Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2013 has a growing number of transmission complaints at low mileage. The issue is part of a class-action lawsuit that says the transmissions shake violently during acceleration between 15mph and 30mph.

2013 Nissan Pathfinder seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Nissan Pathfinder:

2013 Nissan Pathfinder Owner Comments (Page 5 of 7)

Jun 182014

Pathfinder 6-cyl

We first got a recall notice, and took the vehicle to the dealership. I asked them that other than the recall I needed them to see why the brakes on the vehicle squeak on occasions. They said everything was good and that the brakes didn't have anything. When my wife got in a vehicle collision a couple of days ago she had my 2 daughters 3 and 4 with her. The airbags in our vehicle didn't deploy and the other vehicles did. My wife was going 15 mph but the other vehicle was going about 65 mph. Thanks to god nobody in the vehicle got severely hurt other than scratches and bruises. The vehicle was not totaled and will be repaired, I am really concern for my family's safety driving this vehicle.

- Imperial, CA, USA

Aug 172013

Pathfinder 6-cyl

Bought my Pathfinder in August 2013 I love it!!! but noticed that the passenger airbag light illuminated when my son (119 pounds) sit's in the seat. This happen often. I pull over all the time turn off the SUV and restart several times until it goes off. Nissan finally did a recall on it but it has not gone away. Also it used to illuminate when I set my diaper bag on it which is supposed to but now after the recall "fix" it does not illuminate when something light weight is set on it. It has a mind of it's own and I am worried that it could possibly fail if we were to get into a collision. I have taken it in several times to check it but it always comes up as working properly. Please find a fix for this issue. The other issue I have found is when accelerating there is some kind of tugging/pulling/lagging feeling as if it does not want to pick up speed. It does however pick up speed but the "tugging" feels as if the SUV is going to stall out. What it this"?"

- Dewey, AZ, USA

Sep 112013

I was driving the car about 20 to 25 mph but when I tried to brake the brake did not stopped the car and there was an accident my self and my girl friend got injured and we had to go for crayaprator for long time this car is not safe at all North american Nissan is not willing to work with me nor the abc Nissan where I bought the car. Bad customer service.

- Laveen, AZ, USA

Dec 262013

Pathfinder 6-cyl

I noticed that occasionally when I was driving and my wife was in the passenger seat that the "front passenger air bag status light" was indicating "off." The problem happened with other passengers as well. Several times while this was happening I drove to the nearby Nissan dealership and pulled into the service bay. A few seconds after I came to a stop and before a service representative could come over the light went off. I returned the Pathfinder several times for repair including the recall. The problem persisted. The service manager had a dealer technical specialist (dts) look at the car. The dts said that when the vehicle is started the sensors determine if there is a child in the seat and "classifies" this to the air bag control module. There are 3 conditions that can be "classified" - empty, child, and adult. When the gear shift lever is moved from park the status ("classification") at that instant is retained. Subsequently if the vehicle comes to a complete stop (regardless of gear selection) for several seconds then this "classification" is repeated. The dts and the service manager were able to "manipulate" the car to leave the air bag status light displaying off by putting a partial load in the passenger seat and then moving the gear shift from park to reverse and subsequently to drive. The light would continue to display off until they let the car come to a complete stop for several seconds. They concluded that this "manipulation" was what was happening when my wife and other passengers were in the passenger seat. This is a characteristic of the algorithm of the air bag control module. It is related to the changes made by the recall but not the specific situation. The dts then said that this was "normal" and couldn't be repaired. This is like the steve jobs' "you're holding it wrong" comment but with my passenger's safety.

- Southaven, MS, USA

Dec 182013

The contact owns a 2013 Nissan Pathfinder. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 14V138000 (air bags, electrical system). The vehicle was repaired however, the airbag warning indicator continued to illuminate intermittently after the recall repairs were performed. The manufacturer was notified of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 8000.

- Woodbury, MN, USA

Jan 022013

Pathfinder 6-cyl

My Pathfinder has been at the dealership 4 times to correct the NHTSA recall 14V-138 this problem has not been resolved in spite of two recalls. When sitting in the passenger seat (an adult weighing 140lbs) the off indicator still is activated indicating that the air bag is shut off. I can remain off for over an hour while driving. I feel that this is a safety issue inspite of being told by the service department that the air bag will deploy even if it is off. This makes me more worried because what if there was a person too light and it should be off"???"

