CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2005-2007 Xterra appears to have a widespread defect where coolant leaks into the transmission, causing transmission failure around 90,000 miles. Repair costs are typically upwards of $3,500.

The same defect exists in the Pathfinder & Frontier as well. And according to the New York Times & a class action lawsuit, the defect actually extends through 2010 model year. More info here.

9.2

$3,749.00

1. new radiator and transmission rebuild (77 reports)
  2. replaced radiator and transmission (33 reports)
  4. replace transmission (24 reports)
  5. new radiator, transmission, and flush fluids (23 reports)
  6. so far a new radiator and transmission flush (6 reports)
2005 Nissan Xterra transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Nissan Xterra:

2005 Nissan Xterra Owner Comments (Page 1 of 11)

Apr 082014

Xterra LX V6

We've had the same response from Nissan USA as all the other owners - absolutely no help whatsoever. Their customer service people told us we had to tow the vehicle to an 'authorized dealer' in order to determine the problem, even though they know of this problem. We spent $130 on the tow and then they wanted to charge us $140 for the diagnosis. Guess what? It was radiator fluid in the transmission and both are ruined.

Since our vehicle has more than 100,000 miles their rep, Jason Boynter, said tough luck and with a bored/rude tone of voice told us we could file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau, he didn't care, they weren't doing anything to help us.

The original estimate for the repair by our Nissan dealership was $6,400. They dropped it to $5,600 but a local transmission shop can do it for $4200. So, Nissan sells a defective vehicle and then wants to profit on the repairs for it. Smooth.

I will do everything in my power to tell everyone I know not to buy NISSAN. Period. They don't stand behind their vehicles and they don't care about their customers.

- , Bloomburg, TX, USA

May 012014

Xterra

I evidently missed getting info on the recall. Nearest dealership is 100 miles away and says it will do the job for $3,000.00 while covering the rest of the cost of repair. However... the Nissan Office of Consumer affairs wants me to call immediately after the dealership gives me the results of their diagnosis. Maybe they can help me some more, but maybe not.

- , Quincy, CA, USA

Jul 132014

Xterra

It's the same old story. 2005 Nissan Xterra having a transmission failure. Had it towed to a transmission shop since the car is totally off warranty (100,000+ miles). Today is 8/13 and we are into the 4th week waiting for the shop to complete the repair. It's not the shop's fault. They needed the valve control assembly. Nissan does have them in stock because they are being sucked up like crazy for all the failures. Took 3 weeks to get the part. Sad thing. It did not work! The microprocessor would not communicate to the computer.

So I ordered another part from my dealer (by the way, the car is 70 miles away from the dealer) and they said they can get it delivered in 2-3 days. The part is in stock, yada yada yada. That was Friday 8/8. Today, 8/13, I'm being told it won't get in until maybe Friday which means I'll have to wait until the following week to get the shop to even try to install it.

Through all this, the transmission shop tells me there was a Nissan posting regarding this problem and that they offered refunds depending upon age and miles. My SUV's age and miles basically say I'm screwed. So I'm wondering, why no recall? Why wasn't there a notification to the owner (me) that this was a defect?

Worst yet, they knew about this problem and can't even come up with parts? All they can do is make excuses.

So here's my thought. Who can I complain to in Nissan that even cares that might help me get this part expedited. Also, is there a any class action lawsuit on this that I can get in on? This is absolutely ridiculous. Think a report to the BBB would help?

- , Mantua, NJ, USA

Jul 212014

Xterra V6

Purchased my '05 Nissan Xterra in the spring of 2012 with about 160,000 miles. For the past 4-5 months I had minor issues like shuddering/vibrations randomly when I accelerated and the heat not working when I was at a complete stop. It was not until the other day when I was at a complete stop and my car would not accelerate properly that I knew I had a problem with the transmission. I took my Xterra to 3 different mechanics and each one explained to me that I would need a completely new transmission and from there they would see if I in fact needed to change the radiator (which they were positive was the original issue due to similar issues with other Nissan SUV owners). The repairs will cost me well over $4,000 and unfortunately, there is no way I can afford to repair the transmission and radiator. What was appalling to me was when I researched the issue online. There are hundreds upon hundreds of complaints online on various websites about this issue and Nissan has yet to issue a recall. The extended warranty excluded many people and put many more at an unfair disadvantage. I personally bought my Nissan, because of their reputation, but the fact that they will not come to the aid of their consumers speaks volumes of this company.

