8.4

2020 Ford F-150 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2020 Ford F-150:

2020 Ford F-150 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

May 042022

F-150

This safety problem has happened twice in the last 3 months without warning. There are no check engine or service lights on of any kind. I was operating my vehicle on paved city roads driving at normal pace for the conditions. First time this incident happened I was driving approximately 25 mph beginning to scrub speed for a stoplight. Without warning the vehicle shutoff and had no power to anything. The warning on the dash said put vehicle in park to restart. I had to park on a 45mph road with traffic and no shoulder to restart my vehicle. After this first incident I took my vehicle to the dealership and they were unable to find anything wrong. The second time this same incident happened was yesterday 5/4/22. I was turning right at approximately 10-12mph and vehicle shutoff without warning. Lost power to all systems. I had to again park the vehicle on a busy road abruptly to restart, only after having to place vehicle in park. Pending visit to dealership on Monday 5/9/22. Ford has also been contacted and incidents documented.

- Overland Park, KS, USA

Apr 262022

F-150

When at a stop sign, with the auto start stop engaged, I went to accelerate and the engine stalled with the following message of "auto start stop shift to P, then restart engine". This was extremely dangerous and a safety issue that Ford needs to fix. I was in the middle of an intersection and thankful no other vehicles approaching. I had to shift to Park, turn ignition switch off and restart engine. Vary concerning in driving this vehicle anymore!

- Waunakee, WI, USA

Feb 262022

F-150

Ii stopped at a stop sign and the auto stop feature engaged. As I began to pull out the engines started and then stalled. I received an error message in the message center above the steering wheel, it said -AUTO STOP START SHIFT TO P THE RESTART THE ENGINE-. Fortunately it was a secondary road. There was a car coming but I was able to coast to the side of the road, activate my flashers before he arrived. I put the vehicle in park and was able to restart the engine without a problem. It did not happen again.

- Nazareth, PA, USA

May 012020

F-150

Every time I drive on the highway at speeds over 45+ mph and a load is on the engine and boost is 5+ psi, the truck shudders and shakes like an engine miss. I took it to the dealership 3 times for this and each time they say it is the transmission and it is "normal". Something is seriously wrong with it. It feels like the engine is going to let loose.

- Moseley, VA, USA

Jan 032022

F-150

4 times this has happened while on the road in traffic: the truck when slowing down around 20mph will shut off and an error message appears on the dash cluster saying "auto startstop shift to p, then restart engine". This put me in major risk of being rear-ended each time as I do not have the ability sometimes to pull off to the side of the road to shift the vehicle into park and restart the engine. Already took it to the ford dealership once and they said that they could not replicate the same condition.

- Moseley, VA, USA

Dec 162021

F-150

Transmission shifts hard and searches for a gear. Loud noises from power train when stopping

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Sep 012021

F-150

engine makes a metallic noise, spark knock sound at lower speeds 10- 40 mph. Talk to ford dealer and was told to drive it till it codes. There was nothing they could check otherwise. There is 39,000 miles on it.

- Fairgrove, MI, USA

Sep 032021

F-150

The contact owns a 2020 Ford F-150. The contact stated that while his wife was driving 55 MPH, the vehicle lost motive and electronic power. The vehicle rolled to a complete stop. After approximately five minutes a message on the center display stated, -Shift vehicle to Park and restart-. The vehicle was restarted and driven to the residence. The next day the contact had the vehicle towed to a local dealer. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 23,000.

- Gore, VA, USA

Sep 032021

- Gore, VA, USA

Jul 222021

F-150

2020 F-150 with the 5.0 engine uses over 2 quarts of oil in 2000 miles. Had the oil changed in April with the odometer reading 6300 miles, checked the oil at 8366 miles and it was barley on the dipstick. Went to the local Ford dealer and Service Manager said that 1 quart in 1500 miles is normal. This is over 2 quarts in 2000 miles so they are going to do an Oil Consumption test on the engine. I am unaware if TSB 19-2365 was done on the vehicle prior to buying it in April 2020. I have also reported the issue to Ford HQ and have a case number with them.

- Fredericksburg, VA, USA

Jul 182021

F-150

1) Truck's EcoBoost motor suddenly shut-down without any clear warning....Vehicle Is available to inspect. 2) Turning into a busy road, from a stop at a traffic light, had no power to exit road with traffic in front of and behind my truck. I had enough rolling inertia to glide into the nearest open parking lot. When this sudden motor shut-down occurred, my left turning blinker began to blink rapidly, a buzzing was heard coming from under the dash board near glove box, a red battery warning light was seen on instrument panel indicating no power. I stopped my truck, put it into park and tried several times to re-start my motor. That failed to start several times. Finally, I was able to start the motor and with great caution was able to drive to my home. 3) Problem confirmed by a Ford Service Dealer 4) Vehicle has been inspected by the Ford Service where I purchased the vehicle about a year ago...9546 miles on the vehicle, now. Service technician connected a diagnostic computer to my vehicle and found..."A Communication Error Fault with a code." No code number was on the tech's report, however. Date of this Incident was: July 18, 2021, Sunday

- Aiken, SC, USA

Jul 062021

F-150

While driving on a city street, the engine suddenly stopped. A message on the instrument cluster display said something to the effect of "Auto StartStop. Put vehicle in 'P' and start the engine". Vehicle has less that 4000 miles on it. THIS IS A VERY DANGEROUS EVENT, and if it should occur in heavy traffic, could result in serious injury or death. Have not yet been to the dealer. Making this complaint immediately since a quick check shows other owners reporting this event with their vehicles on this official site as well as on many unofficial forums, indicating that this is a common occurrence with the product and not this specific vehicle.

