Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2015 Nissan Altima shows multiple problem trends, continuing the poor reputation of the 2013 & 2014 Altima, prompting us to give it our "beware of this clunker" badge.

Owners are complaining about a whining noise from the power steering pump and a concerning amount of low-mileage problems related to the CVT (Continuously Variable Transmission).

2015 Nissan Altima miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2015 Nissan Altima:

2015 Nissan Altima Owner Comments

Aug 262016

While driving the vehicle with the ac in the on position, the ac would start to emit a strong chemical toxic odor. The odor is so strong, it stays on your clothing until they are washed. The odor also causing shortness of breath, water eyes, and makes your chest hurt after it has been inhaled for a short period of time. You can also taste the odor in your mouth after you have been out of the vehicle for some time. You could smell the odor outside the vehicle as well due to how strong it is.the strong toxic chemical odor was making my 1 year old daughter cough and sneeze when she was in the car. She would just keep rubbing her eyes. The car was taken in to the dealership in which they had it for over 2 weeks. When I got the car back, they said the odor was normal and would go away. I call Nissan Consumer Affairs and explained the health concerns for my child in haling the odor coming from the ac vents. I received a call back from Nissan Consumer Affairs and they stated the strong odor was due to the plastic in the car and because the car is black in color. The car only has 4,500 miles on it and should not be emitting any toxic chemical odor from the ac vents. Inhaling the chemical that is coming from the ac unit can cause serious side effects for my children and that is very concerning. There should not be any plastic that would give off this type of odor in any vehicle. The dealership service manager agreed that the car should not smell the way it does, but Nissan Consumer Affairs claims it is normal and will eventually go away. The issue also causes my front windshield to fog up so bad in the morning you cannot see on coming traffic. The defrost, ac, or having the windows down does not help with the fog issue on the windshield. How can this be normal for a brand new car with 4,500 miles? dealer has had the car for 3 weeks and still cannot find the problem.

- San Marcos, TX, USA

Aug 312016

While pressing gas my RPM goes up and down really fast even when I'm at a steady pace, the vehicle vibrates and jerks while and motion and has shut off twice while driving. The vibration occurs while in motion. Once while driving the car wouldn't drive over 20mph then it shut off. Often times when I make a complete stop then proceed to go the vehicle does a hard jerk. This has been going on for several months. I've contacted Nissan and they have done nothing to assist despite the fact that I notice on different forums lots of people complaining about the exact same issue starting with the 2013 model and 2015. This car is dangerous and can really become deadly for consumers while randomly shutting off while in motion. I purchased my vehicle with 13000 miles and now its at 25000 theirs no reason thousands of others should be complaining about the same issue with the exact model as mine. This issue has been going on for months now.

- Miami, FL, USA

Aug 042016

Gear shift keeps sliding between reverse and neutral without being touched.

- Providence, RI, USA

Sep 232015

I purchased my 2015 Nissan Altima brand new from the dealer. In Sept 2015 at 25,000 miles, while driving in the middle of the freeway, the car slow down as if I was driving in a low gear. The RPM went up, but the car is moving very slow. I stop the car and called the service department. They told me to stop and park the car then restarted the car after giving it serval mins of cooling down. I took the car the service the next day, they couldn't find anything wrong with the car. I continue to drive the car for another six or so months then the same happened again. I took the car back to the service department, no problem was found again. Couple months later, the car stop in the middle of the road. I took the car in, still no problem ws found. They said they can't mimic the problem and asked that I contiue to drive and stop and park if the problem arise. I told the supervisor/manager at the service department that I don't feel safe driving my family around in a car that stop in the middle of the road but can't find anything wrong. I don't know much about the car, but it has to do with transimition because of the check engine light. I felt that the service department is prolonging the real problem because the car is still under the warranity, and I felt that the problem will be discover once it's out of the warrnity coverage. I have two major concerns: 1. I am worry for the safety of my family when I am driving them around the car that can stop anytime in the middle of the road and cause the accident. 2.I am worry, I'll be making a payment for a car that I can't drive once it is no longer be cover under the warranity and it will costs thousand of dollars to get it fix.

- Antioch, CA, USA

Oct 132015

Vehicle gets 28 mph on highway for long distance travel. Vehicle is advertise to get 36 on highway. Two trips of 9 to 10 hours on highway (non-mountain)shows 28 mph. Third trip 4.5 hours shows 28 mph on highway. Vehicle gets the same 28 mph city. Extremely poor mileage on highway. I have continuously reported this problem to Nissan dealership, and was told by service manager the computer had to catch up with the car.

- Charlotte, NC, USA

Feb 262016

At any given moment while at a stop light or stop sign would step on gas to continue driving when the vehicle does not accelerate; it hesitates to go for a second or two then the vehicle well accelerate. For example if the vehicle suppose takes 2 sec to reach 35 mph the vehicle would take 5 sec to reach 35 mph. This has Accord on the streets after making a complete stop. The hazard that I am concern is when trying to make a turn there is a possibility of being hit by another vehicle because of the slow reaction of making my turn.I have talked to the maintenance at Nissan and told them the issue but was told that if none of the sensor are going off then the car is fine. However, it is still doing it. I have taken the car back to the dealer two times and they can not find anything wrong. Their machines are not detecting anything. I noticed that this is more of an issue after driving for an hour. I am worried about my safety and the safety of others.

