2012 Dodge Journey brakes problems: premature brake wear

Premature Brake Wear

2012 Dodge Journey

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Dodge dealer.

8.3

$520

1. replace all rotors and pads (10 reports)
  3. replace rotors, pads, sticking calipers (3 reports)
  4. replaced rotors (1 reports)
2012 Dodge Journey brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Dodge Journey:

2012 Dodge Journey Owner Comments

Jul 132016

Journey SXT 3.6L

This is my first and last purchase of a Dodge product. I had my previous vehicle (1999 Saturn Homecoming Edition SL2) for 14 years and did not have any problems, just routine maintenance was required. I would have purchased another Saturn if not for the fact GM no longer made them. The mileage on the Saturn when used as a trade-in when the Journey was purchased was 117,585 original kms.

My journey is a pleasure vehicle only, purchased in January, 2013 with a current original km reading of 50,394, accumulated over a period of 3 years, 6 months.

I was not aware there was a problem with the brakes until I took the vehicle into my local Dodge dealership for Safety Recall S08 (Power Steering Hose and Fluid Cooler). I then received a telephone call about problems that had been discovered in the 35 point inspection, which I had not requested but in retrospect am thankful it was conducted. The major issue is required replacement of rotors and brake pads. In fact I was told it was a metal on metal situation and that I must have been aware there was a problem with the brakes, such as grabbing, noise etc. I had not.

What bothers me the most is that a vehicle that is maintained religiously could develop such a serious problem when only used as a pleasure vehicle with such low km.

I've learned my lesson. When I can afford to unload this LEMON I'll return to GM products. They served me well over the years.

- Sheryl C., Olds, AB, Canada

Sep 032014

Journey SXT 3.2L V6

Well I didn't know anything like this existed and ever since I have had this car, I've replaced brakes every six months and it continues today as I write this. I know I got lots of miles on this as of this date, but the brakes are so costly. It's a problem that makes me want tell others not to purchase a Dodge Journey. I need some relief and at the time of this writing I got to replace them again.

- Kila R., Flint, US

Jul 012016

Journey

Brakes on a car with 42k miles should not need to be replaced, rotors definitely should not need to be replaced. They weren't down to metal on metal, but the brakes were shot. After some research, it appears the braking system for the journey is severely undersized.

- Chase E., Katy, TX, USA

Nov 022016

Journey CVP 2.4L

Since I purchased my car in 2012 I have done the brakes and Rotors literally 3 times before (90K). now I'm due to do them again as I brake and get the steering wheel shimmy....ugh what a POS!

- samoya, Calgary, AB, Canada

Jul 102015

Journey SE 4 cyl

After 1 year of driving, the left rear brake pad was used to the bone. My husband replaced it thinking we had defective pad. The same problem re-occurred a year later - same side, same problem. I brought it in to the dealership and they could not find anything wrong that would explain uneven wear 2 years in a row. They changed both rear brakes (rotors and pads) - they agreed to cover the installation cost but I had to pay for parts.. Guess what? My left rear brake is used to the bone again and needs replacing.

- mguy, Ottawa, ON, Canada

Sep 152016

Journey SXT 3.2L V6

Had to replace brakes on back wheels for the 2nd time in a little over a year and a little over 9,000 miles. Original brakes lasted to around 31,000 miles, then the pads and rotors had to be replaced. About 2 months later, there was a sticking caliper which was also replaced under warranty with a $100 deductible. Just picked up vehicle today after having brake pads and rotors and calipers replaced for a 2nd time. Can't believe this happened - does it mean I am going to be replacing brake pads, rotors and calipers once a year hoping that I even get 9,000 miles? I was told by Chrysler, Jeep, Dodge service that this is normal wear and they are Chrysler recommended parts. It doesn't seem right to me.....why didn't the 1st replacement brake pads and rotors and calipers last at least 31,000 miles.

In May, 2016, I had to replace the front brakes too, I hope they last longer than 9,000 miles. Doesn't Chrysler care about their vehicles - I would be ashamed!!!!!!

- janetlct, New Fairfield, CT, USA

Jul 072014

Journey SE Plus 2.4L

I only found the problem at about 42k. My very trusted mechanic thinks it occurred at around 25-30K, due to wear. Who thinks of getting a full brake job in the 2nd year of a new car? It was the front brakes. Rear went a couple months later.

Update from Jan 23, 2016: The brake issue was at 24k KM, not miles.

- Mark W., Toronto, ON, Canada

Oct 172015

Journey LX

Definately an engineering issue, known to be sub-standard for the application, according to 3 shops I brought it to.

- Brian F., North Bay, Canada

Aug 152014

Journey

Noticed rear wheels heating up to the point of smoking. Could tell by smell and how hot the wheel hubs got that the calipers were sticking. Went to Chrysler repair shop and of course they could find NOTHING wrong. A month later still had this intermittent problem of sticking calipers. Went to my mom/pop repair shop and they found caliper was seizing up. Screw Chrysler, They could find nothing wrong so I had them (mom/pop shop) fix it. They used Chrysler factory parts.

Six months later, rear wheel started heating up again so took it back to mom and pop shop. They took calipers apart, greased up all moving parts and put back together. working good for now, just have to wait and see longer term results. Got a feeling that due to poor design of the calipers or something causing them to seize up from road filth or perhaps corrosion from road salt (I live in the North). Just have to wait and see.

Have had several other problems over the last three years also...from headlight wire harness shorts to CPU failure. Those were under warranty though so Chrysler fixed them....I just don't get it with this car though.... nice to ride in but keeps breaking down.

