- August 18: GM Hydra-Matic Transmission Lawsuit Filed in Michigan news | 4 days ago
- June 25: GM Takata Petition Says No Airbag Recall Is Necessary news | 58 days ago
- June 21: GM Hard Brake Pedals Investigated in Canada and U.S. investigations | 62 days ago
- June 20: GM 8-Speed Transmission Problems Cause Lawsuit news | 63 days ago
- June 19: GM Truck Transmission Lawsuit Partly Dismissed news | 64 days ago
Chevrolet Recall 02008: GM/Ignition Switch
1996 Chevrolet Cavalier
If the switch is damaged, a fire could occur in the steering column, even with the engine off and the key removed.
Electrical System — Ignition — Switch
- On certain passenger vehicles. If the engine fails to start and the driver holds the key in the "start" position for an extended period, high current flows through the ignition switch, and sometimes produces enough heat to melt internal switch parts.
- Dealers will install a relay kit in these vehicles to prevent high current from flowing through the ignition switch. Owner notification began March 27, 2002. Owners who take their vehicles to an authorized dealer on an agreed upon service date and do not receive the free remedy within a reasonable time should contact Chevrolet at 1-800-222-1020, Pontiac at 1-800-762-2737, Buick at 1-800-521-7300, or Oldsmobile at 1-800-442-6537.
- Documents (6)
Click a tab for more information.