8.5

1. Dodge should issue a recall (378 reports)
  2. replace dash (120 reports)
  4. bought a dash cover (8 reports)
  5. glue it back together (5 reports)
  6. dodge needs to pay for 1/2 or all the cost of parts/repair (2 reports)
2001 Dodge Ram 1500 accessories - interior problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Dodge Ram 1500:

2001 Dodge Ram 1500 Owner Comments (Page 18 of 30)

Aug 162007

Ram 1500 318 V8

I HAVE BOUGHT A 1500 RAM AND I KNEW THE PROBLEM OF THE DASHBOARD, AS A MATTER OF FACT THE DASH WAS CRACKED WHEN I BOUGHT IT USED. I AM AN AVID DODGE PERSON, I'VE OWNED A 1963 CHRYSLER 300 WITH PUSHBUTTON AUTO. TRANS. I GOT FROM MY GRANDMOTHER GOD REST HER SWEET SOUL. I'VE OWNED A 1973 DODGE TRADESMAN 100 VAN WITH 3 ON THE TREE THAT I CONVERTED TO 2 SHIFTERS ON THE FLOOR, I KNOW WHY 2 SHIFTERS, BUT IT WAS SWEET, ONE SHIFTER FOR 1st AND REVERSE AND THE OTHER FOR 2nd AND 3rd, EACH HAVING THEIR OWN NEUTRAL. ANYWAYS I'VE ALSO OWNED A 1994 PLYMOUTH VOYAGER THAT HAS GOTTEN ME FROM HELL TO VICTORY IN IT'S RESPECTED PLACE. I NOW OWN A 1998 PLYMOUTH VOYAGER AND 2001 DODGE RAM 1500 THAT I AM VERY SATISFIED WITH, OTHER THAN KNOWING THAT DODGE HAS HAD A PROBLEM WITH THE DASH AND NO PLANS TO FIX IT. LISTEN DAIMLER-CHRYSLER IT'S PEOPLE LIKE ME THAT HAVE BEEN DEDICATED TO THE DODGE FAMILY FOR MANY MANY YEARS TO TELL YOU THAT YOU MUST FIX THIS PROBLEM. I AM THE LOYAL DODGE FAN THAT WILL DRIVE A DODGE UNTIL THE DAY I DIE KNOWING THAT THE TRUCK I BOUGHT HAD DASH PROBLEMS; HOWEVER YOU DO NOT WANT AMERICA THINKING DIFFERENTLY ABOUT YOUR PRODUCT, YOU MUST THINK ABOUT THE CONSUMER. I HOPE TO SEE A CHANGE VERY SOON AND AM VERY DISAPPOINTED TO SEE THAT THE #1 TRUCK IN AMERICA TODAY IS A ford, FOLLOWED BY CHEVY, AND THIRD IS DODGE, FURTHERMORE, I DO OWN A 1984 CHEVY S10 BLAZER WITH 180,000 MILES ON IT AND IS STILL GOOD AS NEW AND HAS NEVER BEEN IN THE SHOP FOR ANY RECALLS OR MAJOR REPAIRS. DODGE GUYS YOU KNOW YOU HAVE A PROBLEM AND YOU NEED TO FIX IT OR ELSE OTHER AMERICANS ARE GOING TO KEEP BUYING CHEAP IMPORTS THAT THEY CONSIDER A BETTER BARGAIN. IF WE DON'T KEEP THE TRADITION OF GOOD QUALITY AMERICAN MADE MANUFACTURING ALIVE THEN WE'VE GIVEN IN AND SOLD OUR SOULS TO THE ALMIGHTY DOLLAR. FIX IT.

- , West Columbia, SC, USA

Sep 272009

Ram 1500 V6

Huge crack just appeared one day from front to back of dash on drivers side near center

- , Sugar Land, TX, USA

Mar 152004

Ram 1500 XLS 5.2L V8

Over the last 5 years I've read hundreds if not thousands of complaints on Dodge Ram 1500 dashboards falling apart. I took mine to the local dealer in 2005 and they said it was a sun problem and it would cost $850 to replace it. I'm glad to say that dealer has been closed becuase of the resession. I can't believe that with so many complaints that some hotshot lawer has not offered to file a class action law suite.

