Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2005-2007 Pathfinder appears to have a widespread defect where coolant leaks into the transmission, causing transmission failure around 90,000 miles. Repair costs are typically upwards of $3,500.

2007 Nissan Pathfinder drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Nissan Pathfinder:

2007 Nissan Pathfinder Owner Comments (Page 7 of 15)

May 232014

Pathfinder 6-cyl

The coolant has mixed up with the transmission fluid, and it is having problems with shifting. I done some research online, and found out that this a major issue with Nissan and they are not willing to fix this issue. It says that there a hose leak issue into the transmission. Now M car is sitting I N my driveway, dead.

- White, GA, USA

May 142014

Pathfinder 6-cyl

I took my vehicle to the dealer for a diagnostic test and was informed that the coolant from the radiator was leaking into the transmission and vice versa. The service technician stated that this was a known issue with my particular make/model vehicle.

- Lafayette, LA, USA

May 062014

Pathfinder 6-cyl

Transmission stutters between 35-50 mph.

- De Pere, WI, USA

May 052014

Transmission fluid is mixing with radiator fluid.

- Valley Stream , NY, USA

May 012014

Pathfinder 6-cyl

I purchased a used 2007 Nissan Pathfinder with extended warranty for my daughter on 12/28/13. Last week the check engine light came on. She made an appointment, arrived early and 5 hours later was told that a sensor needed to be replaced and suggested that she take it to a Nissan dealer as they had equipment specific to Nissan vehicles and her warranty covers the work at any dealership. She asked if the vehicle was safe to drive and was told yes. She drove two miles to a Nissan dealer spent another 2 hours there while they ran their own diagnostic tests. They determined that there was cross contamination in the radiator. Not only did her radiator need to be replaced but so did her transmission. She was further told that her vehicle was unsafe to drive. The called the warranty company who indicated that the radiator wasn't covered and therefore the transmission wasn't covered as it was caused by the radiator. My daughter drove back to auto nation again and asked to speak to the general manager. She was told he wasn't in and the used car sales manager would speak to her. I left work and went over to help her. I also asked for the general manager, was asked what it was about, I said I would prefer speaking directly to the GM and was told the same thing as my daughter. The used car sales manager reluctantly agreed to replace the radiator and flush the transmission twice he indicated that would solve the problem. She picked up the SUV today and 2 blocks later the check engine light came on. She went back to auto nation and was told by the used car manager that there was no way he was paying $3500 to replace the transmission. He told her to just drive with the check engine light on. This is so wrong! to send a 22 year old off in an unsafe vehicle. This was apparently a known issue on this make/model & year. Nissan even extended the warranties because of the issue.

- Mission Viejo, CA, USA

Apr 282014

Pathfinder 6-cyl

Car having trouble getting up to speed. Now will not start. Dealership says it needs new radiator and transmission.

- Birmingham , AL, USA

Apr 262014

While driven in normal conditions on a highway at approximately 60 M/H it start to loose speed, the transmission won`T shift back to third speed from fourth, when it need it, no overheating where indicated by the heat indicator just the lock of power, car need to be towed to my house.

- Hartford, CT, USA

Apr 042014

Pathfinder 6-cyl

Radiator transmission cooler failure allowed cross contamination between transmission fluid and antifreeze.the resulting lack of lubrication and electrical conductivity of antifreeze caused electrical and mechanical transmission failure.

- Somerville, OH, USA

Apr 212014

Pathfinder 6-cyl

Vehicle started out shifting hard and changing gears hard. When vehicle was put in reverse and/or driver, it started sputtering as if it was about to shut off. The vehicle was also very sluggish when hitting the accelerator. The vehicle was brought to the mechanic to diagnose the problem and I was advised that the transmission oil had mixed with the coolant in the radiator, causing coolant to be in my transmission fluid and transmission fluid in my radiator. I was advised that this was a common problem with my vehicle type that Nissan was aware of, but only offered an extended warranty to 100,000 miles. If Nissan is aware of the defect in their parts, they should be made to pay for the repairs that this defect has caused and not put the burden on the backs of their customers. I will never purchase another Nissan vehicle and will tell everyone that I know not to purchase a Nissan.

