Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2013 has a growing number of transmission complaints at low mileage. The issue is part of a class-action lawsuit that says the transmissions shake violently during acceleration between 15mph and 30mph.

2013 Nissan Pathfinder engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Nissan Pathfinder:

2013 Nissan Pathfinder Owner Comments (Page 1 of 4)

Jul 052016

The contact owns a 2013 Nissan Pathfinder. While driving 60 mph, the vehicle lost power and stalled. The check engine indicator illuminated and the vehicle was coasted to the side of the road. The gear shifter failed to move out of park and the steering wheel seized. The contact waited five minutes and was able to resume driving. The failure recurred numerous times. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the brakes and battery failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired and the failure recurred. The dealer stated that the transmission failed and needed to be replaced. In addition, the rear door failed to open. The manufacturer was not notified of the failures. The approximate failure mileage was 43,000.

- Woodland, CA, USA

Apr 202016

I've purchased this car 18 months ago, and just started experiencing loss of power and jolting. It's loses power and won't go. It just puts puts puts foot all the way to the floor. Had to have it towed to my house. The next day it starts up I drive it to Nissan they said I need a new transmission. I payed 30,000 for this car and 18 months later I need a new transmission I don't have the money for that I still owe 21,000 on the car. So it's sitting in my driveway.

- Otisville, NY, USA

Apr 022016

A few things have been happening with my 2013 Nissan Pathfinder. I bought this vehicle brand new Feb 2013 and the issues stared right away. The one thing that has been happening is the car feels like it's going to stall. I will be driving down the road or on the highway and it feels like it is in neutral all of the sudden. I will press the gas pedal all the way to the floor and nothing. When turning into traffic or just turning period, it does the same thing. It is very scary. I have 2 young children and this is very dangerous. I have reported the problem numerous times to the dealership who claims they fixed the problem or did not notice any problems I was describing. It seems to be getting worse as the vehicle ages. Just the other day I was driving on the highway when not only was I experiencing this happening while driving 75 mph but my cruise control wouldnżT engage (I thought maybe this would help keep the car at the right speed) but it wouldnżT turn on. Then the ABS & vdc lights turned on. When I got home I turned the car off and turned it back on and the lights were no longer on. Next time I tried the cruise control it worked. Another thing that has been happening is my brake lights will stay on when the car is turned off, not every time but many times and there have been times I didnżT catch it. Just this morning my battery was dead and the battery is only a few months old. IżM thinking these lights stayed on all night. Before trying to jump-start my battery, with the vehicle off, there was a clicking sound coming from the far right of the engine. We were able to jump start my car and it has been working fine today so far but I have an appointment at the dealer, yet again, for these issues.

- Santa Fe, NM, USA

Sep 012015

My 2013 Pathfinder studders like it's not getting gas. It has completely stalled while driving in busy traffic. I took it to the dealership which stated they could not get it to duplicate the problem. This can happen on inclines and when I got to stop or slow down then go to accelerate against it studders really bad. It sometimes will not start due to not recognizing the key fob.

- Logan, OH, USA

Feb 122016

Vehicle stalls at various times while driving, will not accelerate while pressing on gas pedal. Has now happened 6 times in 3 months. Stalled also, while on cruise control going downhill and would not engage until on level surface for 15 seconds, lost 35 mph during this incident. Passenger side front airbag light is illuminated indicating that no one is in seat while seat is occupied. I have several photos and dates of this particular problem.

- Covington, LA, USA

Jun 012015

Pathfinder 6-cyl

While driving, vehicle looses power, acceleration, pressing on gas and nothing happens, shift car to neutral and press on gas and RPM"S go up, shift back to drive, press on gas and RPM's don't move, vehicle does not go. All the times that it has happened we had to coast either to the side of road, or to next light. This is a rear end collision waiting to happen, this is definitely a safety issue!!! took car to Nissan dealer, but since car did not detect any error codes, dealership was unable to find fix, but there is definitely something wrong with car, went unto this site and found more than 100 complaint similar to mine, about car loosing power. Somebody has to look into this before someone gets seriously hurt or dies. This is my wife's car and I have a 3yr old and a 2yr old that she drives around, please, someone look into this.