- lfrasier, Gasport, NY, US

Sep 122014

Journey CVP

Since 2013 I have had to replace the rear pads and rotors 3 times. I used to drive a Cubevan for a living and only replaced pads every 70,000kms as they wore properly and rotors every 150,000kms. This brake problem pisses me off to the point that I'm ready to let it be repossessed, rather than keep paying for this piece of junk.

- Andrew C., Truro, Nova Scotia, canada

Oct 182014

Journey SXT 3.6L V6

OK, so do the front rotors on a Dodge Journey have to be replaced every time you put new pads on?!!! I don't wait till the brakes are grinding, and I don't buy cheap pads. Original Mopar Ceramic pads, changed within a week after they start squeaking from the wear sensors. Second time changing them in October, second time this happened. driving at normal speeds, start braking, fine. Highway speeds, started braking, front end shaking, steering wheel all over the place!!!! Scared the crap outta my Wife!!! Mopar Rotors!!! Looked to be in good condition when I placed the new pads on, but boy was I wrong!!! Got new rotors again, put them on. Now the vehicle rides fine. Is there a defect in Mopar rotors? Should I buy another brand? The pads I buy are already over $50!! But if I am to replace pads and rotors every time I do the brakes, I want to know why!!! Never had to do this before.

- Andre G., Cicago, IL, USA

Jan 092015

Journey LX V6

Car has had many issues. Water in door, Door Jam Rust, Dash broke, and now rear inside breaks and rotors need replacing due to premature wear. The car only has 25,000 miles on it. They told me 2 oil changes ago the rotor was wearing which was unusual. They agreed but said nothing to worry about. Now, they are down to 2mm and all need replacing. I have never had rear brakes go out on a car this early...and the rear no less. They are charging me $500 to replace and it is not covered under warranty. Are you kidding me?

- katph, Nashville, TN, US

Jul 012013

Journey TY 4 cyl

We bought this vehicle new late 2012. By 28000km the brakes were worn to the metal and the rotors shot. Replaced them all and now at 39000km, its making the same noise. I hesitate to go on any highways as I'm not sure it will stop if needed. Hoping Dodge will step up and upgrade the braking system. Very disappointed

- Debbie K., Barrie, Ontario, canada

Aug 212013

Journey R/T AWD 3.6L

The brake pads and rotors were replaced on all wheels at 27,013 km on warranty. One of the rear wheels squealed at times but I didn't pay very much attention to it. I live in the country where most of the roads are not paved and I thought it was just dirt. When I was changing the tires to snows in Nov 2014 and checked the right rear brake there was no pad and the rotor didn't look good. This was at 43,782 km only, 16,769 km since it was fixed.

In my opinion brake pads should not wear out in 16,000 km. I have a service appointment in a week on Friday Nov 14 2014. I am wondering if Chrysler has come up with a fix for the brake problems with the journey which seem to be very common. I would like to have the problem fixed for good. It is nearly 40 km to the dealership from my home and I do not wish to travel there very often to get problems fixed that should not occur in the first place.

- Tom H., Dunchurch, Ontario, Canada

Oct 152014

Journey SXT V6

Terrible brake wear after only 38K miles. Definitely trading in

- sfarley, Fort Lee, VA, USA

Sep 222014

Journey SXT 3.6L V6

17000 miles and many dollars later replaced all rotors and pads uncalled for

Chrysler is aware of problem for years and doing nothing

they are losing a loyal customer

- gmatheny, North Olmsted, OH, USA

Aug 012014

Journey V6

Less than 25K miles on this vehicle and rotors are worn and need replacing. Pads also need replacing. NEVER owned a vehicle where brakes started to wear this early. Will be trading it in for a Toyota, not worth our time and money to repair.

- Kindel N., Kansas City, MO, US

Jun 202013

Journey Crew V6

I feel that a 2012 vehicle should go longer than the brakes and rotors did. The other problem is where the battery is located, there's no cover over it and road junk coats the top. The battery terminal rusted off and left sitting until could get help. The other problem is when really, really needed the traction control slipped or something.

- Ruth G., Salem, OH, USA

Jun 062013

Journey ES 2.0L

The brakes started squeaking and when I had to take the car in for a NUMBER of other problems I got the proverbial "can't find anything" even though they know damn well that the Journeys ALL have brake issues, they never checked them. Now, 4 months later the noise was so loud that people on the street would turn to see what the heck was coming.

After 4 trips to the dealer who had NO IDEAS I took it to my local mechanic who test drove it with me and said it's the rear brakes. Sure enough, the pads and rotors were shot. So, I took it to the dealer with this information and they said it was the type of pads that have metal in them and they are going to always make that noise...and that even if they replaced them it would probably not fix the problem...WTF. THEN, they said they could rotate the rotors for $388...WTF. This is such a joke. They know the same problem that has been on the 2009, 2010, 2011 is still there and they are not going to do a darn thing.

On top of all this, my Uconnect didn't work, the AC vents stopped working, the radio & CD would lock up or start switching tracks or stations. I took a video of them going crazy and the dealer still said THEY COULD DUPLICATE THE PROBLEM SO IT DIDN'T EXIST...AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

I will never buy another US made car again. Junk! And the dealers are an embarrassment and joke. They stand there and lie to your face and expect you to just suck it up and let them rip you off. Ah...how about NO!

- dunnwithuscars, Providence, RI, USA

Mar 012012

Journey LX V6

My vehicle is just a year old and I am on my 6th set of rotors and they cannot fix it, NOW THE HEAD IS gone on it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- Shawna C., Pennfield, NB, canada