Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2005-2007 Pathfinder appears to have a widespread defect where coolant leaks into the transmission, causing transmission failure around 90,000 miles. Repair costs are typically upwards of $3,500.

2007 Nissan Pathfinder drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Nissan Pathfinder:

2007 Nissan Pathfinder Owner Comments (Page 3 of 15)

Nov 232015

Coolant leaked into transmission causing damage to transmission. Vehicle is in shop with estimate of $5000 for repairs. Mechanic stated it is difficult to find rebuilds and that this is one of the most expensive transmissions he has priced. He did some research and found that this is a common problem and makes is more difficult to get rebuilt transmissions. I initially had the coolant leak fixed and replaced the radiator. The transmission would shift rough and in three months time from coolant leak repairs, started to not shift from 2nd to 3rd gear. Car in not safe to drive and was taken to mechanic.

- Headland, AL, USA

Nov 242015

The contact owns a 2007 Nissan Pathfinder. The contact stated that while driving at 15 mph, the check engine warning light illuminated. In addition, the contact attempted to reverse and shifted the gear shifter into reverse but the vehicle failed to move backwards. The vehicle was taken to a dealer who stated that there was automatic transmission contamination due to anti freeze from the radiator. The technician also diagnosed that the transmission needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 76,000.

- South Richmond Hill, NY, USA

Nov 192015

Radiator failure allowed coolant to leak into the transmission both the transmission and radiator now need to be replaced. Nissan has known about this problem for a long time and has failed to issue a recall. Our vehicle dropped into 1st gear while driving and nearly resulted in us getting rear ended.

- Valrico, FL, USA

Oct 222007

When driving home on the freeway doing about 60 mph our vehicle suddenly slowed down when I was about 3 or 4 miles from home around 8:40 pm. I stopped on the side of the freeway. The engine sounded ok but the car did not want to go very fast. Since I had no phone and I am handicapped and unable to walk very far and had a lot of perishable food to carry and my wife and 9 year old daughter. I tried to drive home since we don't have another vehicle. I barely made it to the driveway where the car sits until I can get a loan to fix or buy another car. I only have 145,000 miles on the car, I usually get 300 to 400 thousand miles before I get rid of them.. I was never notified of a recall and I bought the vehicle new from a dealership. I am pretty sure it's the transmission but until I get funds I cannot put it in the shop or replace it.this is Friday the day after the breakdown.

- Portland, TX, USA

Oct 022015

The contact owns a 2007 Nissan Pathfinder. The contact stated that while driving approximately 30 mph, the vehicle violently jerked forward without warning. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the transmission fluid and anti freeze mixed together and the transmission and radiator needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 97,000.

- Tawnton, MA, USA

Oct 042015

Coolant aft cross contamination in the transmission and radiator.

- Nanaimo, WA, USA

Mar 072015

My Pathfinder broke down due to the transmission failing while driving. I was just pulling into my housing development and had to kill and restart the truck to get it to make it into the driveway. Apparently this is a known issue by Nissan, where there's a crack that allows the radiator coolant and transmission fluid to mix, causing the transmission to fail. This is extremely wrong that a consumer must pay out of pocket for a known and acknowledged flaw in the manufacturer's design.

- Silver Spring, MD, USA

Sep 292015

My wife was taking the kids to school and while driving in the drop off line heard a loud "thunk". we had to get it towed to the nearest dealership and pay the $99 diagnostic fee to find out that the radiator leaked coolant into the transmission, which caused transmission failure. Apparently this is a common problem that Nissan is not addressing.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Sep 122015

I bought this vehicle new in 2007 as our 2nd new Nissan.our first was a 2005 frontier with no problems and now this. I have been experiencing transmission problems. It slips when accellerating and somtimes wont down shift properly. So due to the problem I did a web search and found this cracked transmission line allowing coolant leak in to the transmission, so I checked the resevour and radiator and both had atf contamination. I then called the Nissan dealer and they claimed to have no idea what I could be talking about. The class action lawsuit filed in late 2012 stated that all dealers were notified. I was never notified and now have over 100,000 miles on my Pathfinder which opts me out of anything. This is rediculous and Nissan needs to be held accountable! they never even admited there was a problem just offered some extended warrenty coverage absolutely absurd! now im stuck with a vehicle I cant even drive.

- Lexington, NC, USA

Sep 112015

The contact owns a 2007 Nissan Pathfinder. While driving approximately 50 mph, the rpms increased rapidly and the engine warning indicator illuminated. In addition, the transmission slipped and failed to shift into the reverse position properly. The failure recurred two times. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was awaiting diagnostic testing. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 144,000.

