8.6

$940

2. rebuild engine (6 reports)
2012 Audi Q5 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Audi Q5:

2012 Audi Q5 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Sep 192018

Q5 Premium 2.0t

We've had the car since it was new and I've have personally maintained the car. Started noticing that it was using about 3 quarts between oil changes. Scheduled service but they said "that's not bad' when I mentioned 3 quarts between oil changes. Looked up and am seeing that there are a number of complaints with the engine code CAEB which mine has. Taking it in to Audi and hoping for the best. I'd be happy to join a class action suit if they don't cover this. Maybe a Hyundai is my next purchase as this might be my first and last Audi purchase.

- kcautodui, Overland Park, US

Jan 012016

Q5

Bought this car second hand in 2016. Noticed the oil light in the 1st week but just thought it needed a top up. Since then a quart of oil is needed every 300 km! There is no leak and I don't know where the oil is going. A full gas tank will take me 600km so that two quarts of oil for every tank of gas!! Coming from cars which have never needed additional oil between service, this is shocking and for such a brand name car, highly unacceptable. I will check with the dealers this week to see if there as a fix as my research now shows me the problem is well known. Unacceptable for a modern car!

- Peter R., Kingston, Jamaica

Mar 012019

Q5 Premium 2.0L Turbo

The vehicle has no problems when we brought it in for an oil change just before we were heading out of town. After traveling less than 5 miles, the BRAKE light illuminated. I pulled over and contacted the dealership and they stated that it must have been a coincidence because they didn't touch the brakes. Even though the oil change took 3 hours and the service manager tried to sell me a complete brake job for $5,000. After I declined the service it took an additional hour to get my car back. Long story short, about 1,000 miles later it needs a quart of oil every 1,000 miles now. BRAKE light is still illuminated and brakes are still working fine.

- uberdrew, Fort Worth, TX, US

May 152018

Q5 2.0t

I bought this Audi Q5 as a CPO (Certified Pre-Owned) in 2015. It ran very well but about a year ago I had to add oil every 1,500 miles and gradually it went below 1,000 miles (I'm now at 86,550 mi). I had an oil consumption test done by Audi (it took a week before they got back to me) and started out by saying they had good news. I thought they were going to fix the problem at no cost to me. They said that the pistons and rings had to be replaced at a cost of $4,200 and the good news is that Audi would cover 25% or $1,050. I told them that good news would be if I only had to pay 25% and they would cover the rest. If they are willing to cover part of the cost to repair the problem then they are de facto admitting their culpability so why not go all the way and cover the entire cost. I asked what would happen if I didn't do anything - Audi said that I could continue to top it off as needed (if I swung by the dealership they would do it free of charge) and it wouldn't affect the engine. The thing to do is figure out how to get a class action suit started. There are many more people out there with this problem. I'm going to see what legal firm handled the one covering the 2009 - 2011 Q5s CAS and see what they say. As others have posted, VW/Audi are embroiled in "emissionsgate" so I would say that the only way they will budge is if legal action is taken. We buy these highly engineered premium German cars thinking they are going to be very reliable and then this happens.

- Tom P., Cottage Grove, WI, US

Mar 012019

Q5 2.0L

Purchased with about 35K miles 3 years ago under a CPO purchase from a dealer. In the last 6 months, the oil consumption has really taken off and been excessive. Using 1 quart every 450 miles since 65K miles. Up until this year, it was one quart every oil change. Took it to the dealer and the said that some of the 2012's were under this settlement, but my car was not. Did oil consumption test (it failed) and the service people sent it to corporate Audi to ask if they would cover it and they declined to fix it. I'm furious. This should be covered and just because the class action didn't include it because the cars were not old enough to have issues yet, they are washing their hands of it. I've had a similar experience with a VW Touareg. I will never, ever purchase from them again and I would highly recommend you do not support this horrible company that will not stand by their products, will like and cheat emissions tests and then cover it up.

