2018 Chevrolet Colorado transmission problems: shudder, vibration

Shudder, Vibration

2018 Chevrolet Colorado (Page 1 of 2)

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Chevrolet dealer.

7.7

2. replace torque converter (7 reports)
  3. flush trasmission and replace transmission fluid (3 reports)
  4. transmission flush (1 reports)
2018 Chevrolet Colorado transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2018 Chevrolet Colorado:

2018 Chevrolet Colorado Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Aug 192019

Colorado LX V6

I have a 2018 Chevy Colorado that I bought new from dealer 8 months ago. The dealer had used it as a service loaner and it had 3,000 miles on it. I now have 15,000 miles on it. It has begun to shudder constantly when accelerating or decelerating. I contacted service dept at dealer and they said they know what it is but could not give me an appt. for 2 weeks. I am afraid if I drive it. It will cause further damage but they don't seem to care!"

I am trying to be included in current class action suits already filed for this. If not, I plan to pursue starting one

Update from Sep 3, 2019: I took my truck in instead of waiting for appointment. The service department was much more responsive than the person I talked to on the phone who said she could give me an earlier appoitnment and she could not guarantee when it could be fixed if I brought it in when I requested an earlier appointment. The service manager was very responsive when I just brought it in. They did a transmission flush which so far has worked so I am satisfied at this time

- Nita B., Alexandria, US

May 242019

Colorado LT 3.2L V6

Well this is disappointing, I have noticed a shudder on my 2018 Colorado for a few months now. It started when I was driving on a slight hill at 75 mph on the interstate. Over the last few months it has gotten worse and I can feel it now driving from 45 mph and up. It seems worse in the overdrive gear. I finally had someone look at it, and they immediately said that it was the torque converter. I plan on calling my local dealer and scheduling an appointment but it sounds like this will only be a temporary fix. Fingers crossed this will be covered on the powertrain warranty. I wish I had done more research before buying this truck, I bought it used at 25k.

- Nick C., Shreveport, LA, US

May 122019

Colorado WT 3.6L V6

Same as others on here with the vibration or "driving on rumble strips" problem.

I notice a vibration or rumble from what feels to be the rear end of my truck (2018 Chevy Colorado WT, Crew Cab, 3.6L V6 - tow package, automatic transmission) in the 1500-2000 rpm range at constant speed/accelerator pressure. When I let off the gas or accelerate it stops and doesn’t resume unless the tach drops back down to 1500. No lift, or level, or new wheels or tires; truck is stock. I notice this at worst times around the 35-45 mph range but notice it at higher speeds as well, but agoing only under the conditions of constant/steady speed and pressure on the accelerator at the 1500 to 2000 rpm range specifically.

I have dropped the automatic transmission into "manual" mode a few times when this happened to see what gear it is in. It displays 6th gear, but not sure if the problem is isolated to that gear or if it happens at others as well.

I have read the posts on here and in different forums about this and have heard the process of transmission fluid flush, torque converter replacement, transmission replacement. I will contact my dealership tomorrow and will update with what the outcome is.

- Curtis P., Cedar Park, US

Jul 182019

Colorado WT V6

2018 Colorado WT

Mine developed a bad shudder early on. The fluid flush did not solve the problem. They replaced the torque converter and it was good for a while. This past week (26K) it seemed fine until I stopped at a traffic light. When the light turned green the truck would not go. It would rev up but no go. It gradually started to catch and I crept across the intersection. It continued to pickup speed slowly about a mile away from a dealership. I pulled in, they confirmed it was a transmission problem but they could not get parts. Due to the severe parts back-order situation at GM and the shear amount of transmission problems they have a backlog of work and I have to wait 4 to 6 weeks. They would not give me a loaner so I am having to drive it and hope I make it. If it leaves me on the side of the road I will call GM roadside assistance. I have opened a case with GM and they did nothing but put pressure on the dealership which can’t respond. I would take part in a lawsuit! They need to fix the problem and or pull their reliability commercials off the air.

- kbr, Douglasville, US

Jan 072019

Colorado LT V6

I can't say more than what was said regrading the transmission problem. I suffer the same problems vibration between 35- 50mph. The truck tries to down shift and then it up shifts when going up steep hills. I am afraid it's going to stall and I will roll backwards out of control. GM please step up and come up with the answer for the safety of the AMERICAN customer. I bought this vehicle to last my lifetime. I am going on 75 can't buy another car as I bought my wife 2018 Equinox which works real well. HELP US!

