2014 Nissan Altima transmission problems: transmission failure

Transmission Failure

2014 Nissan Altima (Page 1 of 2)

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Nissan dealer.

CarComplaints.com Seal Of This Might Hurt

CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2014 Nissan Altima shows multiple problem trends, continuing the poor reputation of the 2013 Altima, prompting us to give it our "beware of this clunker" badge.

Owners are complaining about a whining noise from the power steering pump and a concerning amount vibration and even transmission failure related to the CVT (Continuously Variable Transmission).

8.5

$3,957.00

1. replace transmission (21 reports)
2014 Nissan Altima transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 Nissan Altima:

2014 Nissan Altima Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Jun 232017

Altima SV 2.5L V4

• CVT transmission

I was driving home from work one day and I noticed that my car started to shudder and shake noticeably when braking. The very next day, the Altima also started shuddering and jerking even more when accelerating from 0-20 mph. I decided not to wait any longer to try and figure out the problem, and so I called into work and started driving to my nearest dealership. As I was trying to accelerate from a traffic light in drive, the Altima would no longer accelerate, leaving me stuck in morning rush hour traffic. I put on my hazard lights and began calling a towing company. When I turned off the car, and turned it back on again, the car once again accelerated enough for my to pull into a parking lot. I was then towed to the dealership, where I received a rental until the service department could identify the problem. After two days, I became impatient and researched the problem myself. It turns out that Nissan actually published a service bulletin about this issue for the '13-16 Altima and Rogue models, stating the CVT may shake, shudder, bump or vibrate during normal vehicle operation, and that this is due to either a faulty valve body inside the transmission or the CVT needing to be replaced. I sent a PDF copy of the technical service bulletin (#NTB05-084A) to the Nissan dealership, and they promptly agreed to replace the transmission with a refurbished one.

I am now debating whether to purchase an extended warranty (as my power-train warranty will now expire in a year from now), or just get another car. Needless to say, I am no longer impressed by the quality and reliability of this car, and I'm frustrated that I have to even consider purchasing an extended warranty because I cannot trust the car. This will be the last Nissan I ever own.

- , Houston, TX, US

Jun 142017

Altima SL 2.5L

• CVT transmission

Bought my 2014 Altima new in December 2013. Have taken it regularly for maintenance to dealer. Without warning while stopped at a red light, as I began to accelerate the car jolted and shut off. I actually thought the car behind me hit the back of my car. Took a few seconds to realize the car was shut off. Turned car back on and put in drive, shut off again. Continued this for about a minute until I realized that it was going to go anyway. Luckily I was not in the middle of the intersection but about 1000 feet away.

I had to call AAA and have my car towed to the dealer. I was given a loaner and called about 2 days later to say that the transmission was going to be replaced. Picked up my car about a week later. Drove off and and noticed a check engine light was on. Had to take my car back to dealer. Said it was the O2 sensor that needed to be reconnected. They fixed it right away. Although the dealer has been great, I am going to start looking for a new car. I don't trust my 3 year old car anymore.

- , East Windsor, US

May 072017

Altima SV 2.5L

• CVT transmission

I purchased my car in 2014 with only 11 miles on it. This is my 3rd Altima, so I know that I was purchasing a reliable car that would take me into 300,000 miles and beyond. On a road trip in Seattle, my tranny decided to stop working. At 48,000 miles I had a new one dropped in. Pretty sad that that many miles I had a new one put in. I have driven my car another 49,000 miles and once again it started doing the same thing. When I called the dealership, I found out there was a recall on the programming for the CVT, which might fix the problem, but the warranty Nissan gives is only 12,000 miles. WTF, that isn't going to tell if there is a problem in that short of time. Nissan doesn't stand behind their products. I have taken care of my car with oil changes every 5000 miles, anytime they said I had an issue it was fixed right away and work has always been done at the dealership. I am looking at replacing the tranny every 50,000. Has anyone had this happen 2x in a row?

