7.2

2. release under steering column up a channel. (10 reports)
  3. put it in park until i hear the ignition unlock (4 reports)
  4. replace switch behind ignition (3 reports)
  5. automatic shifter pushed up to far (2 reports)
  6. depressed button (2 reports)
2002 Pontiac Grand Prix accessories - interior problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Pontiac Grand Prix:

2002 Pontiac Grand Prix Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Mar 042013

Grand Prix GT

I guess I have been lucky because I never had this problem until recently and, as you can see, I am approaching 140,000 miles on the car. I am the sole owner of this car and have had it since August 2001 when I picked it up from Kemper Pontiac brand spanking new!

I am most grateful for the workarounds that the previous 49 complaints have given me and will try a number of them. I have been mostly groping in the dark, not sure what to do. Today was the first day that I had the problem each and every time I turned off the ignition. Tomorrow I will look for that round plastic cover and try to find the release button some of you have mentioned.

- , Piscataway, NJ, USA

Jun 012011

Grand Prix GTP V6

General Motors should recall all these cars with the ignition key stuck problem, there are thousands of them.

- , Portage la Prairie, M.B, canada

Jun 282011

Grand Prix 3800

The car will not turn on. no matter what I do. I had my brother come over and look at it, he doesn't know either! What do I do?????? My key goes in but it doesn't turn like its stuck! How do I fix this?

- , Prescott, AZ, USA

Jan 252011

Grand Prix GT 3.8L

my key is stuck in ignition took it to get fixed was told the tumblers that are used for the GM are good for weqaring out. Another fine design by GM this car is now an on going problem with things going out and not working

- , New Prauge, MN, USA

Jan 302010

Grand Prix LS 3.1L V6

Ok, so the first time this happened 3 or 4 years ago, the dealership replaced the switch behind the ignition and it cost me $100 deductible under my extended warranty that I bought in 2004 when I bought the Grand Prix. A couple years down the road, when the warrant had already expired, the key got stuck again. This time I searched the internet and found out that there was indeed a real ease button under the steering column, but was only accessible to push with your finger when you tilted the steering column all the way up as far as it could go. My wife and I just got used to the procedure and continued to do that for almost a year before I finally decided to do something about it. I removed the steering column cover and exposed the switch. I then took 2 zip ties with a very small piece of card board , laid the cardboard over the button and crisscrossed the 2 zip ties around and over the cardboard and tied it tight. This has since kept the button compressed, and eliminating my problem for good. Car is up for sale....went with a ford this time...thought I would never say that, but things have changed.

- , Odessa, TX, USA

Jun 082005

Grand Prix GT 3.8L V6

Posting this as I saw so many people having the same problem on this model. Same thing, key stuck in ignition unless I played with the gear shift or used the key release button. Took into a mechanic as was a pain. Issue was a sensor wire on the gear shift under the car had become frayed. Mechanic replaced the wire and have had no issues since, originally when fixed thought was a design flaw. It's been over five years, cheap parts used is my conclusion at this point.

- , Estherville, IA, USA

Mar 122010

Grand Prix

I have had the same problem as everyone else key getting stuck I unhooked the battery for 5 min to reset computer seem to work fine for a good six months now the ignition won't turn to the off position so I use a screwdriver in the whole underneath the steering wheel and the car won't go into any gear so I use the screwdriver to release the shifter I will let you know what ever I find out from that or if anyone has a solution please let me know

- , Gr, MI, USA

Aug 242008

Grand Prix

Like everyone else, my key gets stuck in the ignition too. Usually happens a couple times a week. When this happens I usually just turn the car back on and put the car in drive or reverse and then back to park and usually i hear the click noise and the key comes out. this isn't the only problem with my car either. when driving in heavy traffic sometimes the car heats up to 210ish and there is always plenty of coolant. about 8 months ago the service engine soon light came on, so i took it to two different places and they both said nothing is wrong with the car and finally last month and light just turned off by itself.

- , Elk Point, South Dakota, USA

May 102010

Grand Prix GT

I have owned my '02 GP since new and the first time I noticed this problem was 3 years ago in '07. I mistakenly took it to my local Pontiac dealership and they fixed it(so I thought) in a day. They claimed it was two bad wires in the module but I knew better. This car has had issues with it since 2005 and has been a major pain in the butt since then. I did not see a repeat of this problem until late 2009 when it started happening again. I took it back to the dealership and asked how long their work was guaranteed for and they claimed a few months. I told them their product stunk and would never buy another one again as long as I lived and wrote a letter to Pontiac(for which I never received a reply) stating that if they did not satisfy me on this problem that I would spread the word as long as I could that the Pontiac brand could not be trusted and to stay away from it. I should have learned from my fathers mistakes when he purchased a new Fiero back in '85 and a Bonneville in '90. Both were trouble from the get go and stupid old me took Consumer Reports at their word that the '02 was a good buy and highly rated and reliable.

I have so far sunk more than $3,000 into this car for unnecessary repairs for defective equipment(some made in Mexico) since the warranty ran out in '06. I still have the battle with the ignition which I win every time, every day with my trusty old pen to release the button. I have a 1990 Chevy Suburban that has run like a top and twice the mileage on it than this Grand Prix does and haven't put more than $400 into it in 5 years for oil changes and brakes. This is the reason why Pontiac went out of business. They sold bad cars and couldn't stand by them. Shame it had to happen after all they put out 40 years ago when they were in their heyday.

