8.9

1. helicoil insert (33 reports)
  3. bigserts are inserts instead of helicoil (9 reports)
  4. tapered seat insert in head (not helicoil) (6 reports)
  5. cylinder head repair kit (5 reports)
  6. cal-van kit is 18mm and worked (3 reports)
2002 Ford F-150 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Ford F-150:

2002 Ford F-150 Owner Comments (Page 4 of 5)

Nov 142011

F-150 SuperCrew Lariat 5.4L

This has happened too many times to too many people for Ford to ignore, along with the dealership, running up the bill by installing parts I did not need, has been enough to persuade me to no longer buy anymore Ford Products. I owned 3 Ford trucks at the time of the problem. But I will buy no more. Ford just brushed me off like I didn't count, but loved me while I was buying their junk.

- , Willards, MD, USA

Dec 222011

F-150 FX4 Lariat Supercrew 5.4L

Ford's triton spark plug problem is getting out of hand. There is comments all over the web and nobody is doing anything about it. There is people in this world that work for the little money we receive from pay checks and need every bit of it and cant afford repairs that ford should have fixed a while ago.

- , Dowagiac, MI, USA

Jan 132012

F-150 King Ranch 5.4L

This has happened 4 times over the years. Two holes are now helicoiled one hole the plugs was just replaced. Yes, that is 4 blowouts on 3 cylinders.

- , Camas, WA, USA

Dec 212011

F-150 LX 4.6L V8

I was traveling down the freeway at 60 miles an hour when I heard a loud noise under the hood followed by a lot of clattering. I was 135 miles from home. So I pulled off the freeway onto the shoulder. I looked under the hood; starting from the grill searching to the rear looking for the problem. I first thought I had broken the belt, then I saw a sparkplug lying on top of the engine and the coil bracket broken and the coil lying on its side.

I did not have any tools with me, so I limped to an auto parts store thinking I could just replace the coil. The manager said it may be worse than just replacing the coil. He had spoken to others Ford owners that the spark plug was stripped from the engine. He even said one of his customers had just purchased a low mileage 2007 Ford from a dealer and asked to have a tuneup. He was told that it would be $3,000.00 for the tune up because the Triton engines don't hold their spark plugs. He would have to have the engine bored and new sleeves put in.

Ford appears to be knowledgeable of their defects or at least their mechanics are. There should be a recall of all Ford Triton engines.

- , Newberg, OR, USA

Sep 212011

F-150 King Ranch 5.4L Triton

have had truck to same garage for same problem (spark Plug Blow Out) have finally got a appointment with a mechanic to proper fix the issue so it doesn,t happen again , also understand there is a civic law suit against ford for this know defect on there 5.4 triton gas engines.Would like to know how I get my 2 cents in on this so that ford ends up paying for this , so far it had cost me 350.00$

Update from May 28, 2016: has ford motor company taken responsibility for this? and are they giving back money to customers who have paid to have this corrected?

- , Kitchener, Ontario, Canada

Apr 222011

F-150 FX 4x4 5.4L V8

I am one of the people who have had the original factory spark plugs eject from the engine, which indicates there is a defect with the engine & cylinder head design.

Where I work, four of us have the same year truck, three of us had the same spark plug ejuct problem! The fourth guy only has 40,000 miles on his truck, so were all waiting for it to happen to him! Just another of Fords better ideas-I DON'T THINK SO!

- , Fort Morgan, CO, USA

Sep 052011

F-150 Harley Davidson 5.7L

Ford Dealership in Georgetown TX wants $5000. to replace cylinder head after spark plug blew out of the engine. These are original spark plugs and NO one should have to incur this type of expense. Was Also advised that they may have to long block the engine at my expense. Ive been a loyal Ford man for 15 vehicles. Notwithstanding if Ford doesn't step up, I'll move on!

- , Pflugerville, TX, USA

Aug 052011

F-150 5.5L V8

Ford has a problem with their eng. and wont take care of it. I for one will never buy another Ford.

- , Orange Park, FL, USA

Oct 062010

F-150 Xlt Lariat 5.4L V8

First plug blew #7 10/2009 the day after an oil change at the dealership, shamed them into repairing it for parts, then on 5/2010 I blew plug #4 this one cost $700 because I needed an insert. I asked them to check all of my plugs because I was told that they would only blow if they were lose. Then 10/2010 (1 year and 4 days later) plug #7 blew again, not covered under the warranty from the repair because it was 4 days after the 1 year warranty,so I had a local reliable mechanic repair it and replace all of my plugs, he said there were 3 plugs that were lose, really only 5 months ago they were checked, anyway so far so good. I did forget to mention that my local dealership told me that they have a truck in about 2 to 3 times a month but this is not considered a flaw or recall problem.

