ANNOUNCEMENT: The Car Book 2018 is now online!

2006 BMW X5 seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 BMW X5:

2006 BMW X5 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 5)

Aug 292018

X5

Front passenger air bag mat sensor warning light came on. Defective mat sesnor has been replaced and service at BMW of las vegas on 2 separate ocassions at 44,794 and 67845 miles 6-15-2011 and 5-14-2014 respectively under warranty and at owners cost. This vehicle was produced on 8-22-2006 but was not part of the recall. The vehicle currently has 130,000 miles.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Jan 012017

X5

My passenger airbag is defective due to micro cracks in the weight sensor mat.

- North Little Rock, AR, USA

Mar 152017

X5

The contact owns a 2006 BMW X5. The contact stated that while the vehicle was parked, it rained and water entered through the sunroof and created moisture in the vehicle. The air bag warning light then illuminated. The contact believed that the air bag warning light illuminating was related to the water entering the vehicle. The vehicle was not taken to a dealer or mechanic independent. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 100,000.

- New Hyde Park, NY, USA

Feb 102017

X5

1) the air bag light does not go off. It stays on. Air bags engage but light is just as bright as can be. 2) ignition switch security latch does not release. Have to smack steering wheel after turning off alarm to place key into ignition slot.

- Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Feb 212017

X5

The front passenger air bag has gone out for third time in the nine years that I have owned this vehicle.

- Tehachapi, CA, USA

Jan 142017

X5

I have been informed while car shopping that my 2006 BMW X5 has a recall for the seat belts but I have never been notified of that recall. I am disappoint that the manufacturer seem to be taking this recall lightly but lives are at risk. What is the plan to resolve this issue?

- Houston, TX, USA

Nov 152016

X5 6-cyl

My vehicle / VIN should be included in the recall campaign no. 13V-564: "front passenger air bag seat occupancy sensor mat." My vehicle is part of the model year 2006 X5 sav's that has the defect. But my VIN is not being recognized in the recall and is experiencing the exact defect. The air bag warning lamp on the instrument cluster and the front "passenger air bag off" lamp in the overhead console are illuminated at the same time. The sensor has become damaged over time due to the frequency of front passenger seat usage. BMW ag has decided that the defect, which relates to motor vehicle safety, exists in the model year 2006 X5's. when I contacted BMW usa they told me my vehicle was part of the recall but they had the last digit in my VIN as a "2" instead of a "3". the rest of the VIN was the same. The VIN with the last digit as a "2" was the exact model as my vehicle (year, color, inside and out, and equipment). But for some reason my VIN is missing from the recall. Why is my VIN not part of the recall if it is the same vehicle (year and model) as others that are part of the recall" how do I have my vehicle / VIN added to the recall campaign no. 13V-564"

- Manasquan, NJ, USA

Feb 012016

X5

The contact owns a 2006 BMW X5. While driving 40 mph, the contact experienced a flat tire. Upon driving to the side of the road to check the tire, the passenger side curtain air bag inadvertently deployed without warning. The vehicle was not towed and was able to be driven to an independent mechanic, but was unable to diagnose the failure. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 80,000.

- Battlefield, MO, USA

Jun 012014

X5

Passenger seat air bag sensor recalled several years ago by BMW. Was told that I would be advised when parts are available. To date BMW has not made the parts available to the dealerships so the problem cannot be corrected. This has been close to two years.

- Racine, WI, USA

Feb 042016

X5

Passenger airbag is off and remains off with a passenger wearing seatbelts, I am the new owner and it was like this when I got it, previous owner never had passengers so wasnt aware it was not working, looked up recall info and there is a recall for that year and model is there anyway I can get it fixed under the recall

- Altha, FL, USA

Jun 062015

X5

The contact owns a 2006 BMW X5. After the vehicle was started, the front passenger side air bag off warning light illuminated. In addition, the failure occurred when the seat was occupied. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 13V564000 (air bags). The failure mileage was 99,999.

