2010 Ford F-150 brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Ford F-150:

2010 Ford F-150 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Jan 202018

F-150

The contact owns a 2010 Ford F-150. While driving at 72 mph, the vehicle accelerated rapidly on its own without warning. The brake pedal was applied, but the brakes failed to respond. The contact pulled the vehicle over to the side of the road. The vehicle was turned off and restarted, but the failure recurred. The vehicle was towed to F G evans Ford (270 us-431, livermore, ky 42352, (270) 684-6268), but was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 160,000.

- Owansboro, KY, USA

Sep 012017

F-150

Front brakes, front end shakes violently when applying brakes. Put new brakes and rotors on it and 6 months later doing the same thing. I keep having to tighten lug nuts because of it. Ford service advisor says unfortunately year models 2009- 2014 have a problem with rotors warping and Ford parts or after market parts will not fix it. He said they fixed the problem in 2015 but there there is not a fix for my year model? I drive the interstates a lot and I am afraid a wheel is going to come off.

- Rock Hill, SC, USA

Jul 162017

F-150

Ford F150 4X4 XLT, dash board keeps going out. Shows skidding, and tire sensor faulty, dingging, A/C goes hot, inside lights don't work. Has happened many times, spoke with Ford took it in, they stated they could not duplicate the problem, which we have found out is a lie. They stated we needed a new battery, which we had tested as well as the alternator and nothing wrong there either. We took it to advanced auto to see what they could tell us. A young man said that Ford had put out a inside notice that his buddy showed him of a faulty wiring harness in the dash. He asked if he could show us a short term fix...he smacked the dash and all the lights came back on. If we hit a bump it will do it again, or on really hot days, because of the heat. We are waiting on Ford to recall this as it is a serious hazard and maybe start fires. As sometimes you smell electrical, this happens daily when ever we drive the truck, you can have a wreck trying to smack it hard enough to get it to come back on. This happens when you are sitting in the truck, driving, or when you go to start it up...you will have no gauges, lights A/C or heat in the winter. Yet the outside lights will work, yet when you push the brakes you hear a loud clicking. This has been happening for approx. 2.5 yrs +...Ford needs to recall and fix this. Everyday we deal with this problems multiple times a day. We brought this truck new and it first did this around 23,000 miles. Now at just over 50,000 miles. There are times that smacking the dash does notwork and we have to wait for it to come on, those time you have to run with traffic or if others are passing you need to speed up. Very dangerous

- Osceola, MO, USA

May 032017

F-150

Brakes did not work without warning as Ford F150 2010 pulled from the driveway. Pedal was depressed to the floor without any brake function or warning light. Stopped the truck with parking brake. Truck had to be towed to the dealership. Brakes worked hours before in traffic. The dealership exchanged the master brake cylinder and the brake booster, in which the brake cylinder leaked fluid into.

- Santa Clarita, CA, USA

Jan 152017

F-150 4WD 8-cyl

Replaced factory front pads with auto parts pads. Then had rotors turned. Bled all four wheels because of air in one caliper. Worked well for few months then heard squealing noise. I checked brakes and both wheels had been worn out same sides of pads badly. One edge of outside of pads on both wheels totally warn out. My driver side rotor damaged and had some cracks. I took pads to auto parts salesman said common on those 150's. I looked up internet if any other owner had same problems and this is a yes. That owner new how to check and verify problem and told his dealer. Dealer fixed problem for free. Problem bad front caliper hoses, especially passenger side. I told my dealer. They said no recall. That doesn't mean no problems in my opinion. Please check! thank you. I will send photos when I repair my truck.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Dec 262016

F-150 4WD 8-cyl

While driving down a city street, the vehicle was suddenly unable to stop because the brake pedal was pushed all the way to the floor with complete brake loss, and the brake fluid warning lamp suddenly illuminated. The emergency brake was able to stop me and allow me to safely pull over. No fluid leakage was discovered upon initial look but the reservoir was empty. The solution involved locating the missing brake fluid which had leaked from the master cylinder into the brake booster, resulting in the brake loss. Upon replacing the defective master cylinder and brake booster, the brakes are okay now. This problem is identical to the summary identified under investigation PE-16-003 (see attached).

- Spring, TX, USA

Oct 032016

F-150

Braking system failing, ever since I drove it off the lot after purchase from dealership June 2015, I told them something was wrong with braking system, they say oh no new brakes. I put brand new brakes calipers rotors and pressure hoses on my truck. Every 1800 miles or less braking system is failing, every 1800 mile or less replacing pads and rotors. My pads are wearing so quickly and eating through rotors. As soon as I put new ones on theres brake dust instantly and always. Sometimes truck is braking on its own when not accelerating when I coasting vehicle. I have tried taking it to dealer they say nothing is wrong with it. I have had it for over a year now and it still continues to happen. Something is seriously wrong with this braking system.

