CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2009 Camry used to be adorned with our “Seal of Pretty Good” but that was before an alarming number of complaints started rolling in for excessive oil consumption.

Owners are being caught off-guard with how quickly their cars are running out of oil. No leaks, no spills, just 1 quart of vanishing oil in as little as 1,200 miles. Toyota maintains this is “normal” for the 2AZ-FE engine, even though they issued a TSB for the problem in August of 2011.

The issue may be the result of defective piston rings and is the possible target of a class-action lawsuit.

2009 Toyota Camry engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Toyota Camry:

2009 Toyota Camry Owner Comments (Page 2 of 10)

Nov 292012

Camry 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2009 Toyota Camry. The contact stated that after approaching a construction site, the driver was directed to back the vehicle up. After the contact placed the vehicle in reverse and back into drive the vehicle accelerated to approximately 35 mph without warning. The contact lost control of the vehicle and crashed into a telephone pole. The police were notified and a report was filed. The driver received minor bruises to her chest from the seat belt. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic where it was deemed destroyed. The manufacturer had the vehicle inspected by an investigator. The investigation was pending. The failure mileage was approximately 69,000...updated 01/30/13 updated 2/4/2013

- South Wick, MA, USA

Sep 302012

Camry

The contact owns a 2009 Toyota Camry. The contact stated that while driving 28 mph the engine RPM's suddenly increase and the vehicle started to accelerate up to about 37 mph. The brake were engaged but the vehicle continued to accelerate and the steering wheel locked. The driver side air bag deploy as the vehicle crashed into a tree. The contact sustained whip lash and lower back injuries. The police was contacted. The vehicle was destroyed. The manufacturer was notified who stated they would send out a representative to inspect the vehicle and give him a return call. The failure mileage was 49,000.

- New Windsor, NY, USA

Feb 282012

Camry

The contact owns a 2009 Toyota Camry. The contact stated while reversing into a parking space, the vehicle accelerated independently and crashed into a pole. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the contact was advised that there were no failures found within the vehicle. The manufacturer was not contacted. The failure mileage was 20,000 and the current mileage was 23,000.

- Westerly , RI, USA

Apr 192012

Camry 4-cyl

While backing out of my garage unto the driveway and then into the street, it caused a unintended acceleration while driving in reverse, causing almost a 90 degree spin and I had to slam on the brakes for it to finally stop. This happened once on 4/18/12 and then again the exact same thing happened again on 6/8/2012. The first time it happened I thought it was something I did and then when it happened again I knew that "something was really wrong" and when I realized the danger over that weekend I parked the car in my garage and have not driven it since. Now I am hearing of car door panels catching on fire for 2007-2009 Camry...I will not even drive this car, it will be towed to the dealership this week. I will not be killed or kill someone waiting for something happen. I will never buy another Toyota product again.

- Lake Mary, FL, USA

May 152012

Camry

The contact owns a 2009 Toyota Camry. The contact stated that the accelerator pedal would stick while driving. The failure recurred intermittently. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnosis however, the mechanic was unable to find anything wrong with the vehicle. The took the vehicle to additional mechanics and was told the failure could have been caused by the transmission. The contact also took the vehicle to a dealer who also was unable to determine the failure. The vehicle had not been repaired. The failure and current mileages were 30,000.

- Gardena, CA, USA

May 162012

Camry 4-cyl

The contact owns 2009 Toyota Camry. The contact was attempting to accelerate but the vehicle exhibited a 10-15 second delay before it would respond. The vehicle was taken to the dealer but they were unable determine a failure. The contact then took the vehicle to a second dealer who was also unable to diagnose the vehicle. The manufacturer was contacted but offered no assistance. The contact took the vehicle to a private mechanic and was told that the failure was with the actual accelerator. The vehicle was not repaired. The contact mentioned that the failure had not started until after the vehicle was serviced under NHTSA campaign id number: 12V091000 (exterior lighting: Brake lights: Switch). The failure mileage was 29,800. Updated 7/18/12 the consumer stated there was a 20-30 second delay when shifting to second gear. The battery had to be replaced and the brake light remained on after the vehicle was started. Updated 07/31/12

- Gardena, CA, USA

Apr 092012

Camry

The contact owns a 2009 Toyota Camry. The contact stated that while driving downhill at 70 mph with the cruise control engaged, the vehicle accelerated up to 90 mph. The contact then applied the brakes and the vehicle decelerated to 70 mph. The dealer was notified and stated that the vehicle performed as normal. The manufacturer was notified and stated that the vehicle was out of warranty. They offered no further assistance. The failure mileage was 29,138.

