9.0

$2,460

1. replace master cylinder (8 reports)
  2. replace booster pump (6 reports)
  4. replace brakes (2 reports)
  5. replace vacuum pump, booster and 4 wheel drive solenoids (2 reports)
2013 Ford F-150 brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Ford F-150:

2013 Ford F-150 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Aug 102018

F-150 STX 5.0L V8

This is the 3rd time the brake master cylinder has been replaced in my truck. It seems the problem is not covered by the drive train warranty so I had to pay for the first one, after that it was covered since it has occurred within the last 4 months. Somebody is going to be killed or seriously injured. It is a dangerous problem that needs to be addressed by Ford. They keep fixing the problem with the same faulty part.

I have had Ford products for a very long time and this is the first time I've felt my life has been put in danger from the manufacture. Brakes are an essential part of the vehicle. It's a sinking feeling when you go to stop and there are no brakes to do so. This last time it happened I had to drive the truck for almost 3 weeks with the brake issue, till the dealer could get my truck into the shop to fix the problem.

- Stephen H., miton, PA, US

Sep 012017

F-150 FX Ecoboost 3.5L V6

Ford really screwing over the customers by not covering their known problems with the 2013 Master Brake cylinder leaking into the Brake Booster.

- dq, Niceville, US

Sep 012017

F-150 Platinum 3.5L V6 Ecoboost

At 32,000 miles 2013 f150 platinum 4x4 front and rear rotors warped and had to be turned and replace front brake pads. Unbelievable!! Far last 3 or 4 months Brake system light comes on the dash. I hit ok and it disappears for a day or so. I've had it to my local shop several times. They can't find anything wrong. Yesterday Sep 1, 2017 I'm driving through local mall parking lot and coming up to 4 way stop and brake pedal goes to the floor. Thank god there wasn't someone walking in front of me or a car stopped. I called Ford and they said this truck is not covered in the recall for Master cylinder and brake booster replacement. What a crock!!

- Matt A., Lakeway, US

Aug 302017

F-150 STX 5.0L

I started the truck and the "LOW BRAKE FLUID" light came on. I drove to the nearest repair facility (about 4.7 miles) upon arrival the brakes went to the floor, after pumping the h$ll out of them I barely stopped before crashing into a group of cars.

Come to find out the master cylinder is blowing fluid into the Brake Power Booster on each press of the brakes. This happened all of the sudden and could have been very deadly if not for the fact that I was going very slow to begin with due to traffic.

Now why, after not even 30K miles would this catastrophic failure happen?

- Jim D., Queen Creek, AZ, US

Aug 072017

F-150 FX4 3.5L V6

click to see larger images

brake failure

I am writing to inform you of my 2013 F150 FX4 Ecoboost BRAKE ISSUE that cost me $8,847.24 to fix from Wayne Akers Ford Service Dept.

2013 Ford F150 FX4 Ecoboost Mileage 80,907 VIN 1FTFW1ET5DKF34994

Aug 7th I was driving from my home in Atlanta, Ga to visit my mother in Florida. A trip that I make 2 -3 times a year in this vehicle. While driving on interstate I-95 in South Florida my Check Brake System light came on and I noticed that the brakes were not working. The brake pedal was VERY hard to push and made a horrible noise when I could them to stop. I immediately called and made an appointment to drop the vehicle off at 7:30am the next morning at Wayne Akers Ford in Lake Worth, FL.

I was able to drive the vehicle to the dealer very slowly due to the brakes not working, but made it there at 7:30am on Aug 8th. Johnny was the service person that I was assigned.

I received a call from Johnny two days later, Aug. 10th , that there was a “major issue and that I may need a new motor”. I did not understand what he was saying due to the fact it was the brakes that I brought the vehicle in to them for, not the motor. I drive to Wayne Akers to talk with Johnny in person and see what was going on.

When I arrived, they the top off the motor and said that the vacuum pump was broken and caused the cam to lock up. This was the time that they also said that the engine had sludge in in and ask if I have ever changed the oil. I did not know why they were asking that, but I did provide them that day with the last oil change information that was performed on this vehicle (2600 miles before this). The service manager than asked that I provide every oil change receipt since buying the truck in 2013. Please remember that i do not live here and all my paperwork and files are at my home in Atlanta, over 600 miles away.

