000 miles. We are already planning on getting rid of it before the extended warranty runs out because the cost of this repair would have been over $3,500 and based on other peoples experiences, this won't be the end of the issues. The only reason we aren't getting rid of it right now because of how fast it has dropped in value vs how much we owe. You shouldn't have these issues in a car that is only 2 years old and you shouldn't have to worry if you are going to be stranded if you go out of town. I think the "professional" car reviewers should take into account real owners experiences before recommending a car, especially if there are hundreds of people having issues across multiple websites. I completely regret buying this car but I am stuck with it for at least another year unfortunately.

- , Mansfield, TX, US

May 012017

Altima SV 2.5L

I bought a brand new Nissan Altima in 2014 from the local Nissan dealership. From day 1 I lovee my Nissan. I spent a lot of money to add more stuff to increased the power which I enjoy everyday, but the beginning of this month I am having a problem with my Nissan. I feel my Nissan is jerking a little once a while. Now it's happening 3 or 4 times a day.

I took my Nissan to the Dealer where I bought the vehicle & put this problem in front of the service dept manager & request her to take a test drive. She told one of her employees to take my Nissan for test drive. This employee informed me that this IS NOT A PROBLEM & THAT'S A NORMAL THING. He also told me that's the same thing happens to his Nissan Altima, so I believed him & drove back home.

Last Sunday heading back home from Orange County my Nissan STALLED in the middle of the freeway during heavy rain. It took 3 hours to get back home with AAA tow truck towing my Nissan. Next day I took my Nissan to the same dealer & I JUMP ON TO SERVICE DEPT MANAGER & DEMANDING HER TO FIX THAT PROBLEM. She apologized to me & ordered her employee to FIX MY problem. I got 2017 LOANER NISSAN ALTIMA while the dealer is fixing the CVT TRANSMISSION problem.

My Nissan Altima is under warranty ( 60000 or 5 years whichever comes first ) the service dept told me that that happens a lot to 2014 Nissan Altima & I am not the first ANGRY OWNER they are facing. I HOPE THEY FIX MY NISSAN BECAUSE I MISS MY NISSAN VERY MUCH.

- , Santa Clarita, US

Jan 232017

Altima S 3.2L

• CVT transmission

This car started showing signs of transmission issues a few months ago and I took in to the dealership twice.. Both times I was blown off and the service guys even said that it's not normal and nothing seemed wrong.. yesterday 3/27/17 it was so bad I was afraid to even drive it! As soon as I googled 2014 Nissan Altima transmission issues I was surprised by how many complaints there were and an alarming amount of cars this was failing in under 60,000 miles.. Both of my ford cars lasted 3 times that. Ford that has been known for really bad car issues. My warranty was up at 60,000 miles and the dealership said they would try to help with getting this covered but the cost for the replacement and labor was 4,500. For this to be an ongoing issue that Nissan is aware of should be covered this isn't a lemon law issue but a car that last 45,000 before needing major repairs is ridiculous and I would never bought from nissan had I know this major transmission flaw I would have bought a Ford.

- , Morrisville, PA, US

Dec 012016

Altima 2.5 S 2.5L

My car is very new and I maintained with all kind of requirements in timely manner. At 45k miles my car (Nissan Altima 2014 2.5S) i started facing issue regarding tranmission.

Car starts normally and when you change the gear to DRIVING or REVERSE it makes some kind of engine noise (vibrates and ROAR) and then engine shuts off with jerks...

I took my car to dealership they could not find the issue since they did not find any error code in their diagnosis system. so they cant do anything. Later i took my car home and two days car worked fine and again problem started. I took my car to dealership again and ask to replicate the issue. they were not. Finally I took them with me in the car and luckily we were able to re-generate the problem. They talked to Nissan Corporate and explain the issue and approved for Transmission replacement. They did for FREE because it was covered in powertrain warranty but they showed me the bill that they are going to send to Nissan Corporate for their labor it is $4800. oh my god....so in the future if same issue comes up and my car crosses 60k power train warranty then i have to pay same amount in the future...