- Elk Grove, CA, USA

Mar 222012

Camry

When attempting to park, the vehicle suddenly accelerated and I was forced to stop it by running into a palm tree in order to avoid hitting people and other cars or causing more serious damage.

- La Quinta, CA, USA

Mar 182010

Camry

I was on the highway in a traffic jam. I was riding the brake and the RPM's suddenly revved. I pushed harder on the brake until it stopped.

- Deep River, CT, USA

Dec 042011

Camry

On December 4, 2011, with my wife and returning from a visit to our children, I was driving our 2009 Camry East from brooklyn in the left lane about a mile onto the jackie robinson parkway at about 4:30 P.M., visibility very good and road dry. Traffic was heavy but moving about 35-40 M.P.H. when it slowed a little in front of me I put on the brake-- but the car speeded up. I repeated the braking and the car speeded up even more. These two attempted braking occurred in about 5 seconds. I saw we would crash into the car ahead. I tried to steer mainly into the space between that car and the one in the right lane so as to minimize damage to them, but the car in front of me went a little faster. Our car, having hit the right-lane car in its left rear, went past that car and into the opened-up space and the shoulder, and into an about three-plus-foot concrete retaining wall, hitting it at an angle with the right front of our car, which mounted the wall on our right-hand wheels and came to a stop there. Air bags had not deployed but tensioned seatbelts hit us hard in the chests. We managed to get my door open and get out. The car was totaled, with about 12,000 miles on it, always carefully maintained. I would add that when Toyota recalled the car in 2010 I brought it in for the adjustments and was interested to learn from the mechanic at the dealership that the adjustments would take awhile because they required modifications to the car's computer. Also, I as well as my wife have been driving, each of us for nearly 50 years, with exemplary records, and neither of us has ever pressed the gas pedal when we meant to step on the brakes. We are writing to you in the hope that still other Toyota customers will not have to suffer the upset that we still feel, or of course worse. (I sent this to you via pdf earlier today.)

- Garden City South, NY, USA

Jun 112011

Camry

The contact owned a 2009 Toyota Camry. The contact stated that while driving approximately 20 mph, the vehicle suddenly accelerated to 55 mph. As the driver was attempting to brake, the vehicle crashed and flipped three times before landing in a ditch. The police were notified and a report was available. The driver suffered minor injuries and was transported to the hosiptal via ambulance. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic and they deemed the vehicle as being destroyed. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 55,700. Updated 09/27/11 updated 2/9/2012

- Bronx, NY, USA

May 082011

Camry

2009 Toyota Camry had a uncontrolled sudden acceleration incident while my wife, daughter, 9 week old grandson, and two nieces were in the car. She was making a left turn when throttle locked on full power. My wife applied the brakes but did slow car to much so she placed in neutral, coasting into a shopping as the engine kept racing. She check the floor mat but no problem then stomped the throttle a couple of time until the engine RPM returned to normal. She then place the car in drive then parked the car into a parking stall. She recalled the smelling order hot engine and hot brakes. Vehicle was driven home and is being taken to Toyota 05/09/11 for inspection as instructed by service advisor.

- Carlsbad, CA, USA

Mar 032011

Camry

The contact owns a 2009 Toyota Camry. While stopped at a stop sign applying pressure to the brake pedal, the vehicle suddenly accelerated and crashed into the rear of a pickup truck. The vehicle was towed to a body shop where it was being inspected by the contacts insurance company. The driver of the vehicle suffered bumps, scrapes and bruises due to the crash and was transported to the hospital. The driver continued to take medication and was undergoing therapy for severe pain in her right leg. The passenger sustained scratches to his arm. A police report was filed. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not contacted. The approximate failure mileage was 12,000. Updated 04/12/11 updated 1/13/2012

