ANNOUNCEMENT: The Car Book 2018 is now online!

8.4

$940

2. rebuild engine (1 reports)
2012 Audi Q5 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Audi Q5:

2012 Audi Q5 Owner Comments

Nov 172015

Q5 2.0 Premium 2.0t

I purchased my Q5 from a NY Audi dealer in March of 2012, my car was built February 2012.

Approximately, 2 1/2 years ago, my cars minimum oil light went on 1,000 miles short of its next oil change, which had never happened before. I called the dealership, I was told "this was to be expected, was just the way these cars aged". I added the recommended 5W40 European synthetic oil. This continued, in increasing intervals.

I repeatedly asked the dealership about this and was told again and again this was fine and to keep adding oil. This car was only every serviced at Audi dealerships and has primarily highway miles. Last December, the dealership began only dealing in VW. So in the spring when I needed tail light and hvac fan work I went to the Audi dealer in Albany/Latham. They completed $1500. worth of work. I asked again about the oil, at that point I was adding a quart every 500 miles. I was told there was a known problem w/this causing early piston failure but that it was with the 2009-2011 models and to fix it would cost approximately $6000.! And, you guessed it, was told to keep adding oil!!!! I looked on the internet, civil litigation, hmmmm.

I called Audi USA. Told to go pay for an oil compression test. Car failed before I could get it in. I called Audi USA again and was told because of the mileage of the vehicle not sure what Audi could do for me and they wanted to know what my expectations were. I replied, I expected a higher end vehicle to last more that 109,000 miles, especially since for the last 30,000 I’ve been concerned about this and lied to repeatedly. Kia’s and Hyundai last longer than 109,000!

- jdiaz1, Oneonta, US

May 052017

Q5 LS 2.0L

Audi wasted my time and money proving my car failed oil consumption test. I was sent on wild goose chase for receipts, knowing they would not fix my car. For 1 person at Audi, having all power to grant you Good Will.. to fix your car. I can't believe Audi won't support their product and fix these cars. Problem obviously not solved.

- Stephanie T., Houston, TX, US

Feb 012018

Q5 Limited 2.0L T

Audi settled class action suit for vehicles from 2009 to 2011. Problem exists in later models and another class action suit is needed to get Audi/Volkswagen to fix it.

- Jim D., Pittsburgh, PA, US

Nov 112017

Q5 Premium Plus 2.0t

I bought this vehicle in November, 2017. I immediately had the timing chain fail (two days after receiving it). After much complaining and getting Audi USA involved, they agreed to fix the timing chain without cost to me. HOWEVER, I brought up the oil consumption issue, because I had already gotten a notice to put in a quart of oil. Audi USA and the dealership (auto Nation Audi of Bellevue, WA) refused to acknowledge that it is a problem, stated that my year was not affected by the problem, and stated that they would refuse to assist me in any way with fixing it. I have been dealing with it since. It went from a quart of oil every two tanks of fuel to what it is now, a quart of oil every 3/4 tank of fuel. I am about ready to trade this shiny piece of garbage in but I like the car other than this one issue! I would love a fix, that doesn’t cost me the quoted 7-to-8 thousand dollars the dealership said it would cost.

- John M., Redmond, US

Sep 162015

Q5 2.0T 4 cyl

It's now to the point of adding 3 quarts per week in city driving. About every 300 miles of highway driving. Every single time the warning message to add a quart come on. I have notice excessive smoke from the exhaust as well as burnt oil odor through my ac vents. The car is at 15000 miles now. Its in with Audi maintenance now. Many videos I have seen point to the pcv, plugs and coil replacement. This is not to say the coil and plugs are the issue but there is a connection with the engine burning oil causing plug issues. I think I have an oil leak as well which could be why I have to add so much oil now.

Update from Feb 19, 2018: Ok, my initial post commented on the oil burning issue and also I mentioned that I believed I had an oil leak. Currently the car has 150000 miles on it. My initial post has the 90000 plus miles to tell when it all began. At 150000 miles the 1 quart per 300 highway miles and the 3 quarts per week of city driving. The oil leak was repaired which turned out to be in the vacuum pump. I no longer smell Burt oil in my ac vents.

A day after picking up the car I drove it 150 miles in the city and the “add 1 quart oil” message appeared. It has been a week and I have added 2 quarts in that time. Today is a new week, 19 Feb 2018, and I just put a quart in the engine. The clock starts today!

Update from Jun 8, 2018: I left March 2 on a deployment and have returned three months later. I have been Driving the car for a total of seven days since returning from my deployment. 2 June 2018 I started driving again and like clock work I have put oil in on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday of the week of 2 June. I will have to add oil again on Sunday 10 June. Typical!

- rcbashedcr, El Paso, US

Feb 012016

Q5

The car has been burning extra oil for about 5 months. I have brought it to the dealership twice and they say there are no issues. It is now using an extra quart of oil every 500 miles or 10 days or so. This is truly excessive and I know from this site that Audi has already settled a class action suit for the same issue with other models.

It appears they have agreed to fix the crank shafts and reimbursed people for their costs in that case.