Really! I like this truck and I can't afford to buy a new one, b I am afraid to take it on a long trip.

- , Carleton, MI, USA

Jul 012010

F-150 LX 4.6L

my F150 4.6L blew out plug and burned hole in pistion head needing new motor 3500bucks if they have more threads in cylinder head there would be no problem then they could call it a trition and be pride of it problem is fixed more threads on newer engines but for people like me with 2002 4.6L have to bite the bullet if they changed the new engines they should take care of people who had problems with older engines no problems with engine until plug blew out then all hell broke out

- , Spencerport, NY, USA

Nov 052011

F-150 4.6L

Just installed a new motor 3.5 months ago and this happened. I'm pissed right off. After talking to mechanics and the place I got the engine at, they tell me this is a common problem with these engines. Why the f#ck doesn't Ford pay up and do a recall? There reputation is already f@cked up. According to stats on the internet, there are some 20 million odd customers that have experienced the same thing.

- , Inuvik, NWT, canada

Jul 212011

F-150 5.4L V8

THE # 3 PLUG BLEW OUT WHAT A PAIN I AM TRADING THIS TRUCK AS SOON AS IT IS FIXED I AM SORRY TO SAY THAT AS A LONG TIME FORD LOVER THIS WILL BE THE LAST FORD I WILL EVER OWN

- , Harmony, PA, USA

Jun 012011

F-150 FX4 5.4L

As I search the issue with my F150 I have realized that the blown out Spark Plug is a huge issue. Ford needs to step up and fix this with a recall and make it right.

- , Gill, MA, USA

Nov 112009

F-150 Harley Davison 5.4L Supercharged

No recall on this is not except able. This is dangerous problem and needs to be addressed. I love my truck but now I do not have any faith in it to travel any place.

Update from Mar 17, 2011: REPAIRED WITH HELICOIL

Mar 032011

F-150 Harley Davison 5.4L Supercharged

While the mechanic was delivering the truck, it blew out the plug on him. This crap sucks and Ford should be responsible.

Update from Mar 17, 2011: IT WAS FIXED WITH ANOTHER HELICOIL AND IT BLEW OUT ALSO

Feb 252011

F-150 Harley Davison 5.4L Supercharged

This is the second time now and it was the same plug. It was repaired by a very reputable mechanic and he used the insert instead of the helicoil. Still blew out at 55 mph with out any rawhiding of the truck.

Update from Mar 17, 2011: FIXED YET AGAIN. THIS TIME WITH INSERT. MAYBE THIS WILL DO THE JOB

Dec 232010

F-150 Lariat 5.4L Triton

Just before Christmas eve, and boom goes the engine.doing 75 on rt 80 with 40 miles to go to get home,I limped home. The plugs have been in for 75000 miles so Ford cant say they were installed wrong but they can say the problem was fixed after 2004. I replaced it with the Cal-van kit and it fixed that issue but I here a death knock on the lower end right in that area ,probably rod bearing and probably caused by bthe compression relief when the plug busted out like a scud missile,thanks ford.

Update from Feb 22, 2011: Well its not the lower bearing and that sucks because its a wrist pin, great, cant fix that by pulling oil pan, running it till it blows and buying a Chevy.. The kit I used worked great, I also bought the scope for looking inside the piston chamber when I did the work.. 384.00 total and 45 mins of my time that I will never get back,,,THANKS AGAIN FORD!! PS,As soon as it goes I'll have a kit for sale to replace the poor workmanship of Ford engineers great NO THREAD IN HEAD FOR PLUG problem

- , Wind Gap, PA, USA

Jan 252011

F-150 5.4L

this is the second time this has happened to my truck in less than 2 months! this is bullshit! I am sure that the ford motor company would like to keep their reputation of ford trucks being built ford tough, and I'm starting to think they are wrong!!! RECALL THIS TRUCK!!!

- , Springfield, OR, USA

Dec 102010

F-150 5.4L

come on ford motor company back your product up and recall this motor!

- , Springfield, OR, USA

Dec 162010

F-150 5.4L

this is the third plug I have had to fix, I have spent over 1600.00 in service, ford should recall ....what a joke

- , Claremore, OK, USA