ANNOUNCEMENT: The Car Book 2018 is now online!

CarComplaints.com Notes: The third generation Durango is plagued by a defective TIPM, particularily in the 2011 and 2012 model years.

TIPM, which stands for Totally Integrated Power Modules, is responsible for controlling and distributing power to all the vehicle’s electrical functions. So when your TIPM goes haywire, bad things start happening. Things like your water pump can stop working, your engine can stall out and your airbags can randomly deploy.

2011 Dodge Durango engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Dodge Durango:

2011 Dodge Durango Owner Comments (Page 2 of 7)

May 032017

Durango

May 2017 my daughter was driving her 2011 Dodge Durango with 68K with two kids in the car, the battery light came on and then went completely dead shortly after. We got it to an electrical shop to find the battery was dead and the 180 amp alternator had stopped operating. After some researching I found a recall (P60) and it only applied to 160 amp alternator. I called Chrysler (case #31556595) to see if they could help and was denied. We had to pay for the repair which cost me $400.44. I feel this is a safety issue that should be included in the recall.

- Brockway, PA, USA

Apr 282017

Durango

My battery light came on while driving. I was driving 65 mph down rt 18 North in the colts neck area of NJ. Within 10 minutes after the battery light came on, my car acted possessed. The steering locked, brakes locked, wipers came on moving slowly, the heat came on, ABS brakes light came on, and the park assist came on. Luckily there were no cars directly around me and I was able to drift to the shoulder of the road where my car completely shut down and stopped on its own. The 180 amp alternator went and also fried my PCM. I am currently paying over $200 to rent a car. I am being told my bill will be about $2000 to replace the alternator and PCM. This is a very unsafe and a dangerous issue that should be recalled as the 160 amp alternator is already recalled for the same issues. Driving at a highway speed and your car suddenly completely shuts down can cause a serious crash. This is the 3rd major issue I've ran into as I also had my battery dying multiple times due to the fuel pump relay recall. Also, I lost my brakes suddenly and had to avoid an accident due to the brake booster failure recall. I do not think I will ever buy a Dodge again as they do not take responsibility for issues. I feel as though this vehicle isn't safe to drive.

- Fords, NJ, USA

Oct 152016

Durango

The contact owns a 2011 Dodge Durango. The contact stated that while his wife was driving at 40 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The power steering and the brakes also failed to function. The failure recurred ten times over the course of a year. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where the failure was unable to be replicated but the software related to the radio and the hands free module were updated however, the failure recurred. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and stated that they would be in contact with the dealer to determine a repair. The approximate failure mileage was 65,000.

- Fontana, CA, USA

Apr 162017

Durango

In the past 6 months I have paid over $3500 in repairs on the Dodge Durango. I was told and had to replace both catalyst converters and all 4 O2 sensors. Then the starter went out causing me to replace it. Now for the 3rd time in 3 weeks, I had to have my vehicle towed and now it appears the issue may be the alternator. I noticed there was a recall for 2011 Dodge Durango 3.6L, 160 amp alternators and I am not sure what amp my alternator is but my vehicle appears to have all the same issues as the vehicles that were under the recall, yet my vehicle is not included in the recall? I have been inconvenienced for 3 weeks now having to get rides to and from work and have had to cancel doctor appointments and school meetings due to the fact that both my husband and I need a vehicle and are having to share 1 vehicle with 5 kids. Our most recent issue occurred on easter Sunday while traveling with all our children, the battery signal appeared on our vehicle began smoking from under the hood. To avoid injury, we have had it towed to the Dodge dealership again for review. We have had 2 diagnostic checks going on a 3rd and no one is catching all the repeated issues. We have to replace the catalyst converter 2 times (November 2016 and April 2017), O2 sensors (November 2016), battery (January 2017), starter (April 2017) and now our newest issue has yet to be revealed but it appears it will be the alternator (April 2017). At what point will Chrysler take full responsibility for all the issues with the 2011 Dodge Durango. Reimbursement for all we have had to pay for faulty issues with the 2011 Dodge Durango would be appreciated. All these issues developed after the faulty tipm that we have paid out of pocket for 2X as well.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Mar 052017

Durango

I was driving in the city on a very busy street when the car made a weird siren noise; then my seatbelt lights went off, my park assist started flashing, my traction control other lights were flashing, the radio flashed off and on, then went out. Then my wipers went on, and then I lost power steering, brakes were not working, and the car slowly died. My hazards didn't even work, so I almost caused an accident. My car died in the middle of a very busy street and I had no hazards to warn anyone! a very scary situation to have especially with your 12-year-old daughter in the car.

