Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2009 Camry used to be adorned with our “Seal of Pretty Good” but that was before an alarming number of complaints started rolling in for excessive oil consumption.

Owners are being caught off-guard with how quickly their cars are running out of oil. No leaks, no spills, just 1 quart of vanishing oil in as little as 1,200 miles. Toyota maintains this is “normal” for the 2AZ-FE engine, even though they issued a TSB for the problem in August of 2011.

The issue may be the result of defective piston rings and is the possible target of a class-action lawsuit.

2009 Toyota Camry body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Toyota Camry:

2009 Toyota Camry Owner Comments (Page 4 of 6)

Dec 122013

Camry 4-cyl

Dashboard is sticky and terrible glare while driving. Reported it to the dealership in July.

- Davie, FL, USA

Aug 012012

Camry 4-cyl

Dashboard is melting and sticky.

- Pompano Beach, FL, USA

Jul 012009

My dash is melting. It is sticky and causing a glare on the windshield making it hard to see when the sun is shining.

- Phenix City, AL, USA

Aug 162011

Camry 4-cyl

Sticky dashboard that puts a glare on windshield.

- Austin, TX, USA

Jul 012013

I too have the sticky dashboard issue with my Camry. I try to clean it but it just collects more stuff. It is super sticky and causes an extreme glare. I contacted Toyota and they said I am responsible for this. I have a few friends who have the same problem. I like my Camry but due to this issue I am pretty positive I will look elsewhere for my next vehicle.

- Sarasota, FL, USA

Aug 262014

Camry 4-cyl

My 2009 Camry dash board is melting and gives a reflection that is very dangerous as it blocks the view. Also worry if this is affecting the functions of the air bags. I contacted Toyota headquarter and was not given a solution to this problem. This is a safety issue and needs to be addressed. I was a very happy Camry owner until this problem started.

- Miami, FL, USA

Aug 042014

Camry 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2009 Toyota Camry. The contact stated that the vehicle dash board was melting and the head liner was falling down. The vehicle was taken into the dealer and the vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 84,000. Updated 1/21/15 updated 01/27/15.

- Kenner, LA, USA

Aug 222014

Camry 4-cyl

Vehicle (now with 98,532 miles) has a "sticky" dashboard caused by the breakdown of the materials composing the dashboard. Breakdown of materials has caused the dashboard to have a glare. The glare presents a safety problem. The material breakdown of the dashboard is believed to ultimately lead to a cracking of the dashboard which may also cause interference with operation of the air bag.

- Cape Coral, FL, USA

Jul 032014

Camry 4-cyl

I went to dealership and have requested my dashboard be replaced as it is melting. I continue to check back but they will not replace. It's melting so bad this it is a safety issue. Hopefully, they will replace so as to avoid a future suit.

- Weston, FL, USA

Aug 042014

Camry 4-cyl

At about 60 thousand miles I noticed the dash board of my wife's 2009 Camry begin to be very sticky and appeared to be melting. I went online and purchased a carpeted dash cover for it to no avail. The material remained sticky and extremely soft to the touch. Also, it gives a glare from the glass when driving. We continues to live with this issue until I heard of others who were experiencing the same problems. I took the vehicle to my local dealer (gettel Toyota, bradenton, fl) where we purchased the vehicle and they offered to recover the dash with a synthetic leather material for the cost of $500. I said to the service manager that I did not think it was fair that I had to pay for what in this case was clearly defective material. The dash is not a "wear and tear" item. At that time he rescinded his offer to repair my vehicle for the price quoted and I decided to make this clain in an effort to get the vehicle repaired.

- Ellenton, FL, USA

May 012014

The dashboard is sticky and melting. Now there is a glare that affects my son when he is driving. Glad to know we are not the only ones with the problem. Hopefully they will do something. I am afraid for my son to continue to drive the car.

