7.8

$3,360

2. replace pistons and rings (4 reports)
  3. replace engine (3 reports)
2014 Chevrolet Equinox engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 Chevrolet Equinox:

2014 Chevrolet Equinox Owner Comments

Dec 162019

Equinox Limited 3.2L

In December 2019 I was driving my 2014 Equinox and it was making some noise so I took it to the Tire Barn in Aitkin, lowa and behold it was way low on oil. So they put in a new timing chain, PVC, valve cover gasket well that maybe the same as the pvc, I don't know. Anyway since then my car has been using oil around 900 miles or less, I took it to Brandl in Aitkin and they suggested I do an oil consumption test, so I did. Well after about the 6th time they are why are we doing this and I said because you told me to. Well, they contacted GM and they said they will not do a recall on this, crazy as this is the same issue the 2010 and 2013 had problems with.

A little over a week ago I took it to the Tire Barn again cause the check engine light came on the they replace the Fuel Modular. Wow today the check engine light comes on and I took it back to the Tire Barn and now it says it may need Cadillac converter replaced, which is caused from oil dripping on it. I won't take it to a GM dealer because I feel they just blow you off. My Equinox only has around 141,000. it should last longer than this without all these expensive repairs. Will never buy another GM again.

GM - you need to recall the 2014 Equinox, and take care of your customers.

Patty Begordis, Aitkin MN

- Patricia B., Palisade, US

Apr 112018

Equinox LT 2.4L

GM claims that the engine oil consumption issue was corrected in the 2013's; however, I call B.S. because I am now adding as much as a quart every two weeks or 800 miles. (I commute 80-90 miles per day).

NEVER buy another GM product is the lesson here to the world.

Update from Jun 14, 2021: I have had to replace the catalytic converter 3 times out of pocket for this poorly engineered GM product.

- engineer21, Brenham, TX, US

Jul 292019

Equinox LT2 2.4L

The excessive oil usage was not known until the timing chain starting to make noise. Ended up replacing the valves, chain, tensioner, gears, seals, bolts, gaskets, and paid for oil change. This car had oil changes every 3000 miles by the dealer. This was my wife's car and was never run hard. This was the first GM car that let me down. Neither GM nor the dealer did a damn thing for me. I ended up paying the full price for the repair.

After the repair it used a quart of oil every 600 miles. The dealer wanted another $2300.00 to replace the piston rings to stop oil burning. Keep in mind that the first the failure of timing chain was the direct result of oil consumption. They said keep your bills because GM would end up paying for the repairs because of all the pending lawsuits. Still waiting - nothing yet. The thing that makes mad is that my dealer knew the problem existed and never mentioned a work. They could have at least said to watch the oil level. They were the only ones that every changed my oil. DO NOT BUY A 2014 Equinox with 2.4 - they are junk.

- Randy B., Ossineke, US

Feb 092021

Equinox LX 2.4L

Car has always used oil. Last time we went through oil in a week. No sign of leak. Now engine is locked up.

- Thomas B., Bremen, GA, US

Jan 222021

Equinox LT 2.4L

2.4L engine burned excessive oil and had a complete engine failure (lower end) at less than 84,000 miles.

- Tom D., Pewaukee, US

Jan 252021

Equinox

My 2014 Chevy Equinox has had problems for a while. A month ago, I was driving to work and barely had any power when driving. When I came to a stop the car would lurch forward when the brake was completely pressed. Took it in and they cleaned the throttle body.

Well, today the same thing started happening again. This time the oil was completely empty. My car frequently needs extra oil so I check very regularly and just added a quart last week. Super scary when you can't stay stopped at stop lights and barely have the umph to get the car up to speed. Also was told that I had codes going off but absolutely NO lights came on the dash.

- danielleca10, Moorhead, US

Feb 272020

Equinox LT 2.4L 4 cyl

Had the check engine light come on after having already fixed the solenoid valve sensor and the cam shaft sensor once before. Brought it to mechanic turned light off to check and checked oil usage as he heard something funny. Had to put in a full quart of oil after only having driven 950 miles since the last oil change. Was instructed if the light came on again to take it dealer for the fix, which was cam shaft sensor and told to start oil consumption study. Had to have a full oil change completed after just having one done and was told to take it back in at approximately 1,000 miles later to have dealer service people check it. That was today. They checked and it was yet again a full quart of oil low. Now have been instructed to do this again in the next 1,000 miles and if it is low again we will need new pistons and rings. This we were told would be a $2500 to $3100 fix. This is the exact problem that the 2010 to 2013 models have been recalled for. Why is this not a recall for 2014 models when they have the exact same engine? Something needs to be done ASAP.