- East Meadow , NY, USA

Jul 242015

I was driving my 2007 Pathfinder with my 3 children in the back when the tires suddenly seemed to be slipping. I wasn't sure what was going on until I was on a big hill and car suddenly wouldn't go into gear. The transmission had blown on me, almost instantaneoulsy with little to no warning signs. The car started rolling backwards on the hill and luckily nobody was behind us. I hit the breaks and stopped the car. It had to be towed and I was stunned when my mechanic said the transmission was dead and it would cost around 3K to fix! "there was only 85K miles on the car and the transmission just blows like that, " I asked him? he told me that this was a problem very common with some Nissan cars. I immediately went online and found out that this is known problem with Nissan Pathfinders and xterras, due to fault manufacturing and a lawsuit was brought up against them (a few years before this happened to me). I feel it's outrageous that these cars can still be sold by the dealer (we bought it used with 60K miles on it) without some sort of warning label on it. Thank god my kids didn't get hurt somehow, because it was quite a hazardous situation when the transmission fails suddenly at the top of a big, long hill! if my kids had gotten hurt, I probably could have sued them for a billion dollars, but since I acted quickly, nobody was hurt, and thus, nobody at Nissan seemed to care when I complained. They should be held accountable for fault manufacturing! no car's transmissions suddenly break down for no apparent reason with less than 90K miles on it!

- Huntington Station, NY, USA

Apr 012015

Radiator leaked anti-freeze into the transmission which destroyed the transmission and the entire coolant system. Nissan has known about this but never issued a recall.

- Anniston, AL, USA

Aug 262015

As I was about to enter the highway my vehicle lost power, I was fortunate to be able to get off the on ramp and back to the frontage road before my car came to a complete stop. Took to a repair station where it was found the radiator failed and allowed fluid to mix with the transmission fluid. Transmission is a complete loss, although the cost of repair ($5200) is troubling, the fact that moments later my family and I could have been injured or caused someone else to be injured is the bigger issue. I have seen numerous complaints about this defect and feel the NHTSA should take a better look into making this a safety issue. At some point someone is going to die from this. Nissan has made a very un-reasonable attempt to address this issue.

- Arlington, TX, USA

Jul 202015

Found out that my radiator had a failure and a transmission hose cracked inside the radiator and the transmission fluid all mixed up to invaded both the motor cooling system and the transmission.. dont want to go in gear when turning and it make this rumbling nose when you driving

- Manitowoc, WI, USA

Sep 092014

I was driving to work traveling on the highway going approximately 65 mph when the truck started to over heat and the transmission started to slip out of over drive. I pulled off the highway and stopped at an auto parts store. I pulled the transmission dip stick. It was milky. I also found the coolant overflow was bubbling out a mix of milky fluids. I had the car towed to a local garage and they explained the issue. The radiator had failed and blew apart inside, which created an issue with the transmission line inside the radiator. The coolant mixed with the transmission fluid. The garage replaced the radiator and flushed the transmission fluid. This cost me $650. The transmission wasn't right from this point on. A few months later the same thing happened. I have replaced the radiator this time myself and took it to the garage to have the transmission flushed. At this point the transmission slips into every gear and will continuously slip if its in overdrive. The car is un drivable and has been sitting in my driveway for almost a year now. Transmissions for this car are over $2500 and I just cant afford to put one into

- Corning, NY, USA

Mar 312015

The contact owns a 2007 Nissan Pathfinder. The contact stated while driving approximately 60 mph, the transmission exhibited severe vibration. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic, who replaced the radiator and flushed the transmission twice. The failure continued after the repair was performed. The mechanic recommended that the transmission be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 65,000.

- East Freetown, MA, USA

Jul 272015

Transmission failed due to coolant leaking into transmission. Had my whole family when transmission gave out don't want to image what would have happened if I was going faster than 35 mph. Cost to repair $5800. Dangerously unacceptable.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Jun 272015

As I was driving the vehicle on the highway it started to shudder and shake and then finally completely turned off on the highway. Once I got it started again it would only go about 20mph I was able to move over to the shoulder and exit the highway. Once we took the car to the dealer, they told us that the radiator had leaked into the transmission and also that I needed to replace two catalyctic converters. The total repairs and replacements would cost me $8000 as I would also need to replace the transmission and radiator. We replaced the radiator but of course that is only half the problem. I still owe about $13K on the vehicle, have only had it for 8 months and am now stuck because I dont have the money to replace the transmission and I cant get rid of the truck knowing this problem.

- East Islip, NY, USA

Jul 062015

The contact owns a 2007 Nissan Pathfinder. While driving 5 mph, the transmission failed to shift gears and the engine warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic. The technician diagnosed that the transmission control module and the radiator needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 111,000.

- Williston, FL, USA

Jul 012015

I was just informed by a fellow Nissan owner about her transmission replacement. Why was I not notified by Nissan that there was an issue? no card, letter... nothing! I would have had my car inspected for defect if I knew!!

- Virginia Beach, VA, USA