- Lakeside, CA, USA

May 072015

My Pathfinder has already had the transmission replaced once and is still having issues. Since this past Thursday, it has been hesitating or feeling like it is in neutral when it is in drive. I took note of the latest one today. I was stopped (on a major street) waiting for oncoming traffic to pass. It did, and I accelerated to turn left and the car felt like I had put it in neutral. It was slowly rolling but not accelerating as I crossed over the on-coming lane and continued with my left turn. I check to see if it was in drive (it was) and checked the speed (20mph) because I had brought it in last week when it did it the first three times, and they asked me what speed I was going when it happened. The time prior to that I was changing lanes on the highway (infront of a large truck) at about 50 mph and when I went to accelerate, I got the same feeling. I could have been killed! the time prior to that, I had been at a red light. When the light changed, I crossed over the first section of the red light then turned left and attempted to accelerate but it (again) felt like I had thrown it into neutral. I pulled to the side of the road for a second to let other cars pass in case it stalled on me. The first time was just when driving down the road. This has me extremely scared as in two of the situations, I could have been killed if I couldn't accelerate to move and a car plowed into me.

- River Ridge, LA, USA

Mar 312015

The contact owns a 2013 Nissan Pathfinder. While driving at 40 mph, smoke started to emit from the engine without warning. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The technician was unable to diagnose the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 18,000. The VIN was not available.

- Brooklyn, NY, USA

Mar 242015

The contact owns a 2013 Nissan Pathfinder. The contact stated that when driving at an incline or at a stop before accessing a highway, the vehicle stalled without warning. The contact also mentioned that the rubber and the roof racks deteriorated causing the rubber to partially detach. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The VIN was not available. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 33,000.

- Madison, AL, USA

Feb 272015

When the car is full of passengers the transmission starts to miss shift causing a vibration. Feels unsafe when carrying passengers. Also vehicles backup camera is starting to act up. The video is screen has lines through it and sometimes the backup alarms deactivate.

- Miami, FL, USA

Feb 132015

Pathfinder 6-cyl

I was pulling out of a parking lot. I drove a few yards and the car would not accelerate over 25mph even though I was pushing on the accelerator. There were no warning lights, but the RPM's would not go up. I stopped and put it in park, revved the engine, and put it in drive again. It worked fine for about a mile until I pulled up to a stop light. As the light turned green, I could not get the car to go over 25 mph. (I was turning left at the intersection, so it was very dangerous that I could not get the car to accelerate as I was facing upcoming traffic.) I pulled onto the shoulder and put it in park again. I was able to make it the additional mile home but thankfully did not have to stop at a light again. The dealership has ran diagnostics on it and can't find anything wrong with it, but I'm scared to drive it again.

- Katy, TX, USA

Dec 172014

The contact owns a 2013 Nissan Pathfinder. While driving at 40 mph, the vehicle jerked and failed to accelerate without warning. The failure recurred on several occasions. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, but the technician was unable to duplicate the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified. The VIN was not provided. The failure mileage was 13,000.

- Staten Island, NY, USA

Sep 182013

2013 Nissan Pathfinder shudders at low speed or accelerating from stop position. Have taken vehicle to dealer several times (12) since Sept 2013. Replaced transmission 3 times, transmission software update performed twice. Each time afterwards I was told some made up story from it's working fine now to you must have been spinning your tires on the wet roads. I took videos of the violent shuddering and loss of acceleration to the service dept and was told there is no fix available for this transmission issue and to drive it as best you can. 55K for a new car to drive the best I can!!!"?" contacted Nissan corporation to file a complaint, after 5 days was denied any relief. Contacted a lemon law attorney and filed a claim. Within 2 days of Nissan being notified by the attorney, they were willing to settle. I received a full buy out and refund of all deposits and monthly payments. God riddance!!!! buyer beware!

