CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2016 Silverado has a few problems reported here & there, but that's to be expected for a popular model. More importantly, it has no significant problem trends -- both with our complaint data & same with complaints made to the NHTSA.

9.4

$4,400

1. replace transmission (11 reports)
  2. rebuild the transmission (5 reports)
  3. rebuild with better parts and better torque converter (1 reports)
2016 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2016 Chevrolet Silverado 1500:

2016 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Owner Comments

Oct 262021

Silverado 1500 LT 5.3L

A pickup should not have transmission problems at 80,000 miles. But then I had a dealer tell me today that carmakers are programming vehicles to fail to boost service profits.

- rtmumper, Valencia, US

Sep 122021

Silverado 1500 LT 5.3L V8

My last truck was a 1994 Chevy 2500. It had 474K on it when the transmission went out. It had the hell run out of it. Pulling heavy loads, carrying heavy loads, and a lot of highway time. Loved that truck. Brought this truck in 2016. My first 4X4. Have only had it in 4 wheel drive very few times. Still completely stock as from the factory. Only has 110923 miles. Mostly highway.

This truck is way nicer than I am used too.

About two weeks ago, I was stopped at a red light. When the light changed, I made a left hand turn onto another road. All the sudden, the truck started to jerk, I thought I had gotten bad gas somewhere. This went on about a week. Then it started to make a weird noise when the truck came under a strain like going up a hill. On September the 24, my wife and I were heading to Lowes, when the truck started bucking and making a lot of noise. Made it back from Lowes and took it to the local Chevy dealership to find out what is going on.

They called that afternoon to tell me the transmission is shot and the can rebuild it for $4200 or install a new one for $6000. I went and got it. Trying to find someone to rebuild it now. I'm going to have it rebuilt extra heavy with new torque converter. I haven't even finished paying for it yet. I have always on Chevy and GMC cars and trucks and never had a problem until over 300K + miles. This is bullshit. Making me think about looking at a Toyota Tundra.

Update from Sep 27, 2021: Just found out that it is going to cost me about $4500 to have the transmission rebuilt on the heavy side like it should have been in the first place. I have owned chevys for many years. First chevy I drove was a 1969 Cheville SS 396. I was 9. Country Boy. Now Im looking at possible looking at a Toyota Tundra.

- Mickey B., Wilmer, AL, US

Aug 292021

Silverado 1500

Truck started shifting hard and revving up last weekend while we were camping. At stop signs, it would jerk as soon as you take your foot off the brake and touch the gas pedal. We were pretty nervous we would not make it home. Called the dealership the next day and they could not get us in to even look at it for a week. After dropping it off this morning, they called and said it needs a new transmission. $7000!!!

We have not even hit 60,000 mile yet, which is normally when the warranty would expire (60,154 to be exact), but the expiration date was 7/21/2021. So apparently, the warranty is only good for whichever comes first. We have been diligent about changing the oil every 3000 miles, and getting all the other recommended maintenance and have always taken it to the dealership for service. Had it in on August 2, for an oil change and inspection.

There was NO warning that our transmission was about to go. The My Chevrolet app was also of no use with no warnings. And the check engine light never came on. If we can find someone to replace it for $5300, like some of you, I will take it. I have no interest in giving anymore money to the Chevy dealership. I cannot believe GM and Chevy, and very likely the mechanics know about this and do not even give you a warning. We would have purchased an extended warranty or traded it in had I known this was going to be a problem.

- Lauri S., Edmonds, US

Feb 282021

Silverado 1500 LT V6

I bought my truck certified used from a Chevy dealer with about 60k miles on it. Overall I really like how the truck handles, the mpg and the styling. Have never towed with it but instead use as a daily driver and on the weekends for camping and fishing trips with a kayak. So imagine my surprise when my truck only has 69k miles and I'm driving down the highway and my transmission starts to slip bad going uphill, I mean real bad, revving up to 5,000+ rpm while not going any faster.

Shortly after that, my check engine light comes on and I stop at an AutoZone to use their scan tool which comes back as a transmission/torque converter fault. I also check the trans fluid and it is burnt black. I end up taking it into my local repair shop as I have a third party extended warranty. Luckily the repairs were covered after a $1,000 deductible and I got a new transmission installed, otherwise it would have been $5,000. All maintenance prior to this was done at the dealer, as I got it certified used and had two free oil changes/service checks.

- Kevin P., San Diego, CA, US

Jan 282021

click to see larger images

transmission failure

Bought this truck brand new with 52 miles on it when I left the lot. At 70,250 miles the transmission went out. This truck is used primarily as a mode of transportation on paved roads. I do go off-road, but nothing more than a farm field or dirt road. The only trailer pulled was a utility trailer hauling a 650lb ATV. Probably pulled the trailer less than 1,500 miles total. The warranty expired at 60K miles, so I was just over 10K and less than 5 years. GM did nothing to help with the cost. My bill was over $5,300 to have the dealer replace it.