- Beaver Dam, WI, USA

Jan 192017

Durango

Very unclear how my Durango was not included in the mass recall of alternators that immediately stop working and start to burn. Mine did just this, stopping my vehicle in the middle of traffic and almost causing an accident. I also smelled burning and there was smoke coming from the engine. It was towed to a nearby auto shop whereupon the alternator was replaced but the vehicle still did not operate. It was then towed to ganley Chrysler Dodge and that alternator removed and another put in. The vehicle also incurred costly repairs to the computer (PCM) system failing due to the alternator. I do not feel this is a normal wear and tear issue at 85K miles. I have called Chrysler and they refuse to assist, claiming I should not have had it repaired before calling them. The dealership never gave me an indication that I should proceed this way.

- Brecksville, OH, USA

Dec 092016

Durango

This is the 3rd time since August 2016- so 3 to 4 months timeframe- my Dodge Durango has died on me while driving. This means a complete loss of steering, lights, power, the vehicle is completely dead. This is a safety issue. I can barely make it to the side of the road without crashing. An investigation needs to be opened up regarding this. They have recalls against the alternator but are not honoring them.

- Methuen, MA, USA

Dec 042016

Durango

Vehicle has had campaign 14V530000 (and all other recalls and powertrain tsb's) performed. While driving on highways and rural roads, engine shuts off abruptly, causing loss of steering assist and only a couple brake actuations before brake assist is lost (occurred before tipm campaign, still shuts off after campaign). Typically occurs during coasting or mild braking when preparing to enter a turn (does not matter if right or left turn). No "check engine, " alternator, or other warning lights appear on the dash (as they would if the engine stalled) -- it is as if ignition switch were immediately turned off. Occasionally when engine shuts off, the instrument cluster gives a forward collision warning disabled warning (but the fcw does not beep, alert, signal, etc. Before the engine shuts off, and there was no obstacle to set off or block the fcw). Since engine seems to shut off, there are no codes active or stored after the engine shuts off. Repeated trips to dealership, and they can not diagnose, or cause the issue to occur.

- Flemington, NJ, USA

Nov 012016

Durango

On no 1, 2016 when I was going at work, I was driving on West park hwy (houston, tx), and suddenly my car stopped working in the middle of the road, all the system has stopped working, and the front car started smoking (burn, & fire). And I survived by the grace of god. I call the towing services so as to move the car from the hwy to my house. And I can't really tell you what exactly happened. But the constancy is, my car is not drivable until now. And my insurance company sent some expert so as to assess the risk, and they told me what happened is the defect of the constructor (Chrysler group llc), because there are more than 300 hundred cases of complaints similar with my explanations. And from this day to now, I am traumatized by this incident. It is the reason that I am writing to you so as to solve this hazard or main issue. And actually my car is parked at home (15770 bellaire blvd, #2107, houston, TX77083). My insurance claim number is: State farm: 53-0079-5S5. N.B.: I also attached the towing receipt issued by the towing services.

- Houston, TX, USA

Oct 262016

Durango

Safety issue on my 2011 Dodge Durango. While driving home after work late one night, the Durango started acting up like it was possessed. The lights would go on and off, the wipers went on and wouldn't shut off, seats went back and forth while driving!, radio, heat, ac. I was in traffic and finally managed to move over to a secure location out of harms way no sooner did I pull off the side of the road then the Dodge completely died. I had to coast down a hill. Tried to turn it over and nothing. No lights no radio no nothing. It was dead. Had to have it towed to the dealership. The dealer claimed it was the battery, installed a new one and sent me on my way. Fast forward to less than 2 weeks later- same problem. Driving to drop off my 5 year old and it starts acting up again completely possessed. How is this safe? I made it to work with it going crazy. At lunch, I went to start it and check it out. Dead. Brand new battery dead. 400 bucks down the drain- when that wasn't the problem. Not to mention the 200 bucks to tow. I brought it to a little shop around the corner and they couldn't find the problem and towed it back to the dealer. And there it sits. No one can figure out what is wrong with it over there. It is really pathetic. So now add'L tow charges-$200, no vehicle to get back and forth to work and child's stroke therapists, and had to break down and pay for a rental. What a joke thanks Dodge. They are well aware of the tipm issues and refuse to recall any of their vehicles. This is a huge huge safety issue. Everything just dies.. the engine the brakes don't work nothing.

