NHTSA — Electrical System Problems

2004 Pontiac Grand Am (Page 3 of 5)

CarComplaints.com Seal Of This Might Hurt

2004 Pontiac Grand Am electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Pontiac Grand Am:

2004 Pontiac Grand Am Owner Comments (Page 3 of 5)

Jun 062014

Grand Am 6-cyl

Report receipt date: July 03, 2014 NHTSA campaign number: 14V400000 component(s): Electrical system potential number of units affected: 6,729,742 key wouldn't turn in ignition. On June 10, 2014, I got the key to turn on and start the car but it would not turn all the off. I had to disconnect the battery when the car was parked. On July 11, 2014 I took the car to fischbach tires 1200 N spring St, beaver dam, wi 53916 (920) 887-3711 to fix the problem. They replaced the ignition switch and gave me two new keys and I was charged $369.20. Can I be reimbursed for this charge since it is part of this recall and if so, how do I go about it?

- Beaver Dam, WI, USA

Jan 062014

Grand Am 6-cyl

My concern is about my future safety in my Pontiac Grand Am. Since these recalls have been going out I have checked to see if this car will be on the list. I have had to replace my ignition three times last replacement was in 2011, I was lucky that when the replacements took place my car had failed to start and I wasn't driving, however in Jan of 2014 when driving during a snow storm trying to get home, my car hit an ice patch and slide into a guard rail. The impact was so hard that it damaged and bent my left side bumper, breaking the headlight to pieces. To replace the headlight the bumper required to be pulled out and straighten. My air bag did not deploy on impact, even though I hit my head on the headliner, and there was major damage to the car. I live in the mountains of va, how fast was the car going, I am not sure but I can guess impact was about 20/25 mph. Even though the police did come (only because they witness the incident) no police report was filed, I have been looking for this car to be recalled and sure enough its on the list as of July 3 2014. I have not received a letter on the recall, nor does it show up on the cars VIN. The roads in my location are mountain roads with curve after curve and up and downs, although the speed limits are reduced in order to drive safely, my worry is that if I lose control of my car because the electrical system, I will be going down the side of some mountain. I called my local dealer for help, and was told because the recall was not on the VIN# they will not help me. I already know my air bags do not work, I already know I have had ignition problems, so if the ignition stops working, this is an accident waiting to happen. I don't understand if this car make and model is on the NHTSA list why can't I get it fixed?

- Swords Creek, VA, USA

Jun 022014

Grand Am

On several occasions the ignition switch failed to turn, which locked up the steering column, many times the key would not release from the ignition switch, therefore it would not turn off.

- Memphis, TN, USA

Mar 012012

Grand Am 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2004 Pontiac Grand Am. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, the vehicle stalled without warning. The contact indicated that after restarting the engine, the vehicle resumed normal function. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The technician diagnosed that the ignition cylinder lock was faulty. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the defect. The failure mileage was 60,230. Updated 8/29/2014

- Chicago, IL, USA

Jul 142011

Grand Am

We own a 2004 Pontiac Grand Am. Wondering why it is not included in the GM recall. We have had 3 separate incidents while driving where we lost power and the car was hard to control due to loss of power steering and brakes. My 17 year old son was driving and lucky for us he was in the neighborhood going extremely slow or it could have killed him if he was on a highway going at a higher rate of speed. Doing an internet search turns up hundreds of people having the same problem with their Grand Am. Could you please explain why this vehicle is not also being recalled. Thanks.

- Canton, OH, USA

May 042009

Grand Am 6-cyl

The car has approximately 34,000 miles. Twice I had to install a new ignition switch, most recently Sept. 2013. Both times the car would not start and had to be towed. Last ignition installed 10/28/2013, mileage 32936

- Valley Cottage, NY, USA

Feb 162013

Grand Am 4-cyl

My vehicle's turn signals quit working properly last year, sometimes they would work, sometimes not, I spent $200 out of pocket to fix the issue, there is now a ticking noise in the same area and I'm reading online there should be a recall because 100's are having the same issue. The ticking noise makes my car not only unbearable to drive/ ride in but makes me uncertain whether my turn signal is on or not. I'm constantly distracted by driving to check my turn signals and this is a safety issue. GM's website was not helpful.

- Houston, TX, USA

Sep 112011

Grand Am 6-cyl

I filed a safety report on 9/11/2013 confirmation # 10543131 and I have not heard from NHTSA at all since filing the report. Please advise me of the report status. Turn signals work intermittently.

- Sun City West, AZ, USA

Mar 202014

Grand Am

The contact owns a 2004 Pontiac Grand Am. The contact stated that while traveling various speeds, the vehicle suddenly stalled. The vehicle was taken to a private mechanic where it was found that the ignition switch needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was not contacted about the failure. The failure mileage and VIN was not available.

- Kempner, TX, USA

Mar 032012

Grand Am

Ignition switch failed. As I was driving down the interstate, the car turned off, and I had to fight to get the car safely to the side of the road without power steering. Luckily I was able to and no one was hurt, and no damage occurred to any car. The car would not start again and it had to be towed. The ignition switch had to be replaced.

