ANNOUNCEMENT: The Car Book 2018 is now online!

1998 Chevrolet Lumina lights problems

lights problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1998 Chevrolet Lumina:

1998 Chevrolet Lumina Owner Comments

Apr 072017

Lumina

We bought the car used. At time of purchase brake lights appeared to work. Same evening, the two rear/side brake lights did not work (the third/middle light works). We did some trouble shooting, replaced bulbs, checked for shorts. In our research we found that this is in fact a common problem among GM sedans and is caused by failure of the multifunction switch in the steering column. The switch contacts commonly fail when the switch begins to loosen/disintigrate. This causes a variety of issues among the systems that pass through that switch. Brake light failure is one such issue, and obviously a safety issues. Yes, I know it's an old car and yes I expect to have to make repairs to it, but I do not expect our student driver to suddenly be without brake lights because of the faulty manufacture of this component. A small amount of research makes it apparent that this is a very common, very widespread problem. It's expensive to fix and beyond most people's diy abilities, besides which I would not be comfortable working with anything that affects the airbag system. There is absolutely no way GM hasn't been aware of this issue. I can't understand why there's no recall for this issue.

- Helena, MT, USA

Jan 012009

Lumina

The multi purpose switch (turn signal) on my 1998 Chevy Lumina doesn't work everytime a use the turn signal switch my brake lights go out and I have to wiggle the switch until my brake light come back on. I switched the lever but the problem continues.

- Big Spring , TX, USA

Feb 152005

Lumina 6-cyl

While pulling into the driveway consumer noticed a bright glow (fire)coming from the right side rear reflector light. The fire was extinguished by the father. The dealer was notified. Consumer found right rear marker lamp had overheated.

- North Collins, NY, USA