The truck is still driving rough, after service. RPM's continue to bounce at certain speed. I have a feeling the torque converter is bad. The new transmission has a 100,000 mile warranty on it (nice of GM to provide a longer warranty on the replacement than than the factory new), so if it blows I couldn't care less anymore. I'll be more annoyed at the inconvenience. I am shopping for new trucks, but will not be buying a GM. My money is being spent elsewhere. I am watching to see if this turns into a recall because the shop who diagnosed my transmission reported 3 trucks with the same issue that same week - two 2016's w/ the 6 speed tranny and a 2018 with less than 30K miles on it!

Stay away from the Silverado. Sad to say coming from someone who is on his third straight Chevy, but I'd hate for this to happen to someone else.

- Alex C., Harrisburg, US

Nov 112020

Silverado 1500 LT 5.3L V8

Second owner of a 2016 Chevy Silverado 1500 LT - I bought it when it had 47k miles on it. I've put on 20k miles myself and the transmission completely gave up on me at 67,015 miles. Its 7K miles over the powertrain GM warranty so I'm stuck with the bill. Chevy dealership in Orange County CA is stating they need to replace the transmission which would be about $5,000 repair. This is insane that my transmission goes out before 100k and I still owe $25k for it.

I always driven my truck in the city and never towed using it and I had my transmission fluid maintenance done at this same dealership back in on 02/2020 at 57k miles.

My third party warranty isn't going to cover the repair either because they are using my 26"rims and new tires as a modification excuse not to cover my repair which is complete bs.

I will never buy any modern GM made products ever again.

- Dirt M., Orange, CA, US

Nov 182020

Silverado 1500 LX 5.3L

6 speed transmission started slipping on a trip, had to get it fixed to get home. Mechanic inspected and found burnt fluid and clutch plate fibers all over in the transmission. Got a new GM tranny from a dealership that had 16 in stock. Turns out the transmission oil pump is putting out too high of a pressure which is burning up clutch plates.

GM knows it's a design problem, hence the 16 transmissions in stock... they don't even carry that many sets of wiper blades for Pete's sake. Supposedly, it's only a problem on the 6 speed electronic. Switching to Ford if GM doesn't give me some consideration for being 1500 miles out of warranty.

- Daren B., Windsor, US

Sep 112020

Silverado 1500 LS

Transmission failed while pulling a small travel trailer in the midst of a 2 month road trip. Transmission failed on a hill in a small town in Wyoming. Luckily the only service in town was a Chevy dealer. Transmission was replaced and dealer appealed to GM to help/cover some of the costs, since the truck had such low mileage (92k) and it had the heavy-duty tow package. GM covered $800 of the total bill of $5300 to replace the transmission.

At the same time my transmission was being replaced, my brother lost his transmission in his 2013 Suburban, only 200 miles away in Laramie Wyoming. Not a good week for Chevrolet reliability.

- Paul G., Centreville, US

Apr 152020

Silverado 1500 LT Crew Cab 4WD V8 5.3L

Torque converter supposedly went bad leading to a rebuild of the transmission, new torque converter, pump & pump housing. barely 1000 miles over the 60,000 mi power train warranty. Had all the recommended services done at the Chevy dealership per the book including flushing transmission fluid at 39,000 mi. I raised hell when I found out this is a common factory default problem and demanded the dealership go to GM and have them pay for the repair. Dealership said since I had my transmission serviced with them that they could get the transmission fluid manufacturer to pay $2,000 towards the $3900 bill that they lowered down from $4300, and that they would check and see if GM would cover more. GM didn't pay a dime but the transmission fluid company did pay $2000 towards the repair (this company is getting screwed by GM since the problem is a factory defect). Apparently this is common in 2015-2019 Silverado's. Got it fixed so I can start trying to sell the truck and a week later my A/C condenser cracked leading to another $950 repair (Chevy dealership wanted $1400 for the repair so I took it to a locale mechanic). Hopefully nothing else breaks before I sell this p.o.s. and buy a Toyota.

- aggieman777, Frisco, US

Dec 202019

Silverado 1500 LT V8

Wondering if there will be a recall or class action law suit soon. Our car broke down a month ago. York converter went out and got metal shavings in our transmission. Had the truck towed. Six trucks with the same issue are ahead of us, being told they can only fix one at a time and current parts are in pre-assembly. Only alternatives we’ve been given is to replace the transmission since they don’t have the parts or trade in, losing a bunch of money. Because of course we are 6000 miles over our warranty.

- Emily D., Fernandina Beach, US

Jun 012020

Silverado 1500 LT 5.3L

Bought truck new in 2016. Complained about shifting around 5K miles. Trans seemed to slip and shutter but was told the electronic controlled shifting was learning driving pattern. Slippage was not happening and transmission was operating normally. I dismissed it even though it has happened several times. Now at 94K, diagnostics from dealer said transmission front pump is failing and torque converter has been damaged because of it. More then likely, this has caused clutch failure and internal damage of transmission causing shutter. Dealer recommends transmission replacement verse rebuild.

