ANNOUNCEMENT: The Car Book 2018 is now online!

2010 Buick Enclave engine problems: timing chain stretched

Timing Chain Stretched

9.3

$3,130

1. replace timing chain (11 reports)
  3. replace engine (1 reports)
2010 Buick Enclave engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Buick Enclave:

2010 Buick Enclave Owner Comments

Mar 262018

Enclave CXL 3.6L Sidi V6

Never ever buy a used Buick Enclave from 2010. Purchased 11/1/2017 from local dealership (believe they threw a party after I left with this piece of junk). 5 months later check engine light comes on with a codeP0008, engine ignition systems. Talk with local mechanic said most likely is stretched timing belt & told to go to Buick dealership because some repairs of this issue covered under an extended warranty campaign from Buick. Dealer checked VIN# & this is not covered even though its the same issue that was recalled by Buick & fixed in 2008-2009 models that had this motor in it.

Dealer more than happy to make $2,500 fix & said they did a lot of these. Contacted Buick Customer Care & was told that vehicle was out of warranty & nothing they could do, they were 'sorry'. I'm sorry too. Sorry that I purchased a vehicle that was engineered to fail. Sorry that Buick nor the dealership will do the right thing & fix this lemon out of their own pockets (I have other problems I will be reporting on with this vehicle). And sorry that I didn't do the research before I bought this money pit. Just type in 2010 Buick Enclave problems & the lists & reports are virtually endless.Sorry Buick, unless you make this right, you've lost this customer

- Jeff S., Kalida, US

Apr 142018

Enclave CLX 3.6L V6

This is BS that GM has known of this problem for years and has not taken responsibility. I bought this Enclave "certified" with 39,000 and have since put on 50,000 miles over 4 years. To have a $3,200 issue, that apparently has been addressed for prior year 3.6L engines, is not acceptable. When discussing with Tier 2 GM customer service they told me they would discuss with the dealer - Why the dealer? You have an engineering problem! I'm seeing this documented all over the various blogs. There has to be enough for a class action suit if GM isn't going to take responsibility. I'm now more concerned since I bought a 2017 Colorado with the 3.6L engine. Is it just a matter of time for a $3,200 stretched timing chain job there too?

- T H., Columbus, US

Jan 252018

Enclave LX2 3-2 V6

General Motors was aware of the problem since 2007 and continued to manufacture with the problem in future models and offers no relief to consumers with this exorbitant cost to repair estimated at $3400.

We were delighted with the car when we bought it and spent more than we had intended because it was so superior to any other SUV's we had driven.

We are retired and purchased this car expecting it to last us through our retirement years. We do not have the kind of retirement income to be able to incur this kind of expense so will need to purchase a car from a more reputable manufacturer.

- Donald D., North Reading, MA, US

Mar 222018

Enclave CXL2 3.6L V6

80,000 miles on vehicle, should not have to replace timing chains.

- Wayne P., Burnsville, US

Jan 292018

Enclave LX 3.6L V6

I have contacted Buick and started a ticket thru the Help Line. Waiting on a call back. I have read a lot about this and it seems that Buick has had an issue with this motor for a couple years. Sorry but at 70k having timing chain issues is not right.

- Michael C., Great Bend, US

Dec 262017

Enclave CXL 3.6L

WTF!!!!! This is the second time I have had to replace the timing chain and it SUCKS. Are they using rubber chains or what? 88,000 highway miles and the timing chain needs replacement again. I love the vehicle but this is unacceptable.

- Juan K., Altura, MN, US

Oct 142015

Enclave CXL 3.6L

This boggles the mind, I have never seen a timing chain go out this early on a vehicle with mostly highway miles.

- Juan K., Altura, MN, US

Oct 012017

Enclave CL

Supposed to be fixed for 2010, but not corrected. Do not buy this vehicle used.

- Mike M., Mogadore`, US

Jun 012017

Enclave Cx Sport 3.6L V6

On June 1, 2017 while trying to make a right hand turn, my car stalls while in the middle of the intersection. Thank goodness there were no cars coming. I tried starting my car and it would start, but when I put it in drive it would stall and then not start at all. My granddaughter and I pushed it out of the intersection and then with the help of a policeman pushed further out of the way. Had my car towed to my mechanic. On June 5 he informed it was my timing chain. Called GM on June 5 and was told had to be checked by a certified dealer

Sso I had my car towed to Reedman Toll in Langhorne who sold me the car and repaired the first timing chain issue March 20, 2015 which led to the water pump and then the power steering pump. So now 30,00 miles later and the timing chain goes again only this time there is more damage. Technician removed the Bank 2 camshaft cover and found cylinder 2,4 and 6 on the intake side of camshaft rockers are damaged and the camshaft if scored. Tech also removed valve cover and found the valves are also bent. Reedman is not conceding the timing chain caused these problems but are say the other problems caused the timing chain issue.

Both GM and Reedman claim that the timing chain they installed on March 20 2015 only had a 1 year warranty therefore are unable to do anything for me. Reedman offered a discount where I would be responsible for $2476.00 plus tax but the last repair they did brought about other problem. My car as of today June 24 is still at Reedmans and still unrepaired. Two timing chain issues on a 2010 Buick Enclave and GM doesn't think there is a problem.