- Homer, GA, USA

Aug 072012

Camry 4-cyl

The dashboard in my 2009 Camry began to become sticky and formed a bubbling effect that reflected to the windshield making it difficult to see and severely impaired my vision. The surface appeared to be melting and I complained to my dealership and was informed that my car was no longer under warranty and that Toyota would not replace it. I finally received a replacement dashboard, but I had to pay for the labor of installing it, approximately $500.

- St. Pete., FL, USA

Aug 022012

I own a 2009 Toyota Camry for over 2 years I've had what is known as a "sticky dash". it's almost as if the dashboard as melted and Toyota refuses to do anything for it - their response is for me to pay almost $1900 for a new dashboard plus labor which is completely unacceptable. I've also noticed that as of late, the glare due to the dashboard is interfering with my driving and I am genuinely worried about the safety of this vehicle.

- Miami, FL, USA

Aug 142014

My dashboard is melting and there is a glare that makes it difficult to see.

- Tampa, FL, USA

Aug 062014

My dash board is sticky and melted looking. The glare it causes makes it very difficult to see. If I don't wear sunshades I cant see. I called Toyota to make a complaint and they said they can't do anything because it is out of warranty. Also my passenger side window will only work occasionally.

- Plant City, FL, USA

Aug 132014

Camry 4-cyl

My Toyota Camry dashboard has always been an issue. Its scratches easily. But this summer it started to feel sticky. Around the hottest part of the day it will actually be shiny and melted and as the temperature goes down it will go back to being gooey, soft. When the sun is highest I have to put my sunglasses on to shield off some of the glare on my dash. The other day I drove for an hour around 3pm and later I was suffering from a twitch in my eye from eye strain from the glare off my dash. A friend of mine got in the car and I had forgotten to tell her not to touch the dashboard as it was around 1pm. I knew it would be melting. She placed her cell phone on it and as soon as she took it off, pieces of the dashboard stuck to her phone. I now have holes on my dash. It wasn't her fault and I don't see why it should be mine either or why I should continue to put up with it. I have always kept my car clean and serviced. I have always protected the inside with mothers and armor all. When I called the dealership they told me it was my fault because I must have put something on it I wasn't supposed to and that it would cost 1800 dollars to replace the dash. Why should I pay to fix a defective product" in my investigation I have found that many people are having this problem, especially in the southern states. Can something please be done? can Toyota please take responsibility for their greedy cost cutting tactics" so far I have attended numerous recalls for this car for one thing after another. Having to take out time from work and my personal time to go for another recall is not what I envisioned when I bought this car. Its not what I signed and paid for. I will not buy another Toyota until Toyota starts treating customers with respect.

- Cypress, TX, USA

Aug 012014

Camry 4-cyl

I park my car in my garage. I drive this car everyday. When I touch the dashboards, it is so sticky. It seems like the dashboards have been melt.

- Tampa, FL, USA

Aug 012012

Camry 4-cyl

I am another Camry owner who has noticed my dashboard "melting". simply pressing my finger on it will leave an indent, and there are several nicks and scratches at this point. I worry that if I'm in an accident, the strength of the dashboard is compromised and it won't do it's job in helping to protect me.

- Bradenton, FL, USA

Aug 012013

Camry 4-cyl

I live in Louisiana and it's very humid and hot. Last year my dashboard attracted much dust and dirt. When I among others tried cleaning it, nothing would actually remove or clean the surface. It is very sticky and it looks unsightly and it's very embarrassing. Each time I had my car detailed, it was difficult to accept from the detailer as to why my dash was never clean and the products they used didn't cause the surface texture. Up until I began hearing complaints from Nissan owners regarding this problem, I realized I had the same problem but with my Toyota Camry. Please do something about this problem, I love my Camry and don't want to part with it.

- Napoleonville, LA, USA

May 112014

The contact owns a 2009 Toyota Camry. The contact stated that the dashboard became sticky and discolored. The dashboard was melting and produced a glare that impaired the contact's visibility while driving. The dealer stated that the dashboard needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired and the manufacturer was notified. The approximate failure mileage was 84,000.

- Donna, TX, USA