- Carol T., south new berlin, NY, US

Apr 152019

Colorado LT V6

I took my Chevy Colorado LT into Freedom Chevrolet Dallas, Texas for an oil change and asked them to check for a shudder vibration in the drive train that occurs at 30 MPH up to 70 Mph and is not constant, but will come and go.

The Dealership Service Department found a GM TSB #18-NA-365 that addresses the shudder vibration problem after a #8480818 Diagnostic Test. They replaced the transmission fluid and a part #1941757 (unknown part), road tested my vehicle and it seems that they have fixed my problem.

There was notation on my invoice stating: "Performed transmission fluid change, verified repair, shudder improved, customer will need to drive 200 miles reach operating temperature drive cycle for full effect."

I drove home on the Interstate about 12 miles at an average speed of 70 MPH with an outside temp of 93 degrees and it seems ok now.

Anyone experiencing this problem with their Colorado should take this Service Bulletin info with them for a quick resolution. GM TSB #18-NA-365.

- Don N., Dallas, TX, US

Apr 012019

Colorado ZR2 V6

Transmission shuddering. I have the same issue with the transmission. I took it to the dealer and they said that they could not reproduce the problem. If you don't drive the truck everyday like I do it's not real easy to notice the vibration due to that fact it's a 4 wheel drive truck with aggressive tires on it. I think Chevrolet needs to do a recall and fix the problem!

- Scott B., Albuquerque, NM, US

Dec 112018

Colorado Crewcab 3.6L

HAVE BEEN TO DEALERSHIP 5 TIMES THEY CHANGED THE TRANS. FLUID 3 TIMES IN SAME DAY OK FOR ABOUT 80 MILES . TOOK IT BACK I HAD PUT AFTER MARKET HEADLIGHTS AND HAD AN AUTOMATIC START SYSTEM INSTALLED . THEY TOLD ME AT MY DEALER WERE I PURCHASED THE TRUCK THAT WAS THE REASON MY TRUCK IS DOING THESE THINGS . NOW ALL THESE OTHER OWNERS ARE HAVING THE SAME PROBLEMS THEY TOLD ME THERE'S NOTHING THEY CAN DO TO FIX IT ?

- Rock S., Louisville, KY, US

Jun 052019

Colorado ZR2 V6

2018 Colorado ZR2 - 8spd Transmission

Transmission shuddering. - Identified variable speed occurrence could happen at 25 or 65. Unrelated to tires/steering or to shock cavitation or rough roads. Happens on smooth or rough roads. Vehicle has not been off-road. Varied inconsistency. More apparent when engine is cold shifting from 1st to 2nd to 3rd then will dissipate. Shifts hard 1st to 2nd and sometimes 3rd when engine is cold. Once warm shifting is smoother but shuddering still occurs. More apparent when engine is warmed at steady RPM/Speed once in 6th - 8th.

Variable speed occurrence - 25 - 65. Began noticing it after about 500 miles. No consistency so was unsure if it was the road I was on or something else. Tires were within spec regarding air pressure/balance. Random issue with no visible consistency other than previously stated. Vehicle has not exceeded 70mph. Vehicle has not towed any significant weight, 5x8 flatbed unladen. Less than 10 miles on surface streets, 1 trip only. Issue occurs both before and after towing. Towing is unrelated as shuddering occurred prior to towing.

- Steve C., Garden Grove, CA, US

Apr 302019

Colorado LT V6

Problem I am experiencing is about the same as everybody else. It just started at 1400 miles. Chevrolet seems in capable of fixing the issues. I have started the lemon law process. I have had the oil changed and torque converter changed. Chevrolet is about to put in a new transmission, however I doubt this will fix the problem. It may be a temporary fix but will return shortly. Chevrolet needs to recall these vehicles and install a proper transmission that is reliable. The worst part of the issue is a safety concern when it decides to lunch or walk down shift. It is unsafe to drive and responds in a non-consistent manner, let alone the annoyance of the vibration that feels like you’re driving on the attention strips on the highway.

- dcnmb, North Myrtle Beach, SC, US

May 252019

Colorado 8 Speed

Angry...very!!!! Chevrolet Colorado safety issue....transmission hakes and shudders almost to the point of losing control and causing an accident!!! Chevrolet could care less..doesn't acknowledge the issue although it's been proven, they know about it. WHAT ARE THEY WAITING ON A DEADLY ACCIDENT TO OCCUR? SHAME ON YOU CHEVROLET... AND YOU WANT US TO CONTINUE BUYING YOUR VEHICLES?? WRONG!!!