My brother had same issue in 2009 Nissan Altima and they replaced it for free event 60k power train warranty was crossed because there was a recall in that model between 2007 to 2010 Altima due to transmission issue and they have extended warranty to 100k for all these years model.

PEOPLE come and file complaint here so in the future any recall comes for 2014 Altima then we will be covered. There is no any recall such now.

Thanks

- , Mission Viejo, CA, USA

Sep 232016

Altima 2S 4 cyl

The transmission was covered under warranty. The dealership replaced it about a month ago, now I am having the exact same issue with the brand new transmission!!!! This is really frustrating especially since they don't have a long warranty on their replacement parts (12months/12000miles). So I need to get this in ASAP. They are willing to check on the issue at the dealership, however, last time I was out a vehicle almost 3 weeks. They did give me a loaner, but this time they don't have one and they only have a waiting list. I don't have another vehicle and I don't have anyone to drive me and my kiddoes around.

- , Wichita Falls, TX, US

Oct 062016

Altima 2S 4 cyl

Less than a month after having the transmission replaced under warranty the same issue on the previous transmission is happening on this one!! The vehicle is under 50k miles. This is very frustrating.

- , Wichita Falls, TX, US

Oct 102014

Altima SL 3.5L V6

• CVT transmission

A few weeks after purchasing my 2014 Nissan Altima SL (V6), I noticed when driving up the parking deck carousel, the transmission began bucking and shuddering, similar to how a standard transmission buckles when try to drive slow in a higher gear. After several episodes, I noticed it mostly happens when driving up slow grades at speeds of 5 to 10 mph during slow acceleration.

At first, I thought this was simply a quirk of the CVT transmission, but after experiencing continuous episodes and reading about similar CVT experiences of other 2014 Altima owners in this forum, I contacted the dealership and informed them of the problem, who stated they weren't aware of any issues like this for my vehicle. Shortly after, I made an appointment for an oil change and asked service department to check for any issues that could cause this, and none were found.

The last thing that I need is for the CVT to fail after the warranty expires, then have to pay for CVT repairs, so today, I reported this issue to the Nissan North America Customer Affairs hotline at 615-725-1000. Rep took the info and asked me to contact the Nissan dealership. My next step is to make a recording and try to duplicate the issue, then take it to the dealership and take a check ride with a mechanic.

If anyone had success with getting this CVT 'jerking' bug fixed, would be interested in knowing the outcome.

Update from Apr 6, 2017: After contact Nissan service department, they recommended I bring the vehicle in for inspection. During the inspection, the Service Manager informed me of a software update that would resolve the CVT shuttering issue. They installed the update and 90% of the shuttering went away. Drives much better now with almost no noticeable shuttering from the CVT.

- , Cary, NC, USA

Jan 022015

Altima S V4

shuddering, shaking at speeds below 40 mph

I took the 2014 Nissan Altima into the dealership on Auburn Blvd in Sacramento. I informed them of the shake, shudder from the front of car seemingly from the transmission....prior to this, there was a burning smell up until about 45,000 miles. That went away and then the shake and shudder began to occur. Auburn Blvd Nissan took the car in for the day at approximately 55,000 miles. I got a call later that the a "computer adjustment" had been made and now the car was running fine. Initially, the "computer" fix was good as car had more power and much less shuddering. The car is now at 60,050 miles and there is a slight shuddering and low power until 40 mph is reached, then car does take off smoothly. There definitely is a transmission defect and I've been told by many ASE certified mechanics that Nissan has not been known to build a good transmission. This should be fixed at Nissan's cost instead of the consumer footing bill or having to take time off work, find a ride to drop car off and a way to get back and pick up car. If the problem occurred before 60,000 miles, it still should be at Nissan's cost as it was previously reported before the mile limit. Otherwise, I love the car...as with most others, it's my only source of transportation.

