ANNOUNCEMENT: The Car Book 2018 is now online!

2011 Chevrolet Equinox engine problems: engine ticking with excessive oil consumption

Engine Ticking With Excessive Oil Consumption

2011 Chevrolet Equinox (Page 1 of 2)

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Chevrolet dealer.

7.8

$1,650

2. replace timing chain, balance shaft chain, fuel pump (4 reports)
  3. pistons and timing belt replaced (3 reports)
  4. new car (1 reports)
  5. replace engine (1 reports)
  6. replaced timing chain, valve cover gaskets, tensioner guide (1 reports)
2011 Chevrolet Equinox engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Chevrolet Equinox:

2011 Chevrolet Equinox Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Apr 162018

Equinox LT 2.4L

how many times can I deal with the same sh*t!!!!!

I am always so broke from this damn car, and even if I had the money I don't dare use this piece of sh*t to go anywhere. not to mention how every time it is worked on I am not at work.

- Cindy T., Lindsay, CA, US

Nov 122017

Equinox LT 2.4L

once again i mention oil blowing out of fill hole past cap and once again i am ignored.

- Cindy T., Lindsay, CA, US

Jan 102018

Equinox LT 2.4L

I have to check the oil every month to see if it is low. I even had it in a Chevy shop for a service and they returned it low on oil never even checked it like they are suppose to. Plus they know it burns oil.

- Lisa M., Shirley, US

Jun 182015

Equinox 4cy

I had my car "fixed" by the dealership shortly after it was purchased. I continued to get oil changes within the recommended times and it still burned oil. I moved and took it to the chevy dealer near me who was supposed to rebuild part of the engine to "fix" it this time. When I picked up the car the mechanic told me to check the oil in between changes and add a quart when needed! Second time same issue within 2 years of purchase and still burning oil. I had just had a baby and bought this car to be my daily driver family car. We paid in full and were not expecting to need to get a new car or car payment for at least 10 years.

- Caryn N., Lewiston, MI, US

Aug 252018

Equinox LX 2.4L

When I changed the oil, with in a week there was no oil, causing my engine to knock. I have had to train myself weekly to check my oil, so I would not end up without a car. This ridiculous. Now I have had to replace timing chain, balance shafting chain cam shaft phasers, throttle body for it to still be sucking oil like there was never any.. This car is horrible when it comes to oil efficiency. Has caused more damage than I need.

- Erin S., Indpls, US

Jul 022014

Equinox LT 2.4L

click to see larger images

engine ticking with excessive oil consumption

After the car failed its Oil Consumption Test and the Dealer was obligated to rebuild the lower portion of my motor, piston, rings and timing chain. This problem was just corrected this year. I drove the car up to 60K miles. I had complained to the dealer for 3 years. Finally they tell me they have done 100’s, yes 100’s of these replacements. I said you have been calling me to trade in and buy a new car but not calling me to solve my poor gas mileage, oil loss and poor overall engine performance??? Yes it was covered but what aggravation!

- Art I., Amsterdam, NY, US

May 052014

Equinox LT 2.4L 4 Cl

The warranty covered the cost and lessened the financial hit.

- Scott B., Grand Haven, MI, US

Jun 302016

Equinox LS 2.4L

We purchased this car in October of 2015 used with around 50,000 miles on it. From October of 2015 to June of 2016, this car has been towed or sometimes driven, if possible, back to the dealer no less than 5 times. This last time it was taken in because of power reduced to engine and stabilitrack errors with a check engine light. This would have been the 3rd time these errors have shown up and each time we were told it was a different issue and that it has been "resolved/repaired". When we brought it in to them in June, GM told us that the engine had very little oil in it and that it was damaged beyond repair. We had the oil changed every 3 months plus every time it was brought in to the dealership they supposedly gave us a "courtesy oil change". There are no leaks on our garage floor and with as much attention that this vehicle received from the dealer, not once were we told that the engine oil was low during changes. With no other options we had pay $4000 for a used engine to be installed. We live in a rural part of the state, having to drive 30 miles one way to work and when your vehicle is constantly breaking down, it is extremely stressful and costly. Having to take off of work numerous times so you can be home when someone is coming to tow your vehicle has added to that financial burden and overall stress. Even after the used engine was installed, we had to take it back another 3 times for issues.