- badchevycolorado, Wilmington, US

May 202019

Colorado LT V6

My 2018 Colorado LT V6 started to shudder around 5000 miles. It slowly got worse. I took it to the dealer May 20/ 2019 with a little over 7000 miles. They had it all day and now they need it another day to flush the transmission. They do not have a car for me to drive !

- David M., Middlefield, OH, US

Jul 312018

Colorado LX 3.2L V6

AT FIRST I THOUGHT IT WAS THE ROADS IN THE AREA BEING IN BAD SHAPE. ITS A MODERATE VIBRATION LIKE RUNNING OVER THE LANE RUMBLE STRIPS ON THE HIGHWAY. IT HAS OCCURRED AT SPEEDS FROM 30 TO 70 MPH, BUT IS MOST NOTICEABLE BETWEEN 57 AND 65 MPH. SEEMS TO OCCUR MORE DURING SLIGHT ACCELERATION AND DECELERATION. CALLED DEALER, AND I HAVE AN APPOINTMENT TO "CHANGE THE TRANSMISSION FLUID". I'M AN ENGINEER AND I CAN'T IMAGINE HOW THAT WILL DO A DAMN THING.

- Marc M., Dayton, US

Apr 232019

Colorado Work Truck V6

I first noticed the vibration around town, when accelarating between 30-50 mph. I took it on a long trip and noticed it under slower accelerations and especially between 1700 and 1900 rpms when the transmission shifted down while going uphill. I worked for GM for 31 years and simply cannot believe that they have not stepped up to this problem as many owners are complaining. What happens when the warranty runs out and a transmission costs the consumer? This is how market share is lost. This is an otherwise awesome truck, for now.

Update from May 17, 2019: A local dealership changed out the transmission fluid 4 days ago. So far the problem has gone away.

- ., Santa Rosa Beach, FL, US

Apr 272019

Colorado LT V6

Bad shake while driving. Feels like going over a rumble strip although on a smooth road. Bought truck used with 7200 miles. Took it to tire shop had tires rebalanced thinking that would help. Did not fix the problem.

- Brian P., Angleton, US

Jun 212018

Colorado WT Crew 3.6L

Vibration and shuddering since bought in May, 2018. Driving down road/highway feels like you cross into breakdown lane with vibration like road guards. At stop signs and yielding, vehicle will lunge a little forward but kick back. Already had 4 wheel drive fixed on it this winter. Headed back to garage 4/23/19.

- Cathy S., Carver, MA, US

Jan 012018

Colorado Z-71 3.6L V6

As soon as I mentioned the problem, the service advisor said they needed to change the transmission fluid...not test drive or anything. That didn't fix the problem.

Then they changed the torque convertor. Still didn't fix the problem.

They changed the fluid again, with a different fluid this time. My truck is worse than ever now.

Spoke to Thomas at Chevrolet customer assistance department. He suggested I take the truck back to the dealer and trade it for something else! He's gotta be crazy to think I'm going to go back to the same dealer that has been letting me down for over a year and take a huge hit on a trade, especially now that I know GM is aware of the problems with this transmission and they keep selling them anyway. They should be ashamed of themselves for doing this to people.

- Rick P., Boca Raton, FL, US

Dec 142018

Colorado WT 3.6L

Dec2018: dealer replaced torque converter, triple flush.

Shudder came back less than a thousand miles, waited until mid February for new fluid.

Feb 2019: truck flushed with new fluid, truck never felt right.

March 2019: shudder returned, dealer acknowledged, GM won't fix

Update from Jul 31, 2019: May 2019: Dealer replaced transmission, transmission still shudders.

July 2019: Dealer flushed transmission, truck still shuddering

July 2019: Start buyback process

- kcollins2007, Wesley Chapel, US

Dec 262018

Colorado ZR2 3.2L V6

Same issue as previously noted by others. Shuddering under light acceleration between 30-65 mph. The only response from my dealer when I reported it was, "Call back in about a week and we might have a fix." In the meantime I don't know if my transmission is coming apart inside or not. At a minimum I think the drivetrain warranty should be extended once a fix is found. Ideally I would like the entire drivetrain replaced. Especially after reading about metal filings found in replaced torque converters. I mean, what's the inside of my engine look like after running with this shuddering?

- William W., Gainesville, US

Jan 242019

Colorado LT V6

Wish more people would have registered complaints about the 2018 Colorados and this shudder problem. We need to report these problems so other people know. I'm just starting down the path that I see others have taken. Dealer says first step is to replace fluid. They referenced Document ID 5181942 Let's hope GM really did come up with a fix.

- jvl920, Janesville, US