- , Birmingham, AL, USA

May 012004

Ram 1500 360

Dodge needs to recall this they seem to think its not dangerous enough but these parts are falling in the vents and blocking up the a/c which is adding another problem besides the fact that it can be harmful to my children if they hit it wrong and get cut on it. If my children or wife gets cut on this and needs medical attention you can bet dodge will be getting the bill from my attorney

- , Lecanto, FL, USA

Mar 022009

Ram 1500 1500 5.9L

This is a huge safety hazard! The heat from the sun is going to melt insulation on the wiring.

- , Cumberland, MD, USA

Sep 122009

Ram 1500 SLT 3.9L V8

An update on my previous post. My dash has proceeded to crack ALL OVER the place! There is one HUGE crack on the passenger side, right from the heating vent by the windshield to the passenger side airbag cover (where that piece of plastic stops). I'm going to have to replace the entire dash soon, because if the cracks continue to spread, I'll have pieces coming off. What a pain in the ass.

- , North Creek, NY 12853, USA

Mar 012008

Ram 1500 5.9L

WHAT THE HELL! I work for G.M. I buy a Dodge truck and the dash board gets a new crack in it once a month. The cup holder fell apart and the top lights fixers and holders broke off. The dash board is a saftey hazzard for me and my family. Dodge would you like to be taken off the market,because it is looking that way. Make the recall before someone gets killed by a air bag or something else.

- , Warren, OH, USA

Mar 152008

Ram 1500 Sport 5.9L V8

I can't believe Dodge hasn't issued a recall or even addressed the problem.

I've just watched the cracks get worse and worse.

Looks like CRAP.

- , Redding, CA, US

Feb 012005

Ram 1500

Dash first started cracking in 2005. 4 years later, it has big holes. Dealer said it was due to sun but it has always had a windshield cover when parked outside even for a short time. Never seen other vechicles do this in the sun.

- , Piedmont, SC, USA

May 042008

Ram 1500 Sport V8

I will not purchase another Dodge. I have been a Dodge person for a very long time and am extremely disappointed with the appearance of the dash. I take extremely good care of my truck and really like it but the dash makes it look trashy.

Update from Aug 16, 2013: Now the dash has completely fallen apart. This will be the last Dodge that I purchase this dash issue is a large one and I feel that Dodge should have recalled these trucks and fixed the problem. Once again, I am very disappointed and although I have been a die hard Dodge person, I now refer folks to a competitor.

- , Louisville, KY, USA

Jul 012005

Ram 1500 V6

My 2001 Dodge Ram pick-up has been fairly reliable for the most part, but it started with one little crack and within 6 months or so the dash has lost huge chunks. It looks like crap. I have always taken care of vehicles and this is definitely a manufacturing problem.

- , Oklahoma City, OK, USA

Aug 062004

Ram 1500 V8

I just went out one morning to go to work and there were cracks in the dash. It has completely caved in. This issue with this make and model is outrageous and the mfg needs to stand behind it. This was my husbands truck and he is died a few months prior to this happening. This truck means alot to me but I can not afford to fix the problem. It shows me what Dodge mfg thinks of their customers. They should be forced to recall the dash.

- , Dover, AR, USA

Jul 012006

Ram 1500 5.2L V8

This is the worst thing ever from any vehicle I have owned!!! Most all the dash has fallen in and have huge gaping holes now.HELP!!!!

- , Livingston, TX, USA

Oct 012006

Ram 1500 SLT 5.9L

Yet another cracked dashboard for dodge. Two cracks which run from the windshield to the font of the dash, Last one I will buy. Ford looks like it might be a good choice.

- , G-town, KY, USA

Jun 012007

Ram 1500 ES 5.2L V8

Appears to be the same problem as everyone else. I'll be looking at a different make next truck.

