Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2005-2007 Pathfinder appears to have a widespread defect where coolant leaks into the transmission, causing transmission failure around 90,000 miles. Repair costs are typically upwards of $3,500.

2007 Nissan Pathfinder drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Nissan Pathfinder:

2007 Nissan Pathfinder Owner Comments (Page 2 of 15)

May 072013

This complaint is about the past recall on the 2007 Nissan Pathfinder, the transmission fluid mixing with the radiator. Due to a hole, crack in the engine. Had this to happen to me. Cost very high. This happen with car in motion on city streets.

- New Orleans, LA, USA

May 162016

Started hearing a loud knocking when putting my car in park or other gears. Took it in for my regular scheduled service and told the service writer at Nissan what was going on. He checked it and said he would not let me drive it and offered a rental, told me he would call. Well surprise $7600 price tag, said nothing about the recall, I found that myself. But he told me Nissan would pay part and my co-pay is $3000. He told me the inter cooler in the radiator had cracked and leaked, sending fluids into my transmission and killing it. On top of that they want to replace with a re-manufactured transmission. According to the extended warranty guidelines of the class action suit, my vehicle just turned 9 yrs. Approx. 3 weeks ago and only has 79,000 miles. You would think since it's only 3 weeks out of 8 yrs. And within the 80, 000 they would replace for free. I was never even notified of the recall, I have my car serviced at the dealership I purchased from, I don't understand why they didn't tell me or take action before this happened. I have contacted Nissan North America, who knows maybe they will do proper business and fix their manufacturing defect.

- Santee, CA, USA

Dec 252015

Problem started when transmission started to slip while driving back and forth to work.. had transmission flushed did not help...learned about the inter-cooler defecate so checked the radiator to find tranny fluid.. car is over 100K miles so left with all repair cost and a sorry about your luck.....

- Safford, AZ, USA

Apr 302016

The radiator is mixing anti-freeze and transmission fluid together and cycling it threw the whole engine

- Bridgeport, CT, USA

Feb 082016

My SUV was diagnosed with a manufacturing defective transmisson and now has issues with the transmission cooler pipes splitting causing cross contamination between the radiator coolant & transmission fluid. Which resulted in a failure to the automatic transmission. The cross contamination had to have a new transmission, transmission cooler hoses & radiator replaced.I called Nissan Corp and they are refusing to take responsibility I told them that they are putting familys in a dangerous situation. I also explained to them when I purchased my vehicle they where well aware of the situation but concealed that information from me and I let them know that I was pregnant at the time with our 4th child and needed the 3rd row thats why we traded, so I did not appreciate that information being concealed from me and putting my children in a unsafe vehicle. Nissan has caused me to almost wreck 3 times this has caused so much stress on me and my family.I have reached out to Nissan Corp several times with they refused to fix it or return it and give me my money back.and also I delivered my baby 10 days later after I purchased the Pathfinder and the patherfinder had about 70,000 miles on it already so the transmisson could had easily went out at any time since it had known problems that were concealed from me and caused a very dangerous situation for me and my baby because when I bought the vehicle they concealed the information knowing that it could happen at anytime and refused to let me know even though my husband and I both asked if anything was wrong with the vehicle and they told us no they check the vehicles before they sale them by their mechanics.something needs to be done before someone gets killed. My Pathfinder only has 123,000 miles on it.

- Powell, TN, USA

Apr 132016

In April 2016 while driving on the highway the vehicle began to lose power. SUV managed to make another 10 miles or so until the slipping was to bad to continue driving. Stopped the car and allowerd it to cool. Opened the radiator cap and discovered that the trasmission flud and radiator fluid had mixed. The SUV is now at a repair shop and will not be covered due to be over the extended warranty mileage. I also own a 2008 Nissan frontier that is also succeptible to the same problem.

- Scarborough, ME, USA

Oct 182015

In October of 2015, while driving down the interstate, the vehicle lost power. It has happen 3 times since (the most recent being March 22, 2016). An independent repairman has look at the vehicle 3 times, but has not been able to identify the problem. Spoke with the Nissan dealership where purchased and they were not able to determine the issue over the phone. We did discuss the transmission/engine coolant mixing. Taking the vehicle to the dealership for further evaluation. They said it is not covered by warranty or recall. There was a class action lawsuit but our vehicle already had too many miles to be included.

- Brasetlon, GA, USA

Nov 152015

Fluid has leaked from the radiator into the transmission causing corrosion in the transmission. Transmission stalls and shutters while driving it. This causes a safety hazard, due to lack of power and possible loss of transmission during driving. This is a known defect in Nissan Pathfinders.

- Cincinnati, OH, USA

Mar 112016

The contact owns a 2007 Nissan Pathfinder. While driving approximately 30 mph, the contact heard a popping noise coming from the transmission and the check engine light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who diagnosed that the transmission sensor failed. The vehicle was taken to another independent mechanic who diagnosed that the radiator coolant was leaking into the transmission. The manufacturer was notified of the failure and stated that the warranty had expired. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 129,000. The VIN was unknown.

- Simpsonville, SC, USA

Mar 052016

Radiator cracked and leaked fluid in to the transmission.

