ANNOUNCEMENT: The Car Book 2018 is now online!

2002 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Chevrolet Silverado 1500:

2002 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Owner Comments (Page 3 of 13)

Oct 182015

Silverado 1500

The contact owns a 2002 Chevrolet Silverado 1500. While driving at 10 mph and proceeding to stop the vehicle, the brake pedal failed when depressed. The vehicle was restarted and functioned normally. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 121,648.

- Jackson, SC, USA

Oct 182015

Silverado 1500

Seems that below 10 mph anti lock kicks in on dry pavement and makes truck hard to stop in motion on road

- Brighton, IL, USA

Oct 052015

Silverado 1500

While driving through my subdivision approximately 20 mph and pressing the brake, the pedal went completely to the floor and the vehicle did not slow down. I pumped the pedal repeatedly and only slight braking action could be achieved. I went through the subdivision just narrowly missing two crossing cars and kids then turned onto a nearby side street. After finally getting the vehicle to stop, I got out and saw a puddle of brake fluid forming a few feet behind the driver side front wheel.

- Grove City, OH, USA

Sep 242015

Silverado 1500

Brakes failed completely. After I felt the brake pedel was not right I backed the truck into the front yard, and when I tried to stop there was no pedel and the truck kept going and hit a tree, lawn bench, misc. Objects, and stopped after hitting S retaining wall. I estimate several thousand damage done. I was told the brake lines were rusted.

- Florence, KY, USA

Sep 072015

Silverado 1500

The contact owns a 2002 Chevrolet Silverado. While driving at a low speed, the contact applied the brake pedal and the ABS kicked in; however, there was a loss of brake function. The stopping distance of the vehicle was dramatically reduced. The vehicle was taken to a mechanic who stated that there was a wheel bearing sensor failure. The entire wheel bearing with the sensor was replaced, but the failure recurred multiple times. The contact researched and found NHTSA campaign number: 05V379000. The manufacturer was notified of the issue. The approximate failure mileage was 90,000.

- Waterville , ME, USA

Sep 102015

Silverado 1500

I was driving in appomattox va when I step on break I had no breaks. Two of lines had bust.

- Pamplin , VA, USA

Sep 082015

Silverado 1500

Approached corner and pressed brakes to turn. Peddle went to the floor. Almost ran into a car turning and I had to swerve to miss them.

- Freeland, MI, USA

Sep 042015

Silverado 1500

Multiple times stopping about 4-5 mph on dry pavement, my vehicles ABS system kicks on and I loose breaking power.

- Canton, OH, USA

Sep 012015

Silverado 1500

The first time I lost all brakes was when I was backing up to a traler on 7/13/15. The second time I was hauling a dump trailer with rock and lost all brakes and was able to get it to coast to a stop. The first incident was taken to a Chevy dealership and had the rear brake line replaced, only to lose my brakes again 40 days later! this time it was my front brake line. Why is there no recall on this? I don't feel safe driving this vehicle anymore. I have 3 young children and I can't trust your vehicle with their lives or mine!

- Pittsfield , IL, USA

Aug 122015

Silverado 1500

ABS stopped brake pedal from going down. By the time I lifted and pumped again vehicle struck young girl. Travel was about six feet. There is a recall in other states but not ky.

- Livingston, KY, USA

Sep 172014

Silverado 1500

Luckily I was pulling in my driveway when I found out my brakes had gone because they had rusted through not long after my gas was pouring out cause the fuel lines rusted and now chances are I wont get an inspection sticker this coming year because my frame is rusted out

- Belfast, ME, USA

Jul 302015

Silverado 1500

Was starting out of driveway on slight slope. Applied brakes and antilock system kicked in. Under 5mph. Rolled in front of oncoming traffic. A truck had to veer to avoid collision with us. Became aware there is a known problem but vehicle hadn't been recalled because it is in Kentucky. #05V379000 recall should be extended to ky because of salt for snow and gravel roads.