- Annapolis, MD, USA

May 182014

Pathfinder 6-cyl

Vehicle at 5400 RPM on level road would only achieve a speed of 41 mph, this was on a highway paused with a posted speed limit of 65 mph. Vehicle paused, shuttered and engine seemed to be working but transmission would not engage completely. We felt that we could have been rear ended and killed. This was three days after Nissan had replaced the transmission for shuttering at 19 mph over a six month period. After stopping several times the vehicle reacted as close to normal as we would expect, just in time to get home. We have brought this vehicle to the dealer ship for passenger side airbag light showing it was off, when it should have been on, for back up sensor acting as though off but actually off, the smell of antifreeze and no leaks and last the brakes delaying. Nissan continued until recently stated that it was normal. There are numerous sites stating these same issues. We could have been killed, this is serious, no power on the expressway.

- Loganville, GA, USA

May 052014

Pathfinder 6-cyl

Since purchasing the 2013 Pathfinder, problems are relentless. Liftgate sticking and rubbing. Broken door handles, driver and passenger. Bolt falling out of alternator while driving. Airbags not working properly. Now for the past few months a shudder/vibration which happens intermittently. Usually at low speeds when turning or accelerating. Brought to dealer in 2/14 and needed reprogramming. Started happening again, brought to dealer was told they can't duplicate so there is nothing they can do. Happening again now on 5/6 and there is no answer. Afraid car will stall out in intersection causing a major accident. Same issue happening to tons of people, yet no response from Nissan.

- Galloway, NJ, USA

Apr 212014

Pathfinder 4WD 6-cyl

My Pathfinder was recalled (14V-138) to fix the occupant classification system. I took the car in and it was "fixed." When my wife, who weighs about 112 pounds, sits in the right seat, the light comes on indicating that air bag is turned off. I called the dealer (abc Nissan in phoenix) and they said that the system is designed to turn the air bag off unless the occupant weighs more that 110 pounds. That puts my wife in jeopardy in the event of a head-on collision. I was told that there is nothing that they can do - the sensor cannot be turned off and the weight limit cannot be changed. Why should my wife's life be jeopardized to protect idiots who put small children in the front seat? if they want to put a limit on the weight, it should be around 50 pounds. If I am in an accident and my wife is injured, I guarantee that I will sue Nissan and NHTSA for millions.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Apr 052014

Pathfinder 6-cyl

Passenger airbag light comes on, even with another adult in the seat. Light stays on constantly. We have taken the vehicle in to our local Nissan dealer three times for this, and problem still persists.

- Lawrenceville, GA, USA

Apr 232013

Pathfinder 4WD 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2013 Nissan Pathfinder. The contact stated that the passenger side air bag indicator light illuminated intermittently while an adult was is in the seat. The contact received recall notification related to NHTSA campaign id number 14V138000 (air bags, electrical system). The vehicle was taken to dealer who could not duplicate the failure. The manufacturer was notified of the defect. The approximate failure mileage was 21,800. Updated 06/10/14

- Fairfax, VA, USA

Jan 012013

I have taken my car to the Nissan dealership in orlando, Florida. The airbag light on the dash keeps flashing and the indicator light on the passenger side says passenger airbag 2 off. I took it to reed Nissan the first time, and they didn't write anything on it because it didn't do it when they took it out. I took it back a second time and made sure they wrote it down this time. They kept the car two days and returned it with a note stating the airbag had been recalibrated. Less than 2 weeks later, the lights are back on with passengers in the seat. The manager has told me that is the way the lights are supposed to be functioning. Now I see that Nissan is "deciding" what to do with the recall because of this sensor problem that could lead to the airbag failing. I am publicly stating that should this happen, it was brought to reed Nissan's attention, and they chose to tell me this is proper functioning of the lights. Nissan and reed Nissan will be held legally accountable if anything should happen to my family while they "decide" what to do with a major malfunctioning piece of equipment.

- Orlando, FL, USA

Mar 112013

Pathfinder 6-cyl

Our 2013 Pathfinder started to shudder upon acceleration. It initially happened prior to this mileage, but it was intermittent and we thought we had just driven over a rough patch of road. However, this issue increased in duration and frequency until the car would almost stall. You would have to stop acceleration and then resume for it to stop. It most frequently happened after making a turn...unfortunately..this is often after a stop sign when you need acceleration or getting on the freeway. The ECM has been reflashed, replaced torque converters and a couple cvt transmission in the first year. The problem still persists. It starts small and then ramps up as mileage increases. The air bag continues to go on and off while a passenger is seated. The passenger is an adult over 110lbs, but the dealership maintains nothing is wrong with it. We've driven down the freeway for 1 hour with no problem and then the light will come on which means the airbag is not functioning. We've tried different sitting positions to see if that is the cause, but it doesn't matter. It also keeps blowing fuses for the rear heated seats.