From a cost perspective, this is the equivalent of suddenly have 25% less gas mileage. From an inconvenience stand point, I have been in NH where I couldn't find the appropriate oil and had to make a decision, non-synthetic or drive down a quart.

Anyone else with a Q5 experiencing this issue?

- L B., Andover, MA, USA

Sep 042017

Q5

Unfortunately, closest dealership is 4 hours away. Scheduled for an oil consumption test, which is in 2 parts.

1st, they check for an obvious problem then top off oil.

You then drive for 600-700 miles.

2nd part, you must then return to the service department to measure consumption.

This is a pain because of the distance for service and I know I'm driving with a significant issue.

Total cost just to diagnose problem will be $292.00

- Cindy B., Medford, US

Nov 302015

Q5 2.0L

Purchased the car new from the dealer. It has always consumed oil but late last year the oil consumption jumped. It currently has 90K miles and is using about a quart every 500 miles. Audi has a class action lawsuit settlement but is claiming our car is just out of the extended warranty and because we had it serviced outside of the dealership for a period of time, they prefer to spend their money fixing cars that they maintained (made money on).

Spent a bunch of money to purchase this car and now they say its needs a 8K fix, total junk. Audi's lack of customer service, poor product quality and their larger corporate dishonesty (VW fraud) is disgusting.

- John C., Tacoma, WA, USA

May 202014

Q5 Premium Plus 2.0L Turbo

Bought this 2012 Audi Q5 from a Toyota dealership June 2015 with about 108,000 km / 66,000 miles on the odometer. I can see why the previous owner had traded it in. From the maintenance records left in the car (awesome), I could see that it had started needing oil added (between oil changes) at some point before 74,000 kms / 45,000 miles (when I noticed the first receipt for oil in the previous owner's records). Since I've owned it, the oil consumption has steadily increased from just over 1L/2000 miles to 1L/1000 miles, which is now 'excessive' by Audi's standards. The vehicle had a misfire on cylinder #3 at 54,000 kms / 33,000 miles and then again at 113,700 / 70,000 miles, which resulted in all spark plugs being replaced. This suggests to me, at minimum, that a faulty ring on that cylinder is causing oil loss and a fouled plug. Since oil consumption has increased, I suspect that fouled plugs will be required periodically as well.

From my power googling on the topic, even though this oil consumption problem was supposed to have been rectified by the 2012 model year, have been able to determine that my vehicle, built in Oct/2011, has one of the faulty engines (engine code CAEB). In my complaints at the Audi dealership thus far, the initial numb/dumb "we've never seen that problem" response has given way to talk of an oil consumption test at my cost, but as yet no offer to assist in getting Audi to foot the ring job. But that was when my oil consumption was not yet excessive by Audi's standards. But now it is, so when I bring it back, I will be more insistent on getting them to help me fix this manufactures defect at their cost. I see from the online literature on this that Audi response seems to range from all costs covered to part-covered. This car has been meticulously Audi serviced since new, so they cannot come up with any excuses. I have a friend who had experienced the same oil consumption problem with a 2009 Audi A4 – it was using a litre every 200 miles by the time Audi gave in to a ring job. We'll see how it goes. I will update this post one way or the other, but if they don't fix it, I will be dumping it. The real shame of this is the negative impact this problem has on other mechanical components, such as the turbo and exhaust/emission systems. Even if they fix the rings so there is no more oil consumption, these other components will no doubt be gummed up to some extent.

- Chris W., Calgary, AB, Canada

May 162016

Q5 2.0t

I noticed an excessive oil consumption over a year ago but the dealer led me to believe no one else had this issue. Over the past few months the issue seems to get worst - 1/2 quart every 2000 miles. I called the dealer but they told me I would have to pay for the repairs although Audi knows of the issue. Called Audi Customer Service and after checking my VIN they told me the same, although it is well known the problem was fixed mid year of that model year. I was about to purchase another Audi later this year but it would seem it would be a poor decision on my part: love the product but hate the fact Audi does not stand behind their product on a known issue.

- rperreault, Grand Rapids, MI, USA

Apr 012015

Q5 2.0tiptronic

It came to my attention at 70,000 miles that I had to occasionally add oil between oil changes. At 95,000 miles the oil consumption increased. Currently at 100,000 miles oil consumption increased to a quart of oil every 1000 miles. Two auto repair businesses, including Shearer Audi of South Burlington Vermont, have looked at my car. Each repair business tells me that there are two costly possibilities to fix the car. The bottom line is that it seems to need a new engine block and pistons and all. It seems that Shearer Audi Service Rep should have warned me that there might be a problem with the oil consumption before my Audi’s warranty was up.

It also seems that the 2012 Q5 should have been included in the class action oil consumption lawsuit. Audi has been aware of this defect for years and yet the 2012 2.0T engine does not seem to be redesigned to fix the problem.

I owned a 2001 Acura MDX for 12 years and put 289,000 miles on the car. It never had such a crazy expensive repair.

- Susan B., Shelburne, VT, USA