- Westampton, NJ, USA

Sep 232014

Pathfinder 4WD 6-cyl

Driving home and going up an inclined hill...I noticed my vehicle(2013 Nissan Pathfinder) suddenly had a hesitation and started to judder happened at low speed of 20-25mph. Nissan is aware of this cvt issue and has not addressed it yet. I read somewhere that they are trying to reprogramming the cvt and seeing if this resolves the issue otherwise folks have had the cvt replaced and still in the same boat....this is a noticeable judder at 20-25 mph on a slight incline. I am the original owner of a 2003 Nissan murano with 88K and the first of its kind with cvt technology and never experienced this type of juddering issue. You would think Nissan would have refined the cvt to a point so these issue would not happen....I like the cvt technology but now I am having my doubts.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Jan 152014

Pathfinder 6-cyl

Car when slowing down and accelerate again was jerking or hesitating to accelerate. Brought to dealer 3times already and said torque converter is the problem.for the last 2 visits to car dealer they just adjust it. This time they are going to replace the transmission.

- Cathedral City, CA, USA

Feb 122014

Pathfinder 6-cyl

Fyi...this has happened multiple times at various speeds. The engine will just shut off while driving down the road. Many times before this I have experienced the shuddering that has been reported numerous times but when the car begins to lose power without warning it is extremely dangerous. My family and I have been extremely blessed that each time this has happened I have been able to get to the shoulder of the road. The only thing that works is to restart the car. Two different dealerships have dealt with the issues and both have done everything they know to do. The torque converter was replaced and the computer was replaced also. We purchased the car with approximately 22000 miles so the lemon law does not apply to us. For the 7 months that we have owned the car, it has been at the service departments half of the time. It is very frightening that we purchased a "like new" car and now my family and I do not feel safe in it.

- Valdosta, GA, USA

Jan 152014

I filed a complaint yesterday, August 27, 2014, about my 2013 Nissan Pathfinder confirmation number 10628699, and forgot to put on there that this vehicle also hesitates to go at times and when it does, it has a tugging feeling (that is how I explain it). Like it can't find the gear or not enough gas. I would like to add this to my other complaint, please. Very amazed to see that there are others out there with the same problems I have and they are also not being repaired. I feel I am the only one or that is how the service dept. At the dealer makes me feel.

- Garrison, TX, USA

Aug 132013

Upon acceleration, the transmission seems to stall for a brief moment. This is happening more frequently now and stalls a little longer each time upon acceleration.

- Odessa, TX, USA

Apr 022014

The contact owns a 2013 Nissan Pathfinder. The contact stated that while driving at low speeds, the vehicle would sputter and decelerated sporadically without any warnings. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The technician was unable to diagnose the failure. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 9,000 and the current mileage was 13,000.

- Exeter, NH, USA

Aug 172013

Pathfinder 6-cyl

Bought my Pathfinder in August 2013 I love it!!! but noticed that the passenger airbag light illuminated when my son (119 pounds) sit's in the seat. This happen often. I pull over all the time turn off the SUV and restart several times until it goes off. Nissan finally did a recall on it but it has not gone away. Also it used to illuminate when I set my diaper bag on it which is supposed to but now after the recall "fix" it does not illuminate when something light weight is set on it. It has a mind of it's own and I am worried that it could possibly fail if we were to get into a collision. I have taken it in several times to check it but it always comes up as working properly. Please find a fix for this issue. The other issue I have found is when accelerating there is some kind of tugging/pulling/lagging feeling as if it does not want to pick up speed. It does however pick up speed but the "tugging" feels as if the SUV is going to stall out. What it this"?"

- Dewey, AZ, USA