ANNOUNCEMENT: The Car Book 2018 is now online!

9.5

$2,060

1. replace cradle/motor mounts (14 reports)
  3. replace the entire cradle assembly (8 reports)
  4. replace cradle (5 reports)
  5. replace subframe (4 reports)
  6. replace engine cradle (3 reports)
2006 Chrysler Pacifica body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Chrysler Pacifica:

2006 Chrysler Pacifica Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

Dec 222016

Pacifica

Overall car is running great...just had a major service job done in August of 2015, new catalytic converter, brakes, rotors and new tires. Went in for oil change and mechanic showed me how much rust and rot had occurred in front motor mount frame. Looked like swiss cheese. My daughter uses this car to get back and forth to college and it's unsafe. From what I've found online this is a major issues with all Pacifica's (2003-2006). Seems as though some sort of rebate should be provided if a number of owners are having the same problem.

- John D., Cortlandt Manor, NY, US

Dec 152016

Pacifica Touring 3.5L

I have seen that it is a common problem with Pacificas of this vintage in "road salt"states. Also, I have seen that there is a class action lawsuit against Chrysler pending in Ohio because of the regularity of the issue. I have owned the vehicle since 2007, and have done very little to the vehicle until now, so overall, I have been extremely pleased with the car. However, since this is a common problem that Chrysler has seemed to ignore, I am lodging my complaint.

- Mark A., Corning, NY, US

Nov 152016

Pacifica ES 3.6L

My otherwise healthy vehicle that I've kept garaged, and maintained so I could get 150000 miles out of it, is nearly worthless at 82000 miles because the engine cradle is rusting out. I've asked Chrysler to help pay for the repair and was denied. More should be done for loyal customers.

- Donald L., Maumee, OH, US

Nov 162016

Pacifica

The engine cradle is rusted and no help from Chrysler.

- lindaandjan, Huntington, IN, USA

Nov 052016

Pacifica Limited

My engine is going to fall off!

“Excuse me, but I believe you dropped your engine back there.”

Sounds ridiculous, right? And it is … unless you own a 2004–08 Chrysler Pacifica which has the dubious nickname of “engine-dropper.” OK, I made that up – but those cars do have a known issue where the engine cradles rust, rot and split apart to the point where the engine can actually fall out, so that nickname is entirely possible. But why these years specifically? And what is Chrysler doing to correct this dangerous problem? (spoiler alert: it’s not much)

- dvidro, Wyoming, MI, US

Aug 012016

Pacifica

I went in for an oil change and was told there is rust on frame cross member showing holes. Mechanic thought it was a defect because the rest of the frame is in really good shape and it is really odd. As the rust continues to eat away the frame may not support the engine. Was told to see if there was a recall and of course it appears there isn't any. I love the Pacifica but if the company doesn't stand behind their product I don't think I will ever purchase another Chrysler product.

- Kari Z., Osceola, WI, USA

Oct 262016

Pacifica

We are stuck with a car we are only a few months away from paying off and now cannot drive safely. It is our only vehicle at the moment and we have two kids in carseats who we don't feel are safe in our car. To know that Chrysler KNEW this was a problem and has done nothing about it for consumers is hugely irritating. Really, Chrysler!? Because the company filed for bankruptcy, they argued that "new Chrysler" wasn't liable for manufacturing defects caused by "old Chrysler." And unfortunately, the appeals court agreed and now we consumers are SOL. WHY is this acceptable!?!?

- Ashley G., Marshalltown, IA, USA

Oct 112016

Pacifica Touring 3.5L

According to our mechanic the rust is so bad that he can stick his finger through it. Since it is what holds the engine in the vehicle that is quite an issue. We have taken such good care of this vehicle and were hoping to drive it a couple more years before having to car shop. Now we are thinking it is too dangerous to drive and probably worth $0 trade in.

- pjdohman, West Point, IA, USA

Sep 132016

Pacifica Limited 3.5L V6

motor cradle rusted/corroded

We have owned 4 Chrysler vehicles, have 2 now - but never will own one again! I take pride in the care of our vehicles and try to keep ahead of the maintenance items. Took in our 2006 Chrysler Pacifica to have the P0456 code fixed fuel evap leak- another stupid management fiasco!! That's a another farce were the consumer is stuck repairing a system that should be covered by Chrysler (and the government) for the life of the vehicle. Anyhow my mechanic called and told me to take a look at the engine cradle. I was shock to see the extent of the rust on the main support that holds the engine in place. He told me the car is cannot be driven and the repair would be $2,000 with a used part. We live in the rust belt but that's no excuse for a structural part to be at the point of failure! Body panels are one thing - but amazingly ours has very little rust at all for a 10 yr. old car - but there's no excuse for Chrysler to poorly prepare a critical part that should be enable to withstand harsh conditions and outlast the rest of the vehicle. I'm an mechanical engineer and tool and die maker with over 30 years experience in automotive metal stampings. There's a way and the engineers probably had the right solution but the money people - who willy nilly drive down cost to enhance the bottom line - overruled the engineers. I understand a class action law suit is in the works and we will be a part of it! The most frustrating thing the car is essentially worthless unless the repair is done!! If we try to trade in the car the dealers are balking because they know of this problem and won't touch it with a ten foot pole. Chrysler and any manufacturer should stand behind their products and honor people who payed hard earned money for their product. The Japanese, German's and S.Korea seem to know this and manufacture sound vehicles from the start and don't tell their customers there's nothing they can do to fix a problem. THEY LEARNED FROM THE STUPID MISTAKES OF THE DOMESTIC AUTOMAKERS AND ENGINEER AND PRODUCE A HIGH QUALITY VEHICLE!!