- , Sacramento, CA, USA

Jun 032016

Altima SV 4 cyl

• CVT transmission

SO IM ON A WONDERFUL ROAD TRIP 800 MILES FROM HOME, AND MY NICELY PAMPERED, ALWAYS DEALER MAINTAINED 2014 GEM, STALLS AT A LIGHT, NO WARNINGS, NO PRIOR SHUTTERS, OR GLITCHES. PUT CAR IN PARK AND PRESS IGNITION AND CAR STARTS UP. PLACE INTO DRIVE AND AGAIN IT STALLS. SEVERAL ATTEMPTS TO DO THE SAME AND IT STARTED AND WAS ABLE TO GET IT BACK TO MY HOTEL, WHERE SHE NEVER MOVED AGAIN, BECAUSE I COULDNT GET THE CAR IN GEAR WITHOUT STALLING. VERY UPSET I GOOGLED WHAT THE PROBLEM COULD BE, BEING THAT THE CAR IS BASICALLY NEW AND THAT NEVER HAD AN ISSUE. LONG STORY SHORT AFTER HAVING IT TOWED TO DEALER, IT TURNS OUT I NEEDED A NEW TRANSMISSION!! SAY WHAT???

ALSO THE TRANNY FLUID WAS NOTED TO BE BURNT AND VERY FOUL SMELLING....

MAINTENANCE ON THIS VEHICLE JUST 3 WEEKS PRIOR WOULDNT HAVE DETECTED THAT??

bULL$#&T! WAS LUCKYI GOT IT BACK HOME, WHERE I PAID MY FRIENDLY LOCAL PEARSON NISSAN A VISIT TO FURTHER PONDER WHY THIS MAY HAVE HAPPENED.. COMPLETELY BAFOONED, MY SERVICE TECH ROBERT COULDN'T RIDDLE ME ANY VALID OR TRUTHFUL FACTS ABOUT THE UNRELIABILITY OF THIS VEHICLE. NEVER EVER AGAIN A NISSAN!! WILL BE GETTING HER TRADED IN FOR A HONDA.. SMH

- , Ocala, FL, USA

Mar 182016

Altima SV 2.5L V4

• CVT transmission

I brought in my 2014 Altima on 02/18, I had problems with my car stalling several times and jerking. They were unable to duplicate the problem and my car did not have an error code. Was told to bring back in if problem occurred again. I brought my car back in on 03/14 since I experienced the same issue, I was informed that my car did shudder while tech. was working on car, but was told to bring my car back in on 03/29 for further diagnostic since car is still not showing an error code. On 3/18 car had to be towed to Nissan's service center. "Rebuilt" transmission was put in and car was ready for pick up on 03/25. Seriously considering trading in.

- , Walker, LA, US

Mar 152016

Altima SV 4

I have only had this car a year and a half. Bought it brand new. It shudders jerks, cuts off and does not accelerate after coming to a complete stop even if us mash the gas pedal to the floor. The dealership blew me off until one of the technicians almost got hit trying to test drive it. First they kept saying they could not find anything wrong. The transmission is gone. I wouldn't recommend to my enemy.

- , Thomasville, GA, USA

Jun 012015

Altima SL 3.5L

I am so disappointed in Nissan!!! And I will make sure to tell everyone I know, DO NOT purchase anything from them because their cars are far from what they use to be. I understand technology and the constant change required in new vehicles but putting the CVT in was a joke!

I loved my car at first!!! This car had everything I wanted plus the awesome pearl white paint, so my husband and I were willing to pay the hefty price of $36000 to buy brand new. Well, turns out that was a BIG mistake. Shortly after we purchased this, I noticed my car would start to shudder when I would go around corners or have to slow down then regain speed. It has also happened a couple of times while driving down the highway at 65-70 mph. I mentioned this multiple times to my dealership when I would take it in for my oil change but they have told me every time that it is nothing and they can't seem to find a problem.

