2008 Dodge Grand Caravan electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan:

2008 Dodge Grand Caravan Owner Comments (Page 1 of 39)

Dec 082015

Grand Caravan

There was a recall for win module on my vehicle. NHTSA number 14V-373. I was told by the dealer that the parts were not available and I would be notified when they were. I took the vehicle to the dealer for an oil change and when it was finished I noticed on the invoice that they had done the recall. The problem is they could not have performed the recall because they did not have both fobiks. I asked the service manager about this and agreed they had to replace the fobiks then he started to double talk and said I was better off because the new fobiks did not have all the buttons that mine had. I do not believe the recall was completed! I believe this is very dangerous for a dealer to tell a customer that a recall has been completed when in fact it has not.

- Florissant, MO, USA

Jan 162018

Grand Caravan

While parked in driveway, the horn started blowing erratically, headlights were on, and front and rear windshield wipers and washers operating. Door locks would not respond to remote. After S short period of trying to unlock the doors with the remote, they either responded to the remote or unlocked by themselves. At that point I attempted to turn the ignition on and start the vehicle. I started it and then turned it off but that did not stop the horn, wipers, etc. A few seconds after shutting the ignition off, everything stopped. Front and rear wipers did not return to park position until I manually turned them on and off. I started the engine again and had a check engine light with error codes related to the tcm, transmission control module. In addition, while driving, the heater blower motor intermittently stops working. All of this appears to be the result of a faulty tipm, totally integrated power module. This has happened twice in the last two weeks. First occurrence was 1/11/18 and second occurrence was 1/16/18. Searching online revealed that mine is not an isolated problem as there are many reported instances of tipm failures with similar symptoms.

- Chesapeake, VA, USA

Jan 082018

Grand Caravan

All the code light flashing on the dashboard, wiper automatically come on, speedometer cuts down to 0 when driving, driver side windows wouldn¿T roll down or the lock switch wouldn¿T unlock doors, lights flicker on and off while they are shut off, if lights on can¿T use bright light they cut out when all the code light flicker on. Like it shorting out. It does this sitting still or in motion. Happens when I am driving or sitting in a parking lot

- Chateaugay, NY, USA

Jan 032018

Grand Caravan

I was driving on a busy main city road at night, traveling around 35 mph when my van shut off and the wipers and horn went crazy. I lost all power steering and brakes. Headlights also cut out. I struggled to get to the side of the road and into a parking lot. The front wipers stopped when I turned the key off, but the back wiper and horn continued for about 10 min. I did not have tools to disconnect the battery. Suddenly there was a flash of all the lights in the car and everything seemed to be back to normal with the exception of the check engine light appearing on the dash. I was able to restart the vehicle and drive another half mile to my home. This is the first time this has happened while driving, that I have lost all engine power and steering, it is not the first time the van has acted out. Wipers will suddenly start moving when I am driving or the horn with suddenly sound and radio will cut out. I have also had it go crazy with windshield wipers moving, horn honking, locks malfunctioning and fluid sprayed all over the car when I unlocked it. My wife once had my kids trapped inside of the care for 10 mins until I could I drive over and disconnected the battery. I have been told it is the tipm acting up. It has happened more than 10 times. I do not trust the vehicle. I have read about many more instances online. This could cause an accident if it was in rush hour or on a busier road.

- Burley, ID, USA

Jun 252014

Grand Caravan

The contact owns a 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 14V373000 (electrical system, air bags); however, the parts to do the repair were unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. On several occasions, the contact called port city Chrysler Dodge at (888) 496-5156 (155 greenleaf ave, portsmouth, nh 03801) where it was confirmed that the parts were not available for the recall remedy. The manufacturer was notified of the issue and was not able to confirm when the parts were to become available. The contact had not experienced a failure. Parts distribution disconnect.