- , Bear, Delaware, USA

May 022014

Xterra SE 4.0L

Obviously this is a manufacturers defect It is widely reported and has affected so many Nissan owners of several year models. I am quite angry about the failure of Nissan to do the responsible thing regarding this problem (regardless of the mileage) on the huge numbers of vehicles affected by this same defect. This vehicle - purchased for my daughter - was the 8th Nissan I have bought and we were loyal Nissan owners for many years - in fact, I have recommended them to almost everyone I know. Well, not anymore! I bought my wife a new Toyota Highlander this year and am telling everyone that I have lost trust and faith in Nissan after 30 years of driving nothing else. All our Nissans received excellent care and they have all exceeded 300.000 miles before being replaced. I expected no less from this one.

- , Arthur City, TX, USA

Jul 152014

Xterra SE 4.0L V6

This is known defect. Nissan should have recalled and fixed everyone. The $2500.00 co-pay to fix a known defect in a car is a joke. I will not be buying another Nissan! I received a letter a few years ago stating that this problem is very rare. That is BS!

- , Reedley, CA, USA

Jul 252014

Xterra 4.0L

This is a problem with Nissans. The radiator leaked into the transmission-ruining the transmission. It needed to be rebuilt and the radiator needed to be replaced.Costs over 5000.00 to get fixed. Thought I could file a claim but was told its too late!!!!!That's not fair.

- , Sayreville, NJ, USA

Jun 012014

Xterra SE 4.0L

have a missing problem in trans. read on internet that nissan has added an extended warranty for radiator and trans replace. this is due to coolant leaking from rad. to trans, which causes the trans to fail. i called nissan and asked them to fix what i call a "recall" they said no it's an extended warranty only. i told them i bought a nissan, 2nd owner from a dealership "larry h. miller" in salt lake. and they never mentioned a problem or anything. i drove the vehicle for the last 2 years without a problem. now this starts. nissan said "sorry" the first $3,000 is from you. how is it i have to pay for their defective part? they "sorry" i said this is ridiculous. how can you do make the consumer pay for your mistake. would you buy a hamburger with rotten meat, and then pay for extra cheese? they have told me again "sorry" well sorry doesn't stop me from having to walk to work, while i make payments for a truck that won't run. i tried to even trade the truck in and no one will take because of the problem. i owe 12k on the truck and it is worth 8k on a trade or 10.5k private party according to Kelly Blue Book. and that's if the truck runs correctly. the dealership is willing to give me $5300 for it on a trade now. thanks nissan for give the worst headache since my daughter's first date.if anyone has any solutions let me know, or else i'm might go picket in front of nissan corp office.

- , Mesquite, Nevada, USA

May 152014

Xterra SE 4.0L V6

Crap,

Just bought this car 1 year ago. Obviously, issue due to a design and factory defect.

$3,672 later, my transmission might still be going out.

Will never buy another Nissan again!!!

- , Quincy, IL, USA

May 152014

Xterra

I'm supposed to be happy about "only" a $3000.00 deductible for the extended warranty from Nissan to cover this problem. Poor design, lost class action law suit, should have been a full recall from the company. This is my 2nd X Terra, and I was about to shop for the next one. Not anymore, lost respect for Nissan after reading all the stories on the web from the many with this same problem.

- , Harahan, LA, USA

Aug 012014

Xterra

Last night my wife was stranded borrowing my Sentra when the battery died (I walk to work so my car gets minimal use; understandable) until a Samaritan gave us a jump after I failed to start it. She’s borrowing my car because her inoperable Xterra has been at the Connel Nissan dealership in Costa Mesa, CA for a week awaiting our pickup. We took our Xterra to a family-friend mechanic shop in August last year because of a vibration in the engine. He recommended replacing the radiator and flushing the transmission. The vehicle ran fine until recently when it would stop moving forward in the middle of the freeway, and eventually struggled to drive even after idling.