- Lancaster, CA, USA

Dec 012015

When my wife has her hearing aid on the keyless car will not start. When I am picking her up and she gets in the car, the dash flashes a warning and says no key detected. The car remains on but will not restart in an emergency unless she gets out. I am a senior, her hearing aid is modern and conforms to fcc reg. Help.

- Columbia, CT, USA

Aug 242015

Air conditioner making a loud noise seems to be coming from fan on passenger side. Sounds like something is stuck in it and clicks faster as fan turns up.

- Pensacola , FL, USA

May 122015

The vehicle "high centered" at various places on speed humps, some of which required backing up to spare worse affects. Early damage is inevitable, and unsafe, and costly. Frequently the vehicle scrapes at parking barriers and curbs. In no way can it be driven on a pasture road of ruts and center ridged elevations, both for "high centering" and catching plant life on fire due to dragging the vehicle bottom on the center ridge. The rear camera is more distracting than beneficial, since about five views must be made when moving in reverse, and the camera view, the 6th, is so inconclusive.

- Amarillo, TX, USA

Jul 282015

The gas tank had a leak at the top of the tank underneath the vehicle, so I took it to the dealership but they said this would not be covered under the vehicle warranty. The dealership is claiming that it could have been a rock that caused the tiny hole. The hole is located at the top of the gas tank, at an angle, just below the seal with very little space between the gas tank and the frame of the vehicle. There was no other physical damage to the gas tank other than the tiny hole, which shows that I didn't run over or hit anything. The dealership couldn't explain why there was a small hole but no other damage, other than the possibility of it being caused by a rock, but they didn't seem confident in their evaluation. It took them maybe 15 minutes to look at it and say it was user fault. It doesn't make sense because while driving 30-35 mph, shouldn't the gas tank be able to withstand a rock hitting the tank, instead of causing a tiny puncture at the top" also, wouldn't it make more sense if this hole appeared on the bottom of the gas tank instead of the top, because the bottom of the gas tank is more exposed to the elements on the road/streets? this worries me because if such light pressure can cause the fuel tank to puncture, wouldn't this be a safety hazard"

- Aurora, CO, USA

Jun 122015

I was driving down the interstate when I noticed a loud noise coming from the passenger side floor. When I pulled over, I lifted the carpet and noticed a hole on the passenger side floorboard. The hole is as big as my foot. Just yesterday my wife was seating there and felt the floor soft, but we didn't think much of it. We were so lucky since this a very serious matter that could have resulted in something very very bad. I went over to the driver's side and noticed that the floor is so rusty that I could put my foot right through. I don't feel it is safe to drive this vehicle in its current condition and it's the only vehicle we own.

- Peoria, IL, USA

Jan 312015

This vehicle was leased new on Dec, 2, 2014 from a Nissan dealer located in Washington, pa. The vehicle has had a burning and sulfur odor since day one and the sulfur odor is getting worse. The vehicle is rated for 38 mpg highway and 27 mph city. The vehicle mpg is growing worse and it gets about 24 mpg as I write this. Vehicle was taken in for service to determine these issues and I was told no problems found. It was suggested to me to try other fuel stations and to keep in mind gas is now cheap! contacted Nissan usa several times where you speak to people who refuse to give out their last name and I was told the selling dealer will not look at the car any further so I ask for Nissan to buy it back. As of 2/6/15 I am waiting for a response from Nissan usa. I made an appointment with another Nissan dealer and they have agreed to investigate my complaints about the sulfur odor and very poor mpg. My wife has a allergy to sulfur and cannot drive this vehicle because she never knows when the sulfur odor will fill the cabin and she then has to pull off the road, open the windows. The last time she was operating the vehicle on an interstate highway (01/31/15) the car begin emitting a very strong sulfur odor and she had to pull off and get out of the car. The selling dealer refuses to provide service or assist in any manner. Nissan usa is backing up the dealer. This is how Nissan treats an customer who has owned/leased 8 Nissan vehicles!

- Monessen, PA, USA

Dec 192014

I just purchased a 2015 Altima sv with the tech package. This include several safety features, but the one I wanted most was the blind spot warning system. I discovered in the first 2 weeks that when it was raining or the roads were wet, the BSW could give false alarms like a car was next to me, when there was no other cars near me. I brought the car to the dealer twice for this and on the second time, I was handed a bulletin that shows the issue. I was told by the dealer to contact Nissan customer support for resolution. I just heard back from them on 12/30/14 and their response was that it was working as designed. How can a safety feature that is part of a $1000 package be designed to give false alarms when the roads are wet. Please investigate and have have Nissan resolve this issue before it causes someone to get into an accident. Thanks.

- Solon, OH, USA