3.6

2004 Chevrolet Corvette fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Chevrolet Corvette:

2004 Chevrolet Corvette Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Jul 142019

Corvette

The fuel tank leaks when the engine is running. In 2010, this condition resulted in an additional warranty for the issue that expired in 2014, but I have a lower mileage car (less than 18,000 miles) so the issue did not occur until now. The problem emerged suddenly after fully refilling the fuel tank recently.

- Bellefonte, PA, USA

Jun 192019

Corvette

The contact called on behalf of an owner of a 2004 Chevrolet Corvette. The contact stated that the vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic due to a fuel leak. The mechanic determined that the plastic opening of the fuel tank, which connected a primary tank to the secondary tank hose, was fractured and fuel was leaking. The vehicle needed a new fuel tank and crossover components. The vehicle was not repaired. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 39,000.

- Volcano, HI, USA

Jan 152019

Corvette

I bought a 2004 Corvette used with 67K miles on it. The dealership had only filled the tank to less than half full.,after my first fill up gas poured out from underneath, behind drivers side tire. I paid $ 16,500 for the car, so I took it back to dealer and they said they would repair. After about 10 days I went to dealer and noticed the car had not even moved. He said they did not know how to fix it and they had another dealership in another state that they would need to take it to. I left with the car unrepaired.is there anything I can do ? I believe it is a recall on the crossover tube and the recall has expired. Close to a $1500 to $1800 repair

- Marietta, GA, USA

May 012019

Corvette

There is a known leak in the left fuel tank. My vehicle has symptoms but was never fixed. Vehicle is 15 years old but only 76,000 miles.

- Deland, FL, USA

Jun 012018

Corvette

One day I noticed that my garage had a strong gas smell. Over time, I realized that if my gas tank was approx. Below 1/3 full it did not smell. Chevrolet informed me it was covered for 100,000 miles/10 years whichever comes first. However, I never knew a recall could have a time limit because obviously this is a safety issue. I wrote Chevrolet a certified letter describing my problem with no response. This is a common problem which is confirmed by looking at your site.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Oct 032017

Corvette

Gasoline vapors are leaking from fuel vent and transfer lines, creating an explosion hazard. The problem is more of an issue when parked allowing a spark to ignite the fuel vapors.

- Kings Mtn, NC, USA

Jul 152018

Corvette

Strong fuel smell after filling the gas tank. Goes away once tank is less than 1/2 full as read by the gauge.

- Puyallup, WA, USA

Jul 152018

Corvette

After filling the gas tank strong gas smell coming from fill area but no visible fuel leak the gas smell does not go away after days and many miles driven.

- Round Rock, TX, USA

Mar 052018

Corvette

Takata recall visible gasoline leakage after vehicle hasn┐T been parked over a period of months. Then I began to take notes of what, when, where this leak was occurring, I would fill the tank, park the auto in the garage. The next time I used the vehicle, a noticeable gas odor, spot on the garage floor was noted. I started to place a cardboard under the front end to more readily be able to observe the substance leaking. The odor was unmistakable. Several occurrences N spotting is evident after having parked in my garage. The auto was parked overnight in my garage. I am listing the latest calendar date and photo. I have other dates in my notepad. 2) my seatbelt occasionally will not lock. I hear the click of a seatbelt lock then upon driving away from my home ~,25 miles ~ my seatbelt unlocked through no fault of my own. 3) airbag cannot be checked for effectiveness.

- Bakersfiels, CA, USA

Apr 082018

Corvette

After filling up my vehicle, drove home sat in driveway for a few minutes, adjusted radio stations, I smelled a strong odor of gas, turn vehicle off still smelling gas, looked under driver's side of vehicle and seen a puddle of fluid, put my finger in it and it was gas!, I'm thinking now that's why the used car dealership only put a half a tank of gas in it! purchased this 2004 Corvette back in March 2018 have only put 60 miles on it, it now only has 14,936 miles on it! what could have happened if I parked the car in shopping center parking lot, with a cigarette that just been thrown down?

- Clarksville, TN, USA

Dec 182017

Corvette

Put 15 gallons of gas into tank, immediately noticed gas smell inside car and outside, drove approximately 10 miles and smell increased. Stopped car and immediately saw gas dripping in front of left rear tire and forming a puddle, stopped dripping after 5 minutes or so. Drove to home and let sit until morning, had car towed to Chevrolet dealer that morning. Told by dealer that gas tank is cracked and crossover pipe is defective. Repairs to be near $3000.

- Bokeelia, FL, USA

Oct 022017

Corvette

Fuel leaking from fuel tank when I fuel

- Hutto, TX, USA

May 242017

Corvette

Fuel tank crossover tube has a crack. I found a special coverage #10150 the NHTSA issue in August 2010, but has expired. I contacted GM and asked for assistance, to which they refused. My car has 20K miles on it. I have performed all maintenance, keep it meticulously clean and not drive it recklessly. If I fill up the car there is a noticeable fuel leak to the point there is a puddle under the car. At this point I cannot drive the car for fear of fire and the car will not pass an emission test. I purchased the car in Alaska in 2009 with 9K miles on it. I never received any info regarding the NHTSA #10150 special coverage. The estimated costs of repair is between $3000 to $4500. Is there any assistance the NHTSA can provide?

- Vancouver, WA, USA

Oct 092017

Gasoline smell

- Desert Aire, WA, USA

Jul 192017

Corvette

Driver side gas tank has been leaking for about a month am having heavy fuel smell when car is parked and after fueling

- Yuba City, CA, USA

May 042017

Corvette

Car began gushing fuel out of top of tank once fuel system pressurized. Hired rollback to take to mechanic who informed that crossover line was bad. Mechanic also stated that there was a recall for this issue. I am second owner of car, which only has 2150 miles on it, so knew nothing about it. I would like to be reimbursed for this expense!

- Palmer, AK, USA

Dec 012016

Corvette

Strong smell of gas when parked in garage, always used carport until now so I never noticed. But now have a garage, but I am afraid of strong fuel smell may be dangerous. Has new gas cap and no gas leak.

- Crosby, TX, USA

Oct 032016

Corvette

I had a strong fuel smell in my garage and a small puddle of fuel on my garage floor. I had gotten a recall notice from GM some time ago, took my car to the dealer at the time and they said they could do nothing unless there was a leak. Now, I have the leak, but GM refuses to fix the problem because some time period has expired. This leak has been repaired by another shop, but I am out over $2,000 for a problem GM knew could cause the car to burn up. I seek for GM to reimburse me for this repair of a critical safety issue.

- Rougemont, NC, USA

Oct 122016

Corvette

Leaving service station after filling car with fuel gas fumes were filling the car. Parked it in garage and next morning garage stunk of gas fumes. Backed car out of garage and saw no fuel leaking but fumes still very bad in car. Called local Chevrolet dealer and they said there was not a recall for this. Husband took car to auto shop and put on hoist, where a wet spot was found. Mechanic said the connector tube between the two gas tanks was wet from the gasoline. No way to take a photo because the area to look up and see the connector is so small.

- Washington, NC, USA

Apr 092012

Corvette

Fuel tank leak after filling tank. Sends cel code for evap system. Fuel leaks from tank onto exhaust pipe. Dealer will not fix. I never received a "recall" notice or bulletin.

- New Braunfels, TX, USA