- Livingston, KY, USA

Jan 262015

Silverado 1500 4WD 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2002 Chevrolet Silverado 1500. The contact received a recall notification for the brakes on the vehicle. The vehicle was repaired. After the recall repair was performed, the brakes pulsated when applied. The dealer stated that the failure was due to an aftermarket wheel bearing. The contact stated that the brakes worked exceptionally well prior to the repair. The manufacturer was notified of the failure; however the contact was not offered a remedy. The NHTSA campaign number was unknown. The failure mileage was 130,000. Updated 09/10/15 updated 11/08/2017

- Two Rivers, WI, USA

Jun 202015

Silverado 1500

I lost the brakes. The peddle went to the floor. It turned out to be a rusted out brake line. I was able to avoid an accident by pulling off the road. After research, I found this is a recurring problem for Chevy Suburban.

- Titusville, FL, USA

May 162015

Silverado 1500

While attempting to stop the 2002 Chevrolet Silverado 1500, the anti-lock brakes activated at about 5 mph and caused total loss of braking control. Unable to stop, the Silverado crashed directly into an advertising sign. There was minimal damage to the Silverado, moderate damage to the advertising sign, and no injuries to the driver or two children. Follow-up after the accident revealed that activation of the anti-lock braking system (ABS) is a known issue and part of a GM recall (NHTSA campaign number: 05V379000).

- Inver Grove Heights, MN, USA

May 302014

Silverado 1500

My brake lines failed, nearly resulting in killing a child that rode his bike onto the road from a driveway and forcing a vehicle headon into my lane of travel. Luckly everyone was able to squeeze into appropriate places and was paying attention as I was unable to slowdown. Dust covers on the rear have been rusted and gone for the last two years, and I have replaced the regulators in both passenger/driverside doors three time each due to the cables rusting and snapping. When I took my vehicle into Chevrolet dealer ship for maintenance, it had less than 36K at the time, they removed one plastic panel (falling down from behind the door interior trim panels) from each door that was hanging down and scratching my rocker panel, and said "we dont know what these are for, so we just removed them", hmmm, maybe it was to help with moiture related issues within the door panel. Not sure just guessing, but cant bellive that they couldn't figure it out. Over all not impressed with Chevrolet even though it is pretty much all I have owned, if they keep producing this crap they should lower the price.

- Apg, MD, USA

Jun 032015

Silverado 1500 4WD 8-cyl

Went to start truck. Pressed brake pedal. Truck started, pedal went to floor. Took foot off pedal. Let truck run for a few minutes to see if brake light would go off. It did not. Turned off truck. Checked around truck. Found brake fluid under truck by right rear tire. Check brake line near left rear tire. It is in bad shape and will likely fail soon. Two or three years ago, had front line fail below driver's seat. Replaced front lines. Rear lines did not look too bad at the time. With all new technology advances, Chevy is now using inferior material. Dust guards around rear brakes of this truck are completely gone on both sides. Everything is rusting. Had 1975 Buick estate wagon for 22 yrs. It was in better shape when I sold it than this truck has been for the last several years. Chevy could do all the corporate double speak they want. Fact is this rust issue is a safety issue. I have friends that have a little older and newer 1500 and all have brake line issues and varying degrees of rust underneath the vehicle. I see where others have registered similar complaints. It is unfortunate that nothing will get done until there are serious injuries. (I see where you want a daytime phone number. If you call from a phone that does not have a NHTSA id, you will have to leave a voicemail.) updated 09/17/15 updated 10/27/2017

- Beavercreek, OH, USA

Jun 022015

Silverado 1500

The contact owns a 2002 Chevrolet Silverado. While driving 35 mph, the vehicle would not stop when the brake pedal was depressed. The contact had to use the emergency brake to force the vehicle to stop. The dealer diagnosed that the brake lines were leaking. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 99,610.

- San Benito, TX, USA

May 062015

Silverado 1500

I've had to replace calipers, rotors, brake lines the have rusted, brakes hoses that have gone bad and this vehicle is well kept and inside. Low miles for a 2002 and yet all at once everything went bad including my fuel sensor for the gas guage.

- Conowingo, MD, USA

May 232015

Silverado 1500

The contact owns a 2002 Chevrolet Silverado 1500. The brakes failed while driving 50 mph. The dealer stated that the brake lines were corroded and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 153,000.

- Flushing , MI, USA