- Cheryl T., Westlake, OH, USA

Sep 012016

Pacifica 3.5L V6

The cradle engine is totally rusted out. the engine is about to fall any day. its very risk to drive with my kids in it. thnx

- Olsi L., Southgate, MI, US

Aug 012016

Pacifica 3.5L V6

I WENT TO GET A 4 WHEEL ALIGNMENT AND THE GARAGE REFUSED TO WORK ON MY CAR. THEY SHOWED ME THE FULLY ROTTED ENGINE CRADLE AND TOLD ME IT NEEDED TO BE REPLACED ASAP. THE PART IS MORE EXPENSIVE THAN THE CAR.

- Erik C., Warwick, RI, USA

Aug 062016

Pacifica Touring 3.5L

Took my Chrysler Pacifica to have my dad replace broken motor mounts and discovered my engine cradle is almost rusted thru on both sides. Also my complete sub-frame is rusting away! I'm scared to even drive my car! Only vehicle I have to transport myself and kids and now I'm afraid to go anywhere. A new cradle is over $300 alone. I am disgusted!!! This should be recalled! It can cause a fatality if it breaks thru!

- Amanda B., Shelbyville, KY, US

Jun 112016

Pacifica Touring 3.5L V6

Was told by a mechanic that the sway I was feeling when driving the vehicle required replacement of the sway bars. Took the vehicle to another mechanic and was told I had to completely replace the cradle assembly which acts an an engine mount under the car, Mechanic would not let me drive the vehicle home because the rot was so severe he was afraid that it would completely give away and then end up dropping the engine in the middle of the road. Thank goodness it was caught before I dropped the engine while on the highway.

I was able to get the vehicle repaired but I was without the vehicle for about two weeks while he searched nationwide for a replacement. In addition he had another Chrysler Pacifica in the shop to replace the cradle for the exact same reason. Now what are the odds of that!!!

Mechanic also recommended buying a couple of cans of undercoat spray to apply myself to help prolong any further rust/rot attributable to the severe midwest winters where the vehicle is exposed to road salt, etc.

What a bunch of BS.

- Andrew J., Rockford, IL, USA

Jun 162016

Pacifica XLT 3.6L

engine is going to fall out, car is only 10 years old. should have life left in it but now it is scrap

- Ben H., Chesterfield, MI, USA

Dec 012014

Pacifica Touring 3.5L V6

As with most rust belt Pacifica's, I am suffering from engine cradle rust out. Terrible!

- Anthony K., Jackson, MI, USA

May 012016

click to see larger images

motor cradle rusted/corroded motor cradle rusted/corroded motor cradle rusted/corroded

I have put a lot of blood, sweat and tears into this vehicle and at every turn something new arises. The front end of this vehicle has been a nightmare since I bought it in 2012, but everything was repairable. Now, with this recent development (which, was not nearly as terrible as it is now, last year when I replaced the anti-sway bar bushings it was still alright), I am in a position where 1. My family of 5 is in danger, and 2. I cannot afford to replace it, nor am I able to trade it in for a new vehicle... I love the comfort level and smoothness of this vehicle, but is is just a progressive nightmare- Now I cannot do anything because Chrysler has refused to take responsibility for a design flaw- I am so frustrated and there is nothing that can be done about it but put money I do not have into it......Arrrrghhh!...CB

- Chris B., Pittsfield, MA, USA

Apr 092016

Pacifica Touring V6

click to see larger images

I have my vehicle serviced by the dealership every four months or so but the rusted out cross-member was just noticed for the first time yesterday. The mechanic advised me of the safety implications and the need to have this fixed.

The $3,050 to cover a manufacturing defect is a bit hard to swallow so I contacted Chrysler Customer Service today to find out if they could subsidize the cost. I was told that there is no funding available for this situation. The car is in otherwise great condition. I'm very surprised that after this issue has been the subject of several news investigations, including one on NBC 5 Chicago back in January of 2014, that nothing has been done to assist owners of these Chrysler vehicles. Ouch!

- Greg C., Carol Stream, IL, USA

Sep 262015

Pacifica Touring V6

Took my car to replace the links in the wheels. The mechanic then told me the subframe that holds the engine in is rusted through. I've been a faithful Dodge/Chyrsler owner in the almost 20 yrs I've been driving. This is my only means of transportation for my job and my 4 children. I'm a single mom living paycheck to paycheck. I just purchased this car in February 2015. Chrysler needs to fix this issue free of charge. I love the pacifica but in this economy who can really afford $3500 to repair their car. If Dodge/Chrysler refuses to fix free of charge I will not buy another Dodge product again. This is unacceptable for manufacturers to do to loyal customers.

- Barbara D., Rochelle, IL, USA

Sep 012015

Pacifica

Have had the Pacifica for 9 years and have not had many problems with it. It was getting brakes done and the mechanic noticed the Engine Cradle Rot was extensive. It had holes you could put your fingers through. I am contacting Chrysler now to see what they will do to help repair this. There are a large number of complains online for this very issue and as of now, it looks like they are ignoring it.

- Mike M., Shrewsbury, USA

Aug 112015

Pacifica Touring AWD 3.5L

After taking my 2006 Pacifica in for a routine oil change the representative showed me the extensive rust damage to my engine cradle and informed me that my engine could fall out of my car at any time. This is a potentially life threatening issue that Chrysler has yet to identify in the 2006 models. They have already admitted there is a defect in the 2004 and 2005 models as evidenced by the recall. Why not the 2006 models? I have proof with pictures that this defect exists, yet Chrysler has done nothing about it. Will it take the blood of myself or my 2 young children to drive some sense into Chrysler?

- kam3373, Sycamore, IL, USA