- New Orleans, LA, USA

Feb 202014

Transmission was shuttering after inspection there was water in transmission from leaking radiator that Nissan knew about but didn't warn consumers.

- Cartersville, GA, USA

Apr 112014

Pathfinder 6-cyl

While driving the truck normally, in the morning, I came to a stop at a stoplight. Once the light turned green I pressed the pedal to accelerate and the truck was slow to respond (as if it was in a higher gear to start) once it was up to about 20mph it drove decent enough. I came to another stop and it happened again, same as before, and the check engine light came on. I was stopping at a school to drop kids off and turned into a spot and turned off the truck. It would not turn back on when attempted. I checked the diagnostic codes and came up with U1000, U1001, P0717. I had to tow it away from the parking lot a couple days later. Once I was able to check the truck out, I found a substantial amount of transmission fluid (frothed) in the coolant. I read that this is due to the internal radiator transmission cooler failing and mixing the coolant with the transmission fluid. I also found that the reason for the truck not starting was that the 10A fuse for the A/T ECU blew. I have replaced the radiator, flushed the cooling system, and am about to take a sample of the transmission fluid to see if there is coolant in the transmission before I talk to a repair facility about repairing the transmission.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Apr 142014

The contact owns a 2007 Nissan Pathfinder. The contact stated that while traveling various speeds, the vehicle shifted erratically. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was found that radiator fluid was entering the transmission. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage and VIN was not available.

- Haltom City, TX, USA

Apr 072014

Pathfinder 6-cyl

Had cross contamination of coolant and transmission fluid. Nissan garage discovered this after I took to the shop for something completely unrelated. For some reason the garage never checked for this or mentioned the class action suit when my vehicle was under 100,000 miles. I had to pay $5,000 and could not recover anything from the class action, as my vehicle has 112,000 miles. I still owe on it! there should have been a recall, but Nissan decided to extend the warranty and save a ton of money, knowing that this issue would frequently occur after 100,000 miles. We as consumers, are driving around like fools, thinking that our vehicles are reliable and safe.

- Lower Burrell, PA, USA

Jan 102014

Pathfinder 6-cyl

The fluids of the radiator and transmission mixed. 3 mechanics and a Nissan dealer said its a known issue between 2005~2007. And no recalls we're being issued. I had a diagnostic test done at antwerpen Nissan done when my Pathfinder was running. I have had a 95 sentry, I have a 09 versa, I have talked my mother in law into a Nissan Altima, as well as my step mom. My husband has talked a couple of his co workers into a Nissan also. I want to know why there has been no recalls on a "well kept secret" as that is what I was told.

- Windsor Mill, MD, USA

Mar 012014

Vehicle struggling to shift. Diagnosis: Transmission fluid leaking into the radiator. Replaced radiator drained and replaced all fluids, still struggling to shift.

- Titusville, PA, USA

Mar 282014

Pathfinder 6-cyl

This vehicle was bought from dealer early 2010 with around 40,000 miles. There was no knowledge of a manufacturing design defect inside of the radiator. A leakage due to an internal tube inside the radiator causes transmission fluid to be cross-contaminated and become mixed then over time destroys both the transmission and radiator. Nissan manufacturer won't help with repairing this problem. On top of that, the mileage makes me ineligible for extended warranty. It is 10 years/100,000 miles which ever comes first. Help me please!!!! I don't have $10,000 to pay for this repair when its not my fault. This is a manufacturer defect and they don't have an official recall on this problem but an out of reach warranty. Failure happens after 100,000 miles mostly.

- Southaven, MS, USA

Mar 222014

Pathfinder 6-cyl

Vehicle began to shake as if riding over bumps at approx 60-65 mph and then when approaching a stop a jerky shift would occur at approx 5-10 mph. Service engine soon illuminated car would not accelerate more than 10 mph so my wife pulled into a parking lot and shut the car off. The car would not start again and had to be towed. I had the code pulled from the ECU and it reported error "P0717 input turbine speed sensor circuit no signal". after searching online I found a lot of information on defective radiator in 2005-2010 Nissan Pathfinder, xtera and frontier which allows coolant and transmission fluid to mix and causes transmission failure which was also confirmed by contaminated coolant in the radiator. This is a safety concern as there were no signs of this failure like so many people have reported until its sudden failure and there should be a recall in place.

