CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2009 Camry used to be adorned with our “Seal of Pretty Good” but that was before an alarming number of complaints started rolling in for excessive oil consumption.

Owners are being caught off-guard with how quickly their cars are running out of oil. No leaks, no spills, just 1 quart of vanishing oil in as little as 1,200 miles. Toyota maintains this is “normal” for the 2AZ-FE engine, even though they issued a TSB for the problem in August of 2011.

The issue may be the result of defective piston rings and is the possible target of a class-action lawsuit.

2009 Toyota Camry engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Toyota Camry:

2009 Toyota Camry Owner Comments (Page 9 of 10)

Jan 202010

Camry

When parallel parking (backing-up) on a city side street, car suddenly accelerated; jumping the curb and, luckily, crashing into a tree. Rear end damage estimated at $10,000. This '09 Camry purchased only 7 months ago, had less than 10,000 miles on it.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Nov 162008

Camry

During the fall of 2008 I purchased a new 2009 Camry. November of 2008 I was driving at 70 mph when the car began to accelerate faster without pressing the accelerator. When I returned home I took the car to the local Toyota dealer and explained the problem. They checked it, drove it and said they didn't see anything wrong with the vehicle. I've had several other incidents of acceleration over the next year. I've removed the floor mat. Last week I was at the a shopping mall and was waiting to turn down a lane when the car accelerated. I would have hurt someone if anyone had been standing there. I called the Toyota company again and they said the recall only refers to floor mat problems.

- Bogart, GA, USA

Aug 202009

Camry

What type of action is being taken on the Toyota recall (acceleration issue) I have received a recall in October that states parts will not be available until spring of 2010. How many people have to die before this will bwe addressed by Toyota? we keep hearing on the new about the severe safety issue. But the dealers do not have any information. When will this be fixed. I have never felt so unsafe in a vehicle. I am afraid to drive my 2009 Camry.

- Hazleton, PA, USA

Dec 212009

Camry

I was in a parking lot of a shopping complex and I was trying to look for a parking spot. There was a parking spot between 2 cars on the right side, I slowly turned right into the spot, the car was in the spot and the car was straight and my leg was on the brakes. Unexpectedly the car started accecelerating on its own, then the car with great speed climbed up the curb and hit the hair salon shop. The shop had 2-3 feet high brick wall and main door and other things are made with glass and metal frames. The car smashed the wall and glass door completely and landed inside the shop. I had to press the brakes really hard and finally it stopped there was a tire burning smell, I saw there was big drag tire mark on the shop floor. The air bags did not open. Fortunately nobody was injured nor there was any damages to other cars in the parking lot. I had received a recall letter from Toyota 1-2 months back and it indicated that the driver side floor mat can interfere with the gas pedal and it had suggested to remove the floor mat and keep it in the trunks until further notice. Then I had removed all the floor mats and were in the trunk at the time of accident. It is a 2009 Toyota Camry bought new and did regular maintenance at Toyota dealership. The car is now in 355 Toyota dealership in Maryland and Toyota has opened a case and are investigating the case on 01/19/2010.

- Elkridge, MD, USA

Jul 182009

Camry

The contact owns a 2009 Toyota Camry. She stated that while driving 15 mph and making a left turn, the vehicle accelerated and crashed into a curb over an embankment. The contact sustained major injuries and a broken ankle. The vehicle was towed. The vehicle was repaired. The dealer where the contact purchased the vehicle was notified and they stated that they would report it to Toyota. The contact has not driven the vehicle since the crash occurred. The failure and current mileages were 6975.

- Sidney, NY, USA

Dec 222009

Camry

The contact owns a 2009 Toyota Camry. During brake application at 30 mph the vehicle would not decelerate. Consequently he rear-ended a vehicle. Even after impact the vehicle continued to accelerate. This caused him to crash into the same vehicle for a second time. The vehicle has not been diagnosed by the dealership. The current and failure mileages were 10500.

- Smithtown, NY, USA

Nov 112009

Camry

On driving out of a parking lot, I suddenly felt a vibration on the gas pedal and the car immediately accelerated and went out of control and into an embankment. I slammed on the brake and put the car into park. The car sustained damage under the front end.

- Davie, FL, USA

Nov 262009

Camry

The contact owns a 2009 Toyota Camry. Twice the vehicle suddenly accelerated while driving approximately 35 mph. Also the breaks would not respond during application. He would have to use the emergency brake several times. He received a ticket for driving over the speed limit. He contacted the manufacturer and filed a report. He was advised to take the vehicle back to the dealer were he purchased it. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, but the technician did not road test or diagnose the vehicle. The dealer stated there was nothing wrong with the vehicle and gave him the key back. He told the dealer if they could not diagnose the failure to trade the vehicle. The vehicle was traded. The current and the failure mileages were 8,000.

- Centervlle, VA, USA

Dec 132009

Camry

The contact owns a 2006 Toyota Camry when a power surge caused the vehicle crash into another vehicel and pole. This happend for the first time two weeks ago. 14000 miles at time of incident and 14200 current.