- St Clair Shores, MI, USA

Jul 252016

F-150

My vehicle stop without warning. Had a $800 dollar tune-up. It has stopped several times since tune-up.I took it to two dealers they said they could not find any codes indicating their was a problem. It cuts off as I come to a stop or when I slow down to make a turn at slow speeds on city streets.

- Sherwood, AR, USA

Aug 212016

F-150

I was pulling onto an undivided two lane hwy. And was accelerating up to speed. The vehicle, without any type of warning, applied the brakes by itself causing it to veer hard left and pulling the truck into the oncoming traffic lane. The indicator light for traction control flashed on and off in the instrument panel and you could hear the ABS deploying. Lucky there was no one behind me or coming towards me. Very dangerous situation and quite frightening for my family. We live in a rural community and the dealership is over 50 miles away in one direction. Concerned about safely being able to get it in for diagnostics.

- Pacific City, OR, USA

Aug 012013

F-150

The contact owns a 2010 Ford F-150. While at a stop light with the brake pedal depressed, the contact had to apply extreme force to the brake pedal in order to stop the vehicle. The failure recurred on numerous occasions. The vehicle was taken to a dealer on multiple occasions, but the failure was unable to be diagnosed. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Bluefield, VA, USA

Mar 212016

F-150

The contact owns a 2010 Ford F-150. While attempting to stop the vehicle by depressing the brake pedal, the vehicle took a long time to stop. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the brake booster failed and would need to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Summerville, SC, USA

May 262016

F-150

The front brakes were not releasing. As I traveled around town completing some errands I smelt the brakes burning. When I returned home I discovered my calipers was not releasing. I have replaced the front rotors, brake lines and calipers.

- Walterboro, SC, USA

Apr 082016

F-150

Since December of 2015 we have had to replace brakes rotors and calipers 5 times. Brakes are eating into rotors in less then 800, miles. This is both sides front. Ford: The complete caliper assembly, bracket (anchor plate), brake pads, rotors and clips needs to be replaced due to sticking or binding of front brake caliper.

- St Clair Shores, MI, USA

Mar 102016

F-150

Traveling at 45 mph on a highway I applied brakes to slow down when the brake fluid level warning light came on. Brake pedal went all the way to the floor before slowing the vehicle, had to downshift and apply the emergency brake. Towed vehicle to the dealer where it was determined the master cylinder failed drawing brake fluid into the power brake booster. No visible sign of a brake fluid leak. Master cylinder and power brake booster must be replaced. Vehicle has 80,000 miles. Sounds like the same problem in a recall on 2014-15 F150 but no such recall for the 2010 F150.

- Fredericksburg, VA, USA

Jan 152016

F-150

Brake pads are not lasting more than one year and is losing brake fluid.

- Houston, TX, USA

Jul 292015

F-150

About 6:30 pm was driving home on I695 about 65 mph and my brakes failed I hit the brakes and I had no brakes went all the way to the floor I could not stop my truck. My front left wheel was smoking so I almost hit 2 cars trying to get over I had to run off the road to get my truck to stop. I want to know if anyone else had a problem with there brakes

- Baltimore, MD, USA

Jul 232015

F-150

After the truck sits for eight to 10 hours, when I start it up I have a very hard brake pedal and no brakes. This happens when I back out of the garage on a slight decline. If I stand on the brake with both feet it eventually begins to work. There were no dashboard warnings before I pulled out of the garage. This failure was very frightening. Imagine the feeling of no brakes! omg! I was headed for the neighbor's yard and big tree! I plan to pursue repair of this with my local service people. My research narrowed to an "electric vacuum assist pump" issue being investigated by the nhtsb which sounds exactly like what's happened to me.

- Lake Elmo, MN, USA

Mar 112015

F-150

While backing out of a driveway I initially had no brakes until I pushed the brake pedal excessively hard. Once the brakes started to work they were fine. Seems to happen shortly after starting the truck. This has happened several times since.

- Romeoville, IL, USA

Oct 012014

F-150

The contact owns a 2010 Ford F-150. The contact stated that the front brake pads froze to the rotors causing the caliper to separate. The failure damaged the pistons and caused brake fluid to leak from the master cylinder. The contact was able to engage the emergency brake. The vehicle was towed to the local mechanic and the brake calipers, pads, and rotors were replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 108,000.

- Moorehead, MN, USA

Feb 032011

F-150 4WD 8-cyl

While breaking to stop at an intersection the truck unintentionally accelerates and will not stop. The ABS brake pulsations continued walking the F150 into the intersection as the engine rpms climbes. I put it in neutral, the engine revves very high, I released the brake and then slammed it back down. The rpms drop to normal and the truck stoppes. It has done this once every year since 2011. It shows no trouble codes and won't do it for the Ford service technicians.

- Gunnison, CO, USA