- Roseville, CA, USA

Feb 142014

Pathfinder 6-cyl

I always take my car in for service at glendale Nissan and so last year in July of 2013 I asked were there any recall on my car I was told no. So in Feb of this year2014 I started experiencing some problems with me heat inside the car. They checked it and told me my transmission fluid was mixing with my coolant and I needed to replace both and its gonna cost me $5600. I asked was there a recall on this and I was told yes and my car wasn't covered because of the mileage. I instantly got upset because I always take my car in for service to this dealership. I was told I could try to replacing the radiator and drain the transmission but that was no guarantee how long the car would work. I did just my car is staying idle while driving and it wont idle down for a period of time. I tried calling the 1800nissan1 number and explain my problem and they told me they can't help me and nothing they could do. This is so wrong! I've spent so much money at this dealership its ridiculous. Ive replaced my computer, belts, hoses, spark plugs, oil changes, drain my transmission much I cant even remember everything. If they know that this is happening to these cars and put out a recall for this how can they get away with this! im a single parent of 5 children there's no way I can afford this!! and this is my only car I have for transportation!! this is just plain wrong! they shouldn't be allowed to get away with this!

- Carol Stream, IL, USA

Mar 142014

Pathfinder 6-cyl

My 2007 Nissan path finder was recently was diagnosed with a complete failure to the transmission due to a failure of the "radiator assembly" that failed and allowed water to get inside the transmission containment and this caused catastrophic failure to the transmission. Requiring now that the whole transmission needs to be replaced. The only warning I got was the failure warning light from my car, and at that point its already damaged. Looking for an explanation I turned to Nissan and I learned that this is recognized by Nissan defect and thought my vehicle hasn't been completely abandon by Nissan Corp. I still have to contribute $2.5K towards repairs for a known failing design, that fixing it could have prevent the much more costly result of leaving it as is. What happened to Nissan standing by their product and making good on poor design? even what's more is that I was mailed a letter regarding a class action reimbursement in legal lingo that I didn't fully understand and felt it didn't apply to me since id have no expenses. Yet it now makes sense as to what its purpose was.. it was to monetary reimburse those with Nissan's at my similar age and mileage for repair they performed due to admitting it was a faulty design. I cant help but wonder what harm would it have been to publish an advisory letter and allow the consumer the right to make repair prior to a complete failure. Additional Nissan Consumer Affairs dept. Need a personality training as they are unable to say anything unless it is pre-scripted for them. I'm beginning to rethink my forth vehicle purchase to not be a Nissan.

- Port Hueneme, CA, USA

Feb 272014

Bought 2007 Nissan Pathfinder fall 2010. Dec 2010 in for oil change at dealership. Sent home paper w/ boxes checked showing transmission & coolant "may need future attention" nothing else brought to our attention. 40,912 miles on truck. Dec 2013- 99,279 miles- took truck to dealership- wasn't heating at idle. Found to be low on coolant, contaminated transmission fluid, and oil sludge in the engine (oil light did not come on) they flushed fluids, refilled them & told us to change oil every 1,000 miles for a few months to ensure clean. Jan 13 2014 another oil change, another checked box stating transmission fluids "may need future attention" even though flushed 18 days ago. Feb 10 2014 another oil change, another checked box stating coolant "may need future attention". this seemed to be routine and nothing more since fluids routinely need changing. Feb 27, 2014 -103,000 miles- engine light on, drove immediately to dealership. Diagnosis: Coolant had leaked into the transmission from the radiator ruining both. $5,000+ to fix.found there are over 110,000 Nissan Pathfinders with exact problem, Nissan is/has been aware of this, but since there is no recall they don't have to inform owners. There is a class action lawsuit. Because of this, warranty was extended to 100,000 mi. But, this is happening right around or after 100,000, it is too late. Nissan will only pay for anything over $3,000, but are installing rebuilt transmissions that cost just that, so we are still paying total cost. Visits show that at 40,912 & 99,279 miles they knew this was the problem did not inform us since they would have been liable. A mechanic of 30 years explained that low coolant and cold on idle means there is a leak which will also cause oil sludge. Visits 1& 2 mos later also showed signs of leakage. Signs were all there and ignored! dangerous if happens while driving.

- Hendersonville , TN, USA