Now it's been a little over 5 months and we are checking the oil in this new engine religiously out of fear and have noticed that this thing is burning thru oil like crazy. We have had to add a quart or more every other month when all of the sudden the dreaded engine power reduced message and check engine light come on and the car starts shaking uncontrollably while idling at a stop light. I pull over and check the oil and it's incredibly low! I add another quart of oil and have called the dealership to let them know of the problem and the oil level issues and was told that's normal use of oil. This is unacceptable!!!! We have been thru hell and back with this vehicle and we want a resolution and reimbursement so we can get out of this stressful situation.

- ashley&tim, Cleo Springs, OK, USA

Dec 102015

Equinox LT 2.4L

SO MAD AT GM!!! Car making awful noises, take to dealer where I was told it has a SERIOUS OIL CONSUMPTION ISSUE (warranty runs out in one week) he tells me just don't let it run out of oil until they get parts in. SO BY THE TIME THE PARTS COME IN AND MY CAR IS FIXED (the warranty had run out) 2 DAYS LATER I CALL AND TELL THEM THE ENGINE LIGHT IS STILL ON......NOW IT'S MY PROBLEM BECAUSE THE WARRANTY RAN OUT!!!! I CALLED GM MYSELF AND IT STILL WON'T BE FIXED ON THEIR DIME!!!!

REALLY GM, REALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! FIX YOUR SH*T............ENGINE LIGHT STILL ON!!!! THIS IS THE WORST, ABSOLUTE WORST VEHICLE I HAVE EVER OWNED!!!! BTW A/C COMPRESSOR WENT OUT TODAY!! SO 2 MAJOR ISSUES IN 6 MONTHS

- Kaytie P., Summerfield, IL, USA

May 042016

Equinox 1LT 2WD 2.4L L4 Dohc 16v

Screeching noise when turning engine on. About 3 separate times the engine shut off while going from part to drive or drive to park at very slow speeds. Check engine came on for P0011 bank 1. Bad fuel pump caused the balanced shaft chain to fail. Timing chain was also stretched.

- sthom2487, Lakeville, MN, USA

Aug 012012

Equinox LT2 2.4L 4 cyl

On cold startup at idle and low RPM sometimes engine clatters like a diesel. It's loud enough my neighbor asked me what's wrong with my car. It goes away after about a minute. It didn't do it when the car was new and it seems to be getting worse at 92,000 miles on the car now. I'm having to add oil between changes now and think it could be related.

Update from Jul 15, 2016: Dealer replaced pistons at no cost and I now show no measurable oil consumption. The clattering noise on start up remained after the engine rebuild and I eventually determined it to be the accessory drive belt fluttering. I replaced the belt and the noise is finally gone. At 94,000 miles it runs and sounds like new and no longer uses oil..

- waterst, Winnsboro, SC, USA

Nov 012012

Equinox

Was unaware this was an issue with Equinox. When I called the dealership, could not fix due to mileage.

- tidwellb, Double Springs, AL, USA

Jul 232014

Equinox

We took the car to get the timing chain replaced because there was a recall and our Chevy dealership (Motor Inn of Knoxville) said there was no problem and didn't fix or replace anything. They also said they couldn't fix the computer that kept putting an airbag alert on the display. Fast-forward a year later and our car died. We took it to the same dealership and they said the engine was almost out of oil and we need a brand new one, $6600. This is NOT our fault. The dealership dropped the ball a year ago by not fixing our car and now they're trying to tell us it's our fault and we have to replace our entire engine.

Update from Sep 4, 2015: We have complained and complained to GM about fixing this under warranty and we finally got a letter saying our make, model and engine type is known for excessive oil consumption and any authorized Chevy dealership should fix it free of charge.

