CarComplaints.com Notes: I hope I can stop you from buying this vehicle before you find out that it won't be able to stop you.

8.7

2010 Dodge Journey engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Dodge Journey:

2010 Dodge Journey Owner Comments

Aug 102018

Journey

Like many others complaining regarding this issue, this is an intermittent issue that is extremely annoying. My wife and I never really know if this lame vehicle will start or not. We literally swap between the Dodge Journey and our Chevy Equinox each week, because we can't afford to have one of us late for work all the time! Ridiculous.

We have taken this piece of crap to various repair shops, have spent a lot of money trying to get this issue fixed, and each time, no one has been able to fix the issue. What good is it to own a vehicle that you MIGHT be able to use when you NEED it?

Just yesterday, I took our Journey for a "journey" to the gas station, which is about one-half mile from my house, to put gas in the tank. Started fine at my house, stopped at gas station, put in $20 (I won't fill the tank, EVER, because I fear it may not ever start again), paid the attendant, went to my car, tried to start it...NOTHING. Tried several more times...NOTHING. Called my wife to come pick me up, PUSHED the car to a parking spot in the gas station lot. Tried several more times to start the car while my wife was on her way to pick me up in our CHEVY Equinox, which ALWAYS starts...Dodge still wouldn't start. Wife pulls into gas station, tried to start DODGE once more, and the effing piece of CRAP starts. WTF?

The same thing happened to my wife two weeks ago. She drove the car to work, which is roughly a 30 minute drive from our house. The Journey started up fine in the morning, however, when she got out of work, the Journey would not start. After many futile attempts to get it started, she had a co-worker drive her home. Later that night, she asked a friend to drive her to see if she could get the car started. Sure enough, when she went back the car started right up. Again, WTF?

Note to Dodge: Unless you fix this issue once and for all, I will NEVER purchase another Dodge. I will NEVER recommend a Dodge to a friend. I would, however, recommend a Dodge to an enemy.

HERE is the ISSUE in a NUTSHELL: In order to be able to DRIVE a Dodge Journey, you have to be able to START the engine that sits within the Dodge Journey. When the engine doesn't start, the car is NOT DRIVE-ABLE, and thus ceases to be an AUTOmobile. It then becomes a PUSHmobile. THAT IS NOT FOR WHICH WE PAID THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS! We paid for an AUTOmobile. It's time Dodge owns up to the issue and offers a FREE solution to the issue, preferably one that actually FIXES the issue, of course.

If anyone from DODGE would like to pick up our Dodge Journey for EXTENSIVE testing, I am definitely open to that option.. They can have it for as long as they need to work out the issue. Just let me know.

- Brian A., Appleton, WI, US

Dec 112017

Journey

Another Dodge Journey 2010 problem......Woke up one morning to go to work (at hospital) and the car would not start (turn over). I had problems with this prior but I would take the key fob out and try again. But when I tried December 2017 freakin nothing! I am a single person who believes my car is my husband, "meaning" I take really good care of this car because without it I can not function. So I had a jump service come out to jump car...nothing happened. I had to catch a ride to work for 12 days. I got super frustrated and called the service again, this time the guy used his automatic jumper and his car...STARTED. I purchased a battery and had to take it to 3different places because no one wanted to take tire off to get to battery. Finally a repeatable company charged $56 car was good from 12noon till 6pm. Got up next day (on call at hospital) stupid car did not start!! Next door neighbor used his truck to jump brand new battery...did not work. He drives salt trucks for city and used the big truck and jumped after 8 try's! Took car to dealer...could not find anything wrong! Why do I have to get another car? This is not fair! Dodge, just recall!

- harveyrachael, Indianapolis, US

Jan 012017

Journey SXT 3.5L V6

This has happened numerous times. We have been stranded because the engine will not start. So, I read online about possible "solutions"...if the starter just clicks and the engine will not start, put the car in neutral and then crank it...it does work, but you shouldn't have to resort to a "HACK" to start your car!

- ballgood729, Alberta, US