- , Valley Springs, US

Oct 122016

Altima SL 2.5L

• CVT transmission

bought this car used at 46k miles. the car stopped while waiting at red light. continued to shutdown every time I put it in drive. needed to be towed to repair center where Nissan replaced the transmission. received the car 5 days later.

- , Montreal, QC, Canada

Jul 222014

Altima 3.5 V6

First transmission replaced. Constant juttering, shuttering of car. Really bad at 20mph and again at 40mph. Taken in multiple times for same issue before they replaced it.

- , New Lenox, IL, USA

Mar 282017

Altima S 2.5L 4 cyl

• CVT transmission

I was pulling out of a parking space and the 3 year old NISSAN ALTIMA shuddered and died. I had to push the car out of the way of oncoming traffic. Several attempts to put the car in gear failed. There were no engine warning lights or any previous performance issues. The car completely failed. I had it towed to a Nissan dealership and was diagnosed with "Torque Converter Failure/Need to Replace CVT unit/Found no DTCs Stored" (DTCs- diagnosis trouble codes). Total cost for repair $4,469.50.

I have called Nissan North America to file a complaint and am waiting to hear back. I would encourage everyone to file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau, and your state's attorney general's office. Most importantly, file a complaint with the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration (NHTSA). I read that the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration (NHTSA) launched an investigation into the Nissan Pathfinder because of the thousands of complaints logged. Ultimately, that lead to a class action lawsuit and Nissan taking financial responsibility for their defective transmission. While this situation could have ended much worse, (I've read of Nissan's Altimas failing in rush hour traffic!) my family is looking at an almost $5,000 repair on a car that I don't trust anymore.

- , Indianapolis, US

Mar 182017

Altima S I4

• CVT transmission

45 year old male driver. Needed a cheap car good on gas because of long commute to work. There is no way the transmission should need to be replaced after only 67,000 miles. Do not buy a Nissan with CVT engine. Even the service manager told me this is a badly flawed transmission. I guess you get what you pay for.

- , Anna, TX, US

May 192016

Altima S 2.0L

I have a 2014 Nissan Altima that needed a new transmission at 30k miles!!! To say I was floored is an understatement as I've owned multiple Nissan's (Sentra's) and felt they were always reliable, so imagine my surprise when I had to have my car towed to the dealership for them to tell me 2 days later I needed a new transmission. One thing for sure...if it weren't for the warranty covering it I would have fainted, but even still, having to replace a transmission at 30k miles is not cool!

- , Suitland, US

Jan 182017

Altima SL 2.5L 4-cyl

• CVT transmission

Began slowly with occasional shuddering and stalling upon shift out of Park. Each day became more apparent as transmission slippage. RPMs jumping erratically with car moving at steady speed on level ground. Eventually got to point of not engaging in drive for a few seconds with throttle applied. Sometimes not accelerating when throttle applied and RPMs raised. Unsafe. >>> Yesterday dropped it at Central Houston Nissan dealership where I bought it new and today they say Nissan approves an under-warranty NEW transmission. WOW. Will keep you posted if promises are not kept.

Update from Feb 7, 2017: New transmission in 1 week ago. Doing fine.

- , Houston, TX, USA

Jan 242017

Altima

im real upset because my car is only 3yrs old and i need a transmission i really pissed ,im still paying a dam car note and then the service department said it wasnt nothing i did ,because i got my car serviced when i needed it ,my warranty is up as of 2mths ago ,i think nissan should fix my car ..im really mad because i cant afford to get it fixed....

- , New Orleans, LA, USA

Dec 192016

Altima S

• CVT transmission

A recall should be issued on ALL Nissans obviously! Everything I've read is a complaint about faulty transmissions on cars that aren't even old! I WILL NEVER own another Nissan!!! My 2014 Altima now has to have a new transmission! This is absolutely absurd!!!! Poor Poor Poor customer service! I feel Nissan is just screwing customers and they know exactly what they are doing!