- Fairfax , VA, USA

Dec 132009

Camry 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2009 Toyota Camry hybrid. While driving 25 mph the vehicle began to rapidly accelerate past an intersection. After repeated brake application the vehicle was able to stop. The dealer nor the manufacturer has not been contacted. The failure mileage was 5,200. Updated 02/19/10. Updated 08/20/10.

- Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Nov 162009

Camry

My 2007 Toyota Camry le was rear-ended at around 40-50 miles per hour and it was pushed into the car in front of me. So I was struck from the back and then the front. The other two cars' airbags deployed but mine did not. I notice there are front and side tests done on cars but never when one is rear-ended. I went to the emergency room with a headache and stiffness in my neck and was diagnosed with whiplash - head and back. Everyone I've mentioned this to wondered why my airbags did not deploy. Can you tell me if it should have" fortunately my seatbelt worked and restrained me and I did not bump my head on anything other than the headrest. Just wondering if I should be concerned that my airbag did not deploy. Oh, and my just-paid off Camry was totaled -- over $12,000 in damages so I have to buy another car and wondering if I should consider another vehicle. I feel fortunate that I was able to walk away from the incident though there is no more "truck" so to speak left on my car. I'd like to get another Camry but need to know if the lack of airbag deployment is important to consider when buying another car. Also, I have been hearing that the floor mat recall on the Toyota from 2007 -2010 is not really a floor mat issue but an electrical one that Toyota is not telling us about. What do you know about this"

- Springfield, VA, USA

Oct 282009

Camry

The contact owns a 2009 Toyota Camry. While the contact was at a stop light she had attempted to accelerate and noticed that the vehicle was accelerating on its own after her foot was no longer on the pedal. The contact applied the brakes which caused the vehicle to pull to the right onto a grass surface which also stopped the vehicle from accelerating. The dealer informed the contact that the failure could not be reproduced. There were no prior warnings. The current and failure mileages were 5000.

- Columbus, NJ, USA

Sep 202009

Camry

The contact owns a 2009 Toyota Camry. After light application of the accelerator pedal, the vehicle rapidly began to accelerate. After repeated brake application, the he was able to stop the vehicle. The vehicle has not been inspected for the malfunction. The failure and current mileages were unknown.

- Charlotte , NC, USA

Sep 172009

Camry

Wife backing out of driveway. Pushing down on accelerator for about an inch or more no increase in rpms. When she pushed down enough to make it move then it lurched and hit a pickup parked across the street. No damage to the truck but I had to replace the rear bumper on the Camry.

- Story City, IA, USA

Sep 152009

Camry

The car accelerated suddenly while my daughter was parking it. It jumped two curbs and sideswiped a tree before she was able to stop it. The dealer told us she must have stepped on the accelerator instead of the brake, but she insists that she didn't.

- San Jose, CA, USA

Nov 192009

Camry 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2009 Toyota Camry. During brake application at 10 mph, the vehicle accelerated without intention. Consequently she rear-ended another vehicle. The driver sustained moderate injuries. The police and ambulance were called to the scene. The vehicle was towed to an authorized dealer for inspection. The cause of failure has not been determined at this time. The failure and current mileage mileages were 24,000. Updated 1/4/10 updated 01/06/10.

- Dade City , FL, USA

Nov 162009

Camry

The contact owns a 2009 Toyota Camry. The manufacturer did not notify her of the defect for the floor-mats until several months after the press release. Secondly when she removed the floor-mat the dealer re-installed it. She does not have certainty that the reinstallation was safe. Also she was not satisfied with an interim remedy. The current and failure mileages were 950.

- Emmerson, NJ, USA

Jun 192009

Camry

The contact owns a 2009 Toyota Camry. While driving 35 mph up a slight slope the accelerator became stuck, and the brakes would not function. She then coasted into a nearby gas station. The vehicle was taken to a local mechanic, but he could not identify the cause of the failure. The current and failure mileages were 18000.

- Mckees Roeck, PA, USA

Aug 102009

Camry

The contact owns a 2009 Toyota Camry. While driving, the floor mats slid under the accelerate pedal and caused the vehicle to accelerate at a higher speed causing her to crash into a parked vehicle. There were no injuries. The police was notified; however, they did not provide a police report. The vehicle was damaged in the front and back; yet, she was able to continue driving the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to the dealer and repaired. The contact did receive a recall notice regarding the floor mats. The failure mileage was 19,000.

- Jackson, MS, USA

Oct 042009

Camry

The contact owns a 2009 Toyota Camry. While driving 10 mph and approaching a stop light an SUV stopped abruptly in front of her and the vehicle suddenly accelerated and crashed into the SUV. The front of the vehicle was damaged. The air bags did not deploy. There were no injuries. The police did not complete a police report. The vehicle was towed from the scene and repaired at a local shop. It took one month for the local repair facility to fix the vehicle; however, the failure recurred and crashed into another SUV. The manufacturer was unable to provide her any assistance regarding the failure. The failure mileage was 3,000.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA