Notes: Consumer Reports road tests has noted deficiencies in the 2012 Avenger with regard to engine noise, acceleration, braking, handling, transmission, fuel economy, driving position and rear visibility. But at least it has a cool marketing campaign ... right?

2012 Dodge Avenger accessories - exterior problems

accessories - exterior problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Dodge Avenger:

2012 Dodge Avenger Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Nov 012016

Starting in fall of 2016 the vents only blow cold air out of passenger side and lukewarm air out of driver side. The windows do not defrost and fog up constantly during the winter time while I am driving. My vision is constantly impaired during cool and cold weather. My children have to bring layers of blankets to get to school without freezing. I have to drive with gloves on to keep my hands from going numb. I have had the thermostat replaced and the system flushed but yet the problem still goes on. I was told that the heater core would need to be replaced in order to fix the problem. This is an ongoing problem and not just a one time incident. I do not have an exact date for when it happened but instead every day the temperature was below 30 since I've bought the car in April of 2016.

- Papillion, NE, USA

Sep 012017

Ive been reading online that there are many people having the same issue I have with my car. When you turn the heater on the passenger side of the car blows out cold air. If I want the passenger side of my car to defrost I have to manually get out of my car and scrape it and even then the inside still is hard to see out of. I cant even bring my daughter in this car because the passenger side of the car seems like it is running the air conditioning in the middle of winter. There is also sometimes was a clicking noise under the passenger side dash which is the actuator. After replacing this it still does the same thing. I hear that it costs thousands of dollars to fix and I believe it is a manufacturer issue and they should resolve it.

- Odin, IL, USA

Feb 102016

It started almost 2 years ago, my heat in my 2012 Dodge Avenger started to not work. I have had it flushed 4 times and that never helped. I have had the blendor actuartor replaced twice and that did not fix the issue. I have also replacedboth thermostats replaced twice in the last year and that did not fix the issue. It seems to be a mystery to the three mecanics/dealerships that I have taken my car to for repair on what the issue is. I have looked up multiple complaints on this make, model and year and everything shows that it is a manufacture defect/issue which is the sand/sludge in the heater core and radiator. I am a single mom of 2 children and I don't need to be driving in a car with no heat when it is 0 degrees outside. I have had this car looked at multiple times and have put a lot of money into this car. With this car only being 6 years old, this should not be having these issues. This is not a customer defect this is a manufacture defect. I need Dodge/Chrysler to respond and repair this issue as like I said before have put a lot of money into this vehicle (100's and 1,000's of dollars) I bought my 2012 Dodge Avenger brand new, it only had 4 miles on it when I left the dealership, it wasn't even paid off when I started having the issues.

- Grand Rapids, OH, USA

Oct 112017

The heater core has failed causing only mild heat on the driver side of the vehicle. While only cold air will blow on the passenger side. With this failure from bad casting sand removal upon manufacturing of the vehicle it has caused the thermostat to fail causing my vehicle to run far below operating temp. Since the cabin space cannot receive full heat it makes for dangerous operating conditions in cold climates as I cannot defrost the front windshield. This has made operating the vehicle during winter dangerous as I cannot see while driving. The vehicle will not provide passenger side heat no matter if the vehicle is in motion or not. While in motion the vehicle will never get to operating temp nor will the front windshield defrost.

- Stevensville, MD, USA

Dec 012016

"window defrost and passenger heat /air. While either in motion or while driving, no heated air exits the passenger side of the windshield defroster, nor the passenger window defrost, lower and center console vents. Heated air only exits the driver's side windshield and driver's side dash vents. Problem persists through all cabin air modes, and circulations. This safety issue effects visibility and passenger safety by failing to defrost/defog windows and keeping cabin tempuratures near or below freezing during cold weather (blowing cold air into the cabin)." Have had numerous repairs over last year with no resolution. Known safety issue!

- Goshen, IN, USA

Dec 122016

Starting last winter,2016, heater began to blow cold air more so on passenger side. This winter took to very good mechanic who flushed system, checked actuator doors and electrical.he said how heater core was mounted causes residue, that can't be flushed out, and was causing lack of heat to most of cabin.also there is little or no defrost which is so very dangerous.many people have replaced heater core to find thr same thing happened again. Hope there is help.

- Monroeville, PA, USA

Oct 012017

Heater blows cold air on the passenger side at all times, and has weak heat on drivers side as well which causes windows to fog up and not be able to be defrosted limiting visibility greatly. It also is very uncomfortable being in the car without a properly working heater.

- Windber, PA, USA

Jan 111982

Window defrost and passenger heat /air. While either in motion or while driving, no heated air exits the passenger side of the windshield defroster, nor the passenger window defrost, lower and center console vents. Heated air only exit the driver's side windshield and driver's side dash vents. Problem persists through all cabin air modes, and circulations. This safety issue effects visibility and passenger safety by failing to defrost/defog windows and keeping cabin tempuratures near or below freezing during cold weather (blowing cold air into the cabin).

- Woodbridge, VA, USA

Nov 012017

I have a 2012 Dodge Avenger with approximately 60K miles. The heat did not work on the passenger side. I have an extended warranty and took it to a Dodge dealer for repair. I was told it was the heater core. The only sign was no heat, no leaks or smells. The extended warranty company was contacted but was told it was not a covered repair, it was a maintenance issue. I only take my car to the same Dodge dealer for all repairs, maintenance services, recalls, etc.. I paid to have it flushed, but that didn't work, so I had to have it replaced and paid $1100. I've read the same complaints from other Dodge Avenger owners. I contacted Dodge several times and each time I'm placed on hold for hours and once I get through, they rushed me off the phone. How could over 100 other Dodge Avenger owners have the same complaint as myself regarding the heater core. The dealer explained to me this is manufacture's defect and it should be a recall. There was nothing I could have done to prevent the heater core problem. This is a safety issue. No heat on the passenger side making it impossible to see clearly through the entire front windshield.