- Posen, IL, USA

Jan 022010

X5

The contact owns a 2006 BMW X5. While operating the vehicle, the air bag light would illuminate. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the air bag detection mat was defective. The vehicle was repaired, but the failure recurred approximately 4 1/2 years later. The manufacturer was notified of the failure and the contact was informed that the VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 13V564000 (air bags). The contact indicated that the vehicle experienced the same failure listed in the recall. The vehicle was not repaired a second time. The failure mileage was 49,407.

- Metairie, LA, USA

Nov 012015

X5

When a passenger is seated in the right front seat, the airbag warning light stays on and the passenger airbag off light stays on. Also, seatbelt warning does not work for passenger or driver seat

- Olympia, WA, USA

Nov 052015

X5

Passenger air bag sensor defective related to recall 13V564000. Defective sensor mat causes airbag to be turned off at all times. Called BMW they stated to take vehicle to dealership before the end of 2015. Dealer would not honor recall for this vehicle.

- Spring Valley, CA, USA

Dec 132013

X5

The passenger side air bag off warning light came on and stays on. The dealer reset the computer. Light went off. The failure recurred again in a few months. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the sensor needed to be replaced. I was informed that my VIN did not meet the recall for replacing the failed mat sensor although other 2006 BMW X5S were recalled for that same failure. The warning light is presently on. I have read of many examples of the same problem. The aging mat become brittle and cracks breaking the circuit. BMW needs to send me a letter and replace my passenger seat mat sensor for free before I have an accident and the passenger is injured.

- Clemmons, NC, USA

Jan 012013

X5

Recall listed for seat sensor mat for several model year BMW. I have a 2006 BMW X5 and the air bag light comes on intermittently(more on than off actually. I have read the recall notice for seat mat failure, however my VIN is not listed. I have read several similar complaints on your site from other BMW owners saying there VIN was not included either. How many complaints have to be filed before the recall is expanded" is the recall by seat sensor model" since my 2006 BMW X5 is not listed( others are), was a different seat sensor used in mine" where can I find information on the seat sensor used in my model"

- Oak Ridge, TN, USA

Dec 162014

X5

The contact owns a 2006 BMW X5. The contact stated that the passenger side air bag warning light remained illuminated. The failure recurred multiple times. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the sensor needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 114,000.

- North Wood, OH, USA

Jan 152014

X5

The contact owns a 2006 BMW X5. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 13V564000 (air bags) however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was notified of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Waipahu, HI, USA

Jun 022014

X5

We received an important safety recall from BMW in June 2016 that we needed to replace the passenger side front air bag immediately as the air bag does not work as part of the "recall campaign no. 13V-564: Front passenger air bag seat occupancy sensor mat." We immediately contacted the perillo BMW dealership in Chicago (1035 North clark street, Chicago, il 60610, (312) 981-0000) where we purchased the car. Over the following six months, we called monthly to inquire about whether they had the replacement seat to fix the car. Perillo actually had us bring the car in two separate times only to tell us each time that they didn't have the part needed for our type of repair. We happened to have the worst possible outcome where the sensor mat is broken and the air bag is disabled on the passenger side of the vehicle. The condition of the car makes it very dangerous for anyone to sit in the front passenger seat. We live in Chicago and therefore drive on highways and in heavy traffic frequently. I am now pregnant with our second child so we absolutely have to have this fixed before the new baby comes in April 2015. Since we last brought the car in this fall, we have called perillo non stop to inquire and each time they say they don't have the part. It is not only a terrible customer service experience but it puts our family at risk every time we drive the car. Perillo remains unhelpful and unresponsive so we are filing a report nationally.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Jun 022014

X5 6-cyl

In January of 2014, I received a letter telling me that my vehicle needed the front passenger seat air bag sensor mat fixed. They went on to say that they would let me know when the parts came in. Next, in June of 2014, they sent me a letter that the parts are in and to schedule the work. I have now taken my vehicle back multiple times and they are saying that they still don't have the parts. I have called BMW corporate and no one will help me get this problem fixed...they just keep giving me the run around...

- Bratenahl, OH, USA