At this point they gave me 3 options. Used Engine $8301.01 1-2 week Reman Engine $7645.16 4-6 weeks New Engine $9,845.73 1 week

We I explained to them that I can’t be away from my current job for 4-6 weeks, Johnny offered to have Enterprise Car Rental work on a monthly rate for me.

The only option I had was to replace with new engine, even though it was NOT the engine that was to issue when I bought it in, it was the brakes.

On Aug 21st at 3pm, Johnny calls me to tell me the vehicle is ready. I go back to Wayne Akers pay a bill for $8,847.24 for a new engine so I can drive back home.

This whole experience was very troubling from the brakes not working on a busy interstate, to having to pay almost $9K to just go home.

- Barry B., Acworth, GA, US

Jun 012017

F-150 3.5L

Brakes went completely out while driving, had to use emergency brake to finally stop truck. Found out there is a recall for 2013-2014 Ford F-150 for this problem, however, Ford did take a report today, but, they said this truck not under the recall because it was made on 9-19-2012 and the ones under the recall were built in 2013. Funny that this is the EXACT problem yet not considered part of this recall. We have reported it and waiting on the investigation. The repair involved replacing the master brake cylinder and the brake booster which cost $1193.25. We were lucky no one was injured or worse. Just hope they do a very good investigation and hope this does not happen to anyone else. The other note is, the oil did not leak out onto the ground, so no visible problem was seen, the oil went into the booster.

- Sharon H., Homosassa, US

Feb 032017

F-150 Lariat 3.5L Eco

i get a surprise update during an oil change at the dealership, going from all OK at 29000 miles to 'hey you have critical wear on an inner brake pad and you need to replace your brakes and rotors right away!

I have not yet replace them, however at a cost of at least $450 - potentially more this is a crock. for the minimal use this type of wear so early in the mileage is a frikin' rip off. when you spend over $50K on a vehicle you would expect general parts last at least as long as all that cheap crap out there. i thought Ford was quality? what a rip off.

- Dick M., Oregon, WI, USA

Jun 282016

F-150 Lariat 3.2L V6

I had NO warning that this was going to happen other than a message popping up on my gauge that said BRAKE FLUID IS LOW and then my brakes went completely out. I hit the "ok" button to acknowledge the message and then tried my brakes and the pedal went straight to the floor with no resistance. I frantically pumped the brakes and was able to get the vehicle to stop. Fortunately, I was in a parking lot at the time and not driving as I usually would have been at the time this occurred. I had to have the vehicle towed to the dealership for repair and they NEVER told me there was supposed to be a recall issued for this problem.

My master cylinder broke and was leaking fluid into the brake booster, and I found that Ford finally issued a recall notice for this in May 2016. The dealership never said a word about this, I found out from doing my own research on the internet this afternoon. This is a serious issue that could have turned into a deadly issue had I been driving on the street at the time and hit someone else because I was unable to stop my vehicle. I have 11000 miles on this vehicle, I am severely disappointed that Ford has allowed this to happen without issuing an immediate recall.

- Sandra Y., Las Vegas, NV, US

Mar 132016

F-150 Lariat Ecoboost

brake pedal to the floor, no brakes, dash e lights on

Ford will never fix this or any problem. They are the worst company in the world at standing behind there failures that many have brought forward. They had field engineers working on my truck at 4000 miles new, admitted they had a problem and said they would keep working on fix for the vibration problem it has. 42K miles later they still don't have a fix. Every year this truck has had major failure since bought new. Most times dealers just say they cannot find or fix the problem because there is no code. Probably another cover up in the code programming by Ford. Ford needs to step up and fix this and many other problems they have.

Update from Mar 19, 2016: Truck health report taken on the truck same day of no brake incident showed no problems with the brake system. The truck just had a major brake fault, lights on the dash flashing and not being able to brake. Ford is not even sending fault codes to the trucks data log system. This has got to be illegal and another way they get away with saying nothing is wrong when you take it to the dealership and they say nothing is wrong, which I have had with other issues. Fortunately in this case the dealership did find the vacuum pump had failed, causing damage to the boost pump and the hydraulic solenoids for the 4 wheel drive. All components had to be replaced, 4 days in the shop. It was covered under the 60K mile power train warranty. Got luck no one was killed running through a stop sign when brakes didn't work.