- Titusville, FL, USA

Jun 102021

F-150

On two occasions (4/18 and 6/10) the vehicle shut off while driving. A dashboard message said -put vehicle in park and restart engine-. The dealer service center could not find the cause. I contacted Ford Motor Company and was given a case number and the vehicle was checked again at the dealer service center in conjunction with Ford Motor Company via phone. No cause was found. I was told it most likely was a one time fluke. After the second event on 6/10 I drove immediately to the service center. I took a picture of the dashboard message. Again, no cause could be found. I reported this to the Ford Customer Experience Specialist. I asked the specialist for the email address of someone with higher authority or in their safety department and was told if I did not want to continue with Ford -someone higher would be the Better Business Bureau-. Both instances of the truck shutting off have been on residential streets while driving about 20 MPH. I have repeatedly voiced my fear that the vehicle would shut off while on the highway or thruway and the result could be catastrophic.

- Hornell, NY, USA

May 122021

F-150

My vehicle would not exit out of a drive or moving until I stopped the vehicle and disconnected the neg battery cable. The vehicle stayed in a state of high rpms. There were no warning signs and no warnings displayed on the truck display. This is the second "speeding out of control" situation in two days. I fear for the safety of myself, my family, and everyone around me. I don't know what triggers the onset of this condition. I exited from state highway 5 onto exit 104 (hwy 101) and took a left on mud bay road. I was traveling 30-35 mph when I began to slow down to almost a complete stop to make the right turn into the swimming facility. My truck would not slow down. I pushed he brakes very hard to prevent the truck from speeding uncontrollably. I pulled in to a parking spot as best as I could. The truck rpms were maxed. I own an automatic drive. With my foot on the brake, I shifted from D to N. there was a loud sound of gears during the shift. The truck rpms were still maxed out. I turned off the truck and placed the truck in P. I also enabled the parking brake. I started the truck and the truck rpms were still maxed out. I kept the truck running for an additional 30 seconds. My wife and bystanders indicated that there was a burning smell emanating from the truck. I turned off the truck and the truck displayed an "overheating" warning. I allowed the truck to cool down and disconnected the neg battery cable for 15 min. After I reconnected the neg cable, the truck reset to normal running conditions. I have owned the truck for three months and the truck is still under factory warranty. The dealership that I bought it from does not acknowledge that 2020 F-150S have had problems with the transmission/engine. I will take my truck there tomorrow (13may2021) for them to view the error codes.

- Dupont, WA, USA

May 032021

F-150

I was turned up a driveway and the truck stalled the warning light said auto start stop put in P and start engine. I turned off auto start stop and put in P and it started

- Trenton, MI, USA

Apr 222021

F-150

For the 3rd time while I was driving my 2020 F150 stx with only 4,218 miles the engine shut off completely and displayed 'auto startstop shift to P, then restart engine' on the dash display. The last time this happened was on 4/22/21 I was driving through a street going about 20 mph. Fortunately, there were no vehicle in front of me or behind me and I was not trying to turn at an intersection which could have resulted in a collision. The same thing had happened on 3/18/21 while driving on a street going about 15 mph. And the first time this happened was on 2/20/21 I was pulling in to my driveway so stopping and doing so was not a safety problem. I am really concerned about this problem I felt very unsafe in my truck if this problem doesn't get resolved people can get in to an accident and get seriously injured or killed. I did some research online and also checked my VIN for any recalls and I was surprised to not find any. From researching online forums the auto start/stop function appears to be faulty and needs to be fixed/recalled before someone is seriously injured or killed. This issue appears to be widespread and across multiple model years. On 4/24/21 I took my truck to the dealership where I purchased it the tech called me and told me that they ran several tests and the truck did not give any problem codes. For safety dealership said they did not want me to drive truck so they would keep it and would contact Ford to report issue and wait for their recommendation. I'm still waiting for update. I hope Ford takes this issue seriously and does a recall.

- Montclair, CA, USA

Mar 242021

F-150

While I was driving through a parking lot, and turning slightly left, the engine shut off completely and displayed "auto startstop shift to P, then restart engine" on the dash display. Fortunately, I was not trying to turn and cross traffic on a highway which could have resulted in a catastrophic T-bone collision. The auto start/stop function appears to be faulty and needs to be fixed/recalled before someone is seriously injured or killed. From researching online forums, the issue appears to be widespread and across multiple model years.

- Gainesville, FL, USA

Mar 232021

F-150

Vehicle was slowing at an intersection with foot on brake. Lifted foot off and moved to accelerator to turn right onto the main road. Engine shut off and there was no response on acceleration. Dashboard chimed and gave the warning "auto startstop shift to P, then restart engine." Managed to pull the vehicle off to the side of the road. Shifted to park, restarted engine.

- Elkton, MD, USA