NHTSA — Electrical System Problems

2002 Pontiac Grand Am (Page 3 of 5) Seal Of Avoid Like The Plague

2002 Pontiac Grand Am electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Pontiac Grand Am:

2002 Pontiac Grand Am Owner Comments (Page 3 of 5)

Nov 022012

Grand Am 4-cyl

In reference to NHTSA action number PE05055 (recall 03V327), turn signal/hazard switch policy, GM was to update the special policy to cover vehicles not covered under recall 03V327, for a no cost replacement. Letters to owners were supposed to go out June 2006. After contacting a local GM/Pontiac dealer, I was told that the multi-function switch/turn signal and hazard switch was not covered under any special policy or recall. However, after researching this issue online it is clear that the hazard switch is not the main problem, it is the multi-function switch. Even if they had replaced a hazard switch it would not have fixed the issue, which is contaminated grease that had bridged the contacts of the multi-function switch. This is a serious safety issue and needs to be addressed immediately by GM/Pontiac.

- Paradis, LA, USA

Nov 222013

Grand Am 6-cyl

My car has a defective ignition switch in which it wont star an I continue to be stranded at the worst possible times. I have done research an found that this is a widespread problem with this particular vehicle an thank GM should be forced to pay people for their lack of effort in fixing the issue.

- York, AL, USA

Jul 012005

Grand Am 6-cyl

Ongoing problems with the security passlock system. Security light comes on and within the next few times starting the vehicle it will not start. Spent a lot of money over the years at GM authorized dealerships attempting to fix the problem. GM mechanics do not know how resolve the problem and they tell you the fix is replacing the ignition lock sensor, have the body control module reprogrammed, etc and they are just guessing and wasting my money. A quick internet search on this problem shows an unbelievable amount of "hits" and so many other vehicle owners are experiencing the same problem. It is frustrating that GM offers no solution to a very common problem that ultimately is a safety issue. This is a safety issue if the vehicle owner cannot start their vehicle and they are stranded in the middle of nowhere, extremely cold weather, a bad neighborhood, etc.

- Northbrook, IL, USA

Oct 202012

Grand Am

My car started to stall out on me as I was crossing a very busy highway. I barely managed to get over to the other end and pull over before the car died completely. The battery light came on as the car stalled out. After trying to restart the car a few times, the key would turn and it would sound like it would try to start the engine, but never enough power to get it going. After having the car sit in idle for half an hour, waiting for a tow truck to get there, the car would make a clicking sound when the key is turned, but it wouldn't start. Also, the security light stays on when the key is turned to "on". so far I have replaced the battery thinking that was the problem, checked all the fuses, fuel pumps, got a new alternator, and new oil pressure sensor. This seems to be a very common problem that has to do with security bypass in Pontiac. GM customer service wasn't at all helpful. I understand they will not do a recall because this common issue is not considered to be a safety issue, but in my case, the car died on me as I was crossing a busy highway, and I could've easily cause an accident. I'm sure my case that involved safety is not an isolated one.

- Black Creek, WI, USA

Jul 212012

Grand Am

As I was driving my girlfriends Pontiac Grand Am 2002 on the high way the car just shut down and the security light came on..... this has been going on for quite a while and I had been able to fool the system into resetting itself by waiting the 10 minutes for it to reset and then it would work but now it doesn't seem to work. I have looked online and it seems like alot of people are having the same problem not only with Grand Am but Impala etc..... what they offer at the dealership is to replace the security system because is faulty which has a cost of $400.

- Orlando, FL, USA

Feb 122009

Grand Am

After having the 2nd catalytic converter in 2 yrs put on the electrical went haywire. The ABS, trac off & service engine lights come & stay on for no apparent reason. I've had it serviced and nobody knows why this is happening. I had the brakes inspected and given a clean bill of health so to speak & yet at random times I have no brakes even after having them inspected by professionals. The car now overheats due to the dex cool I was told to use because it ate thru the cheap gaskets put on by the dealership which they will not cover. The blinkers have a mind of their own and only work during the daylight hours, I've had those checked & new ones installed as well and they still only work in the daytime and finally the plastic window clips on the passenger side(both) break constantly. I've had everything replaced even he engine! this car has cost me over 20,000.

- Mesa, AZ, USA

Jan 072012

Grand Am 6-cyl

In reference to NHTSA action number PE05055 (recall 03V327), turn signal/hazard switch policy, I had my car taken in and looked at for the same problem, and they switch out a multi-function switch. They would not fix it under the recall 03V327. The dealer said that it is the hazard switch that is covered and not the multi-function/turn signal switch. However, after researching this issue online it is clear that the hazard switch is not the main problem, it is the multi-function switch. Even if they had replaced a hazard switch it would not have fixed the issue, which is contaminated grease that had bridged the contacts of the multi-function switch.

- Franklin, TN, USA

Jan 052010

Grand Am 6-cyl

Turn signals operate intermittently. Clicking sound inside car. GM has special issuance for repair. Dealership replaced hazard switch. Problem still exists.

- Aurora, OH, USA

May 312011

Grand Am

The contact owns a 2002 Pontiac Grand Am. The contact stated the security system failed and the vehicle would not start and the security light began flashing when the failure occurred. The contact took the vehicle to a mechanic, but they were unable to determine what caused the failure. The vehicle was not inspected by the dealer. The failure mileage was unknown, but the current mileage was 112,000.

- Tumwater, IA, USA

May 262011

Grand Am

The contact owns a 2002 Pontiac Grand Am. The contact stated the turn signals malfunctioned and began to function sporadically. The contact took the vehicle to the dealer. The dealer confirmed the wiring harness needed to be replaced and replaced it. After the vehicle was repaired, the turn signal malfunctioned again and the vehicle was taken back to the dealer. The dealer stated the multi-switch controller needed to be replaced. The contact stated the failure could cause a crash due to the faulty turn signal. The failure mileage was 150,000.