Of course they can't find anything when they are totally incompetent! I'm sure some of that is because I'm a girl and "girls" don't know anything about cars. This may be true but some guys don't either. I may not know everything but I can work my way around a car better than most and so can my husband. We usually change our own oil but since I had 2 years maintenance free, why pay right? Wrong answer!

One time I took my car into Green Nissan and 2 days later, I noticed my car was whining when I would turn, especially in park. So we look under the hood, I have no power steering fluid even though the paperwork I had from my oil change showed it was full. Is it any wonder I have no faith in my local dealership?!?! My husband and I have complained multiple times regarding the issue with my transmission and here were are, about 8 months later and it continues to get worse. So this last weekend, I saw a salesman that use to work there and was discussing the problem I'm having and he suggested I call Nissan Consumer Affairs to see if they will do anything. He also warned me that Nissan is very bad about notifying customers when there are recalls. That's real nice, WTG Nissan!

So... Monday I call, tell them my issue and the women told me they would open a case. I get a call last night from this lady that tells me she has done some research and that there is nothing wrong with my car, that is how the CVT transmission works. I was LIVID! I asked her why it didn't do that in the beginning and she couldn't answer that. I also asked her about all the reports I have found on the same issue and her response was that it is based on the VIN. How does that work, you create all these cars on a line and randomly put VIN's on there so mine could have the same issue as one that's been fixed but my VIN doesn't match? Really Nissan, can't you come up with something better?

I then ask her what my options are and she said I could get a second opinion which means I have to drive 120 miles to the Missoula or 300 to a dealership in Idaho. Did I mention I was LIVID yet? So I mention that I was concerned because I only have 13000 miles left on my warranty and with traveling 40 miles a day for work and a 2000 mile road trip planned next month, my warranty will expire soon and then what happens when my transmission finally goes out? She told me she couldn't promise anything on behalf of Nissan but I could call back then and see if they could do anything to help.

I am so frustrated with the way Nissan is handling this! I just hope that the techs know what they are looking for when I take it to Missoula. Especially when I'm adding more miles and spending money out of my pocket when I shouldn't be. If anyone has any other suggestions, I'd love to hear them!

- , Columbia Falls, MT, USA

Mar 012014

Altima 3.5L

• CVT transmission

The CVT transmission has been noticable since we first got the car 2/5/14. Took it to the dealership and got the standard answer that they could not duplicate the complaint on test drive. I offered to leave the car for a week for someone to use and feel the problem but they did not accept, We now have 20,000 miles on the car and it continues to get worse. As I've told the dealership every time I take it in for an oil change, it feels like a belt slipping particularly after slowing then accelerating. I have asked to see the Nissan company service rep but have never been granted that request either. I guess I'll have to wait until it self destructs as it is a lease car that they seemingly don't care about. Your choice of "Pain in the ass" problem is an adequate description of this issue.

- , Wilmington, NC, USA

Dec 142015

Altima 2.5 SV 2.5L 182 Hp I4

• CVT transmission

This has happened AGAIN in this car. Transmission shudders and jerks. The dealership replaced under warranty, and if I come back one more time with the same problem, I'll be able to act under the New Jersey Lemon Law. However, I had heard stories from car owners with defective cars saying that the dealership refused to fix the problem with their cars so the owners could not act under the lemon law. Hopefully Nissan doesn't put me in that position...

- , West Berlin, NJ, NJ, USA

Apr 302015

Altima 2.5 SV 2.5L 182 Hp I4

• CVT transmission

We leased this car in August of 2014. About 6 months after our purchase, my wife and I noticed the transmission slipping/jerking at lower speeds (about 20 - 25 MPH). We knew, from our past experiences with our 2002 Honda Odyssey and 2007 Nissan Pathfinder that this would lead to transmission failure, so we made an appointment with our Nissan dealer. They replaced the transmission under warranty. And, looking at other complaints posted on carcomplaints.com, transmission failure is also a common problem with these cars! THIS IS AN OUTRAGE! THESE CARS ARE ONLY A YEAR OLD, AND THEY HAVE TRANSMISSION PROBLEMS? THIS IS MY SECOND NISSAN, AND I'LL NEVER BUY A NISSAN AGAIN!!!!!!!!