- Kemp, TX, USA

Nov 172010

Camry

Prior to these incidents, the vehicle was checked by the dealer on their recall. I was traveling on a 2 lane highway at 60 mph with the cruise control on. I approached a slight incline in the road and the transmission downshifted as normal. Tachometer went from 2000 RPM to 3000 RPM. Then suddenly there was a sudden uncontrollable acceleration in which the engine revved up to 4500 RPM and the engine was screaming as though it was about to blow apart. My foot was not in contact with the accelerator pedal. The floor mat had been removed per the dealer instructions. I immediately put my foot on the brake pedal which stopped the sudden acceleration. If this had been on a wet highway or in traffic there would surely have been an accident. This same incident has occurred 4 times within the last 6 months. I took the vehicle back to the dealer and they reported that there was nothing wrong and they could not replicate the problem. After several conversations with Toyota, they said that they will make a record of my incidents but, Toyota will do nothing to fix the problem. This had to have been caused by the cruise control system or the computer/software controlling it.

- Hokes Bluff, AL, USA

Jan 012010

Camry

The contact owns a 2009 Toyota Camry. While driving approximately 30 mph, the contact stated that the vehicle would not decelerate immediately when she removed her foot from the accelerator pedal. The vehicle was taken to the dealer yet the failure could not be diagnosed. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 4,000. The VIN was not available.

- Minneapolis, MN, USA

Jan 092011

Camry 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2009 Toyota Camry. The contact was driving 5 mph when the vehicle abnormally accelerated. The contact was unable to stop the unintended acceleration and crashed into a tree which cased the vehicle to flip over. The vehicle was destroyed. A police report was available. The contact sustained several bruises and lacerations. The vehicle was destroyed and towed to a local repair facility. The dealer was notified of the failure and referred the contact to the manufacturer for further investigation of the failure. The contact did not notify the manufacturer. The VIN was unavailable. The current and failure mileage was 27,000. Updated 12/19/2011

- Mena, AR, USA

Jan 042011

Camry

The contact owns a 2009 Toyota Camry. The contact stated that while driving in reverse she barely tapped the accelerator pedal and the vehicle accelerated and crashed into another vehicle. The contact stated that the brakes failed to stop the vehicle. The contact was not injured but was taken to the hospital. The contact called the manufacturer who stated that they will send a representative to retrieve the black box. The contact was concerned since a severe crash could have occurred. The failure mileage was 15,000.

- Saugus, MA, USA

Oct 222010

Camry

On the morning of Oct 22 '10, I was on my way to work when suddenly my 2009 Toyota Camry accelerated, I tried applying the brakes, however to no avail.. I tried to steer the car out of the way due to it was a busy intersection..it finally came to a stop when it crashed head on into a vehicle ( after crashing into 2 more on the way), the airbags never deployed, also note that I had taking it a few months back for the recall; I was bruised, however the mental scars which are the worse, cannot be seen, constantly thinking of what could have been, I'm reporting this incident because even though I would never want anyone to go thru what I went thru, unfortunately it will continue to happen if nothing is done about it, I am urging the NHTSA and any other entities that have the power, to keep the roads & the public safe, this is an urgent matter and hopefully something drastic can be done before we lose more lives.

- Miramar, FL, USA

Oct 092010

Camry

2009 Toyota Camry - excessive acceleration and abrupt change in transmission when cruise control tries to catch up with the set speed limit after a dip in speed- Toyota tech saw the problem, accepts that its happening - Toyota's response "get used to it".

- Minneapolis, MN, USA

Oct 052010

Camry 4-cyl

My daughter was exiting a parking garage on a descending ramp going at the most about 10 mph in our 2009 Toyota Camry. She had her foot on the brake pedal. There were cars in front of her. The car suddenly accelerated. She pushed hard on the brake and the brake pedal went to the floor to no effect. She turned into the garage wall to stop the car so as not to run into the vehicles ahead of her. When she exited the car to get help the brake pedal was completely on the floor of the vehicle. She had taken the vehicle in for the required recall repairs in April 2010. We have instituted investigation procedures with Toyota. Updated 10/22/10 updated 10/26/10

- New Orleans, LA, USA