- Steve B., New Holstein, WI, USA

Dec 242015

F-150

Driving home from shopping, Brake fluid low light came on. Checked for leaks and saw none. Stopped at auto parts store and purchased a can of DOT3 brake fluid and filled the empty reservoir. Drove home., Next day reservoir was empty again, limped to it in to Ford dealer (with pedal going to floor) and dropped key in the Night drop. Took a couple of days to get parts and was repaired, Warranty ticket says they replaced both brake booster and master cylinder. Their cost on the ticket $524.93. I hope the NTSB can investigate before someone is killed for a faulty design on the braking system.

- Dan N., Orlando, FL, USA

Jul 122015

F-150 XLT Crewcab 3.6L V6 Ecoboost

My family and I were driving down I-75 from Atlanta to Marietta, brake warning lights came on displaying low fluid. Made it to next exit, filled the reservoir. Drove less than two miles and the same thing happened. Pull into a Bridgestone, they checked and could not identify the issue, recommended it be taken to a dealer. The truck is at the dealership now, being evaluated. This issue could have resulted in causalities. This appears to be a know issue to Ford and they are not actively recalling these vehicles. I am a truly disappointed Ford Owner. I will most likely get rid of this vehicle. Not SAFE.

- Ray W., Marietta, GA, USA

Aug 182015

F-150 Eco Boost V6

2013 F150 with just over 36,000 miles (out of warranty), brake pedal goes right to the floor. Checked for leaks.. there were none. Brake fluid reservoir was empty. Towed to Ford dealership, they said the brake booster and master cylinder were bad. $800 fix! Oh, and the parts were on a Nationwide backorder. It would be 5 weeks before the parts com in. Are you kidding me! This is my work truck for my small business! No truck = No work.

- Darren M., Hemet, USA

Aug 092015

F-150 V69

I purchased a 2013 Ford F150 May 1, 2014, brand new. I only have 9000 on the vehicle. On Sunday August 9, 2015 I went to leave my house and discovered I had no brakes coming up to a major intersection. If a car had been coming it would have hit me or could have killed me.

I am getting the run around from the dealership a different story every day. I do not and will never feel safe in this vehicle again. The fear that I felt that day is indescribable. I thought this is it, I'm going to be hit and or killed.

I think that Ford should buy back my vehicle I do not want to be put in another Ford truck or to have this one repaired and given back to me. Upon looking on-line, this has happened to several people and the parts master cylinder and brake booster are on back order. So this means it has happened alot. This is very dangerous and could kill some one. I am going to get the advice of an attorney.

- machellet, LaGrange, GA, USA

Jul 142015

F-150 Xltcrewcab 3.5L

STARTED TRUCK TO GO HOME, NO BRAKES! PEDAL WENT TO THE FLOOR. CALLED FOR THE HOOK. PARTS AND REPAIR TOOK 9 DAYS. SCARED THIS WILL HAPPEN AGAIN? WILL NOT BUY ANOTHER FORD PRODUCT. 10,700 MILES FORD F150 XLT 4X2 SUPER CREW BOUGHT NEW. THIS IS A MAJOR PROBLEM.

- parnold, Orlando, FL, USA

Jun 092015

F-150 XLT 3.6L V6

Started truck to back up, NO BRAKES! Pedal went o the floor. Dash said "Warning! Low brake fluid". Was perfect 2 minutes before. Limped it to Ford place I bought the vehicle, and the master cylinder was empty, but no indication of leaks anywhere.They put two cans of brake fluid in, put the truck on the lift and told me the fluid had gone into the big unit in front of the master cylinder.

Had to order parts and would take a couple of days to come in. Issued me a rental. That was great......BUT, reading of this problem here makes me wonder if this will happen again! I could be coming down a hill and this master cylinder goes again. Now to they assure me they have fixed my problem? Another of the same MC COULD REPEAT THIS ISSUE. There could be life threatening consequences the next time.

Ford needs to really address this problem. This not like engine power or the windshield wiper motor went out. This truly dangerous!

- Bj F., Oxford, AL, USA

Jun 032015

F-150 FX4 Eccoboost

While driving to work the low brake fluid light came on. Fortunately I still had brakes at that time, but when I came out after work to start the truck, the brake pedal went to the floor. I filled the master cylinder with brake fluid and still no brakes. Had truck towed to dealer.

Dealer determined the master cylinder and brake booster were bad. Not covered under power train warranty. The only warranty I still have since over 36,000 miles on vehicle. Service rep said it would take a while to get the parts because they are on nationwide back order. That tells me that there are major problems if they are on nation wide back order.

