8.8

$3,900

1. replace timing chain (4 reports)
  3. replace engine (1 reports)
2011 Buick Enclave engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Buick Enclave:

2011 Buick Enclave Owner Comments

Nov 202018

Timing chain ... failed.

Air conditioner ... failed.

We pay 40 thousand for this it is not fair we pay that money to get a good car without problems and we get this ..i get the carfax and found that truck was in the shop for the some problem they change already the timing chain and oil pump in 2013 how they sell this car ...maybe because we are poor people

- Laura A., Mount Prospect, US

Mar 012019

Enclave CXL 3.6L V6

I love the Enclave but this engine was engineered poorly as this is a well-known issue. Unfortunately, 15 months after having the timing chains replaced, the engine blew at 150k miles. Don't go over 3000 miles on your oil changes and don't follow the engine oil life indicator.

- Mike F., Sussex, WI, US

Nov 142019

Enclave CXL 3.6L

The timing chains on a 2011 Buick Enclave can't even guarantee you 60,000 miles without breaking and then you have to pay thousands of dollars to fix it after paying thousands of dollars to own the vehicle. As soon as the timing chain stretches and the engine starts knocking and malfunctioning the metal piston rings send little shavings into your motor and end up in the oil pan.. What's the point aside from being dangerous and overwhelmingly expensive.

- Jessica J., Fargo, ND, US

Jul 072019

Enclave LX 3.6L

My 2011 Buick Enclave with 102306 miles started knocking really bad, then died while at highway speed. I towed it home. After scanning the vehicle and reading the codes, I did some research and found a few TSBs about what was going on. My dealership stated that they couldn't find any TSBs covering what went wrong. They stated that i needed to replace both camshafts, the timing chain, and 2 valves and that it would cost roughly $2800. This quote didn't cover what other problems that they might find once they got into my engine. I'm about to head back up to the dealership with my list of TSBs to give to their incompetent service manager. Under no circumstances should you have catastrophic engine failure at 102,000 miles!!!

- Anthony F., Burleson, US

Jun 032019

Enclave LX 3.6L V6

I purchased this vehicle used on 04/08/2019. It had 87697 miles. I had the oil changed at 89000 miles and again at 93000. On the day it quit, I was driving along with no issues when suddenly the car made an awful screeching sound then lost power and cut off. I had it towed to my mechanic. Initial diagnosis was that it had jumped timing. The timing, (entire timing system including pulleys, chains, and tensioners), was replaced.

When it jumped timing it bent valves which made grooves in the head. Now the entire engine has to be replaced. The estimated cost of repairs is $4000 using a rebuilt engine. So, repairs have been put on hold pending acquiring the funds to pay for it. I have since learned that there was a known problem with this engine that Buick has kept silent.

Now I have a very expensive yard ornament on which I have a $390 a month payment. Buick really should step up and fix these problems. This was my first and last Buick purchase.

- Karen M., LaGrange, US

Apr 182018

Enclave CXL 5.4L

Had in shop to replace timing. Lasted a month. Now car shuts down and won't even attempt to start. Shop says not their fault. Put key in and it will get stuck. Turn it and the engine light appears, then turn to start. Drains battery.

- William J., Sidney, US

Mar 012019

Enclave CXL 3.6L

I can't believe that a timing chain goes bad at 175k miles. And I read that Buick Enclave has this known problem and Buick doesn't want to cover that.

- Louis N., Waynesboro, US

May 022018

Enclave CXL2 3.6L V6

Ridiculous to have an engine malfunction of this magnitude at 119,000 miles. I bought this Enclave because of the comfort, but it has been such a maintenance nightmare that I will have to go back to foreign manufacturers. That is after I finish paying off this stupid repair. Even my BMW's have given me over 300k on an engine. 2 toyota vans 204,000 and 149,000 no issues and no AC problems. The whole dash had to be torn apart at less than 100,000 on the Enclave to the tune of over $1200. So now they tell me that my timing chain jumped a tooth from stretch. Suggestions, repair if possible, replace motor with remaining warranty. Never again, GM stands for Gigantic Malfunction.

- Tim C., Johnstown, OH, US