We did happen to mention in our last phone call to GM that we knew about an internal memo addressing this very issue (we found out from a Chevy car mechanic who is a friend of my mother-in-law's). So that is probably not a coincidence.

- Andrea R., Knoxville, IA, USA

Aug 082015

Equinox

I really wish I read these complaints before I bought this car. Me and My kids were stranded almost 100 miles from home because I had no oil and my car wouldn't start. This has happened in the past and I was told it's normal to use a quart of oil every 2,000 miles. Maybe they should tell the consumer as part of their sales pitch. I have never had to add my own oil every 2,000 miles.

- dcanns, Charlton, MA, USA

May 042015

Equinox LTZ 2.4L

Waiting for GM to talk to the dealers service department tomorrow. 2.5 qts burned after 4000 miles. No engine light until the knocking started. I had the oil changed. And 200 miles later engine came on again and the dealer admits this looks like there could be something wrong.

- Phil S., Issaquah, USA

Feb 132015

Equinox LTZ 2.4L 4 cyl

My 2011 Chevy Equinox LTZ received it's scheduled maintenance as well as an oil change every 3,000 miles. Out of the blue, in February 2015, the engine struggled to start. Once it started there was a ticking sound from under the hood. I turned the car off and checked everything I could under the hood. What did I discover? The oil wasn't registering on the dip stick. There was no sign of a leak anywhere. I filled the oil 3 quarts and took it in for an oil change and an oil leak inspection. No leaks were found.

Since then, I have had to add a quart per month to maintain the oil level. There still is no sign of a leak. I've read through the numerous complaints with identical problems. I too now worry about what is going to happen when I don't catch the oil level dropping at the right time and permanent, or at least expensive, damage will occur to the engine. At no time did the oil light come on to warn me of a low level. Nor did the Change Oil meter change. I never received any indication from the thousands of dollars worth of sensors that are designed to protect the vehicle from damage. This raises the flag in my book.

GM owes the customer a safe and reliable vehicle. We pay for it. I now keep an extra quart in my vehicle just in case and I find myself constantly opening the hood and checking the oil. I basically change my own oil before ever going in for the 3,000 mile change. GM, FIX THIS. You owe it to the customer. I love this vehicle and hate that I now have a $25,000 liability.

- Stephen S., Saint Marys, GA, USA

Mar 062015

Equinox LT 2.4L I4 Sidi

We discovered the excessive oil consumption only by accident. We've had every oil change on time, every recommended maintenance, etc. We were going on a mini-vacation and my husband just decided to check the oil while filing up window washing fluid and the thing was 2 quarts low. 2 QUARTS!!. We called the dealer and was told to begin the oil consumption test...which we are now doing.

I decided to get online and look this up as the "normal to use 1 quart" sounded like BS to me. We have a 1967 Chevelle and it doesn't use anywhere around that much oil. REALLY...a 4 year old car using that much oil is normal??? I don't think so. I've seen where they overfill the oil when they do the test and yes...they did. We have taken pictures to document that it's being overfilled and will tell them next time..do not overfill the oil. We just want this problem fixed so we can continue to love the car and Chevy.

- darlas, Sparta, NC, USA

Jan 012013

Equinox ES 4 cyl

Got in my car after work, started it, and once I got out on the street, it started knocking... and then would go away. Stopped in at the gas station - and it was a quart low! Maybe more. Noticed significant engine noise once I had it running with the hood up. Dealership said I waited to long to change the oil. Excuse me? Oil will not just disappear! Decided I would drive it to the end of the 100K warranty, and get rid of it.

- Wendy C., Cabot, AR, USA

Sep 162014

Equinox LS 2.4L

We bought this Equinox new with 218 miles on it in 2011. I've always put in Mobil 1 or Valvoline synthetic oil from day one. This is my wife's work vehicle and she'll put almost 3000 miles on it a month.

When I've done the oil changes in the latter part of 2014, I've noticed only about 3 quarts coming out of it. We took it to our Chevy dealership and they wanted us to monitor the oil levels over a period of time. We have and it's documented that at least 1 1/2 quarts are going somewhere. Today we took it in for a check engine light and had them check the oil level as well because of excessive ticking. Again, when the engine says time for an oil change, we do it. Today I am told that the piston rings need replacing and that a valve does too. This car has 107000 miles on it and no way should this be happening already.