We took the Xterra back to the mechanic who said the transmission had finally given up. I had never heard of a car having this kind of issue with regular highway use, so I researched online only to discover articles on Nissan regarding class-action suits, investigations, extended warranties, and recalls. I found out Nissan extended warranties to 100k miles for our series Xterra and remembered that our radiator issue occurred at 98k miles. I took a chance and called consumer affairs hoping this vehicle could still be covered at 114k miles.

I kept hearing terms like “We’ll take care of it,” and “let us reach out to the dealer and handle it.” Words like that create a strong sense of hope for someone who works in customer service. Vance, in consumer affairs, had spoken with the dealership and emailed me for proof of the work done at 98k miles, which was not even taken into consideration in the end, creating more false hope. I found myself begging to get Vance to see my perspective of the situation when he said Nissan is denying my case because it is out of warranty, and when it was in the extended warranty, the mechanic was not a Nissan dealer.

You can imagine the frustration of not knowing of the extended warranty’s existence until now, so I asked Vance why I wasn’t informed. Apparently it is because the dealerships are responsible for informing customers of known issues with models such as this and only when someone comes to them, they don’t “reach out” to owners. When I explained that I am not a “Connel Nissan” customer, but a Nissan customer having owned nothing but Nissan my entire life, I asked why Nissan doesn’t inform us of such an expensive, dangerous defect as the one we discovered on our own through online research. That question was never answered. The rest of the conversation was filled with apologies from Vance and my expression of how disappointing this experience was.

Three promises were broken from Nissan: “We’ll handle it,” which was the promise made to me from consumer affairs. They heard my story, they made me feel valued, they seemed to empathize with me, yet somehow they had a change of heart for seemingly trivial reasons. The other two promises are in their business model: “We will respect your time,” and “We will market our products and services honestly.” The former promise was broken when it took 3 days of information gathering, for information that was not taken into account, or at least had so little leverage for my case that it could have been avoided in the first place. The latter promise was broken when as a Nissan customer – again, not a Connel Nissan customer, no one was informed of this serious issue. I received letters about the Xterra ECM module having a defect, and my Sentra airbag defect immediately! However, a known issue where Xterras stop driving in the middle of a freeway because they can’t switch gears was kept an insider-secret for dealerships and misfortunate online forum users to know.

I finally emailed several executives at Nissan (randy.parker@nissan-usa.com, takehiro.terai@nissan-usa.com, john.spoon@nissan-usa.com) none of which had any interest in contacting me back and just had consumer affairs call me again to tell me no again. This was an extremely pathetic example of customer service and leadership.

- , Newport Beach, CA, USA

Jun 022014

Xterra S 4.0L

The coolant has contaminated and mixed with the automatic transmission fluid. The Transmission has completely failed, and the vehicle now requires towing and either a full rebuild or replacement of the transmission itself, and new radiator.

- , York, PA, USA

Jun 022014

Xterra

I received a call from my husband on Monday June 2 indicating that something was wrong with his 2005 Nissan Xterra. He said it sounded like it was driving on rumble strips in the road. We went online to find that there have been several complaints brought against Nissan for folks experiencing the same issue.

We contacted our local Nissan dealer, Nationwide Nissan. I spoke with Steven Jones and he informed me that there is a known issue with 2005 Xterra's where the radiator fluid leaks into the transmission which will in turn cause the engine to cease. He then indicated to me that there was a class action law suit that settled back in January 2013 that if the vehicle was under 100,000 miles all would be covered except $3,000. Really, $3,000 is what we would have to pay to have this fixed knowing that this is a defect on the vehicle that Nissan has known about as it effects 2005-2010 Xterra's, Pathfinders and Frontiers. Yet it's us that has to pay out of pocket this astronomical amount of money. Anyone over 100,000 miles would have to pay in full which ranges $7000 - $10,000 depending on the state you live in. You cannot tell me that this is how a company stands by their name.

This was literally almost a total loss on this vehicle but luckily enough we were 300 miles under the 100,000 mark. How is this OK to charge folks these prices for something that is a defect on the Company. To date, we were never notified nor was a recall ever put into place. There are hundreds even thousands of folks filing complaints on this matter. We should not have to have this worry, how we will come up with this amount of money, and by all means we should not have to borrow from 401K's to afford what we rightfully did not damage ourselves.

I WILL NEVER, WE WILL NEVER purchase another Nissan again because they did not stand by their name. All we are asking is that something be done to return our money that we so rightfully should not have had to put out.

