NHTSA — Electrical System Problems

2004 Pontiac Grand Am (Page 2 of 5)

CarComplaints.com Seal Of This Might Hurt

2004 Pontiac Grand Am electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Pontiac Grand Am:

2004 Pontiac Grand Am Owner Comments (Page 2 of 5)

Dec 312014

Grand Am 6-cyl

Driving my 2004 Pontiac Grand Am home form grocery shopping and tried to get into left hand turn only lane, but car wouldn`T slow down and I didn`T want to rear end the person ahead as there was a lot of traffic that day so I veered to the right to get into a parking lot to pull my emergency brakes, but was broad sided. I have over $2,300 worth of damage to my car and my mechanic said it is the ignition switch on the 2004 Pontiac Grand Am, and there should have been a full replacement of that when the recall was done regarding the ignition. All that was done for me was a plastic insert was adhered to my ignition key. GM needs to recall these cars and replace the ignition switches. They also owe me a lot in repairs done to my car.

- Fulton, NY, USA

Feb 272015

Grand Am

I had my ignition lock cylinder tumblers replaced by a lock smith because key kept sticking and now my car does nothing when I go to start it with key. It starts w/ remote start but odometer hand and etc go side to side really fast. My head lights, heater and dash lights don't work. Security light is not on. The key will turn the car off when I use remote starter. Car turned off while driving twice before and after tumbler replacement.

- Saginaw, MI, USA

Oct 012014

Grand Am 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2004 Pontiac Grand Am. While the vehicle was idling, the driver's knee came in contact with the key and the vehicle stalled. The driver was able to restart the vehicle. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 14V400000 (electrical system); however, the part needed to repair the vehicle was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 52,000. Updated 4/15/15

- Towson, MD, USA

Apr 152014

Grand Am 4-cyl

2004 Pontiac Grand Am. Car failed to start when the key would not turn in the ignition lock cylinder. The ignition lock cylinder was replaced. The consumer is seeking reimbursement, due to the recall.

- Naperville, IL, USA

Jan 012015

Grand Am 6-cyl

GM reimbursement for consumers out-of-pocket repair expenses incurred prior to the GM recall. Consumer sent additional correspondence. The consumer was informed he would not receive reimbursement, because the known defect and correction was not apparent in the repair invoice. The consumer stated on three separate occasions he and his wife experienced loss of engine power resulting in the vehicle being towed. The ignition switch was replaced. The consumer is requesting reimbursement. Updated 02/05/15

- Sun City West, AZ, USA

Apr 012013

Grand Am 6-cyl

2004 Pontiac Grand Am. Problems with car key ignition and starting up. The consumer stated she was only able to drive the vehicle for a mile, before it completely shut off. The repair shop replaced the ignition lock cylinder.

- Somerset, PA, USA

Dec 192014

Grand Am 6-cyl

Owner of the 2004 Pontiac was leaving work and just cut off while in run position.

- Winston Salem, NC, USA

Oct 142014

Grand Am 6-cyl

First I want to inform you that your website does not work correctly with internet Explorer. I tried to file a complaint and the affected parts : section would not work. I'm using safari and the affected parts: Section works. GM recall 14350 / NHTSA 14V400 should be amended to have GM proved two cut keys with two key rings and the inserts listed on the recall. I was a GM service manager and tech for over 17 years and know how the recall system works. The problem with the recall is: 1: vehicles over 10 years have had the ignition lock cylinder replaced. 2: aftermarket replacement keys are not the same design as the oem keys to allow the inserts and are flat metal. 3: the recall uses a insert in the cut slot that does not work in aftermarket keys. On 10/14 /2014, I went to my local GM dealership to have the recall done. The service advisor informed me that the recall could not be done with the aftermarket key. Do I need to have the dealership cut me two keys at a cost of $30. I can get a replacement key cut at ace hardware or wal mart for $2. aftermarket ignition lock cylinder replacement kits include a flat metal key. Please contact GM on the number of completed recall 14350 / NHTSA 14V400. The large number of uncompleted recalls is due to the contents of my letter. Thank you

- Miami, OK, USA

Aug 292014

Grand Am

The contact owns a 2004 Pontiac Grand Am. The contact stated that the ignition switch failed and the contact experienced extreme difficulty turning the key in the ignition. The failure progressed for months and the contact later received a notification for NHTSA campaign number: 14V400000 (electrical system). The remedy for the recall repair failed to repair the vehicle. The dealer was unable to inspect or diagnose the failure with the ignition switch. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer provided no remedy for the contact other than to get the vehicle diagnosed and repaired by an authorized dealer. The approximate failure mileage was 83,000.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Aug 152014

Grand Am

The contact owns a 2004 Pontiac Grand Am. When the contact inserted the key into the ignition switch, the key could not be turned. In addition, the driver and passenger side air bags deployed inadvertently. The dealer was unable to diagnose the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Ryan, IA, USA