- Krystle H., Saint Croix Falls, WI, US

Oct 152019

Equinox LTZ

Okay, I have religiously been getting oil changes on my car which I now have to do seemingly once a month. Luckily the oil shop I go to will refill if I am getting close to low between the milage directions. First time I took it in for an oil change they said I was almost completely out. I was shocked, the lady explained that they constantly see this problem on the Chevy Equinox and that I should be happy its lasted this long. Which is infuriating. They need to recall the system and provide an appropriate refund to people.

- Skie P., Mclouth, US

Nov 092019

Equinox

I have a 2014 Chevy Equinox that goes through so much oil I can barely afford to pay for it.

I have seen where there are class action lawsuits against GM but I don't know how to join them. Any ideas?

- Lee Ann C., Piedmont, SC, US

Aug 032019

Equinox LT 2.4L

The engine ran dry and seized on August 3rd. None of the sensors or check engine lights ever indicated the engine was low on oil. I have never missed an oil change and was unaware it was running low. I now am facing the purchase of a new engine and costly repairs of thousands of dollars. It wasn't until after the car died and I searched online did I see their are numerous similar complaints about this issue. GM needs to address this and cover the consumer's costs for repairs.

- auntchelle, Long Beach, US

Jul 192018

Equinox LS 2.4L

My 2014 Chevy Equinox stared stalling out; cutting off in middle of street. Took and had it put on the machine code said solenoid intake valve. I paid $274.00 because the warranty did not pay for it. It also burns oil. I just changed the oil last month and it is already down to 50%. Oil is suppose to be changed every 3,000 miles and I change it then. It should not be down 50% already.

- Mary M., Fayetteville, NC, US

Jan 092018

Equinox 2.4L

I have a 2014 Chevy Equinox purchased new w/2.4 engine. I do a lot of the maintenance on my vehicles including oil changes. I use synthetic oil (Mobil 1, Pennzoil, Quaker State) This vehicle started having dirty oil at low mileage after oil change beginning around 15,000 miles. I began to notice a decent amount of oil loss between 5000 mile changes. Put in new spark plugs at 50,000. Had carbon build up inside. Today at 59,500 miles 3000 miles on oil change I added 1.5 quarts oil. Probably could have added a full 2 quarts. From my brief research today it appears to be a piston rings issue possibly caused by some poor oil passage design. I have heard of timing chain failure do to the high oil consumption. "Class action.org" claims to have a suit prepared, or already started.

- Richard H., Westerville, OH, US

Oct 172016

Equinox LT 4 cyl

stalling in reverse and while in drive at stops

My 2014 Chevy Equinox was due for an oil change when the oil indicator said that is had 0% life a few weeks ago and there was engine pinging. When the oil was changed it was found to have less than 2 quarts in it. The Chevy Dealership where I have my service done started an Oil Consumption study. I have brought the car in twice to have it checked and no oil was needing to be added so far for the oil consumption test and on the second time I brought the car in it stalled while back out of the space right there in the dealership. However, the check engine light has come on twice since without stalls during those instances. The car has started stalling now while in reverse when the car is cold, and now its happening when the car is moving forward and fully warmed up when I come to pause to turn at an intersection, at red lights, and now while going thru the gate at my military post I work for when waiting in line for my turn for security to scan me thru. Today alone it happened five times scaring the wits out of me because it never happened this much before. Before it was episodic and only a few random times. The check engine light never came on today, yet a few days ago it came on and none of the stalls were happening then the light turned back off again. When it stalls, I have to put it in park and it will restart with all the lights turning off then back on as if the car was never turned on. The problem is intermittent, but when it happens I can feel slight dips in power thru the gas pedal/car as a whole. It is as if the engine isn't getting enough fuel despite a full fuel tank. I will be taking the car back tot he dealership to have this issue addressed day after tomorrow as I have an apt for this issue, except now as of today it seems to be worsening. Yesterday the car drove just fine, and today I'm scared its going to leave me on the side of the road. They said they are doing to oil consumption test because the Powertrain warranty won't cover engine repairs without proving it's eating oil. I have seen that this make and model is prone to oil burning issues and issues with oil gaskets and fuel filters. I hope that this will be an easy fix, but I've seen people paying as much at $2000 for repairs out of pocket for repairs that should be warranty covered engine repairs. I pray that this will not end that way for me as I am a single parent and finances are an issue. Today I also noticed a funny smell when I felt I had to gas the engine a little at an intersection while standing idle because it felt like it was going to stall when the power seemed to dip slightly. It doesn't make any funny noises when it is about to and then stalls... again, it just stalls like no fuel is getting to the engine. The RPM's don't fluctuate, and the engine thermostat is reading normally too. I am very worried about this and for mine and my child's safety. There are no recalls for my car to date and when I came to the dealership initially for the fated oil changed, the service provider alluded to troubles with this particular car and I did catch on to that and when I pressed the matter further they clammed up and would not comment more on it. When I went online and saw the myriad of complaints, it really made me wonder if this could even be a Lemon Law Act issue.

- jennynicurn, Hope Mills, NC, US