- Newburyport, MA, USA

Aug 222017

Grand Caravan

In June had the tipm replaced as it was causing the horn to go off and stay on, the wipers to go off and stay on and other electical issues. These symptoms returned in the last month (I was traveling during the return of the issues) and this time, about two weeks ago, while doing 55mph down a secondary highway, the car's horn and wipers came on and the car completely shut off - the engine shut down. The dealer replaced the tipm again.

- Little Rock, AR, USA

Aug 312017

Grand Caravan

Took my van into jeff wyler eastgate auto mall, in batavia, oh 45103, to have the two recalls fixed on my van and when I call to check up on the progress I get told that the tipm needs replaced and they are wanting to charge me $1,337.60 to fix it before they will even be able to fix my recalls. Both recalls are the ignition and the air bags, both of which are caused by the faulty tipm. So what are they repairing and replacing on my recalls knowing that the tipm is the main reason my van has recalls to begin with. The recall for my air bags is as follows: The airbags will either deploy at will or not deploy at all. The letter I got informing me of my recalls stated that it could be in the wiring harness or other places connecting my van to the airbags. The recall for my ignition is as follows: The airbags will either deploy at will or not deploy at all. The letter I got informing me of my recalls stated that it could be in the wiring harness or other places connecting my van to the ignition.

- Goshen, OH, USA

Jul 072017

Grand Caravan

The contact owns a 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan. While driving on several occasions, the horn sounded independently, the headlights flickered on and off, the windshield wipers operated independently, and the radio increased in volume independently. In addition, the vehicle stalled and was towed to seaview Dodge (located at 810 NJ-35, ocean township, NJ 07712, (888) 382-6788) to be diagnosed. The mechanic was not able to duplicate the issue or retrieve a fault code. The manufacturer was notified of the failure and provided case number: 32145138. The approximate failure mileage was 85,000.

- Ocean Township, NJ, USA

Jul 292017

Grand Caravan

Several times the horn began sounding a long blare, the windshield wipers came on, the washer fluid started spraying, the doors locked, and the headlights and rear lights began flashing, all lasting several minutes. It began while driving and continued after I stopped the car, turned it off, and removed the key. The symptoms worsened about a week later when all of the above happened as well as the gear shift indicator lights began flashing, the stability control light came on, the check engine light came on, the bas light came on, and then the car shifted itself into neutral. This has happened several times and has become more frequent.

- Conway, AR, USA

Jun 032016

Grand Caravan

I received the recall in the mail and went to the Dodge dealer over a year ago and never heard a thing from them again. Recall R03 / NHTSA 14V-373. Sometimes I have to put the van in netural to start the van. It stopped on me while I was out (parked) and Firestone advised me to start the van this way because nothing was wrong otherwise. Sometimes my rear window will close itself.

- Austin, TX, USA

Jun 142017

Grand Caravan

Driving, parked, starting, and on its own sitting in garage. The electrical system goes crazy intermitently. Horn, wipers (front and rear), door locks, and wiper fluid engage. While driving the power steering and brakes fail. Very dangerous problem and needs attention with the amount of complaints I am seeing on the internet on forums for this model of van.

- Drumheller (Alberta) Canada, AL, USA

Jun 172017

Grand Caravan

The van was idling in my driveway then all of the gauges, instrument panels lights, indicator lights and windshield wipers were turning on and off independent of the cab controls. I turned off the key and it all stopped, but the headlights did remain on. When I turned the key back on the erratic behavior resumed.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Jun 012017

Grand Caravan

Tipm failure causing vehicle to randomly while driving or parked to turn horn and front blower motor on and off by it's self. Dealer is replacing today.

- Perrysburg, OH, USA

May 012017

Grand Caravan

Driving down freeway and van stalled. Coasted to road side. Wipers go crazy when car is parked and drain all the cleaning fluid out. Have not been able to clean windshield of excess dirt to see more clearly. Car has gone crazy. Everything electrical goes berserk randomly. Never know what may or may not work.