- Scott L., Dallas, US

Apr 012017

Q5 Limited 2.0L

I bought a 2012 Audi Q5 in in 2015. It was a certified pre-owned Audi straight from the dealer with 39,000 miles on it. For the first 20,000 miles of owning this car, it was all I had hoped for. Then, the check engine and oil light game started. At first, adding oil meant that it would it go another 1500-2000 miles without issue. Then, around 75k, it went to 500 to 750 miles. Once it hit 95k, it dropped to every 400 to 600 miles that it needed oil. I am at 100k and desperately want to dump this lemon. Unfortunately, I have another 16 payments on this garbage car. I've spoken with a local mechanic about it and he says the fix is replacing the pistons etc, basically, a $9k job to fix it. No way will I consider that. The dealer is worthless and will only fight me on this issue. I know this much, I will NEVER EVER CONSIDER BUYING ANOTHER AUDI/VW AGAIN! Lesson learned the hard way! This is actually the 5th Audi/VW I've owned/leased in my lifetime. I was super loyal to this brand prior to this lemon entering my life. I have never had these issues with any other vehicles prior this one. But, they've lost me for good.

- Pete B., Woodbury, US

Mar 182019

Q5

Literally just bought this car, hadn't even had it long enough to make the first payment and the oil light comes on. I added 2 quarts of oil after driving it 1000 miles and it still said I needed more. I didn't think there was any way possible it needed more than 2 quarts so I thought for sure a sensor was broken somewhere since these cars do not come with a dipstick. Took the car into the shop after another 1000 miles and was told that my car was just burning oil and there was no oil in it! They informed me that this was a known issue, which is ridiculous! I literally just bought this car, and apparently from what I have read, the 2012 model is not covered under the lawsuit.

- Aoife M., Grove City, US

Jan 192019

Q5 2.0L

Bought the car from used from Porsche dealership (Autonation) and a week after the engine light came on and I have to add 1 liter of oil every other week.

- Freddy A., Bellevue, WA, US

Oct 102018

Q5 Quattro Premium Sport 2.0L

My wife owns a 2012 Q5 (4-Cyl, turbo, 2.0-liter engine) that she bought brand new from an Audi dealership and has had it serviced per Audi recommendation, at an Audi dealership every time. At her 105k service visit, she notified the service adviser that she had been burning a lot of oil; he advised her to keep a log and he would take a look at her next service visit. At 113k her car started sputtering out on the highway (which resulted in an auto accident). She had it towed to the dealer, long story short, they tell her that the car has a broken piston ring with damage to the cylinder wall and will need a new engine costing $11k plus $1k for diagnostics already performed. Her log showed that she went through 14 quarts of oil in 9k miles (7 months).

After going back-and-forth with the service manager and Audi of America, they have agreed to do the work for half the cost ($6k). Is anyone aware of any talks of an additional class action for the 2012 models?

- Israel M., Baltimore, MD, US

Dec 192018

Q5 2.0T

As others have pointed out, as well as thousands of others on well known forums, the 2012 Q5 DOES INDEED HAVE AN OIL CONSUMPTION ISSUE!

There is a class action lawsuit that covers 2009-2011 Q5 models, but that was before the 2012 was known to have the issue. I don't know if there are enough 2012 models affected for the big $$ lawyers to get involved with another class action but it is needed.

I bought a used Q5 from a Audi dealer with 34,000 miles. Before I got home the add oil message came up on the MMI. The dealer did not immediately return my inquiry, but after a lot of back and forth they stated this year didn't have the oil consumption issue and recommended I come back to have the PCV valve replaced as that could be sucking oil and quoted me about $400. I saw the part online for $50 and took care of it myself, and it was probably the easiest part swap I ever did. Within 1500 miles I burned through another quart of oil. This time the dealer would not return calls or emails so I went to my local Audi dealer, Sun Motors. Josh stated they had heard about the issue on older models but NEVER on a 2012. I questioned them on this since I knew for a fact they had just did an engine swap for another 2012 Q5. A technician later told me they were not allowed to acknowledge the problem.

Here I am at 69,000 miles and I am burning a quart roughly every 500-800 miles. My wife was told today by Stephen that is normal for any 2.0T. Really? I also have a 2006 Audi A4 with 198,000 miles and I burn NO oil between 8,000 mile oil changes.

At this point I guess the best I can hope for is the class action law suit to include 2012 at some point, or for the timing chain to fail and blow the engine which I hear is also being repaired at no cost under the radar.

Considering the Dieselgate dishonesty, you would think Audi would man up on this to keep some customers. I don't know how anyone who does even the slightest amount of research would buy an Audi at this time. Why pay the premium on their product? They 100,000 miles warranty has been reduced to 50,000 miles, the cars are now made in Mexico and dealerships don't back up the product.

This brand now stands for dishonesty and sits back while they make their customers look like fools that overpaid for a car.

- jiggysmb, Lewisberry, PA, US

Nov 172015

Q5 2.0 Premium 2.0t

I purchased my Q5 from a NY Audi dealer in March of 2012, my car was built February 2012.