- , Detroit, MI, USA

Mar 122010

Grand Prix SE 3.1L

well as I can see the key being stuck in the ignition is a common problem, but I am not sure about the shifting problem, had to push in the shift release button to be able to come home today. I just bought my car not even a month ago, and I wish I would have seen this website first. WHY DONT THEY DO A RECALL ON THESE CARS?

- , Oak Grove, KY, USA

Nov 102008

Grand Prix GTP 3.8L Sc V6

Like everyone else the key kept getting stuck, I would work the shifter to get it out and beat the steering column to get it out, at this point I keep a screwdriver ti hit the release, I think I'm going to glue something in the release slot so it doesn't take me an extra 15-60 seconds to get out of the car and explain to everyone that I drive a POS after I get out.

- , Bristol, VA, USA

Nov 032009

Grand Prix SE 3.1L

Well, this being a Pontiac kind of surprised me that I would run into stupid little problems like this but me being a mechanic I always have some tools in the car, so when it happens I just push the button under the ignition with a drill bit that I keep In the small console in front of the shifter. That way I always have the "key" for getting my key out.

- , Lloydminster, Alberta, Canada

Jun 012008

Grand Prix SE 3.2L

My key gets stuck in the ignition almost everyday I have to wait 30 sec to a couple minutes to get the key out. I also have several other little problems. I will never buy a Pontiac again never had so many issues before even out of my much older cars with more miles. My Dad just told me that is a GM for ya. Some of my other problems are: gas gauge is broken drivers side door doesn't always unlock with key I had to replace both head gaskets had water in car on floor water is in headlights all the time ABS needs fixed

If you are thinking of buying a Pontiac DON'T unless you like to spend money on repairs! windshield washer fluid will not work

- , Pekin, IL, USA

Aug 262009

Grand Prix GT 3.8L V6

I'm having the same issue as everyone else with the key getting stuck in the ignition, I just wanted to add another complaint. :)

- , Defiance, OH, USA

Jun 262009

Grand Prix GT 3.8L V6

I called around asking what the problem was and how much it would be to fix it. No one could even promise me that it could be fixed and the dealership wanted $500 bucks just to try!! I looked it up on here and found the release button with a screw driver. Then I took the part that is supposed to hit the button and added a wall plug onto it so it is now longer and stronger and is able to push the button fully in. I replaced it back into the hole and haven't had anymore problems getting my key out.

- , Guelph, Ontario, Canada

Sep 032009

Grand Prix GT

I just purchased this car and within one week I am ready to scream. I am so upset at this problem and it is more than annoying. You are late for work, doctors appointments and I do not feel the need to beat up on the stick shift trying to get the key out by shifting gears. I also do not understand for insurance purposes why PONTIAC has not admitted they have a huge safety issue and have a recall. I am not finished letting people know of this issue plus with Facebook now in everyone's homes, I will get the word out that GM is not standing behind their customers. I also do NOT think any consumer should be on the internet looking for a quick fix to this malfunction !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GM, think about it, If I have to take one of my children to emergency and cannot get my vehicle safely parked, and there is an accident of any form because of it, there will be a lawsuit.

- , Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Jan 312009

Grand Prix GTP 3.6L

Same problem with key not releasing. Dealer tried to fix and indicated there were a couple of broken wires. Reoccurred almost immediately. Carry small, rigid plastic wire that I push into the hole in steering column. Key always releases. Will try again to have fixed at dealer, preferably at no cost. Agree there should be a recall.

- , Edmonton, AB, Canada

Jun 052009

Grand Prix SE 3.1L V6

Given what I have seen on this board, now I believe this is a very common problem and I agree that Pontiac has to take the responsibility to recall the car.

This problem has been occurring MOST OF times for about a year. Every time I have to be in the car to play with steer, wheel to get the key out. And every time I have to tell different people why I have to stay in the car and let them wait outside. And of course I will complain about Pontiac cars quality problems to them. Pontiac can forget about spending tons of dollars on TV advertising because owners like me are surely telling a different stories about the car.

- , Maple Shade, NJ, Belize

Oct 012008

Grand Prix SE 3.1L V6

It is time for a recall. This is ridiculous. The day my key got caught in the ignition, I was returning from my lunch break. I could not get the key out. I had to leave my key in the ignition. I didn't know what to do. I was at a urban hospital on Colfax in Aurora, CO (meaning, you don't leave your key in the car in this area). I went inside and desperately searched the internet for a solution. If it weren't for the fact that this was happening to SO MANY of us, I wouldn't have known how to get the key out.

They need to recall this part. They need to look at the web, and the numerous sites and postings regarding this problem. I dare anyone to identify another car with such a problem, especially one that's occurring to so many of us.

- , Aurora, CO, USA

Dec 232008

Grand Prix SE 3.1L

key ignition will not come all the back when put in park, there for can not take key out.

seems like a common problem with this car . but I have a quick fix.

lift steering will all the way up and you will see a little round cap underneath ignition. Prey the cap out with screw driver. In the hole you will see a button this button needs to be pushed, this will allow the key to come all the way back. What I did was stick a depress foam ear plug up the hole, ear plug expands pushes button .This worked great!

put cap back on and all set. better then spending 300-400 dollars to get it replaced.

- , mukwonago, WI, USA