- , Juliette, GA, US

Sep 252016

• CVT transmission

CVT TRANSMISSION. I was at the intersection of Page Ave and Seven Up Drive in Overland, MO, and my car stopped. I started the car back up and park the car in drive and it rolled backwards. I put the car back in park, put on my hazard lights, and called roadside service. My daughter (7yrs) and I were terrified. Cars were a few 100 feet from hitting us. I was constantly waving cars to go around my car. The Overland Police finally arrived (1 hour later) and pushed my car to a safer location so it could be towed. My car was later towed to the Nissan dealer where it was diagnosed. The diagnosis was that my CVT (transmission) needed to be replaced. Nissan agree to cover 1/2 of the parts. Total cost $3,837.00, Nissan only covered $1,000 of this total. Appalled.

- , Maryland Heights, MO, USA

Jul 312016

Altima 6

Nissan I thought was a dependable car I bought this car brand new I took it to be serviced like I was suppose to I took the car to Auto Nation told them the car was accelerating and do weird stuff. They test drove it and said nothing wrong.

- , Powder Springs, GA, US

May 072016

Altima 2.5L V4

transmission failure. need a new transmission. once in while the car stal/ shutoff engine. while driving. lucky there were no accident involve.

- , Fall River, MA, US

Apr 232016

• CVT transmission

In October 2013, I purchased (2) brand new 2014 Nissan Altimas. In July 2015, at appx 72K miles, the CVT transmission failed and had to be replaced. I opened a case with Nissan Consumer Affairs for financial assistance for the replacement. My request was denied and I had to pay $3500 for a new transmission in a car that was less than 2 years old.

This past weekend (April 2016) the other Altima (now 2.5 years old, with 61K miles on it) started to exhibit similar behavior that the first car showed. I took the car into the dealership and they kept and tested it for a few days. Yesterday, I received a call that the car tested out fine and I could pick it up. At that time, I decided to have them go ahead with the manufacturer recommended (at 60K) transmission service (basically a flush and new fluid). I picked the car up, paid my $339 (+tax) and went home. This morning, on my way into work, the car starts shuddering and jerking, engine cuts off, etc... I wasn't too far from the dealership, so I drove the car there and waited 2.5 hours for the service department to open. Met up with the service tech that had been testing it this past weekend and told him what happened. They took the car back for more testing and determined that, yes, I needed to have the CVT replaced in this car as well.

To their credit, they went to bat for me and (despite being past the 60K warranty), got Nissan to agree to fix the issue (at a minimal cost to me). Unfortunately, I'm still out appx $500+ for this car in addition to the $3500 I spent on the other one.

This post is a warning to others...DO NOT buy a Nissan Altima (I would advise against purchasing any Nissan vehicles). There are, obviously, still issues with the CVT transmissions and Nissan will do everything they can to weasel their way out of taking responsibility for their poorly built and poorly performing vehicles. Not only is it extremely inconvenient to have to deal with this on two cars that are both less than 3 years old, but it is (as others here have expressed) a safety issue.

I travel quite a bit for my work and rack up the miles. I probably replace my cars every 5 years or so. Nissan has lost me as a customer. I would never buy their horrible product again. Back to Toyota for me and my family.

- , Ranson, WV, US

Oct 242015

Altima 2.5L

• CVT transmission

This is crazy for a car that is less than a year old. My friends 2014 Sentra also just got a new transmission at 60k miles. Nissan has a serious defect with their CVT design.

- , Dublin, CA, USA

Oct 282015

• CVT transmission

I purchased a used 2014 Nissan Altima the end of April 2015 from Enterprise Car Sales. I was told they did such a thorough inspection of all of their vehicles that the car was in great condition. In October 2015, with approximately, 61,000 miles on the Nissan, it started randomly hesitating. I would push the gas pedal but the car would not accelerate. I took it to the Nissan dealership and they could not find a problem. A few days later, I was pulling out from an intersection and I pressed the gas pedal and the car would not move!! I barely made it home. I took it back to the dealership and was told it needed a new transmission, $3400 and that the power train warranty had just expired at 60,000 miles. I called Nissan North America consumer affairs and filed a claim to see if they would cover a new transmission. After about 5 or 6 days, I received a call back and was told NO, they would not cover or help pay for a new transmission. I asked if they were aware of all of the problems with these CVT transmissions, the rep said they had problems on previous year and model vehicles but not on the 2014(s). Obviously, there are still problems!!! A 2014 vehicle should NOT need a new transmission!!! I ended up trading the vehicle in and losing around $6000 due to this!!!! BUYER BEWARE -- READ THESE REVIEWS --- DO NOT BUY A NISSAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- , Rockingham, NC, USA