- , Baltimore, MD, USA

Jun 032014

Xterra V6

We owe $5,800.00 left on the vehicle and it is projected to cost us $5,500 to fix. The car is pretty much totaled and we still have a few years left to pay it off. We are totally screwed. Out of a vehicle. Paying monthly still. This is borderline criminal. I feel Nissan stole from us. This is wrong.

- , Westbrook, Maine, USA

Jan 152013

Xterra LS V6

Same problem as everybody else -- radiator leaked into transmission, tranny dead, vehicle out of commission. Unbelievable that Nissan did not recall these when they KNEW this was a problem. Lots of people burned as evident here just by the few who know about this site.

Don't give up though! Check this out: http://www.nissanproblems.com/problems/transmission.shtml

"This step is crucial. Don't just complain on forums; The sites below actually manage your complaint in ways that allow useful statistics and they report dangerous trends to the authorities. Law firms often contact these sites for help with Class Action lawsuits. Make sure to file your complaint on all three sites, we can't stress that enough."

Let's get another class action lawsuit going -- not the minimal crap Nissan already slithered by with. This should be a RECALL situation, NOT BASED ON 100K MILES! That's a big way they slithered. Tell everyone you know who's been burned. Everybody here who hasn't, go to the above website and register your complaint. Maybe we can hold these #$@%$@#'s feet to the fire yet!

Make Nissan realize we will do everything we can do to put them out of business if they don't compensate those of us who have been burned by their KNOWN PROBLEM! Other motor companies have had to recall after slithering before. DON'T GIVE UP!

- , Bulls Gap, TN, USA

Jul 162014

Xterra 4.0L

this vehicle has been nothing but problems.It's been a real junkamobile. windows not working, a/c doesn't work, heater doesn't work unless it's at full blast,sensors always tell me tires have low pressure,Aagh !!!!!. It's a real piece of S----T. THANKS I NEEDED THAT

- , Montague, NJ, USA

Apr 012013

Xterra S 4.0L

even after replacing the transmission, the transmission gave out again after only a week. Turns out this was due to water leaking into transmission. I am now in the process of replacing the radiator, and, having much of the transmission rebuilt - again.

- , West Monroe, LA, USA

Mar 282014

Xterra Off-Road V6

I took my car into the shop because of a rumbling noise and shake that was happening while driving. It feels like hitting the safety strips on the edge of the road by the shoulder. The mechanics pulled things apart and identified that there was radiator fluid and engine coolant leaking into my transmission. There were also metal shavings mixed in with the fluids. Upon hearing this, I remembered the notice of class action lawsuit that I'd received about my model.

At that time, I was ineligible to participate in the suit due to the mileage on my vehicle (over 100,000) and am also ineligible for any extension of warranty. I called my local Nissan dealership (my very rude, very unhelpful, very uninterested in customer service Nissan dealership) to ask if there had been any further action taken since the initial contact. The gentleman said "no" and I had asked if, due to the increasing frequency of this problem with my model vehicle, Nissan was tracking this repair. He didn't know, and that was fine, but when I asked him if Nissan would only reimburse the (lawsuit and warranty eligible) vehicles with this problem if they had been fixed by a Nissan dealer his response was "Well, you COULD bring it to me if you WANT to." Hmm.

- , Cedar Rapids, IA, USA

Nov 212013

Xterra V6

Found out about the problem and they wanted $2500 to fix. I was pissed because they knew it was a problem and yet did not warn us to prevent the damage. Hubby replaced radiator and did 2 flushes. So far it's okay but occasionally loses power going uphill after coming to a stop. Nissan screwed with us.

When we went to them for help, they were arrogant and demanded that we prove we were long time Nissan owners by providing all the VIN numbers of all the Nissan's that we had. And we had 24 hours to dig them up. We did it and they blew us off for a few days then they told us 'no'. Worst, most arrogant company EVER! I am never buying a Nissan again!

- , Kaneohe, HI, USA

Jan 152014

Xterra Sport V6

I see that there was some relief from nissan if it happened before 100k...but my local mechanic said this is when it usually happens....I was hoping there could be another class action....the Nissan dealer wanted over$6k to fix....

- , Santa Barbara, CA, USA