2002 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Chevrolet Silverado 1500:

2002 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 13)

Nov 292018

Silverado 1500

While slowing down coming to a stop - no brakes. Checked everything. Suspect power booster. This started slowly about three weeks ago. Today it actually would not stop and I almost hit the fire hydrant.

- Union Beach, NJ, USA

Nov 012018

Silverado 1500

Brake lines rusted through to point of failure

- Johnson City, TN, USA

Oct 032018

Silverado 1500

My brake lines on my Silverado have been replaced 5 different lines in 4 years the truck has 90,000 miles on it and in the last month 3 times ive lost brakes the guy who fixes my brake lines tells me the lines are rusted out each time this happens, he told me he cant tell by sight when they will fail cause they look ok but that's not the case, I've read this is a issue with these vehicle's ive been lucky so far (knock on wood) but the cost and the stress of having your brakes fail is unacceptable seeing the lines are not up to normal standards, someone should be held responsible for this issue

- Elgin, IL, USA

Jul 282018

Silverado 1500

In July of 2018, my 2002 Chevrolet Silverado had major brake failure as I was driving about 35 mph approaching a red light. I pressed on the brakes, it went totally to the floor and I was unable to stop, blowing right through red light. My mechanic told me the my brake line rusted through, and all the brakes lines, as well as the fuel line is totally rusted. I was told that this is very common in this Chevrolet / GM model era. He said if all he were to do is replace brake lines in this 1999 to 2006 era, it was enough to keep his business booming. What shocking struck me is that he told me they all fail under the drivers side door, along the frame, before the ABS module. This is definitely a safety hazard that should be addressed. Myself, as well as others could of been killed when I was unable to stop at the red light. John D. norristown, pa.

- Norristown, PA, USA

Jul 102018

Silverado 1500

There is a major safety design flaw in the 1999-2002 brake system. The front tires through the salt and grime from the roads onto the brake lines where Chevrolet has located them in the design. This causes the brake lines to corrode and burst during driving. Mine have now burst for the second time in the last 5 years. The first time in 2013 I was driving at about 35-40 mph when I went to make a rh turn and the brakes went to the floor. This time I had went to a local gas station and was on the way home when I stopped to talk to a neighbor and once again the brake pedal went to the floor. I drive the truck very little so I have only put just over 17,000 miles on the new set of brake lines that I had installed by a Chevrolet dealer in 2013. I live in southern Indiana, just North of louisville, ky so our winters are not that harsh, so the amount of salt from roads is pretty limited. I have talked with other Chevrolet Silverado, Yukon and Suburban owners and they all share having the same issues with their brake lines. I have went to youtube to see how to make the repairs myself and have seen countless videos on individuals repairing their brakes because of the corrosion and the brake lines bursting. Come on nhtsb what are you waiting on before you issue a recall, someone to die or be permanently disabled! do the right thing and issue a recall to fix the brakes with stainless steel lines, rotors, calipers and brake pads that will not rust after a few years!

- Henryville, IN, USA

Jan 132018

Silverado 1500

I was driving at low speed on a street that is 25mh as I break to stop at the stop sign my ABS activated. Almost caused me a serious accident because I couldn't stop so I had to break so hard my but was actually off of the seat. And this continues to happen so now I have to take the ABS fuse out to deactivate my ABS.

- Falling Waters, WV, USA

Mar 012018

Silverado 1500

Takata recall - have been stranded numerous times as it has appeared to be the fuel pump not getting gas to start the car. Sometime can hear pump running as I have replace 3-4 pumps since 2012 or 13. Some time beating under tank helps. There seem to be numerous complaints about this problem. Security light flashing and start sometime when it is reset. Sounds wonderful when it runs. Can it be the computer? towed to a safe location after not starting and diagnostic technician show 10% fuel pressure. I parked went in to make a payment at a business and would not start for 4 days

- Midland, TX, USA

Jan 292018

Silverado 1500

The contact owns a 2002 Chevrolet Silverado 1500. While the vehicle was approaching a stop sign, the brake pedal traveled to the floorboard when it was depressed. The driver had to apply force to stop the vehicle, which had still gone through the stop sign due to the failure. The vehicle was not diagnosed by a dealer. The vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 05V379000 (service brakes, hydraulic). The manufacturer was notified and stated that the vehicle was excluded from the brake system recall. There were more than 20 tsbs on the brake system; however, the manufacturer provided no solution to repair the vehicle. The failure mileage was not available.

- Fort Valley, VA, USA

Jan 192018

Silverado 1500

The contact owns a 2002 Chevrolet Silverado 1500. While driving approximately 50 mph, the brake pedal was depressed and failed to operate. The contact stated that the brake pedal traveled to the floorboard, which caused the vehicle to stop. The vehicle was not taken to a dealer. The contact was a certified mechanic and was able to diagnose that the brake line was damaged and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The VIN was included in NHTSA campaign number: 05V379000 (service brakes, hydraulic). The approximate failure mileage was 168,000.