If GM doesn't take care of this, this will be the last Chevy we buy. We bought a new Chevy Cobal in 2006 and the infamous engine shutdown occurred way before it hit the news. I complained about that one and everyone thought I was stupid. I just called my wife who is very upset because the piston ring replacement to rectify the oil consumption is going to cost $2500. Ridiculous.

Update from Sep 2, 2015: update!. I've been bring in our 2011 equinox with the 2.4 engine since 99,000 on the OD. I've brought it in and had it checked 3 times at least. I was told the issue was the piston rings and it would cost me $3000.00 to fix at the dealership. I squawked and the offered to pay for half. still i said no way on a manufacturers defect. flash forward to Sept 1st 2015, the other day I received a letter from GM that there are issues with the piston rings on the 2011 equinox and they will pay fully to replace them if the vehicle has no more than 120,000 miles. We now have 125,000. Now the fight begins. I contacted my dealership and they are going to look into fixing mine since I have been complaining for awhile now and there are records. If GM does not step up and take care of this completely since I've complained about this prior, my wife says she's going to put a brick on the gas pedal and drive that sucker thru their showroom window. Now i doubt that but she is pissed. That is her work vehicle and she puts up to 2500 miles a month on her car. we bought it because of the advertised gas mileage of 34 mpg (HA!). her miles are 90 % freeway and she's lucky if she gets 27 combined. This should be very interesting...

Update from Sep 17, 2015: Ok, this is what has happened with this car. We contacted GM 3 times. we have complaint numbers. The issue is the piston rings are faulty. It called for piston ring, pistons, and everything else that goes with replacing them. As i have mentioned before, we started having problems at 29000 miles (documented), at 86000 miles (documented), at 109000 miles (documented), and at 125000 miles (documented). They wanted to do a oil consumption test at every 500 miles. My wife puts that on her car every 2 or 3 days and she worked out of town most times. The GM service center never told us that we could bring it into ANY GM service center for check on this monitoring. We did not go in as they requested due to the frequency we'd have going to the dealership every couple days, we have jobs!. I have one repair document that said my oil was 3 quarts low! We do our oil changes when the computer tells us it's time to do one. So now there is a letter that GM states they are aware of faulty piston rings and that they would extend the manufactures warranty to 7 years and 120000 miles. Ours has 126000, but we've had an ongoing problem that is documented. GM will not pay for the complete repair on our vehicle solely because we did not upkeep the oil consumption test as directed, even though I have documentation from GM that there has been an issue with our car since 2012. They will do a goodwill warranty where I had to pay for 1200 dollars of the repair. While they were fixing the car I had them replace the timing chain and water pump, i understand that would be my responsibility. So the final bill was 1880.00. I do not think i should be penalized for a defective part on the car at any mile. The defect doesn't go away at 120001 miles, it's still there. I think GM should pay for the piston issue. I can't get anyone from GM to listen. I was told by a GM rep that once the car is purchased by the dealership, it no longer is GM's responsibility, really? GM sucks, buy something else.

- mark44004, Ashtabula, OH, USA

Oct 012014

Equinox LT

Equinox 2011 uses about 3 quarts of oil between oil changes. If you aren't careful checking oil the engine will die on you, sometimes in traffic. Have taken to the dealer, and they have done oil consumption test ( twice), according to GM a quart of oil every 2000 miles is standard operating procedure. That is the most absurd thing I have ever heard, and told them so.

I am 62 years old, and never owned a car that used a quart of oil every 2000 miles. You have to carry a few quarts of oil everywhere you go. The pistons are bad in all these cars, and they know it, but won't do anything about it. I took car to an independent mechanic and he said they are well aware of it, but don't want to do anything. He agreed a quart every 2000 miles is not average.

When I called GM they said they had never heard anything about it!

- ksm633, Granville, OH, USA