- Bedford Hts, OH, USA

Dec 062017

The heater core on the Dodge vehicles clogs easily. The way that clog develops only effects the passenger side heat. In these situations, the heat is available only on the driver side. This will greatly effect the visibility on the passenger side. This is a widely know complaint among all Dodge vehicles.

- Naperville, IL, USA

Dec 292017

The contact owns a 2012 Dodge Avenger. While operating the vehicle, the passenger side heater was faulty and only cold air blew from the vents. During the failure, the passenger side of the front windshield could not be defrosted. The vehicle was taken to all-star Dodge (11503 St. Charles rock rd, bridgeton, mo 36044) where it was diagnosed that the cooling system was clogged with sludge. The contact was informed that the entire cooling system needed to be replaced. The cause of the sludge was not determined. The manufacturer was notified of the failure and no assistance was offered. The failure mileage was 34,599.

- Maryland Heights, MO, USA

Dec 142017

The contact owns a 2012 Dodge Avenger. When the vehicle's heater was activated, the system failed to operate as intended. The contact stated that the passenger side defroster failed to defrost the passenger side windshield or the passenger side front window. The contact also stated that there was very little coming out of the driver's side vents or defroster and no heat was coming out of the passenger side vents or defroster. The failure caused ice to form on the inside of the passenger side windshield and front passenger side window. The vehicle was taken to don's auto clinic Inc (1110 N mitchell St, Cadillac, mi 49601, (231) 775-2413) where it was diagnosed that the dual heater core failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 66,500.

- Manton, MI, USA

Oct 022017

The contact owns a 2012 Dodge Avenger. While operating the vehicle, the heater would not blow warm air from the passenger side vents. When attempting to use the defroster, the front passenger side windshield and passenger mirror could not be defrosted due to the failure. The cause of the failure was not diagnosed. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure, but the local dealer was not. The failure mileage was 65,000.

- Harwood Heights, IL, USA

Aug 022017

Windshield wipers will randomly stop working. Issue happens when the vehicle is stationary and in motion. I was on the express way in a downpour rain and my wipers stopped working, I had zero visibility and had to pull over for 20 minutes until they came back on.

- Troy, MI, USA

Jan 102017

The heat does not blow hot air on the passengers side of the car. This includes the windshield, causing a safety issue as it only clears the fog on one side. Dodge service shop said the issue is a known Chrysler issue, requiring a new radiator, heater core, and coolant bottle. At an estimate of $2235. However Chrysler is refusing to do anything about it claiming it is not a known issue.

- Springfield, PA, USA

Feb 012012

Avenger 4-cyl

The heat blows hot on the driver side but blows cold on the passenger side causing the windows and windshield to fog up and reduce visibility not to mention possible frostbite from sitting on that side.....gets pretty cold here in Minnesota. Bought the car new and the heat has never really been great on the passenger side, but now it's like turning the a.C. on. I have read some interesting articles about people having the same issues and it sounds like it's a manufactures defect and pretty expensive to fix, doesn't matter if the car is at idle or going down the road.

- New Richland, MN, USA

Dec 142016

At around 100,000 miles my passenger side heat stopped working with only my driver side having some warmth. This was very sudden. Now, 3 weeks later there is no heat in my 2012 Dodge Avenger SE. It's the middle of winter and I cannot see because without heat I have no defroster. The car is not overheating, and my coolant levels have been fine. This is a serious safety issue which should warrant a recall on this vehicle. I am taking it to the automotive shop this week, but worry because I have seen people stating they had to pay huge sums of money for Dodge manufacturing defect. Please recall this defect.

- Madison, WI, USA

May 022016

My passenger airbag light comes on an off no matter if anyone is in the seat or not. Took my car to Dodge was told theres no recall yet I looked up my car in front of the service guy showed him the information he told me that wasn't true I would have to pay for my car to be check. Also my windshield wipers come on when they want to yet there's a recall for that as well an service continue to say the information not true. Do they just not wont to fix it. Both are so to the totally integrated power module (tipm), which is a control modual that needs to be replaced.

- Norcross, GA, USA

Apr 282015

I took my car to the Dodge dealership to be diagnose because of windshield wiper not working properly. When wipers are turn on they would randomly stop out of no where then take several seconds sometimes minutes before coming back on, the diagnostic came back internal short in tipm. I've noticed in many research online there has been many recalls and problem regarding tipm from Dodge, Jeep, Chrysler. Also I've had shortage in my power window not wanting to work but will eventually start again and air bag light is on all those could be related to the bad tipm. The first time I'd noticed the windshield wiper not working I was driving home from work on a raining night on the park way doing 65mph with a semi truck in front of me then out of no where the windshield wipers got stuck in the middle of the windshield I could not see because it was raining kind of hard so I had to drive 20mph with my emergency flashes on because I was less then a half of mile from my exit then I pulled over at the first store off the exit. The other scenario with the windows not rolling down I was on my way to the doctor my driver side window was down when I pulled up to the parking lot it wouldn't roll back up after I left the doctor I got home 5 hours later I decided to give it another try it was working find. My air bag light has been on for about 4months now and I've notice there's been recalls on my vehicle about the air bag.

- Bowling Green, KY, USA

Sep 032012

Driving car down I-20 on a clear day. When all of a sudden the windshield blades came on and stayed on for several minuets., this happened several more times. Dealer said there was no problem, because they could not see a code. Several months later it was storming and you could vaguely see several yards in front of you. Then with out warning wiper blades cut off. If somone else would have been around I would be dead.

- Grovetown, GA, USA