- , West Berlin, NJ, NJ, USA

Jun 202014

• CVT transmission

I had heard great reviews on the 2014 Nissan Altima, so I drove one and really liked it, so I bought it. After about 1000 miles or so I had my cruise control on at 60 mph and my car started surging almost like it didn't know what to do. This was on a fairly flat road and it went away when I went up an incline and went away when I was going down a hill. I took it back to the dealer with my complaint and they topped off the transmission fluid and checked the diagnostics and sent me on my way.

The problem continued and I took it back several times foe the same problem and it would not replicate with them. Finally the manager took it for a week and he said he could feel it but that was normal. I got Nissan involved but they kicked it back to the same dealer. They said that I should try another identical vehicle to see that this was normal but there never seemed a 3.5SL in the whole wide world. No follow ups to date. It has 53k and still surges, jerks when I start to accelerate like starting a stick shift in 3rd gear and I will loose my shorts if I try to sell it now. I'm tempted to take my lumps just for my piece of mind.

- , Allendale, MI, USA

Jul 012014

Altima

• CVT transmission

I am on my 6th Nissan and have never had so many problems until this vehicle. I purchased my 2014 Altima in November of 2014. At around 12,000 miles I started noticing shuddering/vibrations/slipping at lower speeds. Since this has happened, the transmission has been replaced twice. I had it home for about a month when I took it back for the 2nd replacement. Each time I have to drive with the tech while he records data for Nissan to determine if the dealer can even take it apart to look at it.

Today at 30,000 miles it is back in the shop again. This time they are telling me that it's not the transmission, but possible drive axles. I took it back because it felt like the same problem, but the tech hooked up his laptop to record data and nothing recorded. Needless to say I am very frustrated. I am fortunate enough that the dealership I go to has free loaner cars. I have to drive a little ways, but worth it. As the dealerships in my area want to charge me $35 per day for a rental - ridiculous! I am worried that there is still a problem with the transmission and will be trying to get out of this lease earlier than normal.

Just to make note - love the dealership! They always take care of me and never pressure me to return the loaner car sooner than needed. Just pissed at Nissan!

- , San Antonio, TX, USA

Sep 162015

Altima SL 3.5L V6

• CVT transmission

I'll start by saying that I really like my 2014 3.5 SL Altima. I have been experiencing the shuddering and jerking for about a year (62,000 miles) but finally decided to address it with the dealer after reading other complaints online. Armed with facts about the problem, I had a long talk with the Service manager. They called me back the same day that I brought it in for service and said that it needed a new transmission. The next day I was told that Nissan needed more data from the car to qualify it for a new transmission....the authorization was finally given and I'm waiting for it to arrive and get installed. So far, the dealership (Nationwide Nissan) is treating me good. I'm still waiting to see if the new transmission eliminates the problem....stay tuned.

- , Owings Mills, USA

Jul 102015

Altima S 2.5L

• CVT transmission

My 2014 Nissan Altima was taken in to check the shaking and jerking of the transmission at 34,000 miles. The dealer checked everything as this is normal and just did a standard reset on the computer. The car has now 39,000 miles and I was on my way to work with my kids in the car and the transmission start freaking out, rpms go way up and way down and I'm on a straight road with cruise control set the car then just stops and I coasted to the side of the road. When I let the car set for couple seconds, started the car and put back in drive and got ten minutes down the road and rpms would go up but the car would not go. It was like the transmission was done. Tow truck had to tow the car to the dealer and I am waiting on a response to see how much it will cost to get fixed. I have a 2009 Nissan Altima that has no problems with 90,000 miles on it NISSAN you have lost a customer this car will be traded in as soon as it gets fixed.

Update from Sep 17, 2015: My Car is currently getting a new transmission put in and I will keep you updated on the end results.

- , Robertsdale, AL, USA