- Ammonq, ID, USA

Jun 102013

The passenger side airbag on my vehicle keeps showing as off when there is an adult in the seat that is over 120 pounds. The dealer has performed the air bag recall on this vehicle and it does not seem to have helped.

- Riverside, CA, USA

Jan 012013

Pathfinder 6-cyl

The air bag sensor in the passenger seat is not registering a occupant sitting in the seat. This has occurred several times. The first time did register a airbag malfunction light. The local service department downloaded the fault and cleared it and their response was if this happens again bring it back in. It has happened several times since then but not airbag malfunction light on the dash. The airbag off light will remain on for over a minute. I have several videos of the passenger sitting in the seat while the vehicle is moving and still Nissan refuses to do anything but say look at the owners manual for safe seating positions. I do not want my wife to be injured more as a result of the airbag not deploying. Nissan needs to get this problem sorted out. At this point I don't even want this vehicle anymore.

- Cranberry Twp, PA, USA

Dec 072013

Pathfinder 6-cyl

While turning left, the transmission began to shutter and the vehicle lost power for 2-3 seconds. Passenger airbag off indicator intermittently comes on with passenger in seat.

- Lake Charles, LA, USA

Jun 122013

Pathfinder 6-cyl

Passenger airbag light illuminates as disabled when an adult passenger occupies the seat. Sensor has been reprogrammed but condition still exists. Dealer claims no codes are stored. Manufacturer has been notified. Recall did not affect my vehicle due to production date. Idle has been re-learned several times. Tachometer will drop below 500 as if vehicle is going to stall. Now I am experiencing loss of traction. Tires spin and squeal while just trying to pull out in to traffic. Had vdc light illuminate and shut off after 5 seconds in completely dry conditions. Had metal scraping sound, left wheel bearing and control arm was replaced. Took in to dealer a couple weeks ago for similar metal sound on left side, they claimed backplate bent in to rotor. Metal on metal sound still occurring. Called Nissan to file yet another claim requesting that they absorb negative equity, since my original claim for them to repurchase vehicle was denied. There is something seriously wrong with this car.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Nov 222013

Passenger side airbag light keeps going on when someone is sitting in the sit and not sitting in the seat ( person is at the weight limit and sitting correctly).had the car to the dealer ship three times including once for the recall of this issue. They can not seem to fix the issue and have no clue how to fix with multiple calls to the Nissan tech hotline, they replaced the sensors at least every time. This is starting to be a big safety issue and who knows if the air bag will even work when needed. They could never duplicate the issue when I take it to the dealer, but I go armed with pictures anymore. I have owned many Nissan and this is the first one that has given me an issue. I even turned to Nissan directly and opened complaints with this issue, it seems like they just give me the run around. I am not looking for anything but just a car that works, I bought a new car and want a new car. If I wanted a car with these type of issues I would of bought a used one. Nissan needs to do something with this problem it's a safety issue before someone get hurts or dies. Then who's going to pay for it? I know I'm not the only one with these issues!

- Exeter , PA, USA

May 022013

Pathfinder 6-cyl

Vehicle was sold on May 2nd, 2013. Nissan had issued safety recall PC216 for the occupant classification system at least one month prior to this date. This safety recall was not applied to vehicle until after the sale. Dealership is southern states Nissan, their repair order 6359677/1 dated May 2nd, 2013 documents the fact that the recall was performed after the sale.

- Knightdale, NC, USA

Feb 052013

Pathfinder 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2013 Nissan Pathfinder. The contact stated that the front passenger's side air bag would not activate when the front passenger's seat was occupied. The contact mentioned that the air bag would not recognize the weight of a 75 pound person. The contact stated that the vehicle was previously serviced under NHTSA campaign id number: 13V069000 (air bags). Afterward, the vehicle was taken to a dealer on numerous occasions where the failure was unable to be duplicated. The manufacturer was contacted about the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 2,000 and the current mileage was 5,000. Updated 12/20/13

- Channing, TX, USA