ANNOUNCEMENT: The Car Book 2018 is now online!

2010 Dodge Journey electrical problems: dead battery

Dead Battery

2010 Dodge Journey

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Dodge dealer.

CarComplaints.com Seal Of This Might Hurt

CarComplaints.com Notes: I hope I can stop you from buying this vehicle before you find out that it won't be able to stop you.

7.7

$510

2. replace battery (4 reports)
  3. problem solved...so far (2 reports)
2010 Dodge Journey electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Dodge Journey:

2010 Dodge Journey Owner Comments

Apr 142018

Journey FWD SXT

I tried to return this lemon but without knowledge and money I'm stuck. I just spend any extra money I have. Heart broken and broke I wish they cared. Now waiting for AAA to tow me and tapped out, please God help me.

- Sherdina L., Forest Park, GA, USA

Jan 092018

Journey SXT 3.2L

TIPM FCA well aware. 2008 Dodge Journey. FCA discontinues the part! Presumably because there are multiple complaints with multiple vehicles using this same part. Class action in California. How can a company discontinue a part integral to the operation of the vehicle on an 8 year old vehicle?

Update from Feb 9, 2018: Problem traced to the TIPM module. An 8 year old vehicle and FCA obsoleted the part with no replacement! How is this possible?! If you can find one, which I did, the cost is around $700.00 for the part alone!

Had the vehicle back for two days, Won't start. Check Engine light on. Traced to the WIN module; Ignition switch. Another $600.00 repair. At least this time they had the part.

FCA has multiple recalls on TIPMs and WIN modules. Yet mine isn't one of them! Really?!!

- Anthony L., Bluffton, US

Jun 302017

Journey RT

Bought this vehicle used, everything was fine for about 2 weeks. One day I unplugged my phone charger and the radio/gps froze on. Turned the car off and radio/ gps/ uconnect still on. Finally had to pull the fuse, put the fuse back in and everything was fine. The car alarm would go off intermittently, then the battery would die. Replaced battery with a brand new one. Couple days later battery dead. Took it to the dodge dealer and paid for a computer update, which stopped the alarm from going off all the time. They also pulled up a code of B1A79 that has to do with antenna wireless remote ignition module. But there were no recommendation for fixing it apparently. Unfortunately about once a week I have to jump it due to dead battery. This morning had to jump it, started right up but the radio/gps/ uconnect wouldn't turn on . Drove it to work and after couple of hours started it up and radio/gps/ uconnect worked. Called the dealership and now they want $100 per hour to hook it to a voltage meter and battery tester and it could take 3 or more hours.

- Constance S., Manistee, US

Nov 012017

Journey R/T

Have hand fuses pulled from my horn for several years..local Dodge dealer could not keep my horn from honking....whenever. Have had three new batteries in a month but if the car sits overnight it won't start and the battery is drained. Have had diagnostics run twice and nothing can be found faulty. Have not wanted to take it to the dealer but may be forced to as a highly recommended electrical shop cannot find the issue. Car was bought new, 54K miles, have never been notified of any recalls. Have missed work, used all my yearly AAA calls/tows. and am truly frustrated. Called customer complaint, 800-992-1997, for assistance, but got nothing. A Supervisor is supposed to call to tell me if I could get a 3-day rental.

Update from Jan 8, 2018: Mechanic at local Dodge dealer installed a new horn assembly. I now have a horn & the battery is not draining. Cost was under $300. Woo hoo!!

- Peggy C., Gainesville, US

Jun 012016

Journey SXT V6

I had problem with my Dodge Journey from the first couple of months I got it. First problem was with the radio. I was not sure what the problem was but when I got to the U.S. I had it change out. One day on a drive my window just open on they our. I thought nothing of it until few month later it happen again. This time I had to turn the car off and back on the close the window. After dealing with a possible electrical problem, 4 years later I had to replace the radiator. Who replaces a radiator after 4 years of owning a new car? I'm still having problem with this car and I don't know who to turn to with the problem. Now there is something draining my battery. I've changed the battery 4 time already ever other day If I don't start the car the battery is dead. I'm done with dodge, it was a beautiful car when I brought it, but if I thought I was going to have this much problem with this car I would have went with the Volvo XC90.

- Sierra D., Junction City, US

Oct 122016

Journey XLT 3.5L

Replaced battery. Three months later the new battery continually would die overnight. Have recharged the battery many times. Nothing wrong with the battery. NAPA Gold battery. Along with the other things happening electrically I believe it to be caused by a faulty 'Totally Integrated Power Module' (TIPM).

- shealeyfam, Honea Path, SC, USA

Dec 312013

Journey V6

The battery is in the wrong place. It is over the driver side wheel well. it needs to be changed at a garage.

- sharonon, Keewatin, ON, Canada

May 072015

Journey SXT 3.0L V6

Car battery dies over night. Sometimes hear a ticking sound in the TIPM. Must charge the battery to get going again.

- Robert L., Panama City, FL, USA

Jun 082015

Journey 4 cyl

Background: Bought car used in Jan 2015 with 185000 Km mileage. At purchase dealer put on new battery.

Now: After a number of minor electrical problems we hit a bigger one. While traveling at 110 Kph on the highway the battery low light came on. Aware there was a possible issue we still tried to make the city. On the outskirts the acceleration stopped and we were forced to pull over at a coast. A family member came and tried to boost us. Car started but when unhooked it sputtered and died. We jimmy rigged a new battery and jumper cables to enable us to get the 10 minutes further to get home.

We replaced the really hard to get at dead battery with the new battery....New battery was dead today (next morning)....

After looking on line we see there is a current problem with the TIPM and think this may be our issue.

- Rhonda D., Winnip, MB, Canada

Aug 032014

Journey UT

its bad when you cant find the stupid battery then you find out that its in the wheel well you have to take the front driver side tire off just to put in a new battery. how stupid can anyone be by putting the battery in such a place & even though autozone & advance says if you buy our battery we will install them free they would not with this Dodge journey cause of where it is & all the bull you have to do to get to it.

- revondajohnson, Nebo, NC, USA

Apr 152011

Journey 4 cyl

I have had three batteries in less than two years and complete new brakes after only 18000 miles!

- dalesparkles, Sterling Heights, MI, USA

Sep 222011

Journey SXT 3.5L

I was looking at a new Dodge Caravan. Saw left over 2010 Dodge Journey, got it cheap. No problems until 1,970 miles. Vehicle sat for two day. Went to use it battery was low, lights were good, engine didn't start. Waited for the weekend (two more days) to go to the dealer. That morning battery was completely dead and the doors unlocked. Long story short- dealer found no codes or anything. They charged my battery and said there was nothing wrong just a low battery. I hope my Journey isn't going to be like the other ones I read about with all those electrical problems.If it is ,I'll go back to Ford.

- Joseph J., Perth Amboy, NJ, USA