- Epps , LA, USA

Mar 262011

Grand Am 6-cyl

Sometimes but not always the security light will come on. When you turn the car off, when you go to restart it the car will not turn over. All the lights are fine I had the alternator and battery checked, they were fine. I tried to jump the starter from the battery and that wouldn't work. After loading the car on the trailer and bringing it home I tried to start the car one last time to drive it off the trailer and it started just fine. I shut it off and tried again and it works normal. Approximately one month later I was on my way to close on my house leaving the bank the car wouldn't start. The next day I started looking online about 2002 Grand Am GT wont start and got many results. They say to solve the problem leave the key on acc for 10 min. And the passlock security system will reset. I also read that if you have it replaced that it will still do the same thing. It has since happened to me again all within 3 months and I tried the 10 min. Acc trick and it worked. But that doesn't mean anything to me if I have to drive my child somewhere in an emergency. With that being said I also read reports od peoples cars turning off while driving. This needs to be looked into. I typed 2002 Grand Am GT wont start into yahoo and got 4,740,000 results. I understand its the internet but that's a big problem. So far I have only been a little late for things that can wait, but I do not want to have to wait for 10 minutes when I have to take my wife to the hospital for her to have our baby. Thank you.

- Michigan, MI, USA

Mar 102011

Grand Am

The contact owns a 2002 Pontiac Grand Am GT. The contact stated that the vehicle failed to start and was taken to an authorized dealer where they repaired the ignition switch. The failure recurred approximately four years later. The contact allowed the vehicle to sit idle for fifteen minutes before successfully restarting the vehicle. The dealer advised the contact to bring the vehicle in for diagnostic testing. The vehicle was not repaired and the manufacturer was not informed of the failure. The current mileage was 73,850 and the failure mileage was 44,000.

- Kansas City, MO, USA

Jan 212008

Grand Am

The contact owns a 2002 Pontiac Grand Am. Whenever the key was inserted in the ignition it will start sometimes and another times it will not. The vehicle was taken to the dealer previously and was charged $500 and they replaced the pass lock. About a year later the same failure occurred and the vehicle was taken to mechanic shop who repaired the lock again because the computer did not recognized the key to start the vehicle. All four windows had to be replaced because they would not go down they jammed at all times. The manufacturer was not contacted. The VIN was unavailable. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Collierville, TN, USA

Sep 012010

Grand Am

Blinkers sporadically work. I have read online forums about the same problem in Grand Am 2002, but no recall is issued for my vehicle year. There is one for the 2001 Grand Am, but since mine is a 2002, GM will not fix the problem under the recall. This is a major safety issue, especially at night.

- Pittsburg, CA, USA

Aug 162010

Grand Am

The security light has been going on and off since I bought the car used back at the end of June. I went to go pay a bill shut the car off paid the bill and returned back to the car. I went to put the key in the ignition and the car would not turn on and the security light was blinking. I then had to have it towed to the dealership and they told me that the passlock sensor was at fault and they had to replace the sensor assembly and ignition sensor which ended up costing me almost 600 bucks!

- Gainesville, FL, USA

Jul 132010

Grand Am

I put the key in the ignition and turn it to the start position but it wouldn't start. There is a work around that is detailed in the 2002 Pontiac Grand Am owner's manual on page 2-18 that says "after attempting to start the engine, if the security light flashes or stays on, wait ten minutes with the key in on until the light goes off. Then turn the ignition to off before attempting to start the engine again." I did that and it worked but it shouldn't be necessary. The car should start right away. This is the second time this has happened to me but it isn't an isolated incident. There have been many other people that have had this problem and this website includes comments from other people who have had this problem: this failure has not been corrected yet.

- El Dorado Springs, MO, USA

Jun 012004

Grand Am 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2002 Pontiac Grand Am. The contact stated that the engine on his vehicle, at times, will not start. The owner stated this is a safety issue due to not being able to move his vehicle if needed. The weather or the temperature of the engine makes no difference. The vehicle was taken to a dealer but they cannot diagnose they failure. The failure mileage 19,000. The current mileage was 39,653. Updated 11/03/10. Updated 12/22/10 the consumer stated the problem was the passlock security was defective which caused the vehicle not to start. Updated 12/30/10

- Burton , MI, USA

Aug 212008

Grand Am

The contact owns a 2002 Pontiac Grand Am GT. The contact stated that when the vehicle was parked, the anti-theft system would engage without warrant. The doors would automatically lock and the anti-theft system alarm would engage without warrant. The dealer advised the failure was not a safety issue. The contact had experienced the failure before and the dealer replaced the ignition cylinder and reset the theft system. There were no additional repairs performed on the vehicle. The failure mileage was 60,000 and the current mileage was 85,000.

- Kent, OH, USA

Apr 082010

Grand Am

I have a 2002 Pontiac Grand Am that has a defective turn signal relay, or emergency flasher. Sometimes the signal will work, sometimes not, which is pretty dangerous when driving on the freeway. I have researched this issue on the internet, and see that GM is aware of this problem with their vehicles. I called the 1-800-620-7668 and was told no recalls were on my car. It is a safety hazard.

- Battle Ground, WA, USA

May 012006

Grand Am

2002 Grand Am there has been a short in my multifunction switch for quite some time. That's what the dealership told me it was. When I took it to them and I was aware of the tsb but they said it was not covered because it's not a safety issue. Something linked to that is clicking in the dash. If I depress the hazard button 1/2 way it stops but I can't exactly drive around like that. It's not constant and as far as I can tell the signals are working fine when I use them.

- Grafton, WI, USA