Approximately, 2 1/2 years ago, my cars minimum oil light went on 1,000 miles short of its next oil change, which had never happened before. I called the dealership, I was told "this was to be expected, was just the way these cars aged". I added the recommended 5W40 European synthetic oil. This continued, in increasing intervals.

I repeatedly asked the dealership about this and was told again and again this was fine and to keep adding oil. This car was only every serviced at Audi dealerships and has primarily highway miles. Last December, the dealership began only dealing in VW. So in the spring when I needed tail light and hvac fan work I went to the Audi dealer in Albany/Latham. They completed $1500. worth of work. I asked again about the oil, at that point I was adding a quart every 500 miles. I was told there was a known problem w/this causing early piston failure but that it was with the 2009-2011 models and to fix it would cost approximately $6000.! And, you guessed it, was told to keep adding oil!!!! I looked on the internet, civil litigation, hmmmm.

I called Audi USA. Told to go pay for an oil compression test. Car failed before I could get it in. I called Audi USA again and was told because of the mileage of the vehicle not sure what Audi could do for me and they wanted to know what my expectations were. I replied, I expected a higher end vehicle to last more that 109,000 miles, especially since for the last 30,000 I’ve been concerned about this and lied to repeatedly. Kia’s and Hyundai last longer than 109,000!

- jdiaz1, Oneonta, US

May 052017

Q5 LS 2.0L

Audi wasted my time and money proving my car failed oil consumption test. I was sent on wild goose chase for receipts, knowing they would not fix my car. For 1 person at Audi, having all power to grant you Good Will.. to fix your car. I can't believe Audi won't support their product and fix these cars. Problem obviously not solved.

- Stephanie T., Houston, TX, US

Feb 012018

Q5 Limited 2.0L T

Audi settled class action suit for vehicles from 2009 to 2011. Problem exists in later models and another class action suit is needed to get Audi/Volkswagen to fix it.

- Jim D., Pittsburgh, PA, US

Nov 112017

Q5 Premium Plus 2.0t

I bought this vehicle in November, 2017. I immediately had the timing chain fail (two days after receiving it). After much complaining and getting Audi USA involved, they agreed to fix the timing chain without cost to me. HOWEVER, I brought up the oil consumption issue, because I had already gotten a notice to put in a quart of oil. Audi USA and the dealership (auto Nation Audi of Bellevue, WA) refused to acknowledge that it is a problem, stated that my year was not affected by the problem, and stated that they would refuse to assist me in any way with fixing it. I have been dealing with it since. It went from a quart of oil every two tanks of fuel to what it is now, a quart of oil every 3/4 tank of fuel. I am about ready to trade this shiny piece of garbage in but I like the car other than this one issue! I would love a fix, that doesn’t cost me the quoted 7-to-8 thousand dollars the dealership said it would cost.

- John M., Redmond, US

Sep 162015

Q5 2.0T 4 cyl

It's now to the point of adding 3 quarts per week in city driving. About every 300 miles of highway driving. Every single time the warning message to add a quart come on. I have notice excessive smoke from the exhaust as well as burnt oil odor through my ac vents. The car is at 15000 miles now. Its in with Audi maintenance now. Many videos I have seen point to the pcv, plugs and coil replacement. This is not to say the coil and plugs are the issue but there is a connection with the engine burning oil causing plug issues. I think I have an oil leak as well which could be why I have to add so much oil now.

Update from Feb 19, 2018: Ok, my initial post commented on the oil burning issue and also I mentioned that I believed I had an oil leak. Currently the car has 150000 miles on it. My initial post has the 90000 plus miles to tell when it all began. At 150000 miles the 1 quart per 300 highway miles and the 3 quarts per week of city driving. The oil leak was repaired which turned out to be in the vacuum pump. I no longer smell Burt oil in my ac vents.

A day after picking up the car I drove it 150 miles in the city and the “add 1 quart oil” message appeared. It has been a week and I have added 2 quarts in that time. Today is a new week, 19 Feb 2018, and I just put a quart in the engine. The clock starts today!

Update from Jun 8, 2018: I left March 2 on a deployment and have returned three months later. I have been Driving the car for a total of seven days since returning from my deployment. 2 June 2018 I started driving again and like clock work I have put oil in on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday of the week of 2 June. I will have to add oil again on Sunday 10 June. Typical!