- Methuen, MA, USA

Oct 212016

Durango

I was at the mall pulled into parking lot smelled a burning smell so I turned off engine and opened hood smoke started coming out no fire though tried to start vehicle again car completely dead. So had car towed of course was in parking structure and structure was so small no tow truck could fit inside so had to call a mobile mechanic to come out and he bypassed something to get car started drove car to outside parking lot so car could be towed. Mechanic said alternator and battery fried. So replaced them. Come to find out that PCM was also fried so need new brain for car! looked on website Dodge/cryseler have recall on alternator....you guessed it not on my vehicle though!! there is a recall on 2011 Dodge Durango alternators but not on mine yet my alternator goes out for no apparent reason!! ridiculous

- Lakewood, CA, USA

Aug 012016

Durango

The contact owns a 2011 Dodge Durango. While driving 70 mph, the engine stalled without warning. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the transmission control module failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired; however, the failure recurred. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 44,000. The VIN was not available.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Jul 222016

Durango

2011 Dodge Durango recall# 14V634000, electrical system, alternator. The truck was in motion on a busy city street and stopped abruptly. The entire computer system went out, causing the alternator, and the battery to be disabled. Dodge refused to reimburse for the 2K we paid in repairs.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Sep 042016

Durango

Vehicle in motion traveling at 65 mph. Vehicle lost all engine and electrical power. No lights or indicators on dashboard. No power steering. Limited braking power. Coasted the vehicle out of traffic to the shoulder of the road. Shifted vehicle into park and waited 5 minutes. After 5 minutes electrical power returned and was able to start vehicle and drive it home. Found complaints online of similar problems.

- Nashotah, WI, USA

Aug 172016

Durango

The car has an intermitent that during the transition from cold engine operation to warm engine if you take your foot off of the gas (to slow down for a traffic light or to make a turn) the engine will stall, losing power steering. It is intermittent in that it must be at a certain point in the warm up cycle. I am unable to let my daughter drive the car as she does not have the strength to control the car without power steering.

- Walled Lake, MI, USA

Feb 162016

Durango

The contact owns a 2011 Dodge Durango. While inspecting the vehicle, the contact noticed engine oil leaking from the timing chain into the alternator. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the left cylinder and timing chain gasket needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. A few months later, while driving 25 mph, the battery warning light illuminated. After shifting the vehicle into park, the contact noticed smoke coming from the alternator. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the alternator needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The contact was aware of NHTSA campaign number: 14V634000 (electrical system), but the VIN was not included. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 77,000.

- Cheektowaga, NY, USA

Jul 112016

Durango

I was driving with my kids getting our day started. I turn on with remote start was making loud screeching sound. Loaded up kids and started to take off. We could all smell a bad burning smell. I check all temps on car and nothing read high temperature. I drove on my way to daycare when my car stalled and shut down. And it had previously did this B4 like 4 months or so and a recall of fuel pump was done and had been running fine till this day. I tried starting it a few times nothing. Finally turn on and battery light came on. I drove it to drop of my 3 kids at camp when it kept feeling like it wanted to turn of. Still smelling burning. Finally I'm headed to work and it stalled in middle of intersection. Thank god I didn't have my kids with me and no accidents happened. I had car towed to local mechanic because dealership is and hour away. He said alternator gave out. Put new alternator in still nothing. 600 dollars down drain. Now I have to pay towing to get to dealership which will mean just more money down the drain which I don't have the extra money and use this car for wk so hopefully I don't lose my job. I don't understand how I have same exact problems as another 2011 Durango under recall but mine ain't one of them. Do you have to wait till someone is seriously hurt or killed to have a recall. If none of this is resolved properly I will be hiring a lawyer. I have only had vehicle for 2yrs.

- Las Vegas, NM, USA

May 032016

Durango

I had a battery light in the morning, but my battery was new. As I was driving my air conditioning stopped working, my radio screen flashed, went off and the entire car died while in motion, I barely stopped in time. The engine wouldn't even try, and me and my two infant children were stranded in the middle of a busy street in 100 heat. The police officer had to help us, we called a tow truck to take us home. The mechanic who looked at the car said the alternator internally grounded and fried the computer and the battery and explains the burning smell just prior to the car dying.

- Mesa, AZ, USA

Apr 192016

Durango

The vehicle stalls while you are driving it happens frequently and there is no fix that has been found to stop this issue. It has happened while driving on streets and the highway. This has happened multiple times.

- Upland, CA, USA

Apr 092016

Durango

While on the highway I a check battery light appeared on my dash, I planned on checking into it at the upcoming gas station which was about 3 miles away, as I approached the offramp to the gas station all kinds of check engine lights and ABS and you name it started showing in my dash followed by the wipers and next thing you know the car dies out. Lucky for me there was no vehicle in front of me because I could not steer or brake because it was very hard or locked, I managed to pull over just before the gas station and sensed the smell of burned wire, I noticed I was not completely off the road so I tried putting vehicle in neutral but it was locked in park, also my key was stuck in the ignition. Local mechanic changed the battery first and still had the check battery light on so he reccomended a new alternator as well which I bought immediately, $900 later here I sit with new alternator and baterry but still the same problem with vehicle stalling and check battery light on. Dealer says my vehicle is not in the P60 recall even though I have/had the same 160 amp alternator as the recalled vehicles. This is a serious issue which can become deadly if not fixed asap. Im sure of one thing, never in my life will me or my family buy a Dodge again.

- Wildomar, CA, USA