- , Cape MAy Court House, NJ, USA

Aug 272009

Ram 1500 1500 5.9L V8

click to see larger images

cracked dashboard cracked dashboard cracked dashboard cracked dashboard

I am really disappointed at Dodge for not being up front on the dash, I paid a lot of money for my truck, I would expect better service from an American company, That is whay a have several Toyota's

- , Olympia, WA, US

Jun 012006

Ram 1500 SLT 5.9L V8

I bought this 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 with the 5.9L V8 BRAND NEW to pull a camper and for hauling "stuff". I purchased an extended warranty (7 yrs./70,000 miles). In June of 2006, with only 36,000 miles on it, I had to have the transmission replaced. When I took it to the dealer I noticed a small hairline crack in the dash. I didn't think it was worth mentioning at the time and that the dealer would just tell me it was usual wear. Here it is only three years later (55,000 miles) and now the dash has six large cracks from the passenger side airbag to the driver's side, where the cracks are connected. It appears I am about to have a large hole in the dash above the instrument panel. I am just now finding out this is not an isolated incident. I got on the net to look for a replacement dash and BOOM!! I find hundreds of other complaints from Dodge Ram owners who are experiencing the exact same thing. How in the world can the Chrysler Corporation see all of these complaints about the same defective part and NOT admit they have a problem? How can the Chrysler Corporation NOT do the right thing and pay to have these dashes replaced? How can the Chrysler Corporation NOT take care of their customers? Well, a big time rv manufacturer recently went belly-up siting the tough economic conditions. However, their demise is more likely the result of pushing out a piss poor product for the last ten years. I know this first hand as I was one of their victims. Man, I guess I'm going to start spending a little more money to get a quality product that will last and the company will stand behind. Today's Chrysler Corporation obviously does not fit into that category. It is a shame because I have been a mopar man since buying a 1972 Plymouth Roadrunner when I was 17. Wish I still had it!!

Update from Oct 13, 2009: Ok, I called Chrysler Customer Care and the lady was very nice. She had me take my truck to a local authorized service department to get "diagnosed". When the service manager saw the six large cracks (about 10-12 total cracks), she said there was definitely a problem and would call Chrysler back. She also warned me and said she didn't think Chrylser would do anything due to the age of my truck. A few days later, the nice lady from Chrysler called me and advised they would replace the dash BUT I would have to pay a $265 "co-pay". Rather than argue and risk getting nothing at all, I accepted the offer. I figure this is probably half off their price and would be more if I was to go and have it repalced on my own. I really didn't expect them to do it for free anyway. Now my truck will look practically new again. The real bummer is I could have had it done for free under the extended warranty I purchased when I bought the truck. However, I was misinformed by the dealer that this was not covered and the warranty expired just last year. This dealer is no longer in business either.

- , Danville, IL, USA

Aug 102009

Ram 1500

The air Conditioning Coil went bad and as soon as the screws on the dash were loosened, The dash cracked in two places. Approximately 3 inch cracks. Won't buy Dodge again.

- , Dayton, OH, USA

Jul 012008

Ram 1500 V6

I drive two 2001 dodge ram 1500's. One is my personal vehicle and the other my work truck and both of the dash boards are almost completely caved in. At first with my personal pick-up I thought it was my habitual use of armor all. Once the dash in my work truck started falling apart I knew it wasn't what I had done, rather dodge puts shisty (new word feel free to use it) dash boards in their pickups.

- , Seminole, TX, USA

Oct 052003

Ram 1500 318 V8

The top of my dashboard is

gone!!! It completely fell in pieces and chunks. Thought the first crack was a minor problem.....but he_ _ dodge you really screwed up this time, and big time!!!! You fly to Washington and cry and beg for a bailout so you can make more s_ _ _ like this!!! I think the gov. should have bought us all a new dashboard and told you to go take a flying leap!!!! I'll never buy another Dodge product again. Congress should have given your bail out money to Ford and GM and let you go sell pencils on the corner.

- , Abingdon, VA, USA