ANNOUNCEMENT: The Car Book 2018 is now online!

2002 Ford F-150 seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Ford F-150:

2002 Ford F-150 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Apr 282017

F-150

Drivers side seat belt does not lock at any time

- Houston, TX, USA

Aug 012017

F-150

The contact owns a 2002 Ford F-150. While driving 50 mph, the contact noticed that the driver's seat belt unbuckled randomly. The failure also occurred on the front passenger side. The dealer (simi valley Ford, 2440 1st St, simi valley, ca 93065) stated that there were no recalls attached to the VIN and, with the vehicle being a different year than what was in the recall, the failure would have to be paid out of pocket at a cost of $700. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure through email. The contact was awaiting a response from the manufacturer. The failure mileage was 180,000.

- Simi Valley, CA, USA

Feb 132018

F-150

Front driver and passenger seat belt buckles randomly unbuckle themselves. When fastened, the buckles seems secure. Pull severe times on them and they do not unbuckle. But, while driving, they unbuckle themselves periodically. This has been occurring for a long period of time.

- Simi Valley, CA, USA

Feb 032018

F-150

On 2002 Ford F-150 supercrew front passenger seat belt randomly comes unbuckled.

- Mckinney, TX, USA

Nov 052017

F-150

On 2002 Ford F-150 driver and passenger seat belts randomly come unbuckled and any given time.

- Beaufort, NC, USA

Aug 102017

F-150

While driving or sitting at a light, etc, the driver side seat belt will disengage without warning.

- Olive Branch, MS, USA

Jun 162017

F-150

Both front seatbelts (driver and passenger) randomly disengage either while driving or sitting motionless. Very unsafe!

- Lake Lure, NC, USA

May 112017

F-150

Passenger seatbelt releases without warning. This happens while the vehicle is moving at different speeds on city streets or highways every passenger that rides in my vehicle has the same problem

- Chandler, AZ, USA

Nov 172016

F-150

Purchased used in 2004. Having similar issue with driver side seat belt in that while truck is in motion my seat belt will come unbuckled randomly. This last happened Nov 17th 2016 and always happens when driving for more than 25 minutes or so and does happen on a city street or highway.

- Goodyear, AZ, USA

Nov 032016

F-150

Front passenger seat belt randomly disengages while in motion. Rear passenger seat belt buckle broken - black "sleeve" slides down exposing spring mechanism inside which is missing some plastic pieces. Front passenger has been a problem for a coupe of years. Backseat is fairly new.

- Biloxi, MS, USA

Aug 012016

F-150

Drivers side seat belt buckle releases randomly without warning. After buckling / latching seatbelt driver can pull hard on belt and won't release, then after driving for a random amount of time (30 seconds to 3 hours) the seat belt will release without warning. Replaced latch with alternative (2001 year and different color) 1L7Z 7861203 bab. I believe that this problem represents a serious safety issue with the confidence of a seatbelt's ability to perform in an accident defective part is available for inspection.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Aug 012016

F-150

Driver seat belt locked. Unable to buckle at all. When I pull the belt will not release.

- Mcintosh, AL, USA

Feb 152015

F-150

The contact owns a 2002 Ford F-150. While driving at approximately 5 mph, the front passenger side seat belt unlatched independently without warning. The contact mentioned that the failure recurred several times. The vehicle was taken to a dealer but was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 90,000.

- Margate , FL, USA

Jun 022015

F-150

Male end of seatbelt will not clamp into female portion

- Augusta, GA, USA

Jun 292012

F-150 8-cyl

My son was driving our 2002 Ford F-150 the first time the seatbelt disengaged. It happens often. I called the local dealership and they told me there is no recall on this seatbelt. I have let this go long enough. I am calling Ford to see what they can do about this potentially deadly problem. I just hope this helps others that have had problems with their F150 as well. There is numerous complaints about the seatbelts coming un- buckled on there own, what has to happen to get this problem fixed?

- Arlington, TX, USA

Jan 232013

F-150 4WD 6-cyl

The driver's seat belt comes unbuckled for no apparent reason while driving.

- Louisville, KY, USA

Oct 012012

F-150

I always latch my seat belt. I have been doing this since 1983. I never drive without my seat belt latched. For a couple of years my drivers side seat belt has been mysteriously becoming unlatched while driving down the road. I thought I just wasn't pushing it in far enough something I have never before had an issue with in any other vehicle. After a few miles of driving the seat belt becomes unlatched. It is very noticeable because it makes an audible click and recedes back slightly relieving any tension applied to my torso. For a long time I thought I was crazy and I had just been in a hurry or something. After the unclasping I reinsert it into the receiver then I jostle it and see if it unclasping again. I have never been able to cause it to become unclasped by jostling it and up till today it would never become unclasped after resetting it. It happens at all speeds. The frequency has increased to an estimated 1/3 of the trips that this happens. Well today I experienced it again and reinserted the seat belt and jostled it and continued driving. This time I didn't get a mile before it became unclasped again. Aha! I am not crazy. Okay that sounds a little like I am but I assure you I am not. This is a serious issue and it has taken me several years to finely prove to myself that the seat belt is defective. So because the driver can not reproduce the unclasping by manually jostling the seat belt we tell ourselves that it may not be the seat belt. This causes the driver to not take the required action of having the seat belt fixed. I have been driving with my life at risk for several years now. I called the local dealer and asked if they have heard of the issue in my vehicle year make and model and was told that they have received no other complaints. This seat belt needs to be recalled.

- Redding, CA, USA

Mar 022014

F-150

The contact owns a 2002 Ford F-150. While driving approximately 15 mph, the driver side seat belt unlatched. The failure occurred on several occasions. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The VIN was unavailable. The approximate failure mileage was 210,000.

- Peoria, AZ, USA

Jan 012010

F-150 4WD 6-cyl

Drivers seat belt disconnects on it's own, this happens multiple times during the course of driving.

- St Clair Shores, MI, USA

Apr 092013

F-150

Drivers seatbelt unlatched. Happens often.

- Pleasant Plains, AR, USA