- Asha C., Warminster, PA, US

Feb 152017

Enclave

If you buy a 2010 Buick Enclave don't expect Buick to help you. The engine and trans has to come out to repair and Buick engineers

designed it that way. Stretched timing chains have been a problem since 2007 and they know it!!! But will they help...HELL NO!!!

Why? Why won't they make it a recall?? IT SHOULD BE A RECALL!!! AND PAID FOR BY BUICK!

- furiousbuickowner, Jacksonville, US

Dec 022015

Enclave CXL 3.2L

THROUGH RESEARCH i FOUND THAT THIS PROBLEM WAS ADDRESSED IN THE 2007-2009 MODELS ENCLAVES BUT HOWEVER DUE TO THE FACT THAT THERE ARE OTHERS LIKE MYSELF EXPERIENCING THE SAME PROBLEM IT IS OBVIOUS THAT THE MANUFACTURER USED THE SAME PARTS IN THE NEXT YEAR'S MODEL. i BELIEVE THAT THEY SHOULD STAND BEHIND THEIR PRODUCT AND THE GM NAME AND TAKE CARE OF THIS PROBLEM FOR THEIR CUSTOMERS

- Kenneth W., Irving, TX, USA

Jun 062016

Enclave 3.6L V6

We purchase our 2010 Buick Enclave in April 2012 from a car dealership with about 55,000KM on it. We have completed all of the required service calls on a regular basis and we have had no unusual issues with our vehicle and we were very happy with it.

Then one day after starting it, it idled a bit rough. The next day the check engine light came on and the car turned off unexpectedly and then would not restart. Upon having it towed to our mechanic, he informed us that the timing chain engine had to be replaced. The Enclave has 135,000 KM.

After researching this particular issue, I have learned that the Enclave had an issue with the timing chain from 2007-2009 and offered an extended warranty until 193,000KM. Perhaps this was not fixed in the early 2010 models?

They have completed the timing chain replacement and the cost was $4261 CDN. Then the engine was making a knocking noise and they suspect that when the timing chain streched, parts got into the engine and then we had to have our engine replaced with a used engine for a cost of $5650. Total cost to fix our 2010 Buick Enclave was $9911! CDN

Needless to say, we are not very happy about this especially as it appears to be an issue in the past and I suspect our enclave was made with 2009 materials and therefore should be covered under the same 2009 extended warranty.

Essentially they have a faulty timing chain whose extended warranty didn’t cover enough years and ours stretched and ended up damaging the engine and the total repair was $9911

- Monique M., Waterloo, ON, Canada

Jun 072016

Enclave 3.6L V6

After paying $4200 CDN to have our timing engine replace, the actual engine had to be replaced also! Apparently pieces of the timing chain entered the engine and damaged it. We got a used engine and it still cost us $5500 CDN. So now we've spent $9700 to fix our car. Upon contacting GM, they said they can't do anything for us since we didn't get it fixed at a certified GM dealer! Who gets their cars fixed there unless it's under warranty! This is extremely frustrating as there was an extended warranty on the timing chain for 2007 -2009 and we have a 2010...I suspect it's the same issue and all of this should have been covered completely by the warranty!

- Monique M., Waterloo, ON, Canada

Apr 012016

Enclave

I'm the original owner to a 2010 Buick Enclave. Have had numerous things replaced in the past 2 years. Unfortunately, now that the warranty is up, my check engine came on. Took to GM dealer, said timing chain needs replaced along with fuel tank pressure sensor and right a/c temp actuator needs replaced. Total cost is $3,330. I've spoken to numerous mechanics and they told me a timing chain should not need replaced at 58,000 miles. Filed a complaint with GM but they will do nothing! Oh, and my driver's heated seat hasn't worked in over a year, this happened a month after my warranty ran out and was told would cost $400 to repair!

DO NOT BUY A GM VEHICLE!!!

- Holly K., North Canton, OH, USA

Jul 312015

Enclave V6

I purchased vehicle used at certified GM dealer. purchased extended warranty. Have had the enclave in shop multiple times for multiple other issues and recalls. Had the motor replaced in the lift gate, DVD navigation system replaced and other things. The check engine light comes on. NOW, the extended warranty is out and took to Gunn Buick and they tell me timing chain is stretched, brake master cylinder leaking, need front end alignment, oil pressure sensor gauge needs to all be fixed. So I think it's only 5 years old that can't be a timing chain. So I spend several months getting second opinions and sure enough keeps coming back to stretched timing chain. So I call up couple GM dealerships and discuss this and am told by one their is such a thing as GM assistance when out of warranty. Also, find out that there has been a change in the timing chain since my year model. Also, some recalls just not my vin. Go figure. So I GM directly about this and am basically told they will not pay for it to be tore down and cannot say if they will indeed help with repairs due to mileage and warranty status. So much for GM assistance. They tell me they will open up claim and after its torn down then a decision will be made as to what repairs they may or may not over. Needless to say I'm extremely furious. Did i I mention the glove box fell of shortly after purchase but that's not covered under warranty, the handle from the lift gate pulled right off shortly after purchase again not covered under warranty. The car is falling apart and I still owe 20,000! After the dealer my husband replaced the oil sensor and spark plug and coil #4. There are other cosmetic things falling off as well like air vent cover, seat pull covers. Crazy this is the WORST car I have ever owned. DON"T buy a BUICK!! Owe and now the air conditioning is blowing hot on drivers side only. The list goes on and on....

- Sherrie P., San Antonio, TX, USA