- Huntsville, AL, USA

May 122017

Grand Caravan

Tipm electrical problems ? (1)the engine stalling while driving, dash flashing, eps/bas light and (ABS) light coming on with traction control light too then van dies or shuts off.also mileage and prnd display blinks rapidly.this happens when sitting still or driving.seem's to happen even when engine is cold or hot on the city streets or highway.(2)my van has had 4 or 5 battery's that have went bad, also sometimes it wont start, I get a jump start, go get the battery tested at auto zone but there's nothing wrong with the battery, (3)horn works but if you need to honk more than 2 times it stops working but later it works, sometimes it wont start and you take the key out and open the door then close the door and you can start it. Also lately it has been harder to start.also you can't play the radio without the motor running it will run the battery down? but the 1st year I had the van 2011 I could run the radio all day long with only starting it up for about 5 minutes every hour.also cruse control works then stops working.these things have happen over and over, in a 7 year period sense April 2011.I believe it is a tipm electrical problem.can you send me a new one I am a veteran one a small disability check sleeping in the van.there is a video of the problem on youtube.I did not know there was a problem with the tipm. I though I was playing the radio too long, or the alternator was going bad but the alternator never showed bad in any test or has not stop working.so it was the tipm (fuse box)going bad all the time.thanks to youtube, see at- 08 Grand Caravan tipm on youtube.com ? also a video at 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan electrical problems 2014 03 05 2019

- Memphis, TN, USA

Apr 242017

Grand Caravan

As previously occurred, Chrysler concealed a known safety defect from its customers and then refused to help with repairs. The defective component is called the totally integrated power module (or tipm). The tipm consists of a computer, fuses, and internal relays, and is responsible for controlling and distributing electrical power to the entire vehicle¿everything from steering and brakes, to the alarm, headlights, and the fuel pump. Since the tipm controls power to a wide variety of essential vehicle systems, including safety and security systems, the defect often leaves the vehicles incapable of providing reliable or safe transportation. Many class vehicles fail to start (or take dozens of attempts before the engine will turn over) because of the defect, and vehicles start up at other times only to stall, sometimes while traveling at high speeds. Vehicles also continue running without the key in ignition. The tipm defect has caused headlights and taillights to suddenly shut off. It has also caused horns to honk, car alarms to sound, and windshield wipers to activate all on their own. The tipm has also caused airbags to not deploy in some scenarios.

- Kingwood, TX, USA

Apr 182017

Grand Caravan

Electrical flips out randomly for no reason. The car gets turned on and lights on the dashboard go on and off. The vehicle dings and the windshield wipers go bacl and forth. I caught it on camera. We turned around and went home. We are unsure if out vehicle is even safe to drive and we have kids. So we are stranded and can't afford to fix an issue that Dodge says doesn't exist. This has been happening for years of and on but now it is trying to do it while we drive. It will not let me upload video but I can email it to someone if they need it.

- Troy, MT, USA

Apr 062017

Grand Caravan

Defective tipm, lost electric power in 2013 at 26,000 miles. Part replaced, paid $1200. Defective tipm, lost electric power in 2017, at 36,000 miles. Only 9000 miles later, part needs to be replaced again, cost estimated around $1300. The same part in other year models were recalled, 2008 model was not included in the recall. Contacted Dodge, they refuse to take responsibility for this reoccurring and life threatening problem, caused by defective tipm. Luckily, both times it happened, the vehicle was not in traffic.

- Valparaiso, IN, USA

Apr 042017

Grand Caravan

The contact owns a 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign numbers: 14V373000 (electrical system, air bags) and 16V047000 (air bags). When the contact attempted to shift gears, the transmission seized without warning. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the wireless ignition node module and the occupant restraint controller needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired, but the issue recurred. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 100,222.

- Tao Baja, PR, USA

Feb 212017

Grand Caravan

Vehical's horn will sound, windchill wipers go off and spray washer fluid, and doors will lock themselves. This will happen whether the van is running or not. Started 1 and half years ago. Taken it to dealership twice and they cant find anything wrong with it.

- Peoria, IL, USA