- Waldorf, MD, USA

Dec 152017

Silverado 1500

Experiencing unwanted ABS activation at low speeds on dry roads when slowing down and/or stopping, with or with out pressing on the breaks.

- St.Stephen, MN, USA

Oct 152015

Silverado 1500 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2002 Chevrolet Silverado 1500. While driving, the brake pedal was depressed, but failed to stop the vehicle. As a result, the contact crashed into another vehicle. The air bags did not deploy. There were no injuries and a police report was not filed. The vehicle was taken to an unknown independent mechanic who informed the contact that the ABS control module needed to be replaced. The vehicle was taken to stewart Chevrolet (780 serramonte blvd, colma, ca 94014) where the contact was informed about an unknown manufacturer recall. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure and informed the contact that the vehicle was not being repaired per the recall. The approximate failure mileage was 133,475. Consumer stated he had a numerous close calls with the brakes. Had one accident where they failed to do their jobs. Updated 8/7/18

- South San Francisco, CA, USA

Oct 052017

Silverado 1500

The contact owns a 2002 Chevrolet Silverado 1500. While backing out of the driveway, the brakes did not work. The contact had to use the emergency brake to stop the vehicle. The contact shifted to drive to park the vehicle back in the driveway, but the brakes did not work again. The emergency brake had to be utilized. The contact exited the vehicle and noticed brake fluid all over the driveway. The contact looked under the vehicle and noticed the brake lines were severely rusted to the point that it was hard to determine which of the brake lines was leaking fluid. The vehicle was towed to the dealer (kendred Chevrolet in smithfield, Missouri) where it was diagnosed that all the brake lines failed and needed replacement. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The vehicle was repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 63,000.

- Kansas City, MO, USA

Oct 032017

Silverado 1500

The contact owns a 2002 Chevrolet Silverado 1500. While driving approximately 7 mph, the anti-lock brake system activated and pulsated until the vehicle stopped. There were no warning indicators illuminated. The contact stated that the failure started intermittently approximately three weeks ago and has become worse. The failure occurred daily. The vehicle was not diagnosed by an independent mechanic or a dealer. The manufacturer was notified of the failure, but the VIN was not included in a recall. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 170,000.

- Ballston Spa, NY, USA

Oct 022017

Silverado 1500

The anti-lock brake system engages at slow speeds causing inability to stop. The road surface does not matter, wet, dry, dirt or paved, it is a failing system. This was a random problem, now it happens all the time. The system will make a ratcheting sound then a grinding before as you come to a stop. You have to be ready to let off the brake and reapply pressure hoping it works. I live in a neighborhood with small children running around everywhere. I would hate to think what would happen if these brakes failed me when I really needed them.

- New Albany, IN, USA

Aug 292017

Silverado 1500

All brake line for entire truck had to be replaced because of rust issues, as well as rear backing plates which had rusted completely away. ABS sensors are activating at low speed on dry pavement causing truck to take longer space to stop

- Troy, NY, USA

Jun 082017

Silverado 1500

Brake lines are severely corroded. Causing pin hole leaks. Lines are so severely corroded that there is no way to fix except to replace all bake lines. This is a exterme costly repair. Dealer ship quoted a minimum $1700 but could be higher. Leaks occurr while driving then applying brakes due to corrosion cause weak spots in lines. Leaks only occurr while driving then applying brakes that cause increase in pressure in lines. This could be very dangerous in fast moving traffic.

- Russiaville, IN, USA

Jan 192017

Silverado 1500

The contact owns a 2002 Chevrolet Silverado 1500. While driving 6 mph, the brakes failed to work without warning. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 251,000.

- Mt. Pleasant, MI, USA

Jan 142017

Silverado 1500 8-cyl

Came out of a restaurant put foot on brake pedal and it went to the floor had truck towed to dealer and was told brake lines need replacing at a cost of $1100 dollars. Just glad that I wasn't driving as this was very dangerous.

- Fairfield, OH, USA

Sep 222015

Silverado 1500 8-cyl

Started vehicle early one morning for the first time that day, allowed it to warm up for about one (1) minute and then placed it into reverse to back out of driveway. After traveling about six (6) feet in reverse attempted to stop, pedal went completely to floor with no resistance at all and vehicle stopped after about six (6) feet. There was a complete and total brake failure. No prior indications, no dashboard warning light. After stopping the vehicle I noticed a small puddle of liquid on the ground near the rear of the driver's side door. After having vehicle towed to repair shop I was notified by the repair shop that the brake lines had completed corroded. Total repair shop cost to replace all brake lines was $810.36. This did not include the cost of the tow truck to get the vehicle to the repair facility. I am the first and only owner of this vehicle.

- Owensboro, KY, USA

Oct 062016

Silverado 1500

Complete brake failure on a busy Suburban street. I was intending to stop for a red light and had no brakes. Pedal went to the floor. No collison. Truck needed to be towed to repair shop. Cost was $872.73.

- Prior Lake, MN, USA