This is a problem that could kill people. Had I been driving through the mountains like I planned to be in a few days then this would have disastrous. Why has Ford not had a recall on the brake system??? I bought this truck new in December 2013, so I have only owned it for 1 1/2 years. Brakes should never fail completely on cars made today. These repairs should not be at my expense. I will be scared to drive my truck when I get it back and I'm not sure what truck to buy next. Scared to buy a Ford now.

- Dale T., Spring Lake, NC, USA

Jan 092015

F-150 V6

Ford F150 2013, bought in 2014, 13,000 miles. No warning! Wife backing out of driveway..no brakes! No warning, no dash lights. children under age of 6 in vehicle...she panicked..threw into park...(maybe emergency brakes would have worked better?) Damage to F150...damage to Son in laws vehicle. Ford admits defect in Mastercylinder..but have to turn in report to "Legal Division" to see if they will pay for damages. Meantime...filed with State Farm Auto...$1000 on comprehensive...$1000 on collision. Notified State Farm there is a defect in Ford F 150 Mastercylinder. It will be interesting to see how this turns out! (Replaced Mastercylinder with "Same" part...that is known defective??)

Will trade in once repairs are made..No confidence in this defective part...could have been MUCH WORSE!!

- David V., Mobile, AL,, USA

Dec 042014

F-150 FX 5.0L

MY SON WAS DRIVING ONE OF OUR COMPANY TRUCKS BACK TO OFFICE TO NIGHT, WHEN HE HAD TOTAL BRAKE FAILURE WITH NO WARNING ALMOST SMASHED INTO A SEMI THAT WAS SLOWING DOWN TO TURN. THANK GOD HE SWITCHED LANES AND STARTED DROPPING GEARS ON SHIFTER . THIS IS UNHEARD OF IN MY 50 YEARS OF AUTOMOTIVE EXPERIENCE RESTORING OLD CARS ETC..UNLESS IT WAS A SINGLE MASTER CYLINDER.

WE TOWED IT BACK TO OFFICE AND TAKING IT TO GARAGE IN MORNING PLUS CALLING FORD . I WILL KEEP YOU POSTED. I WORK FOR ALL THE OIL COMPANIES UP HERE AND THE SAFETY DEPARTMENTS IN ALL OF THEM (MOSTLY AMERICAN NOW) ARE VERY SERIOUS ABOUT A ISSUE LIKE THIS WHICH I WILL BE SUBMITTING TO THEM ALL WHICH IS POSTED ACROSS NORTH AMERICA AS A HAZARD AND SAFETY ALERT. THIS WAS A NEAR MISS.

- mustang500, Beaverlodge, Alberta, Canada

Sep 242014

F-150 Lariat V6 Eco

On September 24, 2014, my wife was backing the truck out of the garage and the brake pedal went to the floor without stopping the vehicle. She applied the parking brake to stop the truck. Truck was towed to selling dealer for repair. Dealer reported that the Master Brake Cylinder failed.

One item of note was that there were NO warning indicators on the dash or computer!!!!!

- casur001, Inver Grove Heights, MN, USA

Aug 312014

F-150 Lariat Ecoboost V6

My 2013 f150 had a total brake failure coming out of the garage. I am so blessed I wasn't on a freeway and killed a family or multiple families with this brakeless truck. I had it towed to Bob Tomas Ford in McKinney to fix the issue. The service guy was very nice and honest, but said the part is on back order and it will take a week to get it. I asked why it was on back order, is there an issue with the part and he said, that could be the issue. I said I do not want the same part put back in that appears to have an issue, and that I want a letter from Ford saying that the replacement part will not fail like the last one, they would not do it. The part that failed is the booster pump and there are many complaints on the internet for this problem and the waiting and back log issue also being an issue.

I escalated the issue to corporate and asked them to write a letter or buy my truck back, they said they will not. I asked for the Regional VP's name and number to discuss the situation and she said ford does not allow her to give me their name or number.

The brakes should not fail 100% they should have a front and rear isolation, enabeling one to stop. The brake design/booster pump/master cylinder combination appears to be flawed and can kill many people. However, profit over safety appears to be in practice at ford....

Ford has really disappointed me 100%, very sad! I initally chose ford because they did not take the bailout, but maybe they should have....sad, sad, sad!!!

- David C., Celina, TX, USA