- Altoona, WI, USA

Jul 252013

Grand Am 6-cyl

This problem is been happening for a few months and I have taken my Pontiac Grand Am 2004 to different mechanics with not luck..one day driving to work early morning my car sitting for 8hrs didn't want to crank or start...battery was dead so I replace it...my car start but after driving for 15 min while driving engine shut off. Mechanics have check and changed fuel pump and filter, water pump, crank shaft sensor, temperature sensor, sensor behind alternator, fuel pressure check and regulator is new, thermostat change.I have spend hundreds of dollar between parts and labor.I was really happy with this vehicle but the quality of american cars is something to consider before buying one.if there is any fix known in this site I need to know, I have a family and don't want to loose it in a highway in a accident.

- Clermont, FL, USA

Aug 152011

Grand Am 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2004 Pontiac Grand Am. The contact stated that the vehicle failed to start because pass lock system activated independently. The contact was able to start the vehicle after approximately ten minutes. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 35,000.

- Des Moines, IA, USA

Sep 062012

Grand Am

Car did not start, security light flashing. Called mobile mechanic, he had no clue, cost $85. Decided not to tow the vehicle to dealer as recommended by user manual. Did my own research online, wow, a lot of people with the same issue! used 10-minute fix seen online, which worked. This happened approx. 1xweek almost every wk., keep using 10-minute fix. 6 months later, while making a right turn in a parking garage, the engine stopped dead, the security light flashed - I almost hit another car as the steering went out. Afraid this will happen again on the road. Still having pass lock issues about once weekly, scary not knowing when it will occur or where. I cannot afford $1,000+ to get this 'fixed' (no guarantee I'm told); this is a product defect and should be recalled before someone gets hurt, whether by being stranded in a dangerous situation (night, weather, location) or in an accident while driving. Just because the car hasn't burst into flames doesn't mean this isn't dangerous.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Jun 152013

Grand Am

On my way to work security light came on and car shut off in the middle of the highway and I had to coast to the side of the road. Tried to start car and the security light was flashing and car would not start. Had to put the key in the on position for 10 minutes before car would start. I was really lucky no one was on the road since I work at night and the road was deserted. This is the third time this has happened in two months and it is getting frustrating because one day the car will start fine then the next it won't start at all and I have to wait 10 minutes.I called the dealer and it will cost almost $700 to fix. There really needs to be a recall on this before someone is seriously injured or dies.

- Jackson, GA, USA

Oct 142011

Grand Am 4-cyl

Car randomly will not start. Passlock system if flawed, with time the electrical terminals/connections start failing and causes system to think you are trying to hotwire the car and it engages security override. Sometimes comes on while you are driving and you must pull over and turn your car off or else it will stop while you are driving. You must put in the key turn to the on position for 15min then start car, that doesn't always work either. Passlock system is bad and apparently from research the issue runs across the board for GM vehicles from this time frame.

- High Ridge, MO, USA

Nov 012012

Grand Am 4-cyl

There is an intermittent click from the turn signal, even when I am not operating the turn signal. It may click many times in a row, especially right after I have used the turn signal to either direction. The turn signal light is not flashing nor is the indicator flashing. However the signal indicator noise just continues. The problem is becoming worse with time.

- High Ridge, MO, USA

Jun 262013

Grand Am 6-cyl

Car just will not start after the security light came on.. I stop at the grocery store, came back and the car would not start. A guy give me a booster but nothing happened. I had the car towed. This is the 5th times I could not start my car. The security light comes on and the car would not start. My mechanic started it up but it doesn't work for me. The pass lock system is bad. General motor knew of the issue but they never issued a recall on it. I am sick of towing and getting struck in a parking lot in cleveland. This car has a security system on the key or ignition. I need help very bad. I am 61 years old and can not afford to repair my car. I called GM customer services to get help in starting my vehicle. They tried to help by telling me the procedures to follow to get it start. It still will not started. This last time, my mechanic told me to take it to the dealer for service on the security system. Do not tow it to his shop. This seems costly!

- Euclid, OH, USA

Mar 082013

Grand Am 6-cyl

Car randomally will not start. Looked up online this is a huge issue with Grand Am, you must put in the key turn to the on position for 15min then start car, that doesn't always work either. Passlock system is bad. Chevy knew of the issue but they there is no recall on it.

- Independence, MO, USA

Jun 142006

Grand Am

Vehicle won't start. It doesn't happen every day, just when I'm in a hurry or late for appointment. Called dealership. Funny this is, they knew exactly what to do! turn the key to the on position and wait 10 minutes. It always starts....for now! I don't understand why GM hasn't recalled this. Also, the dash is warped and putting pressure on windshield. I'll never own another GM vehicle.

- Flemingsburg, KY, USA

Mar 042013

Grand Am

There is an intermittent click from the turn signal, even when I am not operating the turn signal. It may click many times in a row, especially right after I have used the turn signal to either direction. I am not sure at this time if the light is also flashing with the noise, but the indicator on the dash does not flash. The problem is becoming worse with time.

- Lexington, KY, USA