Nov 232015

Altima S 2.5L

• CVT transmission

I bought this Nissan 2014 Altima S as brand new 0 millage. Thought I will have no problems for some time, but in 1.5 years tires gone and within 2 years at 43K millage transmission gone. Thanks to CVT transmission.

Last week one of my friends call about the same problem. He found out from some resources that these vehicles are having this CVT transmission problem. I can't imagine that it happened to me.

Surprisingly car is not showing any check engine light or any other code. My car is still at Nissan Dealer. They said it's under warranty, but I really don't want to keep that car.

Any advice please reply ...

- , BOLINGBROOK, IL, USA

Nov 132015

Altima S 2.5L

• CVT transmission

Purchased my used 2014 Nissan Altima 2.5S from Cerritos Nissan. It was previously owned by a rental company, placed 40k miles on it by the time I purchased it. Noticed some dings and scratches. Since day one of purchasing the car, the transmission did not seem smooth. I thought I needed to get use to the CVT transmission that is 1 gear, almost hybrid car like. I would step on gas and it would take awhile for the car to accelerate. After 3 weeks of driving it normal city and highway miles, the check engine light turns on. I take the car back to Cerritos Nissan and turns out that the transmission was the culprit. Warranty process took extended time, due to approval of x-ray images of transmission. I believe it had transmission issues since day one of my purchase. Driving it through downtown LA with minor hills made the problem more evident.

- , Compton, CA, USA

Oct 102015

Altima S

• CVT transmission

I recently purchased a 2014 Nissan Altima from Basic Auto Sales in June 2015. When I purchased the Altima it had 48,000 miles on it. The transmission went out on the Altima at 70,000. The cost to repair the Altima is $3800.00.

There seems to be an issue with the CVT Transmissions being installed in the Nissan products. After doing research on the NHTSA website and reviewing the complaints regarding this issue, this has been a common issue with vehicles. Nissan extended the warranty for vehicles with this type of transmission up to 2013 models for 100,000 miles. There is currently a class action lawsuit for the 2014 Nissan Pathfinder and the CVT Transmission Issues, the same transmission that is in the Altima.

My issue is this: This is a significant safety issue. As I was terrified when the transmission went out on my vehicle, Sat, Oct 10th. I was driving down the road and suddenly the vehicle decelerated to 35 mph from 55 mph in seconds. Fortunately, no one was close behind me otherwise I would have been rear-end and I was able to steer off to the side of the road to get out of the way.

Why would Nissan continuously put a transmission in a vehicle that they know has issues. Why would they not extend the warranty out as they did for other models to 100,000 miles.

There should be no way a transmission should fail on a car that is a year old and has less than 100,000 miles on it. I have contacted Nissan North America and I have had no resolution as of this moment. I have contacted the dealership and was told that there was nothing that they can do to help me since the factory warranty expired at 60,000 miles and an extended warranty was not purchased. I honestly do not remember being offered the option to purchase an extended warranty but I cannot say for certain.

So here I am stuck with a car that does not work, a car loan that I have only made four payments on. I am a single mother with 3 kids in college, there is absolutely no way I can afford to pay $3800 for an new transmission on an issue that is known. I am struggling to get to work. I have filed a complaint with the NHTSA about this issue along with others. I have filed a complaint with the BBB and opened a case with Nissan North America. Meanwhile, I am out of a car and still responsible for making payments on a car that is not driveable.

I mean I could understand if the car I purchased was older and had more than 100,000 miles on it. That is the risk that I would take but in the same token I would have made sure that I was offered or purchased an extended warranty on the vehicle to ensure that any major problems would be covered.

- , Richmond, VA, USA