- rcbashedcr, El Paso, US

Feb 012016

Q5

The car has been burning extra oil for about 5 months. I have brought it to the dealership twice and they say there are no issues. It is now using an extra quart of oil every 500 miles or 10 days or so. This is truly excessive and I know from this site that Audi has already settled a class action suit for the same issue with other models.

It appears they have agreed to fix the crank shafts and reimbursed people for their costs in that case.

From a cost perspective, this is the equivalent of suddenly have 25% less gas mileage. From an inconvenience stand point, I have been in NH where I couldn't find the appropriate oil and had to make a decision, non-synthetic or drive down a quart.

Anyone else with a Q5 experiencing this issue?

- L B., Andover, MA, US

Sep 042017

Q5

Unfortunately, closest dealership is 4 hours away. Scheduled for an oil consumption test, which is in 2 parts.

1st, they check for an obvious problem then top off oil.

You then drive for 600-700 miles.

2nd part, you must then return to the service department to measure consumption.

This is a pain because of the distance for service and I know I'm driving with a significant issue.

Total cost just to diagnose problem will be $292.00

- Cindy B., Medford, US

Nov 302015

Q5 2.0L

Purchased the car new from the dealer. It has always consumed oil but late last year the oil consumption jumped. It currently has 90K miles and is using about a quart every 500 miles. Audi has a class action lawsuit settlement but is claiming our car is just out of the extended warranty and because we had it serviced outside of the dealership for a period of time, they prefer to spend their money fixing cars that they maintained (made money on).

Spent a bunch of money to purchase this car and now they say its needs a 8K fix, total junk. Audi's lack of customer service, poor product quality and their larger corporate dishonesty (VW fraud) is disgusting.

- John C., Tacoma, WA, US

May 202014

Q5 Premium Plus 2.0L Turbo

Bought this 2012 Audi Q5 from a Toyota dealership June 2015 with about 108,000 km / 66,000 miles on the odometer. I can see why the previous owner had traded it in. From the maintenance records left in the car (awesome), I could see that it had started needing oil added (between oil changes) at some point before 74,000 kms / 45,000 miles (when I noticed the first receipt for oil in the previous owner's records). Since I've owned it, the oil consumption has steadily increased from just over 1L/2000 miles to 1L/1000 miles, which is now 'excessive' by Audi's standards. The vehicle had a misfire on cylinder #3 at 54,000 kms / 33,000 miles and then again at 113,700 / 70,000 miles, which resulted in all spark plugs being replaced. This suggests to me, at minimum, that a faulty ring on that cylinder is causing oil loss and a fouled plug. Since oil consumption has increased, I suspect that fouled plugs will be required periodically as well.

From my power googling on the topic, even though this oil consumption problem was supposed to have been rectified by the 2012 model year, have been able to determine that my vehicle, built in Oct/2011, has one of the faulty engines (engine code CAEB). In my complaints at the Audi dealership thus far, the initial numb/dumb "we've never seen that problem" response has given way to talk of an oil consumption test at my cost, but as yet no offer to assist in getting Audi to foot the ring job. But that was when my oil consumption was not yet excessive by Audi's standards. But now it is, so when I bring it back, I will be more insistent on getting them to help me fix this manufactures defect at their cost. I see from the online literature on this that Audi response seems to range from all costs covered to part-covered. This car has been meticulously Audi serviced since new, so they cannot come up with any excuses. I have a friend who had experienced the same oil consumption problem with a 2009 Audi A4 – it was using a litre every 200 miles by the time Audi gave in to a ring job. We'll see how it goes. I will update this post one way or the other, but if they don't fix it, I will be dumping it. The real shame of this is the negative impact this problem has on other mechanical components, such as the turbo and exhaust/emission systems. Even if they fix the rings so there is no more oil consumption, these other components will no doubt be gummed up to some extent.

- Chris W., Calgary, AB, Canada

May 162016

Q5 2.0t

I noticed an excessive oil consumption over a year ago but the dealer led me to believe no one else had this issue. Over the past few months the issue seems to get worst - 1/2 quart every 2000 miles. I called the dealer but they told me I would have to pay for the repairs although Audi knows of the issue. Called Audi Customer Service and after checking my VIN they told me the same, although it is well known the problem was fixed mid year of that model year. I was about to purchase another Audi later this year but it would seem it would be a poor decision on my part: love the product but hate the fact Audi does not stand behind their product on a known issue.

- rperreault, Grand Rapids, MI, US