- esquared35, Chesapeake, US

May 112019

Silverado 1500 LT 5.3L V8

How a transmission in a 2.6 yr old truck with 86,000 miles would fail is beyond comprehension. Needless to say, I've been a Chevy truck guy since I was 16 yrs old (36 yrs). I'm going to buy a Tundra tomorrow and sell my Chevy.

- Jimmy D., Juliette, GA, US

Mar 012019

Silverado 1500

ALL WARRANTIES WERE OVER - THE ONLY PLACE THIS VEHICLE WAS SERVICED WAS AT THE CHEVROLET DEALER IN TUCSON ON BROADWAY. THEY GIVE YOU A PRINT OUT EACH TIME THE TRUCK IS SERVICED. BUT NEVER KNOW ANYTHING.. THIS WAS THE WORST PLACE I COULD HAVE BOUGHT THIS VEHICLE OR SENT IT FOR REPAIRS. THE VEHICLE WAS BOUGHT WITH 2000 MILES ON IT, IT IS TREATED AS A TRUCK NOT A PRINCESS CAR. THE FIRST YEAR I SPENT OVER 1000.00 DOLLARS JUST KEEPING UP WITH WARRANTIES. THE SECOND YEAR IT HAD MANY ISSUES , OVER SPILLED TRANSMISSION FLUID, BACK SEAL HAD TO BE REPLACED WITH A FIGHT WITH CHEVY- SOME HOW THEY HAD NO CLUE IT WAS ON WARRANTY AND THE SERVICE TECH COULD NOT DUPLICATE A NOISE THAT SOUNDED LIKE HUB CAPS AND FOUND NOTHING WRONG WITH THE BRAKES ON MY TRUCK. I FINALLY GOT TIRED AND WENT TO A BRAKE SHOP WHO FOUND THAT THE A PART WAS STUCK IN THE BRAKE SHOE AND THE VEHICLE COULD HAVE FLIPPED. 400 DOLLARS LATER. THIS MONTH ALONE- NOW THE TRANSMISSION GAVE OUT 3200.00 - AC WENT OUT 200.00 - Coolant reservoir leaking (chevy dealer said could find where it was coming from) 50.00 to replace -flush radiator 10.00 (wrong antifreeze was in it some --chevy???) and paid person 20.00 . This is the WORST vehicle I have every bought and STILL OWE 20 GRAND.... it sucks..... Chevys used to be my favorite .

- Margarita C., Tucson, AZ, US

Mar 252019

Silverado 1500 LT V8

67,000 miles and a NEW transmission. 7,000 miles over the powertrain warranty. Spending that amount of money on a truck, I did not expect to dish out 4,900.00 for a new transmission. This is my 1st Chevy and my last. I should have listened to my dad- he's a Ford guy!

- Josh P., Ponchaoula, US

Dec 242018

Silverado 1500 LTZ V8

So my 2 year old Chevy truck dies on Christmas eve. apx 78K miles- all highway (obviously). The engine would rev, but the transmission wouldn't engage the drive train. I have it towed to Chevy and learn that the torque converter blew up in the transmission and there is no salvaging it. They initially quoted me like 5K since it was out of warranty, but I was able to get it down to 3K.

How a $65K truck can have a transmission failure before it even hits 6 digits is beyond me...

Some Google searching helped me find out that there are many others dealing with the same thing. Apparently the torque converters have been going bad for years and Chevy has known about it since 2015 (service memos).

I know there are class action law suits in several states for similar issues against Chevy - I am hoping that one pops up in GA so I can get some of my money back.

- David B., Kennesaw, GA, US

Dec 062018

Silverado 1500 LS 3.5L

click to see larger images

transmission failure

Transmission failure before 100,000 miles is an absolute disgrace. Also found out from the mechanic that these transmissions start making metal the day they hit the road. Poor design. Must be why the year I purchased the truck was the same year they lowered the power-train warranty from 100,000 to 60,000. It like they knew they were selling crap and had to ensure they were not liable when it would fail. I will NEVER by another GM vehicle knowing they are willing to sell vehicles that wont last. Horrible experience.

- Kevin H., Chesterfield, US

Sep 042016

Silverado 1500 LT 5.3L V8

Only 5,500 miles and the transmission went out. It was running fine on the highway at about 65 mph when the RPM's revved up to the top and started losing speed, I pulled to right lane and noticed that somehow it put itself back into 1st gear and stayed there. At the dealership they are tearing apart the transmission to see what the problem is. I am not happy with having a new truck having to have the transmission worked on at only 5,500 miles. Currently not yet resolved

Update from Sep 19, 2016: They had to rebuild the transmission , I don't feel right about having new truck with an overhauled transmission. It was not even a factory rebuild it was overhauled at the dealer. I like Chevy, but this is the worst experience I could have with a new truck.

- silverado/owner, Murrieta, CA, US