- May 29: Dodge Durango Racetrack Tail Lights Recall Needed, Says Lawsuit news | 8 days ago
- May 25: Dodge Dart Clutch Lawsuit Settlement Preliminarily Approved news | 12 days ago
- May 6: Feds Investigate 2009 Dodge Journeys Over Electrical Problems investigations | 31 days ago
- March 15: Dodge Durango SRT Hellcat Lawsuit For 'Very Special' 2021 Model news | 83 days ago
Oil Sludge Resulting In Engine Failure
1999 Dodge Intrepid (Page 1 of 8)
This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Dodge dealer.
CarComplaints.com Notes: The Dodge Intrepid, Stratus & other Chrysler sedans are infamous for oil sludge problems with the 2.7L V6 engine. If someone offers to sell you a 2.7L V6 model, it's only worth the price of the scrap metal it's going to shortly turn into.
NOTE: Only the 2.7L V6 has the oil sludge problem. Our "Avoid like the Plague" designation is ONLY for models with the 2.7L V6 engine. All other available engines are very reliable with no major problems.
Even with regular maintenance, the oil sludge defect eventually destroys the 2.7L engine typically around 80,000-100,000 miles. The only true fix we know about is to put in the larger 3.2L engine, which has a great reputation.
This issue was never deemed a safety defect by the Feds, so there was no recall. In the end, Chrysler got away with FOUR YEARS worth of defective 2.7L V6 engines in their sedans.
- Typical Repair Cost:
- Average Mileage:
- 87,350 miles
- Total Complaints:
- 141 complaints
Most Common Solutions:
- not sure (52 reports)
- replace engine (52 reports)
- not worth repairing, buy a new car (14 reports)
- don't buy a Dodge Intrepid (11 reports)
- rebuilt part of engine (5 reports)
- class action law suit (2 reports)
- No one has added a helpful site for this 1999 Intrepid problem yet. Be the first!
A D V E R T I S E M E N T S
Never buy this piece of junk ,i even hate to admit that Japanese make better cars than this sh*t..Wasted my money on this utter crap and one day on highway got stalled wont turn on.Tried everything that could fix it but not it wont.In the end the Mechanic said change the engine.I am not dumb enough to change engine which will cost me more than buying an another car.Never buy dodge cars between 1997 - 2000 they are utter crap.
- coldmine, Ajman, Ajman, United Arab Emirates