Passlock Problem, Won't Start And Security Light Is Blinking

2003 Pontiac Grand Am (Page 1 of 2)

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Pontiac dealer. Seal Of Avoid Like The Plague

2. replaced ignition (3 reports)
  3. replaced ignition & passlock system (2 reports)
  4. put key into aux postion for five mins until light turns off (1 reports)
2003 Pontiac Grand Am electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Pontiac Grand Am:

2003 Pontiac Grand Am Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Dec 192014

Grand Am 3.2L V6

This has happened several times, and it involves a 5-10 min delay each time before I can start my car. Thankfully it hasn't happened when I was in a dangerous area or on my way to the ER, yet, but should definitely be considered a safety issue. I can't count on my car starting!

- , Mentor, OH, USA

Jun 012010

Grand Am GT V6

This problem has been going on for 4 years. The only thing GM is recalling is the key fob. Get real. This is a definite defect and it really gets tiring after a while. I bought this car new and take care of it well but the security chip is a definite issue. This chip should be on the recall list too. I and many others have the same issue, and I mean many others. Get on the stick GM and fix your car issues like everyone else is.

- , West Yarmouth, MA, USA

Jan 222013

Grand Am SE 3.4L

this car will cost you tons of money in every part of it but the most pain in the ass part is the ignition how the theft system just randomly decides to not work.

- , San Rafael, CA, USA

Feb 082012

Grand Am SE V6

My security light is on and when I go to start my car it wont start. I have to reset it by turning the ignition to on and let it sit 10 mintes this is a ain in the but, because you are late for work sometimes or just get stuck at a gas pump. I will never by anothe pontiac as long as I live. I have had nothing but problems with this car and I bought it brand new.

- , Houma, LA, USA

Jan 152012

Grand Am GT 3.4L V6

There isn't much to tell here.

The car waited for instances in which I was running behind for things like church and school to act up. I tried to start the car one Sunday morning and nothing happened - except for that pesky Security light. I reset the system and everything was fine. Unfortunately, it happened three more times over the course of a few short months - instances during which I was late for school.

- , Johnston City, IL, USA

Jul 132011

Grand Am V6

When the security light comes on the car will not crank. You have to wait ten minutes then turn the ignition of. Then crank up the car and it will come on. My neighbor has a car like mine and it does the same thing. I didn't know what was wrong with it until he told me what to do. I had a mechanic come to my job and he didn't know. I was getting ready to have it pulled into a shop when my neighbor came to my job and showed me what to do.

- , Blue Springs, MS, USA

Aug 082011

Grand Am V6

It is such a pain! Every time I get in my car to start it, don't know if it will! Have to always give myself ten extra minutes in case it doesn't! That's how long it takes to reboot and reset computer in car! WHAT A LEMON I GOT!

- , Lima, NY, USA

Dec 122010

Grand Am GT 3.4L

Today its about 500 degrees below zero, give or take a few degrees, I partially dig my car out of the snow, get in and try to start it and... nothing. Not a single sound, no starter, nothing but its normal dinging. My "security" light is flashing but aside from that the temperature is the only difference. I tried the 10 min reset thing and it worked, but I worry it will occur again. I love GM cars, but they all seem to crap out just after warranty and GM disregards all problems. I've has the infamous lower intake gasket leak, bulbs going out, Window motors craping out, ect. and now i can add this to my list of problems everyone else has as well.

- , Collinsville, IL, USA

Jun 232010

Grand Am

After the storm last night my security light in my 2003 grand am started flashing,now today it is still flashing but won't start!

- , Guelph, ON, Canada

May 012010

Grand Am GL 4 cyl

I bought this car for my grandson and twice in the last year it left him sit out of town and it had to be towed to a garage and the only thing they can find wrong is the security lock system is bad and the car won't start.Well after 2 repair bills it is still doing the same thing.I am a grandmother and I am the one who gets stuck with the bill.This is not right that this car and its problem doesn't have a recall.

- , S.Williamsport, PA, USA

Jun 032010

Grand Am LS

I SWEAR the next time the stupid car starts its going to have an unfortunate accident with a tree. I am going to kill my car. these damn security thing had happened twice in the past week, and it seems always when i am running late for work, or trying to come home from grocery shopping with frozen foods in the trunk. I haven't looked through all the other complaints yet, but i am hoping that once i get the car started ( by leaving the keys in it at on for 20 min) if it starts, that the mechanic can take out the security system or do something i am getting really tired of ths crap!

- , Ottawa, ON, Canada

Mar 262010

Grand Am LS

the first time this whole security light thing happened was back in march, the solution then was that somehow the computer in the car had been wiped so they had to reload it. essentially my freaking car forgot how to start.