Oct 312014

Grand Am

The contact owns a 2004 Pontiac Grand Am. The contact indicated that the vehicle stalled. The failure recurred several times but the vehicle was able to be restarted. The contact received a notification for NHTSA campaign number: 14V400000 (electrical system). The vehicle was taken to the dealer but, after waiting for longer than three hours, the contact was notified that the part was not available. The dealer did not provide a specific date for when the part would become available. The manufacturer was notified of the delay. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Central Square, NY, USA

Oct 162014

Grand Am

The contact owns a 2004 Pontiac Grand Am. The contact stated that the vehicle failed to start as the anti-theft and the air bag warning lights illuminated. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 63,130. Djr

- Scottsboro, AL, USA

Jun 062014

Grand Am 6-cyl

After turning car off for 3 minutes, key would not turn in the ignition. On June 11th I took it to a mechanic. He said that weight of keys was the likely culprit in damaging tumblers inside ignition switch. It cost $369.20 to replace ignition lock cylinder. All I had on my key ring was car key, fob, and house key, which is all I have ever had on any key ring for any car I've owned and I've never had this kind of problem with any other make/model of car. Recall # 14350 will change out the key stating that "if the key ring is carrying added weight and the vehicle...experiences some other jarring even, it may unintentionally move the key away from the 'run' position." This sort of "jarring event" messes with the tumblers, which is what happened with my car over time. Changing the keys should help to prevent the key from damaging the tumblers thus causing it to move from the 'run' position but if the factory key holds "too much" weight causing damage to the tumblers, this damage, in my opinion, should be addressed by GM as well!

- Beaver Dam, WI, USA

Oct 302014

Grand Am

The contact owns a 2004 Pontiac Grand Am. While traveling approximately 20 mph, the vehicle struck a bump in the road and intermittently shut off. The contact indicated that there was a noise coming from the front of the vehicle and to avoid a crash into on coming traffic, the contact swerved to the right. The tires went flat and the contact crashed into a curb. The air bag deployed directly in the contact's face and the vehicle coasted due to the intermittent failure. The residue from the driver side air bag was consuming the vehicle so the contact and the passenger exited the vehicle. The contact sustained injuries to the face, neck and back. The passenger did not sustain any injuries. The driver and the passenger did not receive medical attention. A police report was not filed. The vehicle was towed to an authorized dealer for further inspection and repair. The contact also received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 14V400000 (electrical system) a few days after the failure and was waiting for the dealer to schedule the recall repair along with the repairs from the failure that occurred. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 140,000.

- South Saint Paul, MN, USA

Nov 042013

Grand Am

I had all issues service, the vehicle continues to have electrical issue burning out fuses car wont start. There is no check engine to indicate cause if faulty fuse. Took the car to several mechanic no one can solve the issue car wont start.

- Allentown, PA, USA

Oct 012013

Grand Am

The contact owns a 2004 Pontiac Grand Am. While driving various speeds, all the warning indicators illuminated on the instrument panel and the steering wheel began to smoke. The instrument panel gauges failed to work. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 125,000.

- Springhill , TN, USA

Sep 172014

Grand Am

The contact owns a 2004 Pontiac Grand Am. The contact received NHTSA campaign 14V400000 (electrical system). The contact stated that the recall remedy was not a permanent fix. The manufacturer was notified of the issue. The contact did not experience a failure.

- Muncie, IN, USA

Sep 112014

Grand Am

The contact owns a 2004 Pontiac Grand Am. The contact received a recall notice for NHTSA campaign number: 14V400000 (electrical system); however, the part needed to repair the vehicle was unavailable. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- St. Louis, MO, USA

Aug 192014

Grand Am

During traffic my 2004 Pontiac Grand Am just shut itself off! moments before I did hit a pothole. Suddenly, the lights in dash illuminated, bells sounded, and my key independently moved from the on position to off. I lost power steering, brakes. The car slowed to a stop. I called 911 in desperate fear of being hit.-car wouldn't restart, key wouldn't come out of ignition. I became angered and pounded on the ignition area and near the radio. The car then was able to respond and turn on. I learned that my car had been recalled in July, but there is no remedy on how to fix it. I was towed to the dealer. Mechanic, at dealer, said no codes came up to indicate a problem. He said though I had some miles on my car, the car was in terrific condition and didn't appear to be this old. I told him that I have been impeccable with my car. The service manager told me they aren't going to do anything because there is no remedy. However, the service manager said my car is not safe. I was never so scared in my life. All I could think about was my children. My life was endangered as there was no way to make my care indicate there was a problem- flashers weren't responding. On May 23, 2014, I hit a pot hole pretty hard while entering a parking lot (I was going slow), my car shut off and on in moments, lost power steering momentarily. The key was stuck between on and off, not coming out of the ignition. I was towed to the dealer, they replaced the ignition. According to my paperwork and repair by the dealer, GM has advised me that my car in involved with a recall and I should seek reimbursement for the ignition switch I had repaired.

- Shirley, NY, USA

Jul 252014

Grand Am

The contact owns a 2004 Pontiac Grand Am. The contact stated that while driving approximately 35 mph, the ignition made a clicking sound and started to smoke. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 150,000.

- Vandalia, IL, USA