8.4

$4,000

2014 Dodge Grand Caravan transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 Dodge Grand Caravan:

2014 Dodge Grand Caravan Owner Comments

Mar 162017

Grand Caravan

Check engine light came on and coded P0868, which is Transmission line pressure low. Brought to the dealer and they said it was low on fluid and since it was close to the manufactures suggested trans. service mileage @ 60,000, have the trans flush & filter done. So we had that done and a month later, check engine light on, coding P0868. Will update after servicing.

Update from Apr 22, 2017: It's only been a few days since we've got the vehicle back and so far, so good. Fortunately the fix was covered under the powertrain warranty. Turns out it was solenoids in the transmission. But this vehicle has less than 60,000 miles on it and this hasn't been the only issue. Word to the wise, stay away from Dodge Caravan.

- Michael M., North Augusta, SC, US

Oct 012014

Grand Caravan SXT 3.6L V6

Purchased new with 40 kms in it.

Rough shifting since purchasing, but noticed other GCs did this as well so considered it "normal".

Had my van in to dealership for a few other warranty and recall repairs and was shown a picture of my transmission oil pan with some of the transmission sitting on the magnet as metal flakes. I may need a new transmission now.

Was told the dealership will call me on Monday to let me know what the fix will be.

I have had multiple issues with this vehicle since purchasing it new. I have emailed a complete list of them to FCA Canada Customer Care and the reply from them was "Too bad for you". My request was simply that they give me some consideration towards an extended warranty seeing as the vehicle and parts in the vehicle are obviously substandard in quality. They have refused. It is obvious Chrysler does not care at all about their customers knowing their product is garbage. I don't mind purchasing an extended warranty to cover this piece of garbage, but think Chrysler should pay half of that.

- Don S., Niverville, MB, Canada

May 142015

Grand Caravan SXT Blacktop

Van started shuddering really badly when changing low gears like you were driving over really rough pavement. Then there would be a loud thud and it would change gear and the RPM would go into the red and the check engine light would come on. It consistently did this over an over. Brought van back to dealership on May 25th 2015. Was told that the transmission needed to be taken apart so they would have it a few days. That was the last I heard from them. So on May 27th I called and they said it would be a few more days as they were waiting for parts.

On Friday May 29th I called them again stating that the lack of communication was horrendous. I asked them what was the problem and they said I wouldn't understand. I told them to try me so they said it would be at least another week. They said that inside the transmission there was a pinched seal; the part that failed was the compounder and low reverse. He said they are also replacing the clutches and seal kit. I am really nervous about this as the vehicle is so new and we spent a pretty penny on it.

- snippit, Duncan, BC, Canada

Apr 262014

Grand Caravan SLT 6 cyl

I had my van maybe 2 weeks when I noticed it did not shift right. I have taken my vehicle in twice already with the same complaint of shifting rough. Sometimes it's so bad that I wonder if I've left anything behind in the road. I finally gave up with them telling me there was nothing wrong with my van, then I took it in for an oil change. When they asked if I had any complaints, I told them it wasn't worth complaining because they wouldn't do anything. The service manager then asked if it was the transmission. SO they know there is a problem with the Caravan's transmission but Chrysler isn't will to do anything about it. At the time they had 2 other Caravan's in there with complaints about rough shifting. I guess it hasn't caused any accidents or deaths so Chrysler doesn't see a need to do anything about it. WILL NOT BUY ANOTHER CHRYSLER EVER!!!!!

- K K., Miami, FL, USA

Jan 012014

Grand Caravan SXT 3.6L

it is bad bad bad transmission ride like hourse

When start from 0 RPM up to 2000 Transmission gear changing from 1 to 2 to 3 like something falling off. It like off gear and jump. when braking transmission gears down instead of down 6 to 5 to 3 it down like no gear and RPM go up even gas pedal not applied at all.

And the gear 1 or 2 or 3 tap in make the car jerking back and forth. The colder the wheather the problem getting worst. Finally transmission gears changed not smoothly at all.

- Young H., Jacksonville, FL, USA