- , Ottawa, ON, Canada

May 122010

Grand Am 3.4L V6

Well, add my car to the list of those which decided to just "Quit". When my son took the car fishing, it just refused to start at the end of the day. It had been running fine, not a bit of problem.

When I went to pick him up, we tried to start it again, to no avail. We checked all the fuses we could, and found nothing. We never even seen any "security" light on the dash flashing, not that I would have thought anything about it. So we towed it home and let it set (being unemployed, with another vehicle, it wasn't high on my priority list).

After about two weeks my other son wanted to borrow the car, but I told him we would have to look at it. I was thinking either a fuel filter, or fuel pump.

I don't know how he knew, but by the time I got home he had found the problem, reset it, and had the car running.

If I have another problem with it, I will let everyone know, otherwise, I will chalk this up to a computer glitch I guess.

- , Argos, IN, USA

May 272005

Grand Am SE2 3.4L V6

i have a 2003 pontiac grand am se2 love the car but it really bites me when i go out to go somewhere and it won't start and the security light is blinking have to wait 10 minutes for it to reset itself and then it will start call gm and they can't help you what good are they anyway, if my security licht is on then it will start, i am getting so frustrated and sick and tired of this sh*t.

- , Mcclure, PA, USA

Feb 212008

Grand Am 2.2L

This thing shuts my car off at the worst times! Yes I do know that you can reset it in like 10 mins but when you're trying to get gas or an oil change it is outright embarrassing! THEN it has killed my battery on top of that! When however the security light stays on and doesn't go off, it means, I'm guessing its not working because it doesn't shut off when the light is staying on and not going off! Is there any way of deactivating this damn thing????

- , Panama City, FL, USA

Sep 032009

Grand Am

I have been having problem with my 2003 Pontiac Grand Am for over 3 years, never occurred to me to get on the internet to check to see if anyone else was having the same problem as I. I had my mechanic to look at veh and he never came back. I called and called. So i decide to look on internet to so I could determined what was wrong with my car. I never knew so many people was having the same problem as I with the car won't start. My mechanic has fix my car 2 times and I guess he said the third time the hell with it. now I am stuck. I will never ever buy another Pontiac. The security system in car is a piece of cramp. Yes GM need to recall all these veh Now this morning I am getting and going to my car to try and start it on my own. I read if I wait 10 minute of so after the security light stop blinking I might can get it crank. Wish me luck, because I am unemployed at this time and don't have much money, so I can't buy a new car.

- , Charlotte, NC, USA

Aug 282009

Grand Am

This is such a PITA!! I have a busy life and I have no time to worry about if my car is gonna start or not. If it doesn't, trying to reset the system or wait for a tow just can't keep happening. I have read sooo many message boards about this problem and there doesn't seem to be a cheap or easy fix. Grrrrrr!

- , Chicopee, MA, USA

Aug 042009

Grand Am GT 3.4L

Several times we have had problems starting my wife's 2003 Pontiac Grand AM GT. You would think a car that averages less than 3,500 miles a year and meticulously maintained would be trouble free. As I have seen reported by over 400 others on this site I am also having difficulty starting this car, either the Security or the Check Engine light will flash but the car won't start.

As others have also mentioned sometimes it will start if you wait 10 or more minutes but sometimes it won't. I had the Ignition changed by a GM Dealer for $508 and now am concerned that this may not be fixed because others have done the same only to have the problem return.

I contacted GM at 866-790-5700, reported this problem and was given a case number. I suggest others do the same this is the only way to get this addressed! Today I was told that if the problem does return, and I call again with my case number, they will do whatever they can to resolve this. It is under investigation and if it is determined to be a safety issue there will be a recall.

To make this happen please report it to as well. It's great to have this site to vent in but we need to have the auto manufactures held accountable for these problems!

- , North Andover, MA, USA

Dec 222007

Grand Am ES

I see that the pass-lock issue is not just on the Pontiac Grand Am. What a pita. We have had the car towed to the dealership a couple of times. Replaced fuses, ignition, etc. I'm fed up. Need a permanent fix that doesn't cost thousands!!!!!!

- , Huntersville, NC, USA

Apr 162008

Grand Am

I bought my 03 Grand Am in Oct 07 and had a remote start/remote keyless entry installed in November. No problems till March 08 when the security light came on a few times. By April, car would not turn over and had to have it towed. After 2 weeks of checking and replacing parts, the problem still exists - in a way. Starting the car with the key shows no problems, but starting with the remote start activates the security light. Once I had a no start that was corrected by the "10 min" reset with the original key. GM says its the fault of the remote start (professionally installed) and the remote start people say they cannot find any problems at all. Still trying to get to the bottom of it all.

- , Catonsville, MD, USA