- Bronx, NY, USA

Mar 032016

My car start to slip up so I done some research and found out that my transmission have coolant mix in it also open radiator cap and found milky looking coolant. My car have only 114000 miles.3/2016

- Nolensville, TN, USA

Feb 162016

"takata recall" out of the clear blue I was driving my 2007 Pathfinder and the airbag light came on, I took it to the dealership immediately that day and it passed per service manager louis castillo at baker jackson Nissan in houston Texas, 2 days later the light came back on and once again I went to the dealer ship and was told that the sensors and other parts needed to be replaced the cost is $1500. I called Nissan Corp and they are refusing to taking responsibility even though they stated all 2007 Pathfinders in other states would be given a 10 year warranty. My truck was also affected with the radiator flulid mixing with the transmission fluid, during the years of 2010-2012 I constantly took my truck to baker jackson Nissan and the service manager then larry just topped off my truck himself and never made a record of it. He kept assuring me that he was saving me money. My transmission failed but because of the mileage in 2012 Nissan was able to deny fixing my transmission via the class action lawsuit. I ended up spending $4800 for a new transmission. In 2010 Nissan convinced me to replace my train for $1600, I never knew it was a recall until today. Another caveat to this mess is that baker jackson changed their computer system and has no record of me replacing my train. I have a bank statement to prove it if necessary.

- Cypress, TX, USA

Aug 022013

In the middle of 2013, the dealer recommended a transmission flush for my 2007 Pathfinder. I gave them the go ahead. Only a few weeks later, the transmission started to jerk and shift violently into gear. Eventually, the transmission stopped working altogether. The dealer said it would cost $6K to replace the transmission and basically told me that I should just get a new car. I took the car to an independent shop and they informed me that the radiator, transmission cooler would need to be replaced and the transmission overhauled. The work was quoted at $3,500 which was a lot better than $6,000 so I went ahead with the repair. Shortly thereafter, I was involved in an accident that would require the radiator and transmission cooler to be replaced again, the repair was executed by the dealership in late 2014. Then in mid 2015 the transmission started acting up again. Same symptoms as before. I am just waiting for the truck to die on me any day. Recently I came across some information about a class-action suit that was settled against Nissan in 2013 over this exact problem. The dealer should have known about this settlement and should have offered me the option to get my car repaired under the terms of that settlement - but they did not. Further, I understand Nissan has fixed the problem with a new part but I suspect that the dealer used the old type of parts when my vehicle was in their body shop and this is the reason my transmission is once again exhibiting signs of an impending problem. This is just not good for consumers and it is definitely not good for Nissan's reputation. I will never again buy Nissan.

- Norwalk, CA, USA

Feb 152016

The contact owns a 2007 Nissan Pathfinder. The contact stated that the vehicle would not change gears from drive into reverse. The vehicle was not diagnosed nor repaired. The vehicle was unable to be driven and was towed to the contact's residence. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was not available.

- Rochester, NY, USA

Feb 082016

The contact owns a 2007 Nissan Pathfinder. The contact stated that the transmission was defective and caused the vehicle to jerk and lose acceleration while driving. The engine light also illuminated while the failure occurred. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the radiator fluid leaked into the transmission, which caused the transmission to fail. The transmission was not replaced. The manufacturer advised that the extended warranty would not cover the entire cost of the transmission replacement. The failure mileage was 95,000.

- Winter Park, FL, USA

Jan 242016

After hearing a lot of about this problem I decided to make a complaint because it is not fair for anyone to go through this. My 2007 Pathfinder suddenly lost complete power and it wouldn't start at all after having a mechanic check it he gave me a diagnose that it was the transmission which I didn't believe I said what does the transmission has to do with power but it has a lot to do after I did some research it comes to this. The coolant on the vehicle gets inside the transmission and mixes with the oil causing the tcm (transmission control module) to fail and not to sent signal so the vehicle will start. So now I have to repair the transmission and the radiator cost will be more than 3000 dollars. I been the only owner of this car and have take good care of it as much as I can I just pay off this car 2 years ago and I don't think is fair for us that had has this problems to paid for it I think Nissan America should do a recall on this and help us the consumers.

- Rio Rico, AZ, USA

Dec 212015

1) about 2 years ago the cruse control stopped working. Have not repaired this problem. 2) in July 2015 the air bag warning light on the instrument panel started flashing. Have not repaired this problem. 3) on Dec 21, 2005 after pulling out of my drive way the transmission would not advance to the next higher gear. Stopped and put it into reverse but the SUV would not go backwards. Slowly drove it around the block back home. Transmission shop reported that coolant leaked into the PCM compartment causing this problem. Repairs have been made, cost was 3645 us dollars.

- Round Rock, TX, USA

Jan 262016

The contact owns a 2007 Nissan Pathfinder. The contact stated that the vehicle was being serviced for an oil change, when it was diagnosed that the radiator fluid was leaking into the transmission. The dealer stated that the radiator and the transmission needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 124,789. The VIN was not available.

- East Wenatchee, WA, USA

Jan 082016

Transmission control module fried due to contamination from the radiator fluid. Nissan was aware of contamination in transmission through the radiator and this contamination causes the control module in the transmission to short. Every time I want to start my vehicle I have to replace a 10amp fuse under the hood that will always blow every time I start it. Repair cost for a new control module are exceeding $4000 every place I go. Nissan should be responsible for repairs of their faulty design. Due to this defect my family was stranded, I had to leave my work and pick them up in below 30 degree temperatures.

- Boerne, TX, USA

Dec 222015

At first, the car wouldn't start occasionally. I replaced the battery and fuses. This helped temporarily. Now, the car won't start unless I place a new ECU fuse each time I attempt to start it. Changing the fuse will start the car, but it lacks power and is quick to stall out. When I took it to the mechanic, he discovered coolant in my transmission. After reading information from several websites, I realized